main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001

Thanks for the link,Adi.I'll check it out. Obiwan is the first Jedi in a thousand years to defeat a Sith.no one can take that distinction from him.he has the trust and admiration of the Council members,Knights,Padawans and younglings alike. Even Palpatine/Sidious is threatened by him.

By the way,don't forget when his eyes had a close up in this scene: General Grievous: Army or not,you must realize you're doomed.
    Obiwan:(close up on eyes): oh,I don't think so. I loved how he said that.

2. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Hey,how did the sad face get there?

3. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    What's with the scruffy look? He's not a nerf- herder. :-D

4. Adirondackjedi27

Adirondackjedi27 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2013
    Woah...whats Ewan doing on the cover of a gay magazine? Not that I'm complaining, I like the fact he's on it but...it does pose the question.

5. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Probably much the same as he is doing in this thread (providing some very welcome eye-candy? ;)) I'm sure he is appreciated by the gay community. It doesn't mean he is gay!

6. Adirondackjedi27

Jan 17, 2013
    No no, I know that, I mean i know a lot of my friends wish he were but oh well.

7. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    It was partly at least for press for the (fantastic) movie, I Love You Phillip Morris. Him and Jim Carey played a gay couple, based on a true story. They had great chemistry, they were adorable :)

laloga likes this.
  8. Adirondackjedi27

Jan 17, 2013
    Really now? I'll have to see if it's on DVD and get it from Netflix. I love Jim Carey, he's so funny.

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    It is on dvd and It's streaming on Netflix too! :D

10. Adirondackjedi27

Jan 17, 2013
  11. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Ewan and Jim Carey? I can't actually imagine that!

12. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    They're both pretty fun guys! I loved them together in this movie, great acting

laloga likes this.
  13. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Now I come to think about it, I don't think I've seen Ewan in a comedy.

14. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Down With Love? I Love You Philip Morris is kind of half comedy, half drama. True story so it kinda had all those elements, I guess, because life is kinda that way. It's not a strict comedy though

laloga likes this.
  15. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I haven't seen Down With Love. I suppose Emma had some humour in it although I wouldn't consider it a comedy.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, well "pubic humiliation" is the result of Siri manhandling him, so it was rather - appropriate, Ruth.

I don't think the review was "rude" per se; it was accurate but I do feel there is no need to give a "review" if the whole point is to point out an error and not actually comment on the story itself. I, er, stretched the Code when I replied - I thanked the reviewer and asked if there were any other mistakes he/she wanted to point out for my edification (not those words) because due to work many words come out wrong ("police" in a claim report always comes out "policy" and I certainly added and deleted enough "Hondas" that the pirate just always comes out "Honda" rather than "Hondo" as well). That comment was not HERE but there.

Eh, that's behind us.

Though I should mention that one of my reviews (there) also mentioned how my story illustrated the failings of the PT Jedi. As I'm sure you know, that is never the intent in any of my stories - do I think the PT Jedi was 100% correct in all they did and expected? No. Does that mean I think the reformed New Jedi Order is so much better? No.

I think the "accept and let go" is actually a very hard and very valid GOAL even in real life, but the interpretation of such is so widely different that different readers have so very varying reactions to such "platitudes."

What did you all think of my upstream post of Obi-at-Mt-Rainier attempt (Elements 6 before I upgraded to11)?

Oh, darn, looks like I killed the thread again...

17. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I saw that comment too and was sorely tempted to put my own review emphasising the exact opposite point of view! But then, I am very biased in favour of the PT Jedi so I'm not exactly objective on this subject. From personal experience, I know how hard 'letting go' can be, but it's better than the alternative. However, Obi-Wan was right about the truth depending on your point of view, so I accepted that other people don't agree with the Jedi way and I let the comment go :D

It was very good - especially considering how much trouble you had with it! (I am feeling the lack of a 'thumbs up' smilie on this site!)

BTW, if people do have comments about spellings or typing errors, what do you suggest - a PM, or is it better just to ignore it? I don't know about the etiquette of these things.

18. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    It was a bit on the rude side to me. And even more ridiculous since they did the exact same thing. Sighhh, but yes you're right.

I agree completely with the accept and let go for everyone - it is important to any kind of productive, harmonious life for any person which is why I don't interpret it as having anything to do with 'true' love or relationships. I think there's great strength to be explored and shown in being able to practice what is preached - overcoming obstacles instead of avoiding them or plowing through them. Though I understand for people with power like the Jedi it's especially important to strive for non-attachment and tread very cautiously.

I think some people see it as simply *rules* instead of a philosophy to live for and don't like that feeling of being constrained and oppressed - they relate with Anakin and that's how Anakin felt I think, because of too many misunderstandings. There are many interpretations - as I imagine there were within the Order as well. I'm not sure Mace and Anakin were capable of understanding each other truly - and some people see that as Mace's fault when really, as adults it's a two way street.

In the end I think it's good to get people thinking, even if its not the track you were intending.

I loved Obi on mt Rainier! It was great.

Don't worry, nothing killed! I just had to attend to my little monster and try to eat breakfast :p

laloga and Eryndil like this.
  19. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

Typo comments are always welcome to me - but a 'sandwich' policy is always good for any life interactions! Good, critique, good. At the very least, comment on the story as well. There's nothing wrong with trying to be supportive

laloga and Eryndil like this.
  20. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    See, this all makes perfect sense to me and I'm always surprised when people just don't 'get it'. I have to remind myself that the 'philosophy' espoused by the PT Jedi is one that is alien to many people, even though it's an obvious one to me. I also think that many of the comments about the Jedi Order completely ignore the central role of the Force in their lives, which influences their behaviour in ways that might not make sense without that understanding. Still, it's a matter of personal interpretation so there will always be different opinions on this stuff *shrug* :)

serendipityaey likes this.
  21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I don't mind someone pointing out an egrarious mistake in typing or grammar, though I think one should let lessor ones slip. (I am sure I misspelled egrarious above, but I wouldn't expect the spelling police to jump in on a thread like this.)

I think in a review, as part of critique, it should be acceptable to point out such things IF balanced with actual constructive thoughts on the story - that means a balance. A "review" that only points out errors is not a review - it's a criticism on the mechanics of a story.

I just read a story there that I so badly wanted to post a reply on along the lines of "funny parody" except I don't think it's meant that way and so I avoided "reviewing" for fear of offending. I don't think it works as a serious story, but as a parody it had potential.

Certainly, with the history we have here amongst us, I would be fine with anyone of you pointing out that same typo in a "jokingly snide" manner because we have a history and I would find it funny, not offensive.

22. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Exactly. I don't think they meant it to be rude, nor was the tone especially rude (except when they said Please fix your summary. As if you did something offensive and they're giving you a warning) but not commenting on the story is thoughtless and just not nice. I agree about the typo stuff

23. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I've been a 'nit-picker' for much of my life and I seem to be a born proof reader, so I tend to notice errors in spelling. I appreciate it when people point out my own because I will then go back and correct them, but I wouldn't post a review just to point out mistakes.

Now I want to go and read that story! Perhaps they could put an author's note to let readers know if it's meant to be taken seriously ;) Perhaps I should do the same in mine... [face_worried]

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004

I think it's a hard philosophy to really understand and can take quite awhile to figure out, let alone the discipline to try to practice. It's incredibly hard to let go, or even think about and like I said, some people get stuck on it being *rules* And I understand that because I don't think strict rules are always productive. Everyone's different an there's always exceptions. But I feel the code is supposed to be an ideal philosophy to always strive for - which does include guidelines to support that path like no marriage and no children.

I understand them not liking the hard and fast rules but I don't think the code has to be hard and fast and unforgiving in all cases. Relationships are part of the human experience and I quite enjoy trying to explore what the code and non-attachment means, by having Obi-Wan accept the obstacle of the human experience - caring about people - while still striving for an ideal non attachment. As close as a man can get anyway.

I still don't feel like I know or truly understand the Jedi path, but I like continuing to ponder it, especially through someone who tried with all he had to do his best and give the most. Obi of course

laloga likes this.
  25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh, it's a Yoda and Obi-Wan story. I admit I didn't look to see if it was flagged as a parody or whatnot. I should.

Strangely enough I am a born "nitpicker" as well except when it comes to my own work. I see mistakes in the news and on websites - wish I could earn a living proof-reading them.

As to "Jedi platitudes": I think one has to delve into eastern philosophy to "get" what GL was aiming for. It is all too easy to be upset that the Jedi "tell you not to mourn" when the idea is "learn to stop grieving because it is the way of life" - at least in my view.

You're right, too, in that "no attachments" means achieving a mind whereon one can "rise above" acting out of pure emotion, which as we all know oftentimes lead us to hasty and imprudent action. It does NOT mean don't like someone (which is why I hate Yoda in the early part of Wild Space where Anakin doesn't care if Yoda is mad at him for liking Obi-Wan enough to cry over his possible death - that's bull**** in my opinion, the way KM portrayed that).

serendipityaey likes this.