main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Noxious Misunderstandings: (Obi/Qui) Post 52 [01.12.03] (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    This idea has been wandering around in my mind for quite a while now. However, I promised myself that I won't do more than 2 WORKS IN PROGRESS fics at a time and hence been forced to wait.

Remember, feedback is most appreciated. Even if you don't have anything positive to say and think that this story is plainly stereotypical, just come out and say it. :)

Conversations through the Force are indicated by //...//

Thoughts are indicated by ~...~

The first post will be up as soon as I finish editing it. :)

And, of course, I am not making any profit from this except for the feedback. ;) SW definitely belongs to George Lucas, and I'm never going to consider stealing his ideas! (gasp)

Aunecah

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    ?So, which one of you should I kill first??

Qui-Gon glared up at the black-clad man, feigning confidence that he didn?t feel into his face. Beside him, Obi-Wan was lying on the floor in a very awkward position, staring up at and through the man who was pacing the floor in front of him. His creamy shirt was stained with dark blood that was flowing down freely from the side of his forehead.

?I think I?m going to kill him first,? the black-clad man said to Qui-Gon, the hunger of a predator darkening his eyes. ?Because you have to know how it is like to watch a son die, don?t you??

?What are you talking about?? Qui-Gon asked despite himself.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had come to Riva to negotiate a truce between two warring tribes. They had been sitting through another heated debate between the tribes when more than a hundred raiders blasted into the Assembly Hall. The resistence of the Jedi had been futile; the Jedi were warriors, but there was no way they could have countered a hundred well-trained delinquents.

Most of the tribal people were now in much the same position as Qui-Gon: sitting huddled on the floor, their hands bound, guarded by the remaining raiders.

?Big, bad Jedi doesn?t even remember all those people he killed,? the black-clad man?the leader, Qui-Gon assumed?sneered. When it didn?t have any effect on Qui-Gon, he said bitterly, ?Muro Delik is my son. You killed him.?

Qui-Gon caught his breath. Muro Delik was one of the worst crimelords in galaxy. He founded the malicious Planetary Pirate Alliance, and was responsible for more than a hundred assassinations. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had finally tracked Muro Delik down on Alderaan, and turned him over to the Security.

?I didn?t kill him,? Qui-Gon said quickly. ?I simply put him in prison??

?Where he was murdered,? Gedro Delik spat out. ?You think that makes any difference to me??

Qui-Gon didn?t answer. He was becoming painfully aware of Obi-Wan?s diminishing strength. His presence, which usually burned as a bright star in the Force, was now barely even perceptible.

//Hold on Obi-Wan,// Qui-Gon said to his young apprentice through the Force. He waited a moment for a reply?something, anything that told him Obi-Wan was doing better than Qui-Gon thought he was.He wasn?t much of a healer, but he could still have helped Obi-Wan if only he could.

Qui-Gon wrenched his mind back into the present as Gedro Delik was speaking again.

?Any last words??

For a moment Qui-Gon thought Delik was talking to him. Then, he saw the blaster pointed at Obi-Wan?s heart, and realized that Delik was in fact talking to Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon suddenly felt bitter coldness storming into him. Obi-Wan didn?t answer. He couldn?t answer. He was hurt too badly and even the slightest movement now would prove fatal.

Delik gave Qui-Gon a quick wink as he set his blaster to Kill, and, grasping it with both hands, pointed it at Obi-Wan. ?You watching this Master Jedi??

?No!? Qui-Gon muttered vehemently. He half rose from his seat before he was slammed back in by the restraints.

Derik didn?t hesitate. If anything, Qui-Gon?s unJedi-like behavior seemed to encourage him. Qui-Gon felt him squeezing the trigger a moment before Delik actually did it.

//Move.// Obi-Wan?s body jerked to the right. But he hadn?t moved quickly enough. The laserbolt seared through the very middle of Obi-Wan?s heart. A wrenching pain tore through Qui-Gon?s body as a loving presence fled away. A cascade of glaring-white shrouded his vision, leaving him lonely and helpless.

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    :_| :_| :_| <---- This is a compliment.

And the polite thing to do when given compliments is to write more.

*glares at Aunecah* Well, I say so! [face_mischief]

4. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    :_| You killed Obi? NOOOOOOOOOOO! How could you? That's.... that's... that's just awful! [face_hypocritical] Gorgeous, though. Wonderful start.

5. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Uhm... [face_shocked]

You killed him? At the beginnning? EEP!

Definitely need more of this!! :)

Excellent! *off to sniff dejectedly in a corner* 8-}

6. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    obaona : Hmm ... interesting. I never thought that :_| was a compliment.

Wild_Huntress : I decided that being evil is the best way to attract readers. [face_devil]

Sheleigh : I'll be posting soon.

I finished writing the next post, and will post it here as soon as I finish editing it for grammatical tidbits. :)

Aunecah

7. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Obi is dead?!!! :_|

That's a way to attract readers, allright! [face_devil]

Nice one, Aunecah. :)

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Suzuran : I'm seeing it working. ;)

Anyway, here is the next post:

. . . .

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn bolted upright on his bed, gasping for breath. Prespiration was trickling down his face, making it appear as if he had been running nonstop for the past however many hours rather than sleeping.

He sat on his bed for long moments, staring at and through the moonlit shadows around his legs. Even now, when he finally managed to convince himself that it had all been only a dream, he still felt the fear and pain. The last scene in his dream in which Derik killed Obi-Wan played in his mind over and over again.

Suddenly, Qui-Gon jumped onto his feet. Not bothering to turn the lights on, he headed toward the door, calling his utility belt to him by a casual wave of his hand. The corridor was predictably deserted. It was the middle of the night and everyone on Riva knew that nights were a bad time to be outside?at least everyone who was alive, anyway.

Obi-Wan had been given a room at the end of the corridor, only three doors away from Qui-Gon. Originally, Obi-Wan?s room had actually been three levels below, but Qui-Gon hadn?t liked the idea of having Obi-Wan that far away from him on a planet like Riva. There was no way Qui-Gon could get to his apprentice quickly?not if he had to wait for an elevator or climb down the stairs without tripping?should such a need arise.

Qui-Gon knocked on Obi-Wan?s door. He managed to count to five before he knocked again. When, after a whole minute, Qui-Gon still got no response, he used the Force to unlock the door from the inside. Stepping in and thumbing the lights on, Qui-Gon opened his mouth to throw out a makeshift lecture at his apprentice when he realized that the bed was empty.

?Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon called, stepping further into the room. The room was not all that large, and was dominated by a large, comfortable bed. There were a couple of chairs scattered along the walls. The only place Obi-Wan could be hiding in was the refresher. Qui-Gon knocked on the ?fresher door, but he still got no answer.

Only then did it occur to Qui-Gon that he could have used the Force and figured out where Obi-Wan was a long time ago. Cursing his own stupidity, Qui-Gon stretched out with the Force. His apprentice?s presence was hard to miss, and it took Qui-Gon only a couple of moments before he tracked it to what felt like a hallway overhead.

//Obi-Wan?//

Obi-Wan?s response was immediate. Qui-Gon could feel the young one?s surprise. //Did female Hutts ruin your dreams again?//

Qui-Gon relaxed immensely, knowing that Obi-Wan was all right; at least all right enough to make snide comments at him, anyway. He felt his apprentice?s presence moving toward what Qui-Gon hoped was an elevator. //What are you doing roaming around at one o? clock in the morning, Padawan?// he asked sternly.

Obi-Wan took his time formulating an intelligent excuse. Qui-Gon walked out into the corridor again, on an intercept course to Obi-Wan. Usually, he reflected with a small grin playing on his face, Obi-Wan?s favorite excuse was a reworded version of ?I couldn?t sleep.?

//Will you believe me if I say I was incredibly fascinated by the murals on the corridor I?m in?// Obi-Wan asked.

//No.//

//How about if I tell you I was having trouble sleeping?// Obi-Wan suggested.

//That?s getting old.//

//What if I felt like attracting some trouble?//

//You forgot ?I?m paying my master back for all the misery he caused me in the healers? ward three years ago,?// commented Qui-Gon wryly.

//Do you like that? You can assume that?s the reason I?m awake, then.//

//I admire your courage, my young apprentice,// Qui-Gon said, coming to a slow stop near the elevator. He waited until the door opened before saying, ?Unfortunately it is very much misplaced.?

?Why are you always awake when I am awake?? Obi-Wan complained, stepping out of the elevator, and making a face.

?Because that?s when apprentices do things they?re not supposed to do.? Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow

9. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    *sighs with relief*

Ah, a dream. Whew.

Liked their interaction there. :) Nice. :D

10. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    This is great Aunecah!

I've got to tell you, I was sure worried there after your first post. It'd be horrible if Obi were to die that early in a story!

And then I saw you had another post up and I didn't have to wait for it (I was very greatful for it). And what a relief I got when I read it.

And the second post was great, the interaction between Qui and Obi was awesome. It was so real, their thoughts when Obi got caught in the hall :) , and then Obi's last comment at the very end about not blaming so and so for wanting to run away when they're Mace's padawan [face_laugh].

It's just all great!

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Suzuran : Yeah, it's all a dream. How can the story be Obi/Qui if Obi isn't in it? 8-} I suppose Obi can come back as a ghost or something. Maybe I'll consider that for a future fic. 8-}

Jedi_Bounty : Hi. Some people are just lucky about not going through the shock of seeing Obi die! 8-} Why, thank you. :)

I've finished writing the next post, and I'm sure you are all aware of the drill: I have to edit and proofread it, so that I don't caught making mistakes like ... uh, never mind.

Aunecah

12. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    And here it is:

. . . .

Riva was an out-of-the-way planet deep into the Outer Rim territories, only recently joining the Republic. Wars had plagued the planet for the past nine centuries, tearing apart its beautiful, green landscape. Obi-Wan supposed that, at one point in time, Riva had been filled with lushful forests and clear-water rivers. Now, all that was left was a barren stretch of wasteland bordering on filthy water.

The civil wars had been brutal, almost genocidal in a sense. There was no strategic planning or an effort to minimize civilian casualties in any of the wars. Each side simply threw grenades and missiles at each other all day, went to their tents to sleep for the night, and then came back to the battlefield the next morning to do the same thing over again.

That part of the planet that wasn?t laden with dome-topped buildings was laden with human-sized holes, some of which still held half-activated grenades that were waiting to blow up.

The most heated conflict was between the two main tribes?A?ksha and M?ksha. Their religious beliefs and practices were so different from each other that there was almost no hope for any reconciliation. The two tribes had been at war with each other ever since sentinent civilization had dawned on Riva.

The door chimed. Obi-Wan looked up from the datapad that he had been reading just in time to see Qui-Gon enter his room. Despite the hint of dry humor in his words last night, Qui-Gon had not been happy to find Obi-Wan wandering around after the dark, especially since he had specificially told Obi-Wan not to do such a thing. Inevitably, Obi-Wan had to sit through an hour?s worth of lecture about obeying ?your Master,? and this reading was part of the punishment.

Obi-Wan yawned. He had already read everything about Riva that he could get his hands on. This datapad simply summarized everything he had read so far.

?Did it tell you anything new?? Qui-Gon asked, letting his gaze slip from Obi-Wan?s face to the datapad in his hand. He looked back up at Obi-Wan again. ?Anything interesting?or odd??

?Of course not, Master,? Obi-Wan said sarcastically. ?What?s odd about rivers catching fire and spare detonators going off every three hours??

Qui-Gon chose not to the bait. He only straightened, folding his arms beneath his chest, and raising an eyebrow. Obi-Wan sighed. Sometimes, many times, his master was the most difficult man to please. Obi-Wan let the subject drop, not wanting to start off the day on the wrong foot, as he seemed to be doing a lot lately.

?There?s nothing interesting or odd about any of the information in the datapad,? Obi-Wan said in a tone of respectful obedience. He looked at his wrist-chrono. ?It?s almost nine. Everyone should be assembled by now.?

Obi-Wan was already rising when Qui-Gon said quickly, ?That?s one of the things that I came here to talk about.?

Obi-Wan gave him a puzzled glance. ?Talk about what, Master??

Qui-Gon didn?t answer immediately. He appeared to be deep in thought. Obi-Wan could see the internal struggle in his master as if his face were completely transparant. Wondering what could possibly be troubling his master this time, Obi-Wan decided to settle into a stance of patient puzzlement.

?Obi-Wan, I don?t want you to come to the meetings,? Qui-Gon said finally. His face was tight, a blank slate. Obi-Wan nearly started. Whatever he had been expecting to hear, this definitely wasn?t it.

?Why not?? he asked, now frowning. ?If it?s because of last night??

?It has nothing to do with last night,? Qui-Gon interrupted. ?Well, not really. At least not entirely.?

?Then why???

?I have my reasons,? Qui-Gon snapped. An unreadable expression overcame his face, but it vanished almost before Obi-Wan could see it. ?I don?t see why I have to disclose them all to you.?

?But, Master??

?You are staying in your room, and that?s final,? Qui-Gon said darkly. Obi-Wan would have argued had he not known that his arguments would be futile. He knew ?the voice? well. Qui-Gon used it on him a

13. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Darn it, here we go with Qui being mean again! Or abrupt. Or...something.

:_|
    Why?! :_|

Nice one, Aunecah. Are you gonna be posting 3 times a day for this? :)

14. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Suzuran : Why is Qui mean to Obi? Because nobody wants to read "Happy, happy, happy." 8-} I'm planning on posting as many posts as I can per day. So it really depends on how much I feel like writing on any given day. Does that mean that you'll get another post today? Hmm ... I don't know. You might. Stick around and see. [face_devil]

Aunecah

15. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    And here is the next post, if any of you are still reading:

. . . .

For Qui-Gon, today was much the same as the past however many days that he had spent in the Assembly Hall. He was sitting at the head of a long, rectangular table. To his left sat the A?Ksha, and to his right, M?Ksha. Both of them were shouting at each other; their voices were mingling so much, it was impossible for a third party to make sense of what they were saying.

Besides, Qui-Gon wasn?t interested anyway. ~I shouldn?t have been so strict with him, he thought. I should have at least explained to him why I didn?t want him to attend today?s meeting.~ But how could he justify wanting Obi-Wan to stay back in his room all because of a dream that might or might not come true? Obi-Wan would never understand. He would only think that Qui-Gon was giving him a lame excuse.

Now wishing that he had thought out something more convincing to say to Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon forcefully brought his mind back into the present. He would settle peace with Obi-Wan later. Right now, he needed to concentrate on the ?here and now,? as he so often told his apprentice.

After warring for centuries, and ripping the world apart until it was useless for everyone, the A?Ksha and the M?Ksha had decided that third-party intervention was needed. They weren?t very happy about depending on Qui-Gon for a judgement, but they were willing to follow his rulings.

Only, Qui-Gon was not terribly convinced that he was making anything better. How long would peace stand before war broke out again? Would the two tribes be willing to compromise?

Seeing that perhaps it was time to call a halt to their pointless debate, Qui-Gon opened his mouth. However, a gentle stirring in the Force brought him up short. It was not quite a warning; only a subtle shift that was worth noting. Qui-Gon dwelled on the feeling, trying to discern what the Force was hinting.

Obi-Wan felt it as well, only in more grandoise terms. He had been reading the assigned datapads, just as Qui-Gon had told him to, when he felt a sudden, pounding headache tore through his brain. The datapad he had been holding fell onto the desk in a loud clutter. He took a long time to see it; the initial pain held too much power:

A dark whip lashed out into the undulating fabric of the Force, creating an indelible hole, leaving Obi-Wan gasping for breath.

He had already jumped to his feet, and was halfway across the hall, before he realized that he had no idea where he was going. He didn?t know why he felt the compulsion to leave this room, either. Besides, Qui-Gon had strictly ordered him to stay in his room. If he found Obi-Wan wandering around in the halls, he would be furious.

Sighing, Obi-Wan went back to the study desk. For some reason, Qui-Gon always told him not to do something when the Force said otherwise, and vice versa, leaving him a dilemma: He could not go against his master?s wishes, but he could not exactly ignore the Force, either. He usually followed the Force, convincing himself that his duty as a Jedi took precedence over his duty as an apprentice. But that was an excuse, and Qui-Gon pointed that out to him with an accusing finger every single time he had a chance.

Obi-Wan feared that this time his master would do more than point a finger at him and say that he was a pathetic apprentice.

Frustrated, he jumped onto his feet again and began pacing the floor. Past experience dictated that giving his limbs some exercise usually cleared his mind and showed him a path.

Today was no less different, but the path didn?t turn out to be anything along the lines he had been expecting.

He had been at pacing the floor for only a couple of moments when he heard voices. They seemed to be coming from the corridor outside. Frowning, Obi-Wan started toward the door. Then, he hesitated. It was obviously a personal conversation. What kind of a Jedi went and eavesdropped on other people?s conversations?

He was all ready to turn back when he heard one of them speaking his name. Overcome

16. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Well, I'm still reading.

Obi, Obi, you shouldn't have left the room.
    And what do they want with him, anyway? To use him as a bargaining chip?

17. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    :eek: Very exciting. :)

So Qui-Gon had a bad dream (possibly a vision), Obi-Wan is disobeying his orders, the Force is warning him, and someone is looking for Obi-Wan.

I can only hope this story isn't as confusing as Marks of Fire. 8-} It's already got all the bad signs . . . ;)

Great posts! And sorry I didn't reply before - I didn't realize you had updated. :)

18. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Suzuran : Oh good. I like it when my readers are standing by to reply. 8-} Anyway, what do they want with Obi? Good question. It will be answered later, I promise.

Obaoana : What bad signs? It is only the 4th post. You don't expect me to tell the end of this fic this early on, do you? :mad: 8-} Anyway, no, this won't be anything like Marks of Fire. This is very straight-forward. Kind of. btw, I figured that, since I would be updating this often, sending PMs to all my readers would be a bad idea. So it is perfectly understandable about how you missed my updates. :)

You think I can post one more before I quit and go to bed? I don't know. I'll try. Wish me luck.

Aunecah

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Apparently, I can't post more before I go to bed. I've written and deleted the latest post three times already, and I feel that trying to come up with one at twelve o' clock at night is not exactly healthy. So I'm putting this off until the 'morrow.

Aunecah

20. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wow! This is really good, Aunecah! :) Please post more soon.

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Cascadia : Thanks. I will posting more soon, hopefully in around two hours or so. :)

Aunecah

22. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Here is the post I promised you guys:

. . . .

If someone were to ask Qui-Gon to sum up everything about the A?Ksha and the M?Ksha in one word, he already knew the answer: mordant. Captious and severely caustic, the delegates from the two tribes almost managed to put Qui-Gon to sleep. He suddenly found himself wondering if the reason the two tribes were here was to settle a lasting peace or to give their throats some rigorous exercise.

~More than likely, it is to put me through some misery,~ Qui-Gon thought to himself sarcastically.

That the delegates? Basic was rusty at the best sent the situation tumbling down into an abyss. Only three hours into the talks, Qui-Gon was already having a ferocious headache. He couldn?t understand why Obi-Wan felt so cheated out for not being able to come to the negotiations (if that word could be used for what was going on in this hall). If he were Obi-Wan, he would be jumping up and down in excitement, forgetting all the proper decorum that came along with being a Jedi Master.

~At least he wouldn?t be feeling this bored if Obi-Wan was here.~ Even though they couldn?t blatantly ignore the delegates and hold an interesting conversation themselves, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at least could talk through the Force, slip into the ubiquitous energy, and lose themselves in its splendor.

But alas! Obi-Wan was not here, and Qui-Gon was left to deal with these dreadful delegates all by himself. Sighing, he took the only option that he had: flouting the delegates as much as he could?it wasn?t as if they were going to affect his decision any (at least, not the way things were going right now)?Qui-Gon once again focused into himself, determined to understand the disturbance he had felt less than quarter of an hour ago.

He was actually quite surprised that he could still feel it. Usually, all disturbances that were so minute as the one he had felt, usually disappeared the very next instant. Qui-Gon tried to concentrate further in on the disturbance, but the screams of the delegates were echoing in the chambers of his brain, drowning the disturbance.

Qui-Gon sighed, deciding that any attempt at gaining understanding right now was futile. He would think about the disturbance later; the Force wasn?t really warning him about anything, and, right now, that was all Qui-Gon really cared about.

Grimacing , he returned to the present.

Obi-Wan hovered near his room, trying to look inconspicuous. Somehow, it never occurred to the young Padawan that a Jedi stood out like a Dug in a Corellian restaurant. Almost every single person in the galaxy was aware that dark-brown robes over creamy underclothes was a hallmark of the Jedi; and only someone who had lived under a rock for the past two decades wouldn?t recognize Obi-Wan?s face 9though the implications were completely lost on the Jedi, himself).

Obi-Wan needn?t have bothered. For some reason, the two men seemed to think that they were invisible. He now saw that the two men were shorter than he was by about a head. They clearly weren?t human. Having little in the way of clothes, they showed off the dull-gray of their skin that was blotched with spots of glaring red. Stiff tails moved back and forth in tandem with their muscular legs, somehow managing to stay clear of each other.

The young Jedi frowned as he tried to come up with a name that would go along with the physical description of the aliens. Unfortunately, his brain, which usually never took longer than two seconds for recollecting something, was failing to work. Obi-Wan felt as if he were trying to think after leaving his brain locked in a closet. Today just wasn?t his day.

Fortunately, he was distracted from his gloomy thoughts when the two male aliens stopped in front of Qui-Gon?s room. He unconsciously leaned forward, interested to know how they were going to break in. For all practical purposes, the aliens appeared to be novice bounty hunters who had never dealt with Jedi before. Obi-Wan had no trouble imagining them slicing the door into two (cons

23. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    :eek:

This isn't good. Security guards - bad sign! 8-}

Great post, as usual. :D

24. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    This doesn't sound good. Security guards after Obi-Wan!?! I'm wondering what this disturbance is.

Good job, Aunecah! :)

25. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    obaona : Security guards are usually a bad sign unless they are a part of the said queen's symphony band. 8-}

Cascadia : You will find out. Qui-Gon is wondering what that disturbance is as well, and I bet he will find out before long. ;)

I'm currently writing the next post, but who knows when I'm going to finish? My sister needs this computer, and I might not get to post until well after dinner. :( On the other hand, I might get to post within the next hour. **gets back to writing the post**

Aunecah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.