main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA New Spokane Area Members, Please Post Here!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediRacer, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Welcome, Clayton.
    Hopefully we will have a get together soon for a meet n' greet of all the new people.

2. Darth_Nychus

Darth_Nychus Jedi Master

Oct 5, 2004
    Fantastic! I really look forward to it. If I can make it due to an erattic job schedule (being an actual Security Officer is a bit unstable in the scheduling department).

3. SgtSkirata

SgtSkirata Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2008
    I am new here met some of you guys at Bloomsday

4. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Hey Roger! /wave

Welcome to the boards.

5. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Hey Roger, nice to see you here! Your Jango was fantastic! I hope you're finding fun things to do in our "little city."

6. SgtSkirata

SgtSkirata Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2008
    Hey thanks guys Can't wait to troop with you all. Maybe even find out if there are any people interested in a Star wars d6 Role playing group areound here?

7. sith_master_raze

sith_master_raze Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008
    Name: David

SW Related Interests: The films first and foremost, both the Lucasfilm ones and those made by fans. Reign of the Fallen and Dark Resurrection to name a couple. What else... SW art (by fans and official), reading, "lightsaber" sparring (though I have next to no experience :p ) and socializing with fellow fans.

Non-SW Related Interests: Drawing, listening to music (John Williams is high on my list, though not just for Star Wars), video games such as Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid, and even old skool Nintendo... too many things to list off the top of my tired head. [face_laugh]

How did you get started on SW: I've been a fan ever since I can remember. My earliest memory of watching ANY movie was sitting in the living room with Dad late one evening and watching ANH. I've been a fan ever since, but it dropped away for a few years when Star Trek: The Next Generation premiered back in '87. I became a die-hard fan again when the Special Editions came out. Later, I gave in to the dark side of fandom (being an unapologetic geek) when the prequel trilogy concluded and I bought my first Force FX lightsaber.

I had wondered if there was an organized group of fans in this area and I'm pleased to find that there is! [face_laugh]

8. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    I'm glad you found us David! We'd love to meet you and get to know you. We are having a BBQ on the 21st of June (two saturdays away) in CDA. It's at a park so you could say "hi" and stay as long or short as you like. All official events are open to anyone.

Welcome to the group!

9. sith_master_raze

Jun 6, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome! :) As for the BBQ, if it's in CDA I'll have a hard time getting out there. I work Saturday morning 7 AM to 2 PM (though I can get away whenever my relief shows up. Usually 1:30 these days.) The other problem is umm... I don't have a car. [face_blush] I walk 9 blocks to work and back and am at the mercy of the STA for everything else. So if I went, I'd have to hitchhike. :p

10. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Raze, post in the official thread and see if there is anyone going later who can give you a ride!

Also, if you want to, PM cheeser with your phone number, he is on our communications committee. That way we can update you if plans change, or just let you know about stuff going on.

11. sith_master_raze

Jun 6, 2008

Will do, though I don't wish to impose... :)

12. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Welcome! We'll get you to the BBQ one way or another :D

13. sith_master_raze

Jun 6, 2008

I look forward to it. :D

14. Thumpernicus

Thumpernicus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Hello,

I look forward to seeing a great Star Wars Costume turnout at Spocon!

I hope to have SOME kind of outfit ready...dunno what yet... =)

-Alex

15. Corrunhorn

Corrunhorn Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2008
    Hello My name is Nick

Im 29

I have been a SW fan all my life but i have recently gotten into doing cons I am really big into the extended universe and the movies, outside of star wars i mostly like playing my 360 and wow on my cpu. I love going to movies and can usually be seen at northtown mall at the midnight premeires. Ill be at Spocon later today to finish this awsome start for a great con.

16. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Great to hear from both of you, and I heard that SpoCon was fantastic! I hope to see you guys in the future!

17. anakinaphilic

anakinaphilic Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2008
    Name: angela
    SW Related Interests: i love ROTS! and anakin skywalker...
    Non-SW Related Interests: i love music (particularly disney (jonas brothers, miley, demi lovato, etc)) and reading and writing poems/songs/stories
    i love CSI!!
    How did you get started on SW: over the xmas break when i was in seventh grade, my mom let me borrow her star wars trilogy books to read...and i simply loved it!!! over a few months i became very obsessed...and here i am today!!

18. Darth_Thaddius

Darth_Thaddius Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2008
    Name: Thaddius
    SW Interests: I have always enjoyed all the movies. The storyline is wonderful. I want to learn how to write fluently in Mando'a and Aurebesh. I am reading all the books and I just finished the Legacy of the force series. I am in the Navy and I brought my official Darth Vader Costume with me on deployment. It is goign to be awesome. I will have pics taken and show when I am finally back in Spokane. I Want to get the 501st up and running. Whether it start out with Titan and go from there. We should get a lot more involved. HOOPFEST WOULD BE WONDERFUL.

Non SW Interests: I want to become a teacher. I love to play video games. When you put SW and video games together, I am a very happy man. I am happily married to my wife Charlotte.

City: I am currently Stationed in Norfolk, VA. I am from Spokane and cannot wait to get back.

What got me interested in SW? I watched the movie once at a Thanksgiving party and I never lost interest. Now I am a complete geek and nerd. I LOVE IT. I have a darth vader costume I love he he. I want to get us involved in the 501st. I want to be a shadow trooper.

19. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Hey, we have new Area Members!
    And I'm the first to notice??!??

Anyway...

WELCOME TO THE SPOKANTINA!!!

If you like to laugh, you've come to the right place.
    If you like the idea of costuming, you've come to the right place.
    If you've ever wanted to build (or learn how to build) some of those awesome props from the movies, boy have you come to the right place!
    Yes, we do talk a bit about Star Wars. The good news is, we also talk about other things... usually of a sci-fi nature (even Star Trek from time to time)... but, other things, nonetheless.
    We are able to (and occasionally even do) talk about current events regarding the world in-general. But we usually wind up redirecting it toward something geeky. It's what we do.

Oh yeah, and a couple of our members are deeply involved with a new, yearly, sci-fi convention called SpoCon.
    Tons of fun. I highly recommend it, and can't wait until next year.

Again welcome. Feel free to start your own Topics about things that interest you or that you are curious about. Also, this site has a lot of Discussion Boards that are just awesome.
    Browse.
    Have fun.

20. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    Name: Corvalis. Dave in RL
    SW Related Interests: Star Wars Galaxies (long time player, not playing anymore), fan films, fan fiction, lightsaber duels, costuming (just getting started), PC games, movies (original over prequels any day), Clone Wars is growning on me (TV, not movie), Star Wars RPG (d6, d20, AND Saga!), and generally discussing anything related to Star Wars.
    Non-SW Related Interests: Pretty much anything Sci-Fi/Role-playing (that includes a few LARPS in my time) and tons of other stuff that I'm sure I have been/will be/will never be exposed to :p
    How did you get started on SW: My dad took me to ROTJ in theatres when I was a kid, and I've had a love for it ever since. Spent my time as a fan of most other Sci-Fi shows (You never forget your first Doctor) and been a geek since. Recently broke down and bought my first lightsaber, and I'm penning a script for my first fan film, which I'm trying to get a budget and cast together for.

21. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    * notices another new FanForce member *

This is getting to be a bit of a habit.
    Suprising considderring I just had a harddrive burnout a couple of days ago.
    Where is everybody else???

Anyhoo,

WELCOME TO THE SPOKANTINA!!!

I noticed that you mentioned that you like to saber duel.
    Good for you. Particularly since we've recently (it's actually been over a year now) had a very cool member join (Smudge) who has a great deal of experience coaching duelers. It's been a blast. Cool, deadly, and yet safe.
    There's going to be a props workshop at his place next weekend, and there's usually a bit of saber play during the course of the proceedings.
    It's always a good time.
    I urge all of our new members to try to show up if they can.

22. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    I will definately try to be there, assuming nothing else comes up, even if my saber doesn't arrive in time. I ordered it from Ultrasabers.com, and it says it usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks, and that was on the 15th. I'd have a costuming project to bring, but I can't afford the materials for making my Jedi robe until around Thanksgiving (it's going to be almost 200 dollars worth of fabric!). So maybe I'll just come down once I get directions, and hang out, meet you wonderful folks, and work on my script!

23. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    No worries about not having a saber for combat practice. Erik has bokkens that we use.
    Hopefully in the near future, a group of us might be able to order some of our own, through him.
    As for material costs on a costume... we might have one or two connections that could save you some money. ;)

24. Corvalis

Oct 17, 2008
    Sweet! Can't wait to get some time and instruction in the saber combat department. I used to be active in Amtgard here in town back when I was in high school (so 97-99...wow, that was a long time ago!) before the current "non-boffer" state of affairs. I've kept up from time to time with practice here and there, usually with bokken, or my old padded weapons from Amtgard. Haven't held a bokken in years now come to think of it. Oh well, I'm sure it's like riding a bike!

I've checked out the majority of the NY Jedi and PA Jedi saber combat videos, so I'm familiar with the principles of msot of the forms they show, but I've never really seen anything training-wise regarding my favorite form, Soresu. Seen a few videos of demonstrations, but never an instructional video on it. Still, it's not a hard form to learn, but apparently really hard to master! Anyways, looking forward to this weekend, if nothing else comes up.

And I would love to find a way to save money on fabric and the whole costuming expense. I'm going for the Ep IV Obi-Wan robe style, which is more intense on the fabric, but I can wear comfortable shoes without having to sacrifice authenticity. Function, style and comfort. It's the only way to travel :p

25. Darth_Nychus

Darth_Nychus Jedi Master

Oct 5, 2004
    I have some training in sword play both actual combat (ie. LARP and Reenactment) and stage fighting (through being a Ren-Faire actor. THe lightsaber forms are loosely based on eastern fighting styles and are readily adapted to the form of stage combat called the 8's (8 attacks and 8 corrosponding defenses). LED or Photo-emitting wire inside polycarbonate tubing makes for great saber blades (if you cant afford a Park Saber that is).