main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Jedi Order Advice

Discussion in 'Literature' started by De4dC3ll, Oct 31, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It was the non-Denning NJO books that made them a rising power, though, starting with DJ and whatever book had them get hit by Centerpoint with.

Now, Denning did bring some of the YJK characters back to the foreground, which included Tenal, so he did contribute somewhat. But Hapes was already coming back before Denning started his redemption efforts in DNT, Tempest & whichever novel brought in the twins.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    don't listen to these people. you need to read at almost all of these books. Whoever gave these bad reviews is an idiot. This series is a masterpiece. The only one i would skip is Agent of Chaos Heroes Trial. Most of it is Han being a mess because of Chewie. Most of these novels are crucial to the series. I agree that Dark Journey is not too great. so skip that. The rest, you need to read.

Manisphere likes this.
  3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Hero's Trial is AWESOME. Especially if you are a fan of the old Brian Daley novels.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I'd recommend Hero's Trial. Both Agents of Chaos books, really.

They're not the best books in the series, but they're far from the worst.

5. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Not a huge fan of Agents of Chaos, but I wouldn't suggest skipping them either, as they are important for Han's arc. Hero's Trial also introduces the Yuuzhan Vong high priest Harrar, who'll be important later on (though the characterization of Harrar as a straight-up villain here feels rather at odds with the more conflicted depiction of him later in the series). and Jedi Eclipse has an early appearance from the also-significant-later Nas Choka. Oh, and Hero's Trial also has Vergere, who'll be big news later on. So my take- not the best books in the series, but don't skip them, they do lay the groundwork for important things later on.

6. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    To be honest there isn't a book I'd recommend you don't read but then I'm a stickler for wanting to know all the facts and details so for me reading the whole series in order to really know everything is a necessity. I do find Dark Journey to be the weakest of the novels and the hardest to read as it can be a little tedious, plus it's very easy to catch up on what you may have missed in it in Allston's follow up, but if you can get into it there are moments that can be enjoyable. If you were to skip the Fore Heretic trilogy you'd be missing out on some great moments in Remnant. Whilst I don't feel the other two books quite live up to their potential, I do fell the first one starts off very well.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, Jedi Eclipse used them as someone you could borrow one fleet from, which is consistent with COPL, and DJ just had them holed up, trying to come back from their losses, and Jaina stumbles her way there. It's only in DN and LOTF that they're providing multiple fleets -- about 40% as much as the entire GA -- and are critical players in every war. It's a whole different level.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but we see the GA and it's allies ramping up military production (or, rather, the results of the military ramp up bearing fruit) circa DW, so, it would follow that the Hapans would also have ramped up their fleet numbers (with more motivation to replace what was lost), at least by time you hit DNT 6 years later.

Though 40% does seem too high, if that's the case.

9. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Well like a lot of the people on the boards I believe you should read them all. But if you can not for whatever reason, these are the essential ones:

Destiny's Way
    Edge of Victory: Conquest
    Edge of Victory: Rebirth
    Star by Star
    Enemy Lines: Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines: Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    The Final Journey
    The Unifying Force

10. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    You have Destiny's Way twice... do you mean Vector Prime?

11. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Yes I meant Vector Prime, I just wasn't thinking

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i know the main 5 to read are Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star by Star, Destiny's Way and The Unifying Force

13. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    You'll miss some of the best books in the series doing that, though- Edge of Victory duology, Enemy Lines duology, Traitor, Final Prophecy... You could probably get the gist of the story from the "condensed NJO" as I've seen the five hardcovers called, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless you're desperate to read the series but lack the time/money to invest in the whole thing.

14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I feel like if the Edge of Victory books are on the list and the Enemy Lines are on the list then The Dark Tide Duology deserve to be there too. Some folks think them too dark but they're great. I utterly loved them.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Edge of Victory: Conquest
    Edge of Victory: Rebirth
    Star by Star
    Enemy Lines: Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines: Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    The Final Journey
    The Unifying Force

Sorry i think Onslaught and Jedi Trial are very crucial and should be read.