main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Book Club Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Bane, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Still hesitantly reading Unseen Queen...taking it little by little...almost makes me want to write my own story.

I forsee the Jedi going to war with the Republic or Galactic Alliance... Either that or everyone just hates them so much that they shoot on site.

2. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    I'll bring my new gunbelt to show off too since most of you haven't seen it yet. I pulled some of my sketches together to bring and maybe I'll bring a painting or two along as well.

3. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey Guys!

I have to work tomorrow. :( Keep me updated of anything that happens.

4. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Slight chance we won't be there tomorrow. I felt like crap yesterday and spent today at home trying to shake it. As of now I feel quite a bit better but we'll see how it is in the morning.

5. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Q: I just read a sample of Outbound Flight, and I was wondering if it is out already or out soon? Always glad to see Zahn write another book that has Thawn in it! ;)

6. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    It comes out Tuesday, January 31st.

7. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    I just finished Outbound Flight. Timothy Zahn has done it again! Wow, what a terrific read. (So refreshing after reading the drivel that Denning wrote.) =D=

8. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    This is great to hear since I have stopped reading SW right now and have gone to something else as a respite from mediocre (hmmm... very bad?) writing.

Not sure when the next book club meeting will be yet but I know it won't be in February as I have no free weekends this month. Give me some Saturdays in March that work for all of you...

9. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Just finished Swarm War... My Reactions: ***!? What kind of war was that? What kind of book was that? Denning is killing the SW EU (sobbing)! How did this book get approved for publishing!? This is just wrong... it's like some amateurs attempt at a fanfic! Plz, tell me that this is not the end....plz? hello? nooooo......

10. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I haven't picked up Swarm War yet but plan on doing so soon (after I finish my current non-SW book) since I am a bibliophile-masochist and will torture myself because I can't read 2 of a trilogy and not know how it ends no matter how bad the writing is. I've heard that Swarm War is the worst of the three books. Oh joy. * sarcasm * Sheesh. Not happy to hear that but...

However, from all reports, Zahn's Outbound Flight will renew our faith, to a point. Del Rey better have more good books coming down the pipeline or the SW Expanded Universe is doomed to die a horrible death in the literary field.

11. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Outbound Flight was well worth the wait. Much, much better than the bug books. It's too bad we can't put the post-NJO books in the hands of Zahn and Stackpole.

12. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    I'm going to have to get OF then. I hope it is much better than the dark nest crap.

13. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Even though I don't normally buy the hardcovers I may pick up Outbound Flight at Zahn's signing next week (I talked to the Asst Controller this morning about getting off that day and it's looking good). :) Otherwise, Sara, can I borrow your copy if I decide I don't want to buy the hardcover (I hate paying for hardcovers because that's usually the cost of 3 or 4 paperbacks)??

14. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    If you don't mind waiting until after the signing. I am actually hoping to get Survivor's Quest and my Mara action figure signed instead of Outbound Flight, but there's a good chance they will limit it to Outbound Flight only since that's what the promo is for :( So I'm bringing copies of everything.

15. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I can wait since I'm not reading SW right now anyways...

NEXT BOOK CLUB/SOCIAL MEETING
    When: Saturday, March 25, 1PM
    Where: Leslie's Place
    What: Whatever...and I'm sure we'll talk more about how much we hated The Dark Nest books. And we might even talk about Outbound Flight (including my and Sara's trooping with the 501st on Feb 23 in Chicago for the Timothy Zahn signing).

16. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Did you get a picture of the book signing?

Looks like I'll be able to make the next meeting as my manager has let me off work that weekend.

17. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I've got my pictures from the signing here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jedicallista/album?.dir=4633&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jedicallista/my_photos

18. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Nice pictures. Good weather too!

Hardback, eh? I love those but they sure get expensive.

19. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I doubt that I am going to get that Saturday off from work but I am going to try. I could not get Jamin's birthday off from work when I requested it. I miss you guys.

20. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    Great Pictures and costumes! Nice to see the "Darth Vader" there was actually tall..the guy who wears the costume for the St. Louis stuff is 5'5" and all the storm troopers tower over him.

21. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    The Timothy Zahn/Outbound Flight book signing was a lot of fun and we got to meet a couple more 501st members as well. I won't link my photos here since they are pretty much the same as Sara's (Shawn was taking pictures for me as well). Besides the great weather, Random House gave us each a free copy of the book (which Kathy was sent and handed out) and Timothy signed each of them for us just before the group photo with him.

*** REMINDER ***
    NEXT BOOK CLUB/SOCIAL MEETING
    When: Saturday, March 25, 1PM
    Where: Leslie's place
    What: Well, we can talk about Dark Nest (though I haven't read Swarm War yet but I don't care if anyone spoils the ending since the first 2 books were bad and everyone tells me the 3rd is the worst one of the trilogy). And anything else we want to talk about...

22. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    A couple members of the Chicago Force book club had a table set up at the Zahn signing. They actualy hold their book club meetings at Borders. Shawn pointed out that our group would probably get kicked out of a public meeting place due to our conversation topics and noise level :) Besides, we couldn't watch MST3K then.

23. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    My local bookstore in Oconomowoc hosts book club meetings (and there's a Stonecreek Coffee attached to it as well as a Bruegger's Bagels) but there's no way it would work out for us. Yes, we are a book club but we're so much more and being as loud and raucous as we can get sometimes (and as Sara points out we couldn't watch MST3K or the damaging SWHS), I can just see the disapproving looks and the eventual "Sorry, you're no longer welcome here."

Besides, I have comfy chairs, 2 sofas and a floor plus 2 cats that make people laugh and we couldn't serve all the food we do either!!!

24. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Where is that bookstore in Oconomowoc? 'Cuz my bookstore here does not have a great selection of Star Wars...

25. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I'm hoping some of you get to see V for Vendetta before next weekend. It is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time and would love to discuss your thoughts on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.