main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New lightsabers!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Macewindu77815, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Has anyone seen those new orange and green AOTC lightsabers?

They Are SWEEEETTT!!!!

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I saw them... when does the purple one come out??

3. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    I saw the green Jedi saber at Target today. From the picture on the box, it looks like Shaak Ti's hilt. Tell me if I'm wrong please.

4. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    actually its just quigon's hilt painted differently.

*cough*re*cough*hash*cough*

they still are cool though!

5. JediJunkie247

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, the reason I thought it was Shaak Ti's is I have one of the Qui Gon sabers, and this one was completely different.

6. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    yeah well they just threw so silver paint on it!
    unles you saw a completely different one than i did!

It does look diffrent though!

7. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Can anyone post any pictures of them please? :D

8. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    I dont have any unfortunately! :(

9. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    They had all three new sabers at my Wal*Mart. Yellow, Green, and Purple. Mace's saber handle is the one seen in the EP1 Visual Dictionary :( not the gold, flashy one he uses in AOTC. [face_plain]

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yellow? You mean orange, right?

11. JediJunkie247

Jul 24, 2002
    Yea, the green one I saw was totally different from Qui Gon's

12. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, yeah...oragne...I'm color blind. 8-}

13. E CHU TA!

E CHU TA! Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2000
    Orange Saber

Green Saber

Mace'e Saber (TPM)

I want the orange saber very badly. It's pretty sad, when you think about it? All it is a rehash of one of Hasbro?s electronic sabers with a new color. Oh well, I'm hopeless.

AnakinWisler, I like the fact that Hasbro decided to release Mace's Episode 1 saber. If you're looking for Mace's AOTC saber, you should buy the Rubies version. The blades on the Rubies sabers are busted, but the hilts are high quality. They?re great for display.

14. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    I've never bought any of the lightsabers, the hilts are too big and they look cheap. [face_plain]

15. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    There's a couple reasons why they used the Mace Windu saber they did. Number 1, it was already sculpted. It was intended for release a couple years ago for the Episode I line as a "generic" Jedi lightsaber. It would've even had color change discs (a la some of the old Japanese saber toys) so you could select your blade color. However, even though it was shown at Toy Fair that year, this was during the time that many retailers felt as though they'd overstocked the TPM merchandise. So, the buyers at most chains decided not to buy what would've been a cool lightsaber toy and it never made it into stores. Obviously, Hasbro decided to reuse the handle sculpt that was produced for that aborted product.
    Only problem is, that saber hilt (affectionately referred to as the "bastardized Maul" lightsaber due to the use of design elements similar to Darth Maul's weapon. :)) is NOT Mace's saber from TPM. The one he wore on his belt in the movie is the one that came with the first Mace figure (the mail-in one) and is later used by Kit Fisto in Episode II. It's also the one you see him wearing in the photo used for the Episode I Pepsi® standee of Mace.
    What the makers of the Episode I Visual Dictionary did, for reasons probably only they know, was to take an image of the "bastardized Maul" saber and basically "cut & paste" that image into the photo of Mace. Why they did this is something I don't know for sure. Perhaps the photo had no saber on his belt? Perhaps they felt the saber on his belt didn't look good enough? At any rate, the VD people altered the photo to show a saber he didn't actually use in the movie. But, since so many people saw the VD, it's considered to be one of Mace's sabers now.
    So, basically, Hasbro had an easy way to release a Mace Windu saber that A) many people will recognize as Mace's and B) was already sculpted, keeping their costs lower. So what if it isn't the one from Episode II? In Hasbro's eyes, what they've released is good enough. [face_plain]
    Now I just wish I could FIND the bugger! I haven't seen the new lightsaber wave show up in stores in MD yet. [face_plain]

16. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    I like the mace one but why is it purple? ?[face_plain]

The TPM one was blue!

Thanks for the pics BTW!

17. mjskywalk

mjskywalk Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2001
    I'm with Twelve_Motion. I can't even get my middle finger and thumb around those handles! I am going to wait until I can afford the Park Saber that I want. (But my Jedi robe is almost done. What is a robe without a lightsaber? ;-)

18. Orange_Sith

Orange_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2002
    WHERE CAN I GET AN ORANGE ONE?!?!?!?!?!?!

19. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    You can buy the orange one wherever Hasbro's toy lightsabers are sold! I would've thought THAT was obvious! ;)

As for the blue blade...
    remember, the only thing that's considered canon is what's shown on screen. Lucas, at Sam Jackson's urging, decided that in canon, Mace Windu's sabers have a purple blade. He is the only Jedi, in canon, to have such a blade. Everyone else uses blue or green, unless they're a Sith, in which case their blade is red. This is how it is in Lucas' SW universe, the only one that, in the end, is considered the official and authoritative source.
    When the earlier Mace Windu figures were made with a blue blade on the saber, it's because we didn't know yet what color it actually had. So, Hasbro made a guess. Just as with other characters. They had characters running around with red, purple, probably even yellow and orange blades. All before it was known what color blades those Jedi really used. It happens. I still remember all the original Kenner products with the mythical yellow blades! ;)

20. JediJunkie247

Jul 24, 2002
    Originally, Windu had a blue saber because that's what Lucas wanted us to know.

Check out on of the AOTC blueprint books. I can't remember which one it is. It gives back story saying that Mace created his AOTC saber to show his status as head of the Jedi Council.

(I could have sworn I've answered this several times before)

Anayway, the Rubies' saber for Mace is alot better. It lights up, but doesn't make a sound. Still, it's cool lit up in the dark.
    And you can almost get your hand all the way around this one.

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't see why the toys should be limited to what's on-screen... I'd personally love to see a pink lightsaber... ;)

22. jawamonkey

jawamonkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    yeah id like other colors too, and other peoples, but ill be lynched if i mention the eXPANDED universe in here i thinks ;) )

23. Macewindu77815

May 13, 2002
    yeah jawamonkey we would be!! ;) :) :D :p

LGM like the eu though! ;) :D :) :D ;) :)

Did ya like my faces LGM? ;) :D :p

24. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    Anyone seen the Windu Saber around yet...I'm going hunting for one tonight, but i just wondered if others saw it...I'll most likely pick up what i find tonight. I'll let ya'll know whats out in my area.

25. Blix

Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    I'm thinking about buying Mace's saber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.