main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New News on Anakin and the "limb removal"

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Joseph_Orion, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    The Jedi Starfighter game has this in it I guess...

at the end Mace Windu tells you that Obi-Wan's padawan was seriously injured at the fight on Geonosis.

So I guess he does lose an appendage lol

2. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    The EU stuff all says that he became "more machine than man" in a confrontation w/ Yoda &/or Obi Wann, falling into a tar pit. I had assumed that it was also when he lost his hand.

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    spoiler down here I
    I
    V

I have read on a few websites that he will loose most of his arm in ATOC.SO i belive this to be true as its not always the exact same store but all say he looses it.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    What is it with the Skywalkers and missing limbs?? ;)

5. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Let me explain somethin' 'bout swordplay....if your instructor is a good one, the first place he hits you with his or her shinia is IN THE HANDS!!!!! Thus, from your earliest beginnings, you develop the uncanny reflex of WITHDRAWING YOUR HANDS FROM BEING STRUCK!!!!! This subsequently KEEPS YOU FROM GETTING YOUR HAND LOPPED OFF in actual combat!!!!

6. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Yeah but do they teach you how not to get your hand cut off by a BEAM OF LIGHT. Just kidding, I of course bow to your superior knowledge in this area.

I guess i'm not the only one up this late.

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Funny you should say that....the effect of feeling and watching your hand swell up like a balloon has the further effect of making you not care whether the approaching weapon is light, bone, wood, rattan, bamboo, steel, carbon fibre, ect.....YOUR HAND JUST DOES IT'S DANGDEST TO GET OUTTA THE WAY!!!

8. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    well, when luke got his chopped off, he was kind of swinging back and trying to hang on and vader just kinda lopped it off. wasn't much reflex involved in that one.

you've done fencing b4 tim?

9. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Fencing as in rapiers, no; shinai's that target the whole body, yes indeedy...still do; just wish I could find a steady individual to shinai duel with on a regular basis....Gods, I luv that!!!! I'm more of a hack and slasher, but even in Luke's combat form, his hand does not belong anywhere near that far away from his bodyline....way too open....although VADER's counterstrike is a perfect upward rolling disarming(dishanding?)cut.

10. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    How hard is it to learn? I've been thinking of taking up some kind of swordplay sport to help w/ the conditioning of my knees. And what's the investment?

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    I forget the name of the Dojo, but there is an outstanding place at 3427 South Broadway(303-781-5334)that teaches Kendo and katana katas. Don't let the outside appearance fool you....their sensai knows his stuff. I'm just too untraditional for that true style, but if you really want to learn the way of the sword, that's the place. They have some rental equipment, but really, if you're deeply interested, it's worth it to buy the gear. You'll need a mask, torso armour, pants, associated appendage armour pads, Shinai, and probably a steel Katana(+$150)for the katas. Shinai run about $15-20 apiece, wooden Bokken are about $35, and I have no idea the cost of armour. You'll be using the shinai for Kendo practice, which contains actual combat, and the Katana is for solo sword katas. Me, I just go get a couple of Shinai and have at it! I like the shinai because if you cut the string that illustrates the single cutting edge, you are left with a massed version of a lightsaber! Hard to learn? Not at all...but the way of the sword does ask you for a time commitment....most practitioners are drawn to the blade, and spend most of their time practising....it's discipline, energy release and power make it very invigorating and hooks ya good! The sword is an potent weapon, feared to this day, and is a unending symbol of power and honour.

12. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I've always loved swords and wanted to learn some form of combat with them.

I've always wanted to do like rapier or saber type stuff though, I'm attracted to the speed and agility of it. I've always been huge into martial arts though, and have also wanted to learn some japanese sword styles...the problem has always been location and cost...which is still a bit of a problem here. I won't be able to have extra money for martial arts for a few months, and I don't think there are any sword styles offered in the springs. there are tons of martial arts styles, but no sword I believe. I'm thinking about the Defense Institute b/c they teach Kali (philipino stick fighting), and I always wanted to learn that too.

Anyway, Maybe after I'm out of the AF or once I have more time and money to spend on it I will take up some type of swordplay, but until then I'll just have to keep dreaming :). I can still do the hand-to-hand...which I think I like better anyway.

13. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Hmmm... I know Tae Kwondo, but you don't use weapons in that. Just tall people beating up on short people [face_devil] Lovely...

I know my brother is really interested in fencing, and he's trying to find a place that does that.

You know what would be cool, if enough people know sword play, martial arts etc... we could really put together a kick ass fan movie or something. We could make it a group thing.

14. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    JD....if you really are interested in learning the way of the sword, read the "Book of Five Rings", buy a wooden Bokken for now and start saving your money for a good Katana....then you can refer to the book at your leisure and practice completely on your own.

Oh, yea...a word of warning about fencing with rapiers, JD.....most hack and slasher types would willingly skewer themselves on your blade to cleave your skull with a tremendous "MEN" cut....and then walk quietly to the medics to be patched up. In today's world with modern medicine, the gun rules, but the broadsword and katana are still the cutting weapons of choice, and no fencer in his right mind would dare take on a skilled Kendo or european broadswordsman.

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    JGOC - Tell him to check @ the Olympic Training Center. If nothing else, someone training there might be willing to give lessons for extra money. They should be kicking into high gear here soon (only 2 years until the next Olympics). Otherwise, there is a school here in Denver for Fencing. I've been thinking of taking it up, but just haven't had the time.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Cool I'll tell him that. Thanks. :) Maybe I'll even take it myself!

17. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Tim: lol, well I'm not too worried about using swordplay in real life, I just thought fencing looked like a lot of fun.

Jen: do you know the address of that place?

18. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    tim: just ordered it off amazon.com used for like $8...but there seemed to be several different versions, which would you have recommended?

I think I can find a wooden bokken on century for a few bucks too.

19. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    JD - It's on East Colfax Somewhere, do a lookup using fencing & denver and it should come up with it.

20. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    "Book of Five Rings" is not a long writing...just try to get the actual writings, and not the ones that have interpretations...I think he meant it to be a guideline, and not open to interpretation by someone else before you take it all in. Translated does not mean interpreted.

And as to actual swordplay....I only suggested that thought because one of the thoughts about learning the way of the sword, and many other martial arts, is to practise as if your life depended on it, although we all know that may never come to pass. Did I ever tell you of my single-action .45 Ruger saving my life once? In California, I was working nights as the mall security super for the Mall of Orange, and times were tough, so I was walking home about five miles each night. One Tuesday afternoon, I got ready for work, and just had a really bad feelin' in my gut.....despite the fact that I had no carry permit, I put on my shoulder holster and loaded up my .45 Ruger for bear. That night everything went very well, but on the way home, with briefcase in hand, I was accosted by three men in a Thunderbird, one of which had to be 250lbs and 6'3". Now, I religiously practise quick-draw with my .45 Ruger, and once the car stopped, the door opened and that hulk of a man with a snub .38 in his hand appeared, my reflexes took over and my hand dove into my jacket without thought. Thanks to my Marine training, I shouted out in my loudest command voice, "Don't do it, M%*^>Fu@%&^#(!!!"(I know, sounds corny now....)but between my actions, my stance and my voice, the man retreated back into the car, never pointing the gun at me, and they sped off(the whole thing took about 7 seconds.) I called the police, went with them to a spot on the 55 where they had stopped a red Thunderbird, and sure as poop, it was them. I testified against them, my boldness encouraged the other terrified victims to join in(one of which was a little old lady who the big man had pistol-whipped)and they all got 12 years without parole. Now, I know we were talking about swords, but in my experience, life doesn't give you a lot of time to think, and sometimes you have to use what's at hand. Three feet of glistening steel, a large broadsword, and especially a Katana has an unnerving energy about it, and unlike in Hollywood, criminals turn tail and run when faced with a determined adversary, and it's very difficult to actually hit what you're aiming at when you are runnin' full-tilt in the opposite direction! Practise to defend, and even though you may never need to, you will be ready in all instances. Criminals do not continue to press home attacks once they know they are dealing with a wolf, only the lambs suffer....don't be a lamb. You are fortunate to live in one of the few countries where personal ownership of weaponry is still allowed...take advantage of that to defend in a strong manner.....you never know, you may be able to defend one of the lambs.

21. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    ahhhhh just get a sword and go chase people around you'll learn your own style.

22. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    well, they were all translated, the one I got looked to be the oldest one available there and it wasn't one of the ones that said it was annotated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.