main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official Hip-Hop Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BarryBonds25, Feb 7, 2004.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    chill song. pretty good.

question: has anyone heard the mixtape about nothing or its follow-up? It's pretty much Wale's crowning achievement from what I hear. And it's gotten great reviews, also from what I hear.

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Let's discuss this possibility:

[image=http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp4bfsSY6m1qcuv78o1_500.jpg]

3. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    anyone that smokes all the time is more often than not alien from rational thought.

4. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

If you liked AD, you'll like both about nothing mixtapes, check em both out.

5. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    AD was ok. 3-3.5/5

6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    I swear I gotta be the only Wale fan who swears by that album lol, to me that's a 4-4.5 album, I can play that entire thing front to back and enjoy it. Only song I was kinda iffy on was the song with Pharrell, it seemed too forced.

7. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I gotta listen to it again, but World Tour and Mama Told Me where both dope.

Drake Take Care cover:

[image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gEIyVzIcOKg/Tn2Bl6jV-FI/AAAAAAAADwI/FvaXOep5rk8/s1600/takecareFRONTCOVERFINALweb.jpg]

October... 24th or something.

8. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
  9. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    I have incredibly high expectations for Take Care

10. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Dreams Money Can Buy
    Marvins Room
    I'm On One
    Trust Issues
    Headlines
    Club Paradise
    Free Spirit

Seriously, that's album worthy stuff. Who the hell else is throwing away songs like that. It really reminds me of Kanye's last album. I wonder how many will be on the album, or will it mainly be fresh songs.
    Drake is easily going to have the best album this year, most of the other major players already dropped without really blowing me away.

At work, theres a house a few yards away, and theres someone who non stop has drakes new songs on repeat. The other day Trust Issues was playing non stop for about 3 hours lol.

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004

Co-sign all this minus Trust Issues, this song is all sorts of awful for me. I'm hoping he delivers though, I'm curious to see how many of these end up on the album. Headlines I'm assuming will since it's the first single, I'm On One is Khaleds, dk about the rest

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Okay yeah he's really attractive but **** Drake for real.

13. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    lollllllll wut?

[face_laugh]

Are we about to embark of a discussion of Drake's physical attributes? cuz his eyes are mad far apart. lololol

The fact is this album will be at least good. But I have a sense of sophomore jinx. Hopefully it's enough of a departure from his current body of work as Thank Me Later was so as not to sound too monotonous in the context of the rest of his music. Hopefully his content is more intelligent than the money/girls things and less predictable than rap/singy bridge/singy chorus. But we'll see.

At the end of the day, I'm a pretty big Drake fan and will be copping, anyway.

edit: btw, anyone know the song that had Wayne and Ross [at least] on it that had a similar sound to the [semi] horns in Headlines? The ones at the beginning of the song? Also sounds like beginning of Transformers theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AIFoBRIny0

14. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Apparently Memphis Cole is gonna sell between 200-250K opening week. Credit where it's due, he really surprised me. Too bad most are dissapointed by the album, which is the only thing that matters.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I only brought it up because of Ossy's *pause* which obviously means he's gay for him.

16. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    lol do you even know what pause means?
    I used it cos the Drake cover is whey*

*if you know what i mean

17. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    as in protein?

lol

18. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    lets just say it shares the same title as Jay's reply to Ether.

lol

but instead of Ugly, replace the word with the colour of Cam's clothes.

19. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    basically the covers well *** innit

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    But you loves it.

21. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Drake:

"Ain't nobody sit with me.."

22. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Cole World: The Sideline Story

5 mics

Serious. It's near perfect. You know it's true cuz db thought it was good. Even with the songs I've already heard- hearing them in context informs them even more. Also, I love how interwoven it is with his mixtapes. It's very much its own album, of course, but between "youkno?" on the intro, dollar and a dream iii [love how he save the 3 for the end, btw. made me lol- like it's an afterthought]- there's the come up [course dollar and a dream is all 3]. Then lights off is warm up. In the morning is friday night lights.

Glad Work Out is a bonus, because it's really the only song on it that I have a slight problem with.

And no Who Dat was wise.

The only thing I don't like about In the morning being on the album is the new context. The follow up track on fnl was perfect and I'm not used to hearing the sequel track being different.

23. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhha

Srsly rofl

Anyone who gives 5 mica after a few listens is just kek
    An album needs time to gestate

24. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    ok.

anyway, here's a cole video:

Daddy's Little Girl

apparently a bonus track, but not on my album. s[cratching]mh.

sick tho.

edit: J. Cole on Cole World track by track from billboard.com

and to actually address what you said, db.

I disagree. When you know you know, man. This dude is hands down my favorite rapper after this album. All my favorite rappers... I identify with them a lot, but there's always something missing or off for me. I wish he didn't talk about this so much or I never had to go through that, but this dude I feel like is saying almost everything I feel. He makes me want to quit rapping. Obviously I still haven't experienced everything he has and vice versa and I wish he didn't do some things etc, but this is the closest.

On top of that, I've been jamming to this dude's music HARD for the last year or two. Really getting into his mixtapes. On loop non-stop. I gotta playlist of just his 3 simba songs and have had that on loop for weeks while this album was waiting to come out and then the lion king movie and all that. lol.

I'm a huge fan of symmetry, too. It speaks to my soul. Cole is on that.

I just know, man. I put the **** on and listened to it. I didn't hear it. Yeah, you need to hear something a bunch of times to get it. I listened to it. That's what I do now when I get an album. I just put it on a good system, just me and the music, and listen to it.

I don't know what you need to hear it for 10 more times anyway. The beats are sick. The features are sick. The lyrics are sick. The hooks are sick. The message is sick. The flow is sick [of the album itself and the songs]. The story is sick. Everything.

I'm not gonna go too crazy and say this is better than RD or illmatic or RtD or somethin crazy. not yet. For THAT, yeah I need some more listens, but for 5 mics? Nah, homie. I had already heard it 10 times before I listened to it once. ha.

edit 2:

albums I knew were 5 mics when I heard em the first time:
    illmatic
    ready to die
    reasonable doubt
    the blueprint
    college dropout
    black album
    my beautiful dark twisted fantasy
    get rich or die tryin
    strictly for my *.*.*.*.*.*.
    the documentary
    Chronic 2001

other ones, you're right, took me more listens. and some of these maybe have been degraded to 4.5 since, but for the most part, I'd say, I was right. You know a timeless album when you hear it.

25. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    lol he hasnt got charisma or mic presence at all.

http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.com/2011/09/big-ghost-review-for-cole-world.html

lawl

Also most of the albums you listed you had the benefit of hindsight and people telling you they 5 mic albums. smh.