main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** Love Story discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Dark Helmet, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irishjedi49

irishjedi49 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    Joseph Campbell often writes how a hero's journey is never a simple one. The hero is forced to take a path, or visit a land long forgotten by everyone in his realm, in order to conquer the evil master, and put things right in the world again.

For Anakin - this place that he needs to visit is the Dark Side. None of the Jedi will dare to look at it. They won't study it. They fear it. They fear its power. That is why they were exterminated.

Anakin does not fear this, he embraces it. He wrestles with evil for 20 years. He clings to his darker emotions- because to be fair- they are his last links to his huminity when entombed into the machine.

Then finally he realizes that holding onto pain and hate gets you nowhere- and being a slave to your darker emotions- only causes more suffering.

When he finally lets go of his anger he is redeemed.

The Joseph Campbell analysis is very interesting, PLJ. I appreciate what you're saying about how the hero must wrestle with the darkness before coming back, and of course I appreciate the way Vader is redeemed in the end by killing the Emperor and saving his son. That's one of *the* key facets of the entire saga. However, I fear in emphasizing Anakin's journey the gravity of his actions is minimized. Though he will conquer it in the end, he doesn't originally embrace the dark side to try consciously to conquer it, nor does he embrace his fear to try to overcome it as a way of succeeding where the Jedi are not -- it's not for as noble of motives as that. He slides down this path by making poor (even if understandable) choices with devastating consequences, and is finally a slave to the dark side where "there is no conflict." (Yes, he says this at the end when it's no longer true, but presumably it has been since he made the decision to follow Palpatine, abandon Obi-Wan, the Jedi and Padme.) He helps destroy the Jedi, who might not have been wiped out even by Palpatine without his help (presumably). In the course of "wrestling" with evil, Vader manages to terrorize the entire galaxy. We have no hint of any internal struggle even existing there until he finally acknowledges Luke's pleadings by his line "It is too late for me, son." I may be misreading what you've said, but I just think that while Anakin may be a tragic hero in some ways, in his fall he manages to destroy a lot more than just himself and so may not fit that classical definition.

BTW, off topic, you knew someone who Steve Young proposed to? Sweet. Wish that was me :D even though I would have been ineligible, not being Mormon.

But I don't know how I can be seen as a real nasty for simply pointing out the obvious - this thread does tend, at times, to get all weak in the knees about how nice the romance in AOTC is. Sorry if that observation offends some... but take a good look back over the last few pages for some immediate feedback on whether that observation is fair.

Shadow, I think that was a fair observation. Unapologetic swooning has been taking place regularly on this thread over the past few days. It's been fun ;)

2. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    foreverjedi,

Thanks for the insight. I didn' see DV as a tragic fallen hero, either. Altho I do somewhat feel sorry for him.

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Okay, yes, I know this would be better in the fanfics, but once again I present you with my take on the deleted scene in which Padme completes C-3PO and confesses her feelings for Anakin. THIS is where it starts relating to the love story, which is also why I want to post it here for you fellas to read.

Anyway, here goes. (this happens RIGHT after the Tusken scene I posted earlier)

Padme stands in the kitchen of the Lars homestead as Beru walks by. Both faces are solemn. Anakin had been gone all night. It is just before the twin sunlight. The light has began to peek through the windows in the kitchen. Padme is seriously worried, as is Beru. Everyone is worried. Padme looks at Beru.

?I?m going outside? if he comes back, please come get me? Padme said, in a calm voice, which also hinted at a bit of worry.

?I will, dear? Beru proposed, while releasing a gentle smile. Padme walks out the kitchen door, and Beru continues cleaning.

There is still a morning chill. Even Tatooine, the barren
    planet that it is, can be cool in the morning fixture. It is fairly silent outside, except for a gentle wind that breezes through Padme?s hair and disturbs her clothing a bit. Padme folds her arms, and continues to walk around, not knowing what she wants to do. She is worried about Anakin, worried about Obi-Wan?s investigation, and worried about any possible assassinations. To put it lightly, Padme isn?t exactly living her most comfortable times. She needs someone to talk to. Thoughts of Naboo, her lakeside adobe, and the green hills run amok through her troubled mind. In many ways, she shares the mind of the person closest to her. The person she relies on for safety and comfort. It has taken some time, but she realizes who she needs. And who needs her.

Padme notices the garage. The wind blows in that direction. This causes Padme to remember what her mother used to tell her, every night before bed. It was part of her lullaby. Padme goes over the song with her lips:

?In night?s bend,
    ?When all seems lost,
    ?Follow the wind;
    ?When hope seems false.?

It was her favorite bedtime tune. The rhythm and melody struck a chord in her heart. Padme would never forget the way her mother would structure the song. The wind directs Padme to the Lars? speeder garage. It is dark. However, the walls block most of the morning air from entering so it is a bit warmer inside. Padme unfolds her arms and searches for a lightswitch.

?It is on the left of you, Miss Padme? said a proper voice.

Padme is startled by the voice, but calms after recognizing who it is. She flips on the light, and in the corner sat C-3PO.

?You startled me, Threepio. It?s not polite to scare a lady like that? Padme said, giving the droid a warm smile, hinting at the fact that she is not talking to the droid in a serious manner.

?I am quite sorry, Miss Padme. It was not in my intentional programming. Please disregard my actions? said the droid, who is obviously upset that he scared her.

Padme walks toward the droid, and finds a stool. She pulls it up
    close to the droid, who sits on the ground of the garage. Padme gives C-3PO a confused look.

?Do they treat you this bad all the time?? Padme asked, wondering why C-3PO was sitting on the ground of a speeder garage, unattended to.

?Treat me bad? I?m sorry Miss Padme, your choice of words confuses even myself. That is hard to do to a protocol droid. You have real talent.?

Padme giggles at C-3PO?s humor. After laughing, her smile remains.

?Am I humorous, Miss Padme?? the confused droid asks.

?Well of course you are. You were built by? by Anakin? Padme says, starting her words on a high note, and trailing off to a low note. Mentioning Anakin has downed her once again.

?Is Master Anakin a humorous person?? asks the droid, obviously interested.

?Yes? I?d say he is. Anakin? well, he?s always really? enthusiastic about things, I guess you could say?? Padme remarks, very sincere in her words.

?Do you like being in the presence of Master Anakin?? C-3PO solemnly asks.

?Anakin

4. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Am I at the right place, is this the "Love Story Thread" or the Fan Fiction thread?

Boy, I'm gone a day and everything changes.

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    You are in the love story thread.

Notice how my story about the love story is in the love story thread.

Not to mention, I really don't want to start a new topic in the fanfic board. It won't hurt ANYONE if I post something RELATED TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

If this bothers you, wow, you are easily bothered.

6. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Well this place is going to be hopping then. There are hundred's over there. Will definitely get the posting up.

7. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    hehe this is a cute vision I just had. Obi Can, who is sporting the icon of Obi Wan's lightsaber is arguing with Pooja, who is sporting the icon of Obi Wan. I suddenly got the strangest vision of Obi Wan arguing with his lightsaber. :D

8. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Look I'm just posting my take on the love story. It IS a fan fiction of course, but it also heavily relates to this topic and is perfectly acceptable.

If everyone really doesn't want me to post this stuff, I'll stop, but I don't see how it hurts.

hehe this is a cute vision I just had. Obi Can, who is sporting the icon of Obi Wan's lightsaber is arguing with Pooja, who is sporting the icon of Obi Wan. I suddenly got the strangest vision of Obi Wan arguing with his lightsaber.

hehe.
    [face_plain]

:p

9. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    It's good, Pooja! "Goodness, gracious me." - C-3PO

10. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Padme notices the garage. The wind blows in that direction. This causes Padme to remember what her mother used to tell her, every night before bed. It was part of her lullaby. Padme goes over the song with her lips:

?In night?s bend,
    ?When all seems lost,
    ?Follow the wind;
    ?When hope seems false.?

It was her favorite bedtime tune. The rhythm and melody struck a chord in her heart. Padme would never forget the way her mother would structure the song.

I am particularly fond of that.
    :)

11. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Hi Pooja, nice to meet you. I'm Obi-Can and feel free to post anything you want. Everything is fair game as far as I'm concerned. Just a little taken back, when one of the first post's I read was a fan-fiction.

Oooh, Two Obi-Wan's, be still my heart.

12. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I suddenly got the strangest vision of Obi Wan arguing with his lightsaber.

Ah....LOL!!! :D Guess the last ten years have been tougher on him than they seemed. :)

And also, very cute son. Zam's too.

Obi-Can, ever wish we could get the Kaminoans to create a few Obi's of our own? ;)

13. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Hi Pooja, nice to meet you.
    :)

14. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Oddest thing, too, his lightsaber talked back! :D

15. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Naw,

Thank you. :) He's a cutie. (He hates when I say he's "cute" so I modified it. heh heh He prefers "handsome." *rolling eyes and grinning* )

16. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    *waits around to get yelled at by Obi's lightsaber* Any second now...

17. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Naw,
    Have I thought of cloning Obi-Wan are you kidding. If I thought I could hide them from by bf, I'd have one for each day of the week.

Undomiel,
    Yes, I've heard his lightsaber is very talented. (I'm so naughty). ;)

Who's cute? Please share.

18. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Obi Can,

My son is cute. I is a proud mom. He gets irritated when I say he is cute. I asked him why? He said, because men are not "cute" they are "handsome" or "attractive", but they are never "cute!"
    heh
    [image=http://futureprometheus.com/arts/son1.jpg]

19. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Wow, good job mom. Very "handsome" and "attractive". Nice body, can't see the face too well. Who does he look like? You or Dad.

I unfortunately don't have a scanner, or I'd be showing off my own devilishly handsome baby boy, he's 13 and I think Drop Dead Gorgeous and talented and funny...Well you get the idea. Typical mom.

20. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    [image moved]

It's somewhat appropriate to the topic.

21. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    hehe. He looks like both of us.

You're not going to yell at me? :) You must not have read the back pages. :D

*wipes sweat off forehead*

22. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    ROFLs at Padme Puffs. *cough, cough* This cereal is deli.. *cough*..cious. *puff*

23. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    ROFLs at Padme Puffs. *cough, cough* This cereal is deli.. *cough*..cious. *puff*

24. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Blah, I hate being at the bottom of a page. Re-posting:

[image=http://members.aol.com/invalidrequest/padmepuffs.gif]

25. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    No???, Why would I yell?

I got home from work late and then had to pick my son up from soccer practice. Too tired do too much reading or thinking today. I had a very bad case last week, that I'm still dealing with. If it's bad I'll just wait till tomorrow to even look.

However, I think you know that I don't take too much seriously around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.