main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Not Myself (OWK/QGJ/OC's) - Complete - Replies, A/N, Links - 9/25/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Title: Not Myself

Author: bek

Genre: AU - Drama, some Angst

Characters: Obi-Wan (17), Qui-Gon, OC's

Summary: Obi-Wan was not raised by the Jedi. He spent the first ten years of his life with his mother and father until an accident changed that. He has spent the last seven years in the care of his aunt and uncle, living a life that has become anything but what he would have wanted.

Disclaimer: The characters (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc?) belong to Lucas or Watson. I make no profit from this. It's just a hobby.

Author Note: The characters, Kale and Cera Kenobi, Nayt & Jes Kalar, Traest, Master Healer Hebsley, Master Jedi Zarek Callen, and Jedi Knight Reed are my creations. (Cera is pronounced Sara)

I hope you enjoy the fic! :)

Chapter 1

"Woman!"

Without thought, Jes?s eyes closed briefly when she heard the call. There was only one thing that this particular demand meant. She had lived with this for far too long; she should leave, but the promise she made to herself and the vows she had taken would not allow it. She took a deep breath, gathering her composure; she would not allow them to see the humiliation she felt. She would hold her head high, her shoulders back, and walk into the same prison she had known for the last seven years with her dignity in tact. One thing she had discovered over the years was that her dignity was something no one could take from her. Try as they might, she would not allow it.

A hand gently covered hers startling her from her all too brief respite. Her blue eyes opened, focusing on the individual in front of her. She smiled at the young man and placed her free hand over his. Patting it gently, she turned and exited the room.

He watched her leave knowing what awaited her; he was no longer a naïve child. His heart constricted painfully for what she would go through; however, he had learned a hard lesson several times over about interfering. When he heard the door close, he went outside and hiked to the ridge that overlooked the town below. Sitting down, he closed his eyes. The lessons his father had taught him early on were unconsciously put into practice. His mind quieted as his senses were caressed and cleansed by a soothing balm, washing away his weariness.

He packed his things all the while catching glimpses of his son's somber looks. Placing the last of his tunics in his satchel, he pulled the flap shut and fastened the buckle. Looking around the room one last time to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything, he smiled in satisfaction and turned toward the chair in the corner of the room. Walking over to the boy who sat there, he knelt down before it and reached out, gently tousling the child?s reddish brown hair. "You'll take care of your mother while I'm gone?"

The small head bobbed up and down in agreement as a small hand rose from the little one's lap to wipe away a stray tear. When he looked up, he saw his father smiling. He loved those smiles; they were filled with warmth and made him feel secure. "Why you leave?"

Standing up, Kale reached down and scooped his son into his arms while turning and sitting down himself. Coming to rest on his father's lap, the little boy leaned his head against the broad chest beneath him, a contented sigh escaped when he heard the reassuring cadence beneath his ear. "Don't want you go."

"I know, little one. But I have to earn a living if I'm going to take care of you and your mother."

The child sniffled and rubbed at his eyes. He was always so glad when his father came home, but soon after the thoughts of his leaving would come and ruin the happiness he felt. A gentle breeze against his thoughts calmed him; he reached for his father the way he had been taught and felt the familiar barriers lower to allow him access to whatever he wished, save one place. There was one area that his father never allowed him to enter. His mother said it had to do with his work, that there were things he didn't want them to ever bear witness to whether it were t

2. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Great start! =D= This looks really interesting. Of course, as always, my heart goes out for Obi-Wan! He already needs a hug! [:D] Please PM me with updates and I'm looking forward to more!

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You know I love anything you write! :D Please put me on the PM list for this one. ;)

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    The child sniffled and rubbed at his eyes. He was always so glad when his father came home, but soon after the thoughts of his leaving would come and ruin the happiness he felt. A gentle breeze against his thoughts calmed him; he reached for his father the way he had been taught and felt the familiar barriers lower to allow him access to whatever he wished, save one place. There was one area that his father never allowed him to enter. His mother said it had to do with his work, that there were things he didn't want them to ever bear witness to whether it were through his showing them or his retelling of the situation.

Sounds like his father was Force sensitive, too. I love the setup (even though I think Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon should never be anything but a team). I look forward to seeing where you are going with this.

Please PM me with updates!

5. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    I'm intrigued.[face_thinking] Great start and if you send update PM's please count me in. I'd love to keep up with this one. :)

6. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    jedidas3 Great start! This looks really interesting. Of course, as always, my heart goes out for Obi-Wan! Thank you! :) I?m glad you enjoyed it.

VaderLVR64 You know I love anything you write! Thanks! The feeling is mutual. :D

dianethx Sounds like his father was Force sensitive, too. It may run in the family. [face_mischief]

I love the setup (even though I think Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon should never be anything but a team). I look forward to seeing where you are going with this. Thank you. And don?t count that partnership out just yet. ;)

Itachi-Uchiha I'm intrigued. Thanks! I?m glad the first post caught the readers? attention. :)

Author Note: Thank you for your kind comments and for reading! I would be happy to add you all to a PM list.

Chapter 2

Jes finished the laundry before moving on to the next chore on her list. Her mind was in tangles, going over and over last night?s event. Obi-Wan had had another nightmare. She had awoken in the early morning hours to hear him tossing and turning, his pleas tugging at her heart. By the time she reached his room, he had stilled, but the agony she saw etched in the lines of his face told her it was far from over. She sat down beside him and with years of practice, began to stroke his brow while whispering soothing words near his ear. His breathing was the first to adjust to the calming sensation she sent through her words; his features were next, the creases smoothing out as he relaxed into her touch. His thoughts soon adjusted to the changes and began to dissipate into nothing. When his sleep was once again tranquil, Jes took an extra blanket from the closet and stretched out beside him. She would guard his sleep; her time was one of the few things she had left to offer.

She knew when he woke that he would not speak of the torment he had suffered through apparitions of either his memory or his imagination. It was a game they played. He pretended everything was fine, and she didn?t ask questions no matter how much her curiosity wanted to be satisfied.

"Aunt Jes?"

Turning around at the sound of the voice behind her, the older woman wiped the moisture from her hands and smiled, "What is it?"

Obi-Wan reached up and ran a hand through his medium length locks, a sure sign he was unsure about what he was going to say. "I think I remember something about the night my parent's died."

Her left eyebrow rose slightly in question, and she nodded slightly to encourage him to speak. The young man had only been ten years of age when his parents passed, and the memory had been lost to him. Fragments floated through his minds eye on occasion but nothing he could recall with assurance. Yet, every so often a clear recollection would rise up from nowhere showing him the events of the night that had forever changed his world.

She sat down and gestured for him to sit, but he shook his head 'no' and began to fidget while pacing back and forth. His eyes were unfocused, evaluating something only he could see. She knew of the force, her brother-in-law had explained much to her in case she should ever come into custody of her nephew. She waited patiently until he finally stopped by the window and lost himself in the scenery beyond.

"We were getting ready to go to town," he began. ?We needed supplies for the coming month. The speeder was on the blink and my mother was concerned that it would break down, leaving us stranded. Our neighbor, Mr. Juris, was home, so she asked him if he would take a look at the vehicle. It was some time before he came in and told her that he thought it would be all right, but he wanted to tag along in case we had problems. So we piled in the transport and left.?

Turning toward his aunt, but maintaining his place next to the window, he continued, ?By the time we left for home, it was growing dark and the lights on the speeder started

7. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Sitting down in one of the kitchen chairs, she silently breathed life into the hope that had been born within her heart. Where are you, Kale?

I'm wondering that myself![face_thinking]

Poor Obi-Wan...He truly needs a hug! [:D]

Great update and I'm anxioulsy waiting for the next one! =D=

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan's eyes narrowed in contempt, but he said nothing knowing that his Aunt would pay for any further disrespect on his part. Releasing his grip, Nayt pushed the young man toward the door, "Get in the speeder, we have work to do."

Jes stood still watching them walk from the room. Her nephew often put himself into harms way if he thought for a moment that she would receive her husband's wrath. How many times would he allow this to happen before he finally snapped and fought back? Kale had told her many times about the dark side and the effects it has on a force sensitive.

Yup, that's our Obi-Wan all right.

Please add me to the PM list.

9. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    Poor Obi-Wan. Forced to do things he knows are wrong just to protect his aunt. :_| I hope he gets help soon and that it isn't too late for him to have a good life.

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Poor Obi-Wan! :_|

Jes?s eyes widened and the shocked hope she felt shown on her face. Her hand rose without conscious thought and covered her mouth. When she was able to speak, she asked, "Are you saying that he's still alive?"

Obi-Wan nodded, "I think so. If she was driving, then he wasn't there." He walked with her over to the table and gently coaxed her to sit in one of the chairs. She could see a question in his eyes, one he was afraid to ask.

?What is it?? she asked.

He took a shaky breath, "Do you think he could be alive?? He swallowed before continuing, ?And if he is, do you think he?s been searching for me?"

=D=

11. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    ok, i'm hooked. pm me please.:p

12. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

What a mean Uncle. I hope someone helps Obi and his Aunt soon

May I be added to your PM list:D

13. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    What a great story!
    Can't wait to hear more.

Poor Obi-Wan and aunt! Methinks they need hugging...

PMs please???

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I have to wonder where Kale is as well. Has he been searching and if so why hasn't he found them yet?

The uncle sounds like he's trapped as well and using anger and physicality to get his way - which of course, only drives away the ones he cares about. Foolish man.

Jes stood still watching them walk from the room. Her nephew often put himself into harms way if he thought for a moment that she would receive her husband's wrath. How many times would he allow this to happen before he finally snapped and fought back? Kale had told her many times about the dark side and the effects it has on a force sensitive.

They need to be found and soon.

Great job.

15. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    jedidas3 I'm wondering that myself! Kale will be showing up soon. :)

Poor Obi-Wan...He truly needs a hug! Great update and I'm anxiously waiting for the next one! Yes, he does, and his aunt is doing her best to give him what he needs. :( Thanks for reading! :)

Valairy_Scot Yup, that's our Obi-Wan all right. He's trying to hang onto as much of the person his father helped to shape as he can, but sometimes he isn't so sure that he's succeeding.

Please add me to the PM list. Will do. I hope you continue to enjoy it. :)

Itachi-Uchiha Poor Obi-Wan. Forced to do things he knows are wrong just to protect his aunt. I hope he gets help soon and that it isn't too late for him to have a good life. He may have a difficult time adjusting to a normal life after what he has had to endure. [face_plain]

VaderLVR64 Poor Obi-Wan The boy does need a hug or two! ;)

ratna ok, i'm hooked. pm me please. Welcome! :) And your name has been added to the list.

Gkilkenny What a mean Uncle. I hope someone helps Obi and his Aunt soon. Help is on the way, but Obi-Wan may have difficulty accepting it. [face_worried]

May I be added to your PM list. You've been added. :D

Qui-Gina-Jinn What a great story! Thank you! :)

Can't wait to hear more. The next chapter is below. :D

Poor Obi-Wan and aunt! Methinks they need hugging... That seems to be the consensus. :p

PMs please??? You got it! :D

dianethx I have to wonder where Kale is as well. Has he been searching and if so why hasn't he found them yet? He has been looking, but the galaxy is an awfully large place. :(

The uncle sounds like he's trapped as well and using anger and physicality to get his way - which of course, only drives away the ones he cares about. Foolish man. Indeed. Nayt has allowed his want of the life he lost to override his common sense and the good nature he once possessed.

They need to be found and soon. Great job. Help is on the way, though not intentionally. ;)

Chapter 3

Qui-Gon stepped off the transport, his satchel supported on one shoulder. When the peaceful atmosphere of the Temple washed over his senses, he realized how much he had missed being home; the mission had been long and trying. It was an assignment that would go down in the books as one he would just as soon forget. When he made it to the door to enter the corridor, he noticed a figure sitting with his back leaning against some crates at the far end of the bay. An air of melancholy filled the space around the younger man. Qui-Gon set his bag down near the hallway and walked over to check on his friend. Sitting down on a nearby crate, he sat quietly, waiting until the other broke the silence.

"His birthday is today," the voice said with reverence. "Seventeen," the figure looked down at his hands before looking back to the sky above.

Qui-Gon placed a hand on his colleagues shoulder, "I know wherever he is that he's missing you just as much." The image of a child with brownish red hair and bright blue eyes filled his minds eye. Qui-Gon knew that he was one of a few that Kale had entrusted his secret to.

"I never told him what I really was. And now that he needs that information he doesn't have it."

"He was too young to tell at the time. Besides, you and Cera both agreed it was best to wait."

"Yes, but at what cost? I know he's alive, Qui, but I'm running out of places to look. All of these years, all the missions and searches we've been on and not one clue, not one sighting?nothing. It's like he's just disappeared."

"Have you spoken to the city officials again?"

"They haven't come across

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah...so many questions, a few answers. At least the witnesses seemed to pick up that Obi-Wan didn't want to be there - will the next chapter see Kale and Obi-Wan face to face or must we wait a few chapters?

Obi-Wan placed a hand on her arm and without conscious thought, sent soothing waves to calm her fears. "I promise I won't hurt him. I'll stay right here." She watched him closely, their eyes locked. Finally, hesitantly, she allowed him to hold the child.

Sitting back on his heels, Obi-Wan smiled down at the boy. Their eyes met and he felt a soft clumsy smack against his shields. "What's his name?"

"Reese," she said.

Obi-Wan closed his eyes. When the force readily enveloped him at his call, he reached out to the baby to soothe him. When a warm presence filled the infant, Reese immediately quieted and cooed in response. Obi-Wan opened his eyes when a little hand reached up and tugged at the material covering his nose. The baby smiled, a tiny spit bubble forming on his tiny lips. Leaning down, the young man whispered, "You behave for your mother, little one. She won't always be able to protect you but she'll do her best. She's the only one you'll get, so take care of her."

He speaks from experience. :_|

17. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    *bows*
    Thank you for this wonderful update!
    And thanks for the PM! :D

So Obi-Wan's dad is a Jedi - hmm, guess one might have known. Though, how did he manage to have a wife and kid?? [voice_Padmé]I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi...[/voice]

Loved Obi-Wan calming the little one - and that the people around him realised he wasn't there because he wanted to...

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    At least Obi-Wan might be found after all, even if it's while he's robbing the place. I'm so glad that he calmed the baby down before the others hurt the child.

Good job.

Looking forward to more.

19. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    So fate is about to bring Obi-Wan face-to-face with not only his father, but Jinn. I can't help wondering how he will react to knowing his father is a Jedi. [face_worried] Great post.

20. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Very nicely written, and I like where you're going with it. Obi-Wan may be "not himself' but he shines nonetheless!

21. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

They will think he is a criminal, at least the people have spoken up for Obi-Wan. It may help him.[face_worried]

I think he will be an angry young man when he discovers who his father is. :mad: But then Obi-Wans forgiving nature will kick in and he will be happy. (heres hoping):D

great update=D=

22. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    I'm so glad to see Kale! [face_dancing]

Wonderful update! I love how you are bringing the past and the present together, hopefully ending in a reunion.

Keep up the great work! =D=

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I wonder what Obi-Wan will think of his father? [face_thinking]

Her eyes widened and she shook her head and then asked, "Are you going to take him from me? He's all I have."

Studying the woman, Callen resignedly smiled and replied, "No. We can only take a child into training if the parents agree. I can see he is a very important part of your life; I would no more offer to take him that you would be to give him. Keep him close and raise him well." He handed Reese back to his mother. "Thank you for your time. You have been extremely helpful."

After she left, Kale spoke up. "So, what do we have? There are three of them, all male, two older and one younger and the younger one is force sensitive. That's the only explanation as to why the child responded the way he did. With the commotion and the noise that was going on around them, according to the others, I don't know of any child who would have fallen asleep in the midst of that as upset as he was."

Callen and Qui-Gon nodded their agreement. "So now we find out where the next target is and meet them face to face."

Superb update! =D=

24. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I am VERY glad I found this. The plot is very interesting and unique compared to others. I very much like the AUness of however I still like the characterization of Obi-Wan.

Wonder what will happen when they all meet, ?face to face?.

Looking forward to more, and I hope more come soon!!! Oh and if you have a PM list can you add me pwease~!

UPPERS

25. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Sth just hit me. Obi-Wan is the child of a Jedi's secret marriage.... ???

Sorry for being dense, it just took me a while to connect the dots. Holy[face_cow]! I love this idea. So that makes room for a whole different story when Obi meets Ani.... (not to get ahead of the story or anything). Anyway, what a great exploration this is going to be. Can't wait for more!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.