main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official * General Grievous in TCW Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheTelmarine, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    This is what I've been trying to say, but you've expressed this idea better than I.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    If Mace is on his A-game with these crazy Force-powers, why would it be the case that the minute Grievous shows up he loses his connection to the Force? If he can take all the bolts out of a battle droid and make it collapse, why not Grievous? Super-Force-resistant-screws?

TaradosGon and Spazmatron like this.
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Because crushing Grievous' chest from half a block away didn't require using the force...

Seriously, though. Perhaps they were battle damaged droids that were flimsy from having been thrown, or perhaps the droids are just less tightly assembled. I'm sure Mace's force push abilities are well above those of the average Jedi.

Irregardless, I see even less wrong with Grievous being lightning fast in combat (can't easily force push him if he doesn't stay in one place long enough), having the ability to leap from location to location, having a spinning torso, being resistant to high speed winds, and being able to use sabers with his feet as well as his hands. He does at least some of this when he's at his best in TCW, so I see no reason why not to accept the rest of what he's shown doing.

DarthJenari, Esg and Zeta1127 like this.
  4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Trebor is focused singularly on Dooku and he gets blindsided by Jango Fett. He has an excuse; he's more of a diplomat than a warrior.

Grievous is focused singularly on Obi-Wan and he gets shot... by Obi-Wan. In his gutsack, which is swinging in the open air and very obviously no longer protected by armour plating. If he's more than a match for Adi Gallia, what's his excuse for dying in a way that makes Coleman Trebor look like a sword master?

My problem with him is the exact opposite. :p

5. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    It's because Grievous is focused on Obi-Wan that he loses the fight and gets killed. Having just re-watched this scene, it's obvious that Grievous is too focused on finishing off Obi-Wan to remember the blaster he had thrown aside moments before. He was completely taken by surprise by Obi-Wan's force pulling the gun, and probably surprised that such a respected and respectable Jedi Master was using it.. He lost because he was overconfident, not because he's incompetent.

Esg likes this.
  6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought he was both.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Spazmatron like this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    So General Grievous has defeated multiple Jedi Council members simultaneously... but is caught completely off-guard by a Force-pull?

Seerow, QuangoFett and Spazmatron like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait a second. Coleman Trebor has a backstory? This is the guy who has so little info about him that his replacement on the Council is also named Coleman.

Oy. Sometimes I really hate star wars.

9. KeltheDor

KeltheDor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 21, 2011
    This is Star Wars. Everyone has a backstory. Its the way it works. Its also why the EU can be such a mess at times. I love it all the same, but its nearly impossible to make sense of at times.

Anyways, back to the microseries, why is it such a debated topic that it's stylized? Everything about it is over the top for a reason. That's part of the reason why it's so fun. It's like the Force Unleashed. Starkiller/whateverthehellhiscanonnameis isn't actually the unstoppable force-god that he is in the game. That would be ridiculous. His very existence would make Luke, The Emperor, Yoda, and pretty much every other master before him look completely incompetent. You just simply accept that the character was exaggerated in order to make the game more enjoyable to play. The microseries goes with the same mindset. Its fun. It looks cool. But I wouldn't consider it to be the way these characters actually behave.

Again, my opinion really means nothing if you are deadset on believing that Grievous and Mace really are the total badasses they are in Genndy's series. Just offering my own two cents.

AkashKedavra_93 and Spazmatron like this.
  10. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's Star Wars, dude. People who don't have backstories are the weird ones, rather than the other way around. And if they were on screen in a movie, no matter for how long, you can expect someone fleshed out their life story.

And personally, as odd as it may be sometimes, I love that. Everyone has a story because people have lives, not scripts. It really helps to make the universe more expansive, tangible, and solid.

Esg and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh believe me, I'm well aware of most obscure characters having backstories. What's the Story? springs to mind. But Coleman Trebor's story somehow escaped my notice. Either he's not obscure enough or he's just not that interesting. Seriously, I'd love to hear the amazing adventures of Coleman Kcaj, but Trebor? Meh.

12. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Frankly, yes. He's not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. He has a singular obsession with killing the Jedi, especially Kenobi, that he focuses entirely on that moment he's about to bring to Kenobi a killing blow.

Esg likes this.
  13. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey why not kill kenobi when he had the droid army at his disposal, Why not pick him up and throw him off the ledge..We can go on and on...But part of that poor showing by Grievous is on laziness and piss poor script. How many times have we seen this in movies before, the bad guy dies because he's either too arrogant, overconfident or in this case incompetent. It's the cliche' of the century.

Plus you factor in the huge nerf the character underwent.. That is how GL envisioned him I guess.

I like the other version of Grievous. The one that can duel with Mace Windu and fight against multiple Jedi. You know the one that has a backstory. Not this nerfed version that hates the Jedi for no apparent reason at all. Have we even had an explenation as to why Grievous hates the Jedi or why he even joined the separatists?

Inblackestnight, Esg and Heero_Yuy like this.
  14. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm pretty sure his motivation is that he's jealous that he can't become a Jedi. That is literally something a five year old would come up with. So, obviously that kind of embarrassingly bad nonsense comes out of GL's "mind."

Esg and DavidIX like this.
  15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Since everyone's digging my question so much, you also might want to consider whether if there is a viable explanation for that happening in Ep. III, what a possibly viable explanation might look like for him having the persona in EU that he does and that somehow being the same character who has that happen to him in the film. To me, it's like that Sesame Street song. One of these things is not like the other.

16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Unless his back story was retconned its partly because of alterations to his brain, and partly because the Jedi interfered in a war between his people and another group, and sided with the other group when his people were the victims.

I personally don't see a problem with the way Mace or Grievous were depicted in the original series. So Mace doesn't always fight his opponents hand to hand, so what? Few characters always do everything they're capable of, because the story would end if they did. Just look at Palpatine. He died by being thrown off a ledge...when he is one of the strongest Force Users in history and hadn't exerted himself in any way up until that point. You're saying he couldn't have grabbed Vader or levitated himself?

Esg, DavidIX and Paparazzo like this.
  17. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not following. But I think you're refering to the differences between the EU GG and the ROTS GG..Like I said, there is no "viable" eplenation, that was all on Geroge Lucas hand and this is what we're left with. The force push and blaster events are self explanatory, **** happens, he didn't see or realize the blaster was there..Nothing else to add there.

Esg likes this.
  18. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I think I read about it somewhere else on the board, but is it really true that for the Clone Wars microseries, Tartakokvsky deliberately exaggerated Grievous into something of an unstoppable killing machine capable of fighting and defeating several Jedi in one fight, while Lucas always intended Grievous to be like he was in ROTS and even in TCW?

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Vey. Sometimes I love Star Wars, just for that kind of stupidity.:p

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I much prefer GL's GG to EU's GG.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Character Encyclopedia- which postdates the change of Adi Gallia to "near-human"- uses the old story.

Essential Guide to Warfare mentions both- and leaves it vague as to which, if either, is true.

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

Mhm, yea. Totally the same BA in the comics, clearly George Lucas is ruining Grevious' reputation with this show.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I personally didn't feel Ep. III left him with a particularly strong reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.