main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    NOPE.

NOPE.

NOPE.

[​IMG]

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Anybody else here read Scarlet by Bendis and Maleev? It's all about fighting back against corrupt police and government. Kinda fitting that issue #6 dropped just as the rouge cop/Chris Donner situation in LA became big news.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Heh. I hadn't made the association.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah, the rouge cop. Enemy of Rouge_Ten!

5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    So, any opinions on the Orson Scott Card/Superman Adventures controversy?

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Er, what contraversy?

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Short version?

[​IMG]

But I think the petitions are wrong-headed; a boycott is sufficient and if DC chooses to apologize or recant their decision I will consider supporting them again. As it is, I was pulling so few cape books anymore I have taken this opportunity to go almost completely cape free. My selection will be strictly Image and IDW, plus Daredevil since, well, Daredevil, the day after Hellblazer #300 hits.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I say let him do his own creation but don't let him touch Superman.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly?

Come on, big blue is a conservative icon. I doubt Card will be pushing an anti-gay marriage agenda but he may have the right mindset for a Superman tale. If the personal politics of a writer upset you, I suggest burning yours and my copies of Sin City, TDKR, Year One, or the Wolverine arc Claremont, etc etc... because Frank Miller is not your friend either.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Personal politics don't upset me - I still listen to Varg, after all, and he is by all accounts a colossal ****. My issue with Card is that he chairs N.O.M., which moves him beyond the realm of "wrongheaded" to "active threat" in my book on what happens to be literally the most important issue of my life, bar ****ing nothing. So there's the line. Miller doesn't cross it - but incidentally I don't own any of his books, either, in what's probably just an amusing coincidence.

And also
    No. He was a conservative icon for a period of time spanning roughly 1945 to roughly 1970. Since then he has rather consistently been portrayed as above politics in favor of basic human kindness and wellbeing. Before then, during World War II, he was portrayed as a rather fervent opponent of the most readily visible force of hatred on the planet while simultaneously being depicted alongside racist caricatures of minorities, and before that?

[​IMG]

So, ultimately, I do not think either political ideology has an automatic right to co-opt a character with over 70 years of various authors writing him.

12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Personal politics don't upset me. Bigotry does.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry, how is Frank Miller not bigoted?

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The only Miller I own is a thick Sin City hardcover that I was given as a present. Otherwise I refuse to spend my money on him, either.

That said, I agree with Ramza. Mr. Ansible is not just a guy with different opinions, like Miller: he's actively pursuing an agenda of hatred and bigotry. He's the enemy. I'm not indirectly funding his efforts.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    oh don't get me wrong; I'm not paying for it either!

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I give it a big fat "meh". I highly doubt OSC is going to have Supes preaching anti-gay rhetoric. I think DC has more sense than to allow that. Even if Superman did become an anti-gay bigot, I say sic Midnighter and Apollo on him. [face_mischief]

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Regardless of my social stance, I am conflicted about this. Not that I actually believe that Supes will be used as a soapbox for any particular agenda in 2013, but even if he were, I honestly don't know how I would feel about it... simply because I have a fondness for comics-as-propagandha from an era when it was ruthless in its delivery. I have very strong aversions to bigotry, but on the other hand - if it weren't worth the price of my car - I would hug my "Cap Whacks the Japs" issue because I love its audacious awfulness so much.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It was retconned out.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd Like your response, but it would not cure my revulsion at the fact that it happened via the hand of some writer and artist and editor who just went with it.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Xavier has had sex with every woman he knew prior to opening the school. And quite a few, afterward. As a bald cripple with a unibrow. Does telepathic suggestion count as rape?

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That would raise some really bizarre ethical questions about Jean's ghost/future self/whatever the hell that was making Scott hook up with Emma.

... Well, okay, more bizarre ethical questions.

In more depressing news, last Hellblazer issue today.

[​IMG]

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    This is a dangerous road to go down. I remember the CBR boards had a huge argument over whether or not Longshot "raped" Dazzler because of his luck powers. I find it best to just not think about it.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I will lean toward: Bald cripple with a unibrow... who owns a mansion.

Darth-Lando likes this.