main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** NOObie's... all appz all questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Hmm, that is weird.

Try this, merge it into a blank scene. Then Go to the Rendering menu at the top (where you would go to the material editor as well) but instead of going to the Material Editor, go to the Material Browser, Switch it to Scene on the left and see if there are any materials that show up on the right, if not then there's something really weird going on, if so then-----well, I don't know, that's really weird.

2. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    I did what you said, and all the parts are showing up.

Strange, 3D Max seems to load the textures when you open it from the folder but not when you merge it into a scene. (The textures are in the folder as well).

3. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Hmm, that's really weird, I've never had that happen. I would say reload each material into a slot in the material editor and reapply it to the part that it goes to, I know it make take a bit but it might be your only choice----but all it involves is going to a material slot, clicking the Standard button which should be on the right, below the part of the window showing the slots, in the new window, switch to Scene on the left, double-click one of the materials that it uses and it will be in the slot, then just select the object(s) it applies to and apply them again, if it doesn't then there's a serious issue, in that case, try applying a UnwrapUVW(UV?) modifier to all the pieces and perhaps it'll work.

4. UWN

UWN Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005

Can someone help me out by explaining to me why i do not get all of the textures when importing the Legacy model?

In the image that comes with the rar file of a rendered picture done by the authour Howard it shows more lights.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Matt

5. Hitekson123

Hitekson123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    Hi, when I render an animation in blender I don't know where it's going. Come someone help?

6. Devlin2013

Devlin2013 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2004
    I have a few questions for anybody who can answer them. First of all, I am working with 3d Studio Max 7 and I have seen a lot of models with lights on them, be it spot lights or just glowing windows (Especially on buildings and larger ship models) and I was wondering how you make those?

I was also wondering if anybody knows of a good tutorial for adding bones to an object. There are many characters and models that I would like to animate to walk around and I cannot figure out bone tools. Does anybody have any ideas?

Finally, is there any good noob tutorials out there for texturing? I not only want to know how to texture a fighter, or a building and the like, but I would also like an explanation of the steps that are described and how and what they affect on the model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Well, for spot lights you can make a spot light and position it where you want. For glowing windows some people just use a self-illumination map for the windows, but then they'll just be illuminated, they won't be 'glowing' if you want them to glow (kind of like a lightsaber glow) you can add a material ID and then add a Lens Effect with glow applied to the material editor for that material.

For bones and texturing, 3ds Max comes with a very good User Reference Guide and a Tutorial Guide that are both extremely useful.

8. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004
    I've tried looking for the Max tutorials because everybody tells me to start there, and I would love too. Except for some reason, everytime I try to open the Max tutorial files, it says file error and shuts down max completely.

The second thing I wanted to know is how to apply a material ID?

Thanks for the help.

9. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Try reinstalling 3ds Max. Also, are you sure you have the Tutorial/Help files installed? It should be standard on the installation but maybe you turned it off.

To apply a material ID just go to the material editor, select the material, then there is an icon that has a 0 on it, select that and set it to a different number, and then remember the number because that's the material ID for that material.

10. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004
    I've already tried re-installing, but I'll check to see if I have them shut off and I'll check for the files in the program files.

Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it.

11. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004
    Hey Darth Viper,

Okay, I found the tutorial files and read through a ton of them. I used the bone tools on one of the ATST models from sci fi 3d, but when I tried to animate the model it did this funky stretching thing where the legs became all distorted. How do I fix that?

12. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Change the envelopes on the skin modifier, your bones don't have enough influence.

13. masterzionosis

masterzionosis Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2007
    I know this is proberaly a stupid question and easily solved but here goes.

Most of the models i load up in max have texture problem's either some of the textures are missing and (or) when loaded the model doesn't look like they did on the picture's, and another problem is that even if i have all of the textures, alot of the models are black so i cant see them. I did also see that a couple of models didn't have any textures, but i can't remember witch one's, please, please, please can someone help me, this is so anoying.

This is a pic of another particular problem http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/masterzionosis/ssdpic.jpg
    As you can see it is all blue with other green colours on it when its supposed to be gray with blue glowing lights.

Thanks.

P.S. I'am using 3DS MAX 9, which is more advanced than the versions the models were made for but it should be fine because all they do is update the program to support newer models and the models i got are all below MAX 7.

14. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    It looks like that because that's just how it looks in the viewport, try rendering it. If it's still all those weird colors, then oh well, it's not textured or you're using a weird version. As far as the ones that are textured that don't look like the pictures. #1 When people put up the models that they've made they don't always give the scene file that made the image. #2 They may use a different rendering plugin to render that doesn't come with 3ds Max and then give the regular version to Scifi3D. But for me, I haven't run into any models that aren't textured that were supposed to be.

15. masterzionosis

Jan 5, 2007
    Well i'll give that a try and let you know, thanks

16. masterzionosis

Jan 5, 2007
    Ok i did a qiuck image render and it appeared to replace the wierd colors and made it look like the pictures, but i only tried it with the super star destroyer, so it might not work with alot of the other models, but thanks you've been a great help.

17. Archamedes

Archamedes Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2007
    i would appreciate any pro's out there to lend a hand and help out.

I have played around with it more (much to my fiancees disgust as she has had no attention) and i have kind of figured out about lighting, moving objects and moving the grid etc... However I'm not quite sure how to start making an animation and when I render a picture it always has a grey background. I have a nice death star bridge picture and want to know how i can get the bridge as a background. I have fiddled with all sorts and i just cant seem to figure out how to assign a background of my choice to show when it renders. So can anyone tell me how to start an animation and how to assign a background. Sorry i know its probably been asked before but everyone started off somewhere

18. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Basically, when I first started, I just tried to do things, the User help is extremely---well, helpful. Basically, get an achievable goal and try to work up to it. For instance, you want to change the background on the render, well why don't you search background in the User help guide?

We can't really go about telling you each and every thing about 3ds Max (That's just an abbreviation for 3D Studio Max, which also exports to the .3ds format) What I recommend is to try and do the tutorials, obviously don't try something that's too difficult, try something that's not too hard, the tutorials that come with Max are really quite good and if you can't understand that then it wouldn't be much use for us to tell you what to do because we'll use the same terms.

And BTW, to change the background, just go to the Render file menu at the top, go down to Environment, and then in the new window it will have a section at the top with the background color or a button that allows you to change the background to an image you have on the computer or to a map created by the program (like a gradient ramp or noise).

19. Corbin-Das

Corbin-Das Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2005
    Hello
    I'm using Poser version 7 and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for some hair models for Michael 3? I'm trying to find something that has a pulled back ponytail sorta like Steven Segal's with the widows peak. I found one for M2 that wasn't bad, but nothing for M3.

Thanks

Corbin

20. nepmarauder

nepmarauder Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2007
    Has anyone ever worked with the Rancor Beast model in the Star Wars section of the Sci-Fi 3D page?

I'd like to create an animation sequence with the model, but I don't see and bones to move to create such movements.

Any help would be appreciated. My e-mail is nepmarauder@yahoo.com if you would like to contact me directly. Thank you.

21. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Why Yes, I was the one that converted the model and set it up for animation. If you are using the 3ds Max version there is a Biped already attached.

22. nepmarauder

Feb 18, 2007
    I have the 3DS Max version of the Rancor model.

But, I do not have 3DS Max. I do have Autodesk VIZ, Blender, and Anim8or.

Do you know if can access the biped with the programs I have? If so, what do I need to do to access the biped.

Thanks for your help.

23. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    No, you can't. Biped is an animation system only available to 3ds Max. Once it converts to .3ds then the biped is gone. If you want to be able to animate it you'll have to rig it up with the programs you have.

24. nepmarauder

Feb 18, 2007
    Well, I'll have to see what I can do to get 3DS MAX.

If I can't, I know I will have to create some sort of bone skeleton. Once I have created the skeleton, could I just connect the bones to the various joints and appendages?

Thanks for the information

25. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    The way bones work is that the bones are connected to each other in a hierarchy and then that is used as a bases to deform the mesh, each bone generates a field of influence on the mesh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.