main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO News and Announcements Official thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm sure some of you have heard about the daughter of the 501st founder who is having lots of problems. There is a website going about her. They are accepting donations to help the family out. I'm going to donate a bit and was wondering if anyone wants to go in on this with me. We could send in a donation as a group simple from "StL FanForce." If anyone want to donate as a group let me know. I can collect at the December meeting then send it in after that.

2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I'll see if I can donate something for her. It makes me sad to see stuff like this. :(

Have to see how much money a jobless person like me has after Christmas...

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Boards are moving. Read that thread. This isn't the end of the world (even though it seems like it), and we have some input on what will be kept and changed. We don't know too much at the moment. I know that all threads, user names, and post counts will be saved and transfered.

4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    This sucks. I have a bad feeling about this.

This I got from the thread:
    Save your history, screen shots, bios, threads, and whatever else to your hard drive and/or burn to your CDs for future re-posting, etc. Technology has come a long way since the UBB->IGN/Snowboard days, so there are ways to make this move as painless as possible. Notify your friends who don't post alot, or who are away from comps at the moment, and do them a favor if they are unable to to save anything themselves if they are on public computers such as internet cafes and libraries, and save it for them. CDs don't cost very much, and they will owe you big time for doing them the courtesy. If the techno geeks here are able to save the active threads from the last two months, now is the time to up your old threads and post in them to ensure they make the biggee move...

No need to fuss about it or panic about it. just get ready, like you're moving to university or across country for a new job. This is all new, bigger, and better beginnings.

*gets out trunk, packing boxes, sealing tape, CDs, and prepares for move*

Way back when the move from UBB to IGN/snowboards occurred, CD burners were not common, nor were alot of posters as savvy as they are now. I only lurked during the UBB move, and when it evidently became a crash/burn move, the technology wasn't there or the geekdom weren't geeky enough or all of the above, to transfer everything, plus compatibility to do so. With this much notice (move is supposed to be between March and April, I read), we should all be able to back up our favs. If for some reason your fav stuff doesn't survive the move, perhaps the JC geeks can rehost/repost from your backups. or if all else fails, repost in newly created threads (copy/paste).

What, exactly, am I supposed to save? And how am I suppposed to save it?

5. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    You can save entire web pages. Hitting Ctrl + S saves them. I don't know why you'd want to since all the links would be dead and the images wouldn't work. But you can....

Also, you're supposed to save PMs if you kept them and they're important. Things like that.

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    There's supposed to be a way to save screen shots. I'm not sure how to do that but it can be done. I've seen screen shots to the really old boards. It's rather fun see them.

7. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    To do a screen capture you hit Ctrl + PrintScr. That copies an image of your screen to your clipboard which can then be pasted into an image program.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    This is all new, bigger, and better beginnings.

That will depend greatly on the manner that TF.N returns. I've told Dajuan about my personal feelings and what might happen with me personally if this move is bundled up. Still, I'll hope for the best...

9. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    To do a screen capture you hit Ctrl + PrintScr. That copies an image of your screen to your clipboard which can then be pasted into an image program.

Cool! I always had to use Paintshop...

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I've always known how to use the ctrl+print screen function. But I was just wondering why would you want to do that with your stuff? Just to prove that you have a postcount or had a title or something? I don't understand this whole thing... I will probably save them anyways.

Isn't this nice that this big change is happening right before Revenge of the Sith? [face_frustrated]

11. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I have no idea either. Anything I wanted to save would probably just get copy/pasted into Word. But that's stuff like the tutorials that have been posted in the Fan Films Forum. I'm sure the Fan Fic'ers will be wanting to back their stuff up. The JCC will want to back up the "So, There's This Hot Girl At Target..." thread and the other classics. Things of that nature.

12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I might want to back up some of the threads here, just for the heck of it. ;)

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    They are going to be moving every thread, locked or unlocked. Having a back-up is good security, but hopefully won't be necessary. I'll keep you guys informed of news about this as I have it.

I'm upset it had to come right now too. Why not a couple months ago when they knew we had to move anyway?

14. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Why not a couple months ago when they knew we had to move anyway?

Contract doesn't expire till then. Why pay for two services for a good long time when you're only using one.

And just so you know, part of the reason the boards are getting moved is because of the cost of operation on IGN. It costs ~$2000 a month to keep these running.

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    My point is they could have started the preparations in advance at very least.

16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Yeah. If we started earlier it would me more like a move, not an evacuation. :rolleyes:

17. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    I hope it doesn't effect the boards for very long in a negative way.

It might be for the better though.

18. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    That's what they started to say about the main site, then it turned out it sucked.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm hoping it doesn't look like the main site. A LOT of people feel the same way. From what I hear the new boards should be as good as these right now, just a little different. I would love for the new layout to be just like the current one, but I doubt it will be exactly the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.