main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithis

Sithis Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2005
    i can volunteer on most weekends, little things on weekdays

not much skils as far as i see though
    ive done some lv wiring and small transformers and switches
    no real electronics exp (exept if you count security camera controls)
    uhh painting, metal working and buffing some exo and arc welding there
    too (i do metal weapons n such)

ohh i can also drink, alot!

2. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    X-Wing Update...

Welder can work on her 1st week of April, then we can put her together and start working on her. No major issues or expenditures.

I'll keep you posted as we get closer and post a job list.

The GREAT news is the skids are being remade in metal - so no more falling apart!

3. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I probably just stepped in it again, but...

I just did another interview.

I was interviewed about the X-Wing... Guy asked some really intelligent questions and seemed genuinely interested, plus the Curator of the museum sent him my way, so I am extremely hopeful it won't be another "What a bunch of Goobers" type of article... So stay tuned to the following website and I'll let you know when it goes online

http://www.airliners.net/

4. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, we finished welding the X-Wing last night and have scheduled the first official work day on Saturday April 15th at the Museum. It's also volunteer appreciation day, so you just might get breakfast too. ;)

So if you'd like to help assemble her & move her to her new spot in the museum, be there or be square. ;)

Kev
    X-Wing Restoration Lead

5. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Around 9am? I'm knee high in costume making but if I get the lead out & work lets up just a little (or I get a new kush job..) then I may be able to make it. If not I will at least be a phone call away if you need me to run something by.

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    But aren't we just a bunch of goobers?

The site looks kinda cool. They'll probably treat the project like a large-scale model building project, and since it's not the kind of dorky goober project stuck in somebody's front yard to annoy the neighbors, the posting might actually be somewhat respectful of the work you've put into it.

7. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Just a reminder that tomorrow the 15th is an X-Wing work day at the museum if you'd like to help out. Even an hour helps. ;)

8. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I will be there w/ bells on... Well, I'll leave the bells at home this time ;)

9. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    lol

I will be there for at least a little while=)

10. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    do we have any idea about the welcome back party? I was talking to a grandmother the other day and I told her about the bird and the festiities and she was very excited for her grandkids.

11. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    That's Matthew's call. We just gotta get her together and presentable first. I think Jim has R2...

12. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    Kev, we can ask him tomorrow, he will be there, or so he said when I saw him earlier today

13. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    We still need to get a status report on R2 before we can start planning too much.

14. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    R2 needs work, that is the only report I have right now. I havent had time to fix him up yet. But hopefully I will have time soon. Most everything needs rewiring including inside the xwing, and that should be done after the xwing is fully assembled anyways...

15. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    [face_tired] What time is it? :eek:

Apparently the alarm clock finally met its end... And I JUST got up [face_blush]

16. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Doh! ;)

Well, Becca, Paul (PNerves), Brent (Dancing Stormtrooper) & I got her put together except for the engines (we have a much better mounting idea in mind) and Becca painted the brand new industrial strength skids. One of the engine LED connectors needs replaced, but overall, she still powers up and both sensors & sound still work.

Somehow the interior got demolished, but we were going to revamp that anyways.

Overall, a very very productive day and we all owe Becca, Paul, & Brent a big hand. Thanks to Lance and Zoo for trying to get out, but I guess we were too quick. ;)

I have to talk to Susan and see when we can get in to work again. Stay tuned!

17. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Let me know if there are any little things that need doing, because I have some time during the week that I can get it over there. :)

18. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    The other side of the landing skids need to be painted grey and a dirty-ing black/water wash needs to be applied to them. There's also a wooden block on the lower left wing (1st rectangle on the bottom) that needs epoxied on again. General cleaning (although we did a good job today). If I think of more, I'll post 'em. ;)

19. PNerves

PNerves Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2006
    Thanks for including me on that- brilliant! Anytime you need help, I'm there.

20. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I now have a new respect for the folks over at Disney.

Just got off the phone with Mark, the chief tech engineer in Orlando, and he graciously asked if it would be okay if he and his crew were allowed to replace the Gun Port pieces that had been broken last year. He had all the materials and was ready to cast the pieces with a couple of X-Wing experts he happened to have running around out there. ;) He also thanked us for getting it ready in such record time and for providing them with some assistance in getting R2 taken care of (both the R2 Builder guys actually work at Disney too [face_laugh] ).

This may actually be the first time the old girl comes back in better shape than she left in [face_laugh]

21. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    EXCELLENT!! that is great news!

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Or...you just jinxed it. :eek:

23. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Are you kidding? I made friends with the Mayflower guys too... They liked having someone else not only helping them get the thing loaded, but giving them serious instructions and assistance in loading and unloading the behemouth as well... And I even made the first guy at Disney very happy that we were providing them with a crew for the getting the whole thing put together and making sure it's running good the whole time.

Oh yeah, and I forgot, Mark told me that his crew has fashioned a new tool for the wing assemblies that they made :D

24. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    You said "tool." Ha ha ha.

25. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Here's our baby at Disney - a First Look:
    [image=http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7554/img14877qk.jpg]

And a comment by the picture poster I wanted to share with you all...
    "The X-wing looked really good, and with the green screen behind it they were able to do some really amazing backgrounds. Thanks for all the work you all put into this."

Kudos to Jim for busting his hump to get R2 back in shape - I owe you buddy (& have a great idea for a thank you), Jeff, Matt, Paul, Brent, Becca, Zoo, & Kim for helping get her ready for the trip to hurricane-ville. She's inside and protected and like Zoo said, will come back better than ever (hopefully).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.