main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy on Religious Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    storm, the policy and the reasons for it are clear. Why be "paranoid" that a thread will turn into a flame fest and you'll get banned if the policy regards religious topics?

And could one of you please explain what in tear's post that you specifically disagree with?

2. No blasters!

Feb 14, 2000
    Wylding, nice answer. Yes, by that logic, that makes sense. I still disagree with you on this religion/no religion thing, but I see your reasoning there.

On the other hand, however, that precludes the words "all inclusive".

3. Storm5

Storm5 Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2000
    The policy is NOT clear. The words- 'religious' is so wide and has so many interpretations...

4. No blasters!

Feb 14, 2000
    Religious:

1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity
    2 : of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances

5. No blasters!

Feb 14, 2000
    Gotta go, kiddos. It's been fun.

6. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    I love NB. :)

7. Storm5

May 9, 2000
    No blasters, that's a poor defenition. Which dictionary did you use?

8. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Some people are taking this way too seriously. Mod=nazis? What was that you were saying about paranoid? This ban will probly be lifted again in a few months anyway.

9. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Now no one said mod=nazi. Go back and actually read what I said. I said they are following the same reasoning that the Third Reich used to allow for the realization of the final solution.

I'm glad you see my point NB.

Like I said this new policy is simply ghastly.

Edit: Ghastly:

ghastly extremely frightening, hideous or horrific.
    Dutch: afgrijselijk
    French: atroce
    German: entsetzlich
    Italian: spaventoso
    Spanish: espantoso, horroroso, horrendo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ghastly
    colloq very bad.
    Dutch: verschrikkelijk
    French: affreux (-euse)
    German: gräßlich
    Italian: orribile
    Spanish: horrible, espantoso

10. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Once someone makes a Nazi or Hitler metaphor, that is when you know the debate will have no outcome and is just strining along.... so they say.

It is not about religion. Again, I have faith and I believe in my religion. That is not the point.

The point is this. I am a member of this club in real life and it is to view films, talk about them, organize screenings and even have writing worshops among us and socialize and become friends and even drink and play cards. It is a club made of film makers and writers like myself who are trying to break into commercial film and in the buisness.

I like it very much. But if a few members started preaching Chrsitianity and telling me and the rets out loud in the club that the only way is through Jesus, I would feel so uncomfortable and singled out. And if they began preaching Judaism I would say hey, stop. Not everyone here is Jewish.

In fact, I get pissed off when I take classes at Gratz college or observe one of my newphews hebrew classes because sometimes a certain teacher will say negative things about reform Jews or conservative Jews or reconstructionlist, or new age Jews or Orthodox Jews.

I am Like: "Excuse me, this is not an orthodox or reform or conservative synogoge or school. You have students o kids here who are from all branches of Judaism and you are singling them out and in a very subtle way you are lashing their beliefs and how they were brought up."

I told that to both a professor at the college and a teacher at my nephews Hebrew school.

It works both ways, no matter what belief you are in.

It is about singling out others and making them uncomfortable to be part of a club.

This is a SW club, simple as that.

Now, when politics enter the discussion at my club, that is ok. Why? Because there is a diffrence between religion and politics and no one gains or loses anything for having an opposing view on an issue, whether it be guns, abortion, immigration or politicians.

Why? Because no matter our beliefs or what they say or even if dont have beliefs at all, none of will get in trouble because ANOTHER person has an opposing view.

My father, he hates republicans and is very vocal. We disagree with politics. Does that matter? No. Because it does not affect us. Him being on one side and me on another does not make us better people or lesser people.

It is not something personal and it has nothing to do with faith. If it does, it might have to do with faith for YOU, but anothers thought on an issue will not damage you.

For some, faith can make the person, but political issues do not ever make the person.

Now, if you are Bush's brother or cousin, then say so. But i dount any of you are related to him and if you are, well... sorry in advance!

11. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000

SOT wrote: "Once someone makes a Nazi or Hitler metaphor, that is when you know the debate will have no outcome and is just strining along.... so they say."

Ridiculous, you might as well blast all WWII historians then...

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I myself don't care too much for this rule, Wylding, but the fact is that religion threads have become nothing more than an accelerant for an already smoldering fire.

One of the positive contributions of the Victorians was the rule that when eating among company, no sex, politics or religion were discussed. I think in this era, when almost nothing is taboo, that we should set a few limits for ourselves. If we don't respect those limits, then they will be cheapened and so will the discussion about those subjects when they're deemed OK.

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, we need to get Chyren in here to proclaim Goodwin's Law and declare Wylding the loser of this debate by that law.

14. Storm5

May 9, 2000
    DDH, you sound like somehow who turns the religious threads into flame fests...

15. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I have never once posted in a religious thread. But because I disagree with someone comparing admin descions to the Nazis, apprently I'm someone who would troll them? Okay, yeah. Impeccable logic there, I applaud you.

I dare you try and figure out what I feel about religion and people who follow it from my posts.

16. Storm5

May 9, 2000
    Calling someone a loser is flamming. Please remember ALL policies.

17. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Get off the cross, Wylding, before this qualifies as a religion thread and I have to close it.

There are a select few here that are trying so hard to make a big thing of this but you're starting to look silly. Nazis? Give me a freaking break. I think I've been very patient and accomodating during all of this but I'm going to sum it up for the cheap seats.

This is a Star Wars messageboard.

It is not the government, it is not the media. Neither it nor any of its moderators here are not in a position to percecute you or your religious beliefs. You do not have an obligation to come here, and they don't have the right to make you stay here. But they do have the right to tell you what you can and cannot talk about when you are on their site. They do not want the controversy or the headaches inherent in religious discussion. End of story.

As I said before, this is NOT a stepping stone to banning other topics. This is it. It came to this because the problems outweighed the benefit and this is a family friendly forum that doesn't want the kind of controversy that religious discussion brings.

If you want to talk about religion there are hundreds of messageboards out there, some as big as this one. Do it there. Just don't try to make this out to be some kind of crusade against a God-less gestapo regime. It just sounds stupid.

18. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    We are not talking about historians and it is not ridiculous, Wylding.

IT has been shown time and time again that when someone brings NAzi's or Hitler in a debate to make a point or allusion, that that in itself is ludricous and is a sign of a losing argument.

19. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    How small of you, Bra, to make that comment about me being on a cross. I can see now that you never did use any forethought into your banning of these topics.

In regards to any historical parallels I may have pointed out: It may sound stupid to you, but these historical parallels had to be brought to the forefront. You should realize where your logic is taking you Bra and who has used this very same logic before you. Think of me as just your forum friendly whistleblower.

Also, I wanted to make my point that SW is by Lucas' own admission designed to stimulate religious/spiritual thought. Your own attempts to run counter to Lucas' own desires are at best shortsighted.

As to this being a "family forum," any thread has the potential to go bad, so why not just ban all threads?

That said, everyone can call me all the names they want, but my voice will be heard.

Edit: SOT wrote: "IT(sic) has been shown time and time again that when someone brings NAzi's(sic) or Hitler in a debate to make a point or allusion, that that in itself is ludricous(sic) and is a sign of a losing argument."

Again, this is a ridiculous statement. What I posted was an allusion to historical fact.

20. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    The irony here, Wylding, is that you're proving the case against what you're saying by the nature of your own posts. Calling the Admins Nazis will get you far. Keep it up.

21. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "I can see now that you never did use any forethought into your banning of these topics"

I don't think you understand....much of anything. I am not personally banning these topics. I only wrote the announcement. Don't mistake the fact that I'm the only admin bothering to answer your questions to mean this is my policy. I agree with it but one moderator cannot make policy. This was based on an admin consensus and the majority of member input that we've gotten.

Quote:
    "It may sound stupid to you, but these historical parallels had to be brought to the forefront"

If your goal was to make yourself sound overreacting and clueless then it was necessary. No one's buying your historical parallels. You're just embarassing yourself.

Quote:
    "Also, I wanted to make my point that SW is by Lucas' own admission designed to stimulate religious/spiritual thought. Your own attempts to run counter to Lucas' own desires are at best shortsighted. "

If you would have read my posts, you would notice that all Star Wars related religious discussion can stay. But what we will not have is some 11 year old kid being told that he's praying to the wrong God or is going to Hell. It's not happening here.

Quote:

"As to this being a "family forum," any thread has the potential to go bad, so why not just ban all threads? "

Because there are problems inherent with religious threads alone that we're trying to avoid.

Quote:
    "That said, everyone can call me all the names they want, but my voice will be heard. "

No one's stopping you from talking. You can call me a Nazi all you want. I'm confident enough with the way I moderate this board and have enough faith in the intelligence and reason of the members here to know that your comments have no effect on me, nor the perception that others have about me. I'm not speaking for the other mods though, so I would watch it with them.

Quote:
    "Again, this is a ridiculous statement. What I posted was an allusion to historical fact. "

Your allusion to historical fact is not only ridiculous to those who know this place, but insulting to those who actually had to face the real thing.

I'm just about finished here. The other mods are being sorely underepresented concerning this issue and I've said about all that I'm going to. You can blow this out of proportion and stand on your soap box all you like. I'm confident that very few, if anyone is buying it.

22. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    *Kicks over Wylding's soapbox, then lights it on fire and sacrifices a chicken over it while wearing a bra on my head*

That oughta take care of that!

23. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    One added benefit of this decision is that it suddenly becomes very clear who the trolls are.

24. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    "I don't think you understand....much of anything. I am not personally banning these topics. I only wrote the announcement. Don't mistake the fact that I'm the only admin bothering to answer your questions to mean this is my policy. I agree with it but one moderator cannot make policy. This was based on an admin consensus and the majority of member input that we've gotten."

Don't misunderstand me Bra, I simply use you as an example of the establishment, of which you are whether you realize it or not.

"No one's buying your historical parallels. You're just embarassing yourself."

Perhaps, but I don't think you speak for everyone here.

"If you would have read my posts, you would notice that all Star Wars related religious discussion can stay. But what we will not have is some 11 year old kid being told that he's praying to the wrong God or is going to Hell. It's not happening here."

This has never happened in any of the threads that I have personally participated in...This is not what I am advocating nor will I ever advocate it.

"Because there are problems inherent with religious threads alone that we're trying to avoid."

Like I said before, anyone who wants to flame and make rude comments about anyone will do so, religious topic or not.

"No one's stopping you from talking. You can call me a Nazi all you want. I'm confident enough with the way I moderate this board and have enough faith in the intelligence and reason of the members here to know that your comments have no effect on me, nor the perception that others have about me. I'm not speaking for the other mods though, so I would watch it with them."

Go back and actually read what I wrote. I never called you a Nazi. As to other people's perception of you here, I really don't care about that one way or another. I'm arguing over an ideal. You have far to much ego invested here if you think I want people to not like you.

Whats with the comment about the other mods? Is that some kind of a threat?

"Your allusion to historical fact is not only ridiculous to those who know this place, but insulting to those who actually had to face the real thing."

It all started with an ideal, a thought. These things went on uncontested and it got worse and worse...what would be insulting would be to not say anything when the same logic is used in other places, in other venues...

"I'm just about finished here. The other mods are being sorely underepresented concerning this issue and I've said about all that I'm going to. You can blow this out of proportion and stand on your soap box all you like. I'm confident that very few, if anyone is buying it."

I really don't care who "buys" what. All I wanted to do was say my peace. Everyone should be able to get on their soapbox and say what they think about this problem. For anyone to insinuate that it is bad to get on a soapbox and speak their peace...well, I've already gone into a little historical introspection as it were....I'm sure that someone will read this and smile.

25. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I'm sorry, but this is neither a democracy or republic. This is more of an aristocratic regime. We make the rules, and even if the people give us some good ideas, we can ignore your opinions on our policies all we want and you can't do anything about it. And besides, did any of you pick and ask us to be admins? I think not. It was the other admins. So it can't be a democracy or republic, by definition!

Way to be humble Mr.P.
    [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.