main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obscure, Unsubstantiated Rumor Indirectly Denied by Randy: Star Wars comics moving to Marvel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fleab88, Dec 20, 2012.

1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Once SW comics publishing moves to Marvel, I believe it will be revealed that The Glove is also TOAA.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How much would you be willing to pay for them?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    IDK

BoromirsFan likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Eh? Unless you've acronymed I Don't Know?

What happens on TPBs is the cost is subsidised to a degree by the monthly comic sales, so take those out of the equation and the cost of a graphic novel tends to higher than equivalent TPB collection.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Sorry for using an acronym.

As for the higher prices, how much higher will they be?

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hard to say.

But there are series that don't use the monthly model, for instance Franco-Belgian series. There a 48-page album will, with web discount, set me back £4.50-5.25, the cost of a 20-22 page $3.99 comic tends to be £2.60 so it isn't that much higher a cost.

On the other hand, a graphic novel series like Grandville has each book at an RRP of £16.99, which can be got down to £11 with web discount.

Most SW TPBs I'll pay £8-9 for, with an RRP of £12.99 to £14.99.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Interesting. I was trying to save Star Wars TPBs. I guess they could also try increasing marketing.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars is probably a name with a sufficiently high profile to pull off going the graphic novel route.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You were saying they should stick to comics so I was suggesting increased marketing to keep the comics going. Of course they wouldn't have any trouble going the graphic novel route. In fact, many TPB buyers probably see the existing comics as graphic novels.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well... they did do those "mini trade" TCW things last year, although I don't really know how well they do (and obviously they wouldn't have be stocked in bookstores like normal size TPBs).

I never understood why they made those so small though...

Or is this the reason? Because they're presumably cheaper to produce, so weren't such a risk to release compared to a full size run?

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There is a difference between the two terms in that respect:

Monthly comic: 20-22 pages, telling a complete story in serialised style.

Graphic novel: Tells a complete story and is envisaged as so from the outset and is done all as a single piece.

Interestingly, Stejpan Sejic is mixing the two, with a multi-volume graphic novel, with each volume being 160 pages, the first is due Feb 2013. I'll be getting it as I'm a big fan of his work, but it'll be a fascinating experiment too.

Of the two approaches, monthly comics for the US market is the less risky. The graphic novel route has a much higher risk/reward aspect to it which is why only major creators tend to succeed at it. But it isn't either-or, both could be done. There'd be nothing to stop DHC issuing say a Scaif SW graphic novel.

Out of curiosity, what marketing measures did you have in mind?

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Emphasis at comic shops.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Frankly, that's something I'd have liked DH to be doing all along. It worked for them with Serenity.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    See, to me, that's thinking too small, there's only a few thousand comic shops and the bulk of their clientele is conservative and unlikely to try new things. When I was buying monthlies the only way to guarantee I got SW comics was to have them on the pull list.

Better by far to be active at bookshop level, selling TPBs.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I mean that I'd like to see both - the way Serenity has had a number of short series, but The Shepherd's Tale worked better as a GN, so that's how they released it. You're right that monthlies are probably a profit driver to an extent, but the occasional GN, especially if they billed it as a "prestige" story and involved creators outside their usual stable, could do pretty well in bookstores. Union could easily have been done that way - "Look! The Marriage of Luke Skywalker!"

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh I agree Coop, I dislike the attitude, perhaps best exemplified by Didio, that monthlies and trades are somehow markets in direct competition with each other.

Equally, there are some stories that would be better done not having to fit into a number of 20-22 page parcels but can just be whatever length they need.

Don't quite get the view that these things are either-or, why can't I have both?

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's something I've missed with the mini-series approach as we don't get things like Homecoming or Into the Core anymore. :(

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Okay I forgot that this is a politicaly correct board, not everyone, but some people.

Anyway, regardless of this thread its pointless. No one knows what Lucasfilm will or will not do. In the end we have to wait and see. If Marvel gets it fine, if it doesn't fine. Throughout the entire comics run for star wars, I haven't read or seen anyone not respecting the franchise. Both from Marvel and Dark Horse. Both have there strengths and weakness.

I'm to the point that if Dark Horse keeps the license, great, if it doesn't well okay I'll just adjust with Marvel.

19. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    There really is nothing else we can do. What start a petition? We have all seen how that went. If Marvel were to get it and this is if.......I would like to see some of the stuff in animation form. Gang, lets face it the EU of the 90's which wasthe novels and comics books and the occassional video game are gone. Animation has taken a big jump since those times and star wars needs to catch up with the times. Nothing for nothing, but I'm a bit cloned wared out. We've had the micro series which consisted of 3 seasons, 2 volumes and a little over 2 hours of 2-d animation of the clone wars. Then we have the one hour and 30 some minutes of the clone war 3-d style animated movie, then we have 4 complete seasons at 22 epsiodes each clocking in at 8 hours a season for a total of 32 hours of more clone wars animation. Season 5 is already in progress with season 6 and possibly a 7 in the pipe (it ain't ending in 6). So thats almost a little over 51 hours of just clone wars stuff........Darth Sidious, Count Cooku, Anakin, Padme, Droids, Clones, jedi cruisers, sith, etc. It's getting old and the Family Guy and Robot Chicken spoofs ain't cutting. I want to see other stuff that dosen't have to be funny like the above listed and the upcoming Detours, or the constant "In the Name of the Republic" or "There can only be 2."

There are other eras that need to be brought out. By the way the three short animated Old Republic tie in to the MMO were great, but ......like fashionably usual short.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I hate to say this vong333, but this has been some of the best times for novels and comics. We've had three incredible guides almost back to back. We've had DHC expand out to the far future and the distant past. And despite the focus on the "Legacy" books, there have been a number of great novels too.
    That's the main issue with all these changes. If the SW EU had been "meh" in the past few years, then the idea that everything might radically change wouldn't be a big deal (witness the formation of the EU coming out of the era of Ewoks).

21. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't think I agree with this. If the EU was in a slump right now, perhaps that would help in the justification of a reboot, however there would still be a huge loss. Keep in mind, the EU is not just book and comics, we also have action figures and toys based on EU content.

22. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree with you 100%.

blackmyron likes this.
  23. vong333

Oct 18, 2003

The question isnt just about the comic books, in my case, I want to see different animation from the different eras. Nit everything can be the clone wars. On that token the same thing goes for the stories. Not everything do I want to read a novel or a comic book. Some stories are meant for animation and good ones

24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I saw in an earlier post in this thread that DH would address something about SW on their facebook page on Jan 1, 2013. Did they ever do that or was it made up?

25. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Not that I am aware.