main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NRW]The prequels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Pipboy, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipboy

Pipboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2006
    Who would just throw the prequels out wholesale if they could?
    Who would Massively alter them beyond recognition?

I am torn between the two. Some of the surrounding works are very good... but I don't see why the prequels can't vanish and leave their superstructure behind.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I actually prefer the Old Republic hinted at in the OT, and expanded upon by Zahn, to what we got.

But that would mean no Qui-Gon Jinn...

E_S

3. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    The story of the prequels is good. It's the delivery that is faulty.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Episode 1...Anakin is 19 instead of 9...end retcon.

5. Crox

Crox Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2006
    I enjoyed all of the PT.

6. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    AOTC and ROTS. We never see what Boba Fett, Jango Fett and the Clones look like. We see them from afar, putting on their gear, etc. but not close enough to see their faces well. We only know that they are very light-skinned with very blond, almost white hair (parallel to the "Nazi" Imperials of the OT). And they all have British accents.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    huh?

8. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    Basically, I don't like knowing what Boba/Jango/Clonetroopers look like. It'd be cooler with some mystery about their appearance.

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Honestly...if we don't know what they look like...i could deal with losing Jango and the clone connection all together.

You want Boba's mystery back...kill the film backstory.

10. sith_rising

Jan 7, 2004
    I think you may be on to something...

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    See the link in my .sig...

[face_whistling] [face_mischief] :D :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

12. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I say....KEEP THE PREQUELS! I for one enjoyed them. Maybe they could have been better, but it could have been worse, they could have not been made at all. What are the consequences?

No Republic Comic Series
    No Qui-Gon
    No Dooku
    No Revenge of the Sith Novel
    No Shatterpoint
    No Medstar
    No Clone Wars Series
    No Outbound Flight?
    No Cestus Deception (Or is it Cloak of Deception that was good?)
    No Labyrinth of Evil.

All great stuff that wouldn't exist without the PT. We've got the Plagueis novel to look forward to, as well as the Coruscant Nights book. Also because of the PT.

Deal with a few Bad Love scenes, "Yipiee!", and Jar-Jar for all that? You bet.

Carnage

13. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Have all the Prequels re-written. Retcon the Gungans and Jar Jar out of existence entirely. Have Obi-wan's master Yoda. Have the Jedi Order allow love, just not between the Jedi. Have Padme a Jedi Knight, and Amidala is an different person and is the president of Naboo. Anakin is 15 years old, not 9(really, a nine year old being accepted for Jedi Training should be common place, considering how big the Galaxy is). Have the Trade Federation blockade be about slavery. Have Darth Maul use two lightsabers, instead of a saber-staff. Have the Sepratists begin using Clones first.

Have the blockade start 43 BBY(post the losing of the Katana Fleet) instead of 32, and have Valorum actually demonstrating that he has a spine. Have the Republic using Dreadnaught-Heavy Cruisers and other ships to attack the Trade Federation Fleet. Clone Wars start 37 BBY, right after the loss of Outbound Flight. And the Clone Wars is really what the name sounds like, Clone vs Clone. Have Palpatine's manipulations subtle, not clearly visible(like make people doubt that he isn't the Emperor? That was clearly visible in Episode 1).

That's a start. Really, a lot of the things in the Prequels have to change to live up to the magic and already established continuity that Zahn started of the Original Trilogy.

14. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I would keep them basicaly the same as they are now, but just replace some of the bad dialogue to make it better. Then it would be perfect.

15. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    ...you'd keep the deficent B-1 Battle Droids? The wooden characters? Everything that made Lucas deficent as a writer in?

16. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Why would anyone want to get rid of the best thing the Star Wars name has ever been attached to (ROTS, especially the novel) ?

17. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, SuperSaiyaMan12, you have a good point about keeping in continuinity with Zahn and his ideas. However, this is George Lucas' license, and if he don't cares about the EU in the past, why he would cares about it when he made the prequels? Are there anything we can do?

18. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    ....so you view the Original Trilogy inferior to the Prequel Trilogy. *hears gunshots*. You hear that, that's my faith in humanity commiting suicide.

19. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Why yes, Robert I do! [face_cow]

20. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    The Prequels showed that Lucas really should have handed the writing of the Prequels over to another writer, preferably Zahn or Stackpole. They showed his every weakness, plot holes, dialogue, and definetely lack of creativity(Gungans and Jar Jar anyone?). If he was the same man he was in the 80s, he would have realized that the EU had already established some of the crucial plotlines of the Prequels, so he'd probably just be the superviser to see if his vision is actually good, or that it has to change. Instead, current Lucas has a big ego that doesn't even think that he can do any wrong.

21. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    By changing the dialogue I would want it to make the actors seem less wooden. Yeah I would keep the battle droids, the dates, characters, and everything else. I did not think the stories themself were bad it was just some of the Important dialogue was bad and I would change it. Also I see no reason to change them just to make it fit with something that an Zahn wrote instead of leting the creator make his own.

God NO. I would Hate that, as we hear almost nothing about the other orginal characters but instead only how great all his characters and all what they did.

22. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    Even though the creator absolutely sucked at writing? Even though the Clone Wars wasn't that, it was the Clone vs Droid wars? By letting the scummy race, the Gungans and Jar Jar live?

*Hears more gunshots*Man, my faith in humanity must have been an bad shot...

23. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Am I missing something as I still see clones fighting in the war like in the title. And if I remember right even Zahn did not have both sides be clones.

24. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    He wrote it in the way that both sides were using one type of clone against another. He also hinted to evil Clone Masters which would bring down the Republic.

25. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Yes but I don't remember him mentioning clones on the Republic side, which was my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.