main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NFL Postseason Awards Debate

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Who do you think will win the MVP this year?

Here's their stats at the moment...

Drew Brees

COMP/ATT: 318/479 PCT: 66.4% YARDS: 4,033 YPA: 8.42 TD: 25 INT: 10 RAT: 101.2

LaDainian Tomlinson

Rushing stats - ATT: 285 YARDS: 1427 AVG: 5.0 TD: 26
    Receiving stats - REC: 52 YARDS: 479 AVG: 9.2 TD: 3

LT's also completed 2 of 3 passes for 20 yards and 2 touchdowns.

One one hand, you have a guy who just broke the record for most touchdowns scored in a season... and on the other hand you have a guy who's on pace to throw for close to 5,000 yards for only the second time in NFL history... The MVP race is pretty much between only these two guys at this point as Peyton Manning hasn't been able to keep up and Larry Johnson, being the second best running back out there right now, has nowhere near the same numbers LT does.

I'm going with LT just because he's gonna end up slaughtering the TD record by about 5-6 TD's... the only thing is, even though he's a much better player than Drew Brees is, I'm not so sure he's more valuable to the Chargers as Brees is to the Saints.

EDIT: Also, if you're gonna come in here and post nothing but a name and not give any reasons or anything, don't bother... I'm sure there's a nice wall near you somewhere where you can smash your head through.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    At this point, Tomlinson.

Brees has had a few bad games, such as Cincinatti, when he threw for an ungodly amount of yards but also fired off four picks. LT has been unstoppable, essentially.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think Tomlinson will win it. Barring Bree's going undefeated, posting moster stats, and Tomlinson falling off the face of the Earth, Tomlinson should take it. If you take him off the Chargers, they are dead. Yes, he is that good. If you take Brees off the Saints, they're a sub 500 team, with still a good team.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Brees hasn't thrown for four picks in a game once this season...

and go look at what Tomlinson did against Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Baltimore if you think he hasn't had bad games this year...

and MASTERPRENN, if you take LT off the Chargers, they still have a great defense and a decent QB... and whatever runningback you put in there will have success... not LT type success, but success nonetheless.(Thanks to Lorenzo Neal)

You take Brees off the Saints and they'll be one of the worst teams in the NFL...

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    OK, then. He threw three that game, and three against Baltimore. Both were losses.

Pittsburgh, yeah not good, but they won. Kansas City, almost 100 yards, but lost. Baltimore, bad game, and lost.

Doesn't matter, either will work as MVP.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd honestly be happy with either being picked, with a slight edge going to L.T. Why? Because he's one of the most humble players in the NFL, is a massive talent, and gives the league a good name. Which is not to say Brees is not a great talent, I just think L.T. has brought more to his team.

No matter what, Sean Payton deserves coach of the year.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I agree with Payton winning COTY... I might've said Nolan if the Niners finished at .500, but it looks like that's not happening anymore with their recent 3 game skid.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd agree with that assessment as well, and also to add onto AJ's point about the Chargers offensive line being extremely efficient, you don't have to look further than Michael Turner's success as LT's backup (he's been hurt this year, but already has more carries than any other season). In comparison to most other backups, I'd say his stats look pretty good, 5 TD in three years and averaging 5.9 a carry.

As for coach of the year, I agree with Payton as the clear-cut favorite, but I also have to give some respect to Brian Billick for the work he's done this year.

9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I'd got with Tomlinson. He's just unreal. Brees is playing well also, and I'd be fine with him as MVP, but Tomlinson is just insane. He's the best player in the league.

10. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    It's tough... There both having phonomenal seasons. I think the big surprise here though, is: Drew Brees. I don't think anyone expected him to put up these kind of #'s (much less the Saints having a chance at the playoffs), and play with poise that he's played with pretty much all year. I mean in a 5 game span at one point, he want on tear that was just insane: Throwing 300+ yards or better with at least 2-3 touch downs a game...including a game that seen him throw 510 yards in a losing afford against the Bengles (good for 6th most yards thrown in single game). Where he could have also tied the record for must consecutive 300 yard passing games ( which also seen him throw for 1,954 yards, the most in a five-game span, in NFL history)... Not to mention: He has a shot a throwing for 5000 yards (a feat that only one "QB" [Dan Marino] has ever attained), and possiblely even breaking Marino's record. Wheather he does or not: It should be fun to watch. He's been the heart and soul of that team, and is the big reason why the Saints have been so successful. "IMO": I believe that there is no one else more valuable to his team then Drew Bress. My hats off to the Saints... For turning a team that was utterly horrible last year, into a team that could possible win it all this year... Sean Peyton: definitly coach of the year. A job well done turning this team around. *** damn how I wish the Dolphins would have signed Drew Brees -- what could have been had they signed him -- oh well a fools dream... Either way there both deserving.

Not allowed.

11. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    LT. He presents more options on the field. He can run it in, he can throw it in and he can be a part of a very effective play action set.

He's the best all-around back and he's two points away from tying the all time scoring record in a single season.

12. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    You never know about the Niners... although they won't beat Denver or Seattle unless a miracle happens.

And LT

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    What is the criteria for MVP?

I honestly don't think the Bears would be winning games if it wasn't for Urlacher. (He even causes the defense to score when needed). The kick-off returner on Special teams also tends to know and deliver when the offense forgets how to play.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    As someone who doesn't follow the NFL really closely, but just somewhat, I would say that while LT is the better player, and he is having a phenomenal season, Brees is the more valuable to his team, which is what the award is called. So I'd give it to Brees, but both are deserving.

15. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    I'd have to give it to LT because he's simply the best player in the league and is very valuable to his team, I honestly don't see them winning without him. Plus the fact that he rushes for like 100 yards a game, has 5.0 avg per carry which is very good. Is a good receiver and passer as well. Of course Drew Brees' team would suck pretty bad without him. And he's having one hell of a year. They both deserve it, IMO.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

16. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Of course I'm going to go with my man Drew Brees, but honestly, I hope they do a split MVP this year between the two of them. They've done this before with Brett Favre/Barry Sanders and Peyton Manning/Steve McNair recently.

Drew has been the man for the Saints. He came to New Orleans when almost no one else would even consider visiting here. He makes good decisions (he did have a bad game against the Bengals with 3 picks, but he also had 2 TDs and set a Saints record with more than 500 yards passing). His numbers this year are outstanding, but his leadership and the winning attitude he has brought to New Orleans can't be measured.

I think L.T. is the best back in the league and he is putting up silly numbers, but when you look at the touchdown record he broke, it isn't like he is really breaking new ground here. Sure he's scoring a lot of TDs, but that record has been broken 5 times in the past ten years with Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander and now L.T. Not exactly an unreachable record if it gets broken every couple of years.

17. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    I can't argue with either selection. I think LDT is the superior athelete and I think that he means the most to his team. However, Brees has been stellar...unsurprisingly stellar. I say give it to them both because they are by far the most valuable players to their teams and have been the MVP for the league by providing the best storylines of the season.

18. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    yeah, but barring something weird, LT is going to shatter the record. Everyone else has broken by a touchdown- LT is probably going to beat it by 4 or 5, at least.

19. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    now when you say "barring something weird" do you mean it's absolutely out of the question that LT doesn't score a touchdown in two of these last three games here? Cuz he went two games in a row earlier this year without scoring once...

20. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I was more thinking getting injured or yeah, not scoring. He did do it earlier, yeah, but he's on such a tear right now, do you see him really not scoring again? And yes, it's possible that he doesn't score, but don't you think that'd be weird?

21. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    not necessarily... if anything, he's due for a nonscoring game.

22. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    LT - Mostly because of Shaun Alexander winning it last year. Considering a great deal of his record-setting TDs were within 5 yards of the goal, I don't think his accomplishment was nearly as great as Tomlinson's. While he was a great asset, I don't think the Alexander was as integral to the Hawks' success as many believe - and he still won.

And I say this as a Seahawks fan. :p

23. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Fine then. For you it would be normal. For me, I'd be suprised if he went two of three games without scoring. Especially since it's play off time in fantasy and he's on my team.

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    With permission from the thread author, I've changed the thread title to give us a more broad spectrum to debate.

I think that LT is hands down the NFL MVP. That's not to discount Drew Brees, but rather to try to explain the amazing season Tomlinson is having.

25. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    last season he went on a tear to begin the year then didn't score for two games... then went on a 3 game tear scoring 8 touchdowns, then didn't score in the next 4 games.

You're putting unreasonably high expectations on him. I bet if he only scored two touchdowns in the final three games you'd be disappointed, wouldn't you? Players have ups and downs, get used to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.