main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy on Religious Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shedao15

Shedao15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Isn't this suppresion of freedom of speech? Also do I have to change my sig because of the relgious conotations containted in AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM?

2. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    PB said;
    ----------------------------------------
    And the truth is, if we left that one open then we'd have to let the Koran word by word open. Then some joker would come in with 20 more threads from more holy books that we'd be forced to leave open. Then, seeing the word by word threads as a loophole, people would be starting threads based on different versions of each book. Then they would want to do famous hyms or sermons
    ---------------------------------------
    Is there any precedent supporting the idea that somebody would start a 'Bhagavad Gita' or 'Book of Mormon' or 'Mennonite Hymnal' line-by-line threads??? ?[face_plain]
    Or was this just an wild guess, since we have such a liberal attitude towards SPAM right now... ?[face_plain]

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well there was already a Koran word by word, and someone was talking about a Satanic verses word by word so yes, there was reason to believe that they would use this as a loophole to get religion in here.

4. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    The Quran was theoretically valid though, no? It *IS* the worlds second largest religion after all, as for the Satanic Verses, I would like to introduce the mods to a wonderful term called 'Spanking', its more than useful when somebody is obviously trolling, an actual offence at the JC, unlike religion.
    //is out of breath after one long sentence

5. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    "Isn't this suppresion of freedom of speech?"

No, Welcome to the Internet and the world of private business.

"Is there any precedent supporting the idea that somebody would start a 'Bhagavad Gita' or 'Book of Mormon' or 'Mennonite Hymnal' line-by-line threads???
    Or was this just an wild guess, since we have such a liberal attitude towards SPAM right now..."

So, lemme get this straight: "The Book of Mormon" is Spam, but the Bible isn't? Talk about a double standard. Thank god you aren't moderating the boards.

6. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "as for the Satanic Verses, I would like to introduce the mods to a wonderful term called 'Spanking', its more than useful when somebody is obviously trolling, an actual offence at the JC, unlike religion."

Why can't I post Satanic verses if you can post Christian verses? Where is the fairness in that?

Religions shouldn't be singled out and endorsed simply based on numbers. Either ALL get equal representation, or NONE are posted.

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm not arguing that it's not a legitimate religion. I'm saying that religions that have their word by word threads will become disproportionatly represented in Community. Do you realize how many complaints we'd get from that? Then others would make a similar thread for their religion and it would become a mess. Then we would get complaints about that.

Do you think all of that is worth something as pointless and stupid as a word by word thread? I mean what is the point of it in the first place?

I think I've been more than patient with this whole thing. In fact, given the fact that I am the only admin answering these questions, I'm probably being too patient. This is the policy and it's supported by the vast majority of members. Most of the people who oppose it aren't interested in religious discussion anyway.

8. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    PadmeBra, I hope that wasn't aimed at me, because mine weren't aimed at you.

9. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    I didn't say the Book of Mormon was spam, but that somebody flooding the front page with 23 word-by-word threads would be spamming. A subtle, yet important difference. [face_plain]

You said;
    -----------------------------------
    Religions shouldn't be singled out and endorsed simply based on numbers. Either ALL get equal representation, or NONE are posted.
    -----------------------------------
    Phallacy is technically a religion...but local bylaws prohibit me from walking around naked worshipping people's organs. As there are *not* any truly Satanic members of the JC, there would be no purpose to such a thraed, and it would inevitably be trolling.

Ever heard of Salman Rusdie and his 'Satanic Verses' ??? He's now got a bounty on his head of $6million for 'trolling'...wouldn't the admins be justified spanking somebody for the same offence?

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "As there are *not* any truly Satanic members of the JC, there would be no purpose to such a thraed, and it would inevitably be trolling."

What a wondeful assumption to make. When was the last census you took? I'd like to see some numbers before any blanket statements are made.

And so what if there are 26 different Verse-by-Verse threads? Are not those 26 different religions equally important on this board? I bet we have members from more than 26 different religions. Hell, in Christianity there are more than 26 different versions of the bible, probably.

Anton LaVey rules! Don't supress me!

11. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    I will limit myself to the JCC, where these threads occured.

---------------------------------------------
    "What a wondeful assumption to make. When was the last census you took? I'd like to see some numbers before any blanket statements are made."
    ----------------------------------------
    I have not seen anybody (with the exception of AA, but I know he was kidding) claim to be Satanist. With a surprising number of threads Satanism, (there have been I'm sure 9-10 in the last few months), wouldn't it be odd if the satanist of the boards didn't show up??? I think I am well founded in saying there are no Satanists, unless you can prove me wrong, I'll assume I'm right.

-----------------------------------------
    I bet we have members from more than 26 different religions.
    ------------------------------------------
    TMK, we have
    a) Christianity
    b) Islam
    c) Buddhism
    d) *1* Hindu that I am aware of
    e) Atheists
    f) Earth based Religions
    g) Judaism

I get a total there of 7 religions, not 26, represented on our boards. I frequent many religious discussions on these boards, and read the *entire* threads (there were 2, one a poll, one an earlier thread) titled 'What Religion Do You Practice?'. Nobody (Except AA, but again, I know he was kidding) claimed Satanism as their religion.

Hell, in Christianity there are more than 26 different versions of the bible, probably.

12. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Members don't have to speak out and claim what religon they are for it to count. Many probably consider it a personal thing. Unfortunately, some do not.

I bet you sure as hell couldn't give me an accurate count on how many African Americans there are in the JCC. Why? The same as a count on religions isn't valid.

And besides, there are some branches of Christianity that are MUCH different from others. I wouldn't group them all together like that.

13. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    The Anglican/Episcopalian Church is still divided in two over which Hymnal to use...does that make them two distinct religions???
    No, besides, the fact that there are different denominations is irrelevant, the belief system is the same.
    (It might interest you to know that Buddhism & Islam have more severe differences in branches, than Christianity)

But this is besides the point that PB and I are agreed on. It would be spamming/trolling to open a 'Satanic Bible' word-by-word thread. The differences between Mennonites and Amish arent' relevant to the discussion!

14. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "It would be spamming/trolling to open a 'Satanic Bible' word-by-word thread."

Why? Just because there aren't many members does not make it any more or less important than a Bible verse thread. Non-believers can still participate.

My question is what in your mind makes one religion more worthy than another to have a dedicated thread be the only one allowed?

15. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    You tell me...I'm dropping this pointless arguement and going to bed. Good night!

16. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Ah, what a way to weasle out of answering, simply because you an't think of anything good enough.

Good night. ;)

17. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    BobTheGoon: I was talking to JW on MSN right then. And he really was going to go to bed.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    The Satanic Bible (LaVey) and the Satanic Verses (Rushdie) are two completely different things.

One teaches the worship of Satan, and the other is a book written about religion. There's no religion based on Rushdie's book. Discussion of both would be inappropriate based on the new rules, but I just had to clear that up.

Anyway, TrainingForUtopia asked me to PPOR:
    Your previous sig (unbelievably offensive and unnecessary) was your battle cry in religious threads, and in this thread you managed to lump Muslims (who believe in the same God as you) with satanists. Nice going.

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "Religions shouldn't be singled out and endorsed simply based on numbers. Either ALL get equal representation, or NONE are posted. "

BtG, I can't work out if you're for or against the ban, or just playing Devil's Advocate (no pun intended) but your statement above is the best argument I've heard for keeping the ban. It is impossible to give all religion equal representation on A Star Wars board of all places. This is something that hasn't been managed in the world ever as far as I'm aware, therefore you are right. None should be posted

20. maukid

maukid Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2001
    JW, you also can't group all earth-based religions together. That would be like groupiong Judaesm, Christianity, and Islam together because they all believe in God and have prophets.

EVERYONE READ THIS:
    As much as we discuss, complain, and argue about banning threads it will not change the admin's policy on banning religious threads. So we have two options: we can either move on and be mature about this or we can sit here and argue like little children who don't get their way.

I vote we do the mature thing and accept the ruling and move on.

21. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    halibut, BobtheGoon supports the ban.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Good. As do I

23. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    maukid little children would respond with a flaming trolling attack or sumthing if they didn't get their way not with a discussion ;)

24. maukid

maukid Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2001
    Point taken. :)

25. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Yep, I support it.

Sith Vicious, I know jack about Satanism. I only know who LaVey is because of Rosemary's Baby. I was just trying to make a point.

What the VVC (Very Vocal Christians) don't seem to get is that Christianity SHOULD NOT be treated as the only worthy religion around here. They've been very close minded, claiming other religious works as SPAM and lumping together religions that are like oil and water. It just goes to show their ego-centrism and intolerance for other faiths.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.