main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jedi vs Prequel Jedi

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JediLord, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    ok, this is not a dig on the EU, but the NJO is crappy compared to the Old. And I know it is b/c they do not have access to all the inof that the OJO did, and I am not speaking about how powerful or who would win in a fight.

I am talking about behavior. With a few expceptions, the NJOseem like immature Jedi rejects sometimes. Kyp Durron is one. So is Tahiri. Kyp should have learned his lesson from JAT. But, I guess murdering billions fades after a few months.

Tahiri pouts whenever she doesn't get chosen for a mission.

Even Jacen was worrying me for a while, with his "I'm scared if i sneeze, I might use the Force and the aggression from the sneeze might turn me to the Dark Side" phase. Hopefully, he will grow out of that.

Anakin is the most Jedi like I think. Though his little rescue attempt of Tahiri, relying purely on his emotional state was kinda pushing it.

Luke even turned into a wuss, afraid that fighting the Vong (you hear that, Tahiri? VONG!) would lead to the Dark Side.

Um...if the republic is being attacked by the VONG, and you defend it, how is that a problem?

Basically, the NJO has turned into two sides, the macho thugs and the wussy pacifists. Compared with the OJO, the new guys suck.

2. Dead_Bothan_Spy

Dead_Bothan_Spy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2002
    If the Old Jedi were so good, how come they're dead?

3. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    an excelent point...

But JediLord does have a good point too. I think theyre more immature because they are virtually starting from scratch. What are the standards for knighthood in the NJO? It seemed pretty vigerous in the OJO. For example, Obi-Wan wasn't knighted till he was in his 20's and here's all these teenage knights running around in the NJO...

4. Dead_Bothan_Spy

Jul 16, 2002
    Perhaps.
    But JediLord only gives examples of the flaws and limitations of the new Jedi, not what makes the prequel era Jedi superior.
    Consider some of these examples:

Qui-Gon Jinn: Too stubborn and self-righteous to do anything but argue with authority. His strict adherence to the here-and-now blinds him to the big-picture consequences of his actions.

Anakin Skywalker: Puts his own selfish and hormone driven feelings above his duty and committments to the greater good, thus sacrificing all he holds dear and plunging the galaxy into a darkness that will not be expunged for decades to come.

The Jedi Council: Old people, fearful of change, and unwilling to get off their high-horses.

5. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    I just think that not having a tie to old tradition has just left them a group of somewhat lost people trying to hone powers they know little about. Only ONE guy kinda knows about the past of the jedi.

I think making so many jedi so soon was just a foolish idea.

Jedi Council: maybe if Qui-Gon and Anakin had payed them more heed...I dunno I'm grasping at straws here.

6. Dead_Bothan_Spy

Jul 16, 2002
    I'll stipulate that training so many new Jedi with only limited knowledge of the Force and the secrets of old wasn't a great idea.
    But one could argue it was the old Jedi's inability to deviate from their standards and traditions that allowed them to be annihilated.

7. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    that's true, but then agian, how can you tell NJO jedi wouldn't suffer the same fate?

8. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    that's true, but then agian, how can you tell NJO jedi wouldn't suffer the same fate?

Because without Jedi in the books, the EU would lose a lot of fans and LFL wouldn't make as much money :)

9. Dead_Bothan_Spy

Jul 16, 2002
    Well, if I'm understanding your question correctly, the new Jedi would have to adopt a definitive doctrine or tradition before they could let it corrupt them through their adherence to it.

EDIT:
    Excuse me, but when did we throw open the doors to anyone but Fossy and me in this thread? ?[face_plain]

;)
    :p

10. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    Nichos_Marr: Good point

Bothan: So that's how they did it. I always wondered. Still I don't think they'd last much longer.

11. Dead_Bothan_Spy

Jul 16, 2002
    Well, we'll see how it plays out.

12. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Nicolas_Mar? :(

Excuse me, but when did we throw open the doors to anyone but Fossy and me in this thread?

You didn't. I broke down the doors and stormed in :) :p

Oh and I think the New Jedi will find out all about the Prequel Jedi after Episode III and the NJO. They'll probably then use this information to determine what brought about the destruction of the prequel Jedi and how they could avoid it :D

13. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    Sorry, I fixed see?

14. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Nicos_Marr? :(

It's Nichos_Marr. Damn, I need an easier username...

15. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    AAH!! I have dyslecsic skippy fingers!!

16. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    It's okay...

*Gives FoS a thumbs up*

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/jarjartongue.gif]

17. Dead_Bothan_Spy

Jul 16, 2002
    Best impression of Captain McCallister from The Simpsons.

"Arrrghh! That'll replace the whale in m' nightmares."

18. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    We don't know that Qui Gon was wrong about anything yet. Have to wait and see on that. Anakin, yes has problems, but he is a rare example. Look at the others. There is not a single Obi Wan, Mace Windu or even Ki Adi Mundi in the NJO. Maybe Corran Horn, but he figures things out too fast to be human.

19. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
  20. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    New jedi are just better.

21. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    The OJO would have whipped the Vong in a month. There would have been none of this "what do we do, and it will it cause us to turn to the dark side" crap.

22. darkj

darkj Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2002
    i think the new jedi have it a lot harder that the old jedi did.there wasnt war for how many of 100s of years while the old jedi were learning and mastering the force? the new jedi were put togeather at the end of the empire days.Luke was just grabing up every one he could find and made his own little army. i think the old jedi were to brainy,they would have killed off the the voug faster cause palpiten would have sent them head first into the fire. the old jedi would win because of there numbers and politic backing. but i still thing the new jedi are cooler...period.

23. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I miss Dead_Bothan_Spy, even if he did kill Groovy.

24. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I miss them both...

25. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I miss my sanity. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.