main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official **NON-SPOILERS** AOTC music discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, since we now know EpII's name, I thought I could start a formal thread about the music in AOTC.

How about Duel of the Fates? I sure don't want it in AOTC, but I'd love to see it in the AOTC trailer!!! That music represents too much of TPM to be used in battle for AOTC, but it'd be so cool to hear in the end of the AOTC trailer!

What are your thoughts?

~Sithy~

P.S. I would politely like to ask you NOT TO TALK ABOUT ANY SORT OF SPOILERS, MINOR OR MAJOR!! Thank you!

2. Circusboy39

Circusboy39 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2001
    Well I was watching ROTJ the other day and it struck me that maybe that "Luke and Leia" theme that was dropped a few times during the movie will actually be used by John Williams for the love theme of Anikin and Padme. It would kinda make sence being as how Luke and Leia were created out of that love and it would help add some of Padme's presence to the later movies.

P.S. - I'm assuming that the fact Anakin and Padme fall for each other isn't counted as a spoiler so if it is, feel free to go ahead and have someone delete this. I'm just making sure; you did say "any spoilers". :)

3. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

STAR WARS
    EPISODE II
    ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Music Composed and Conducted by John Williams

OMG!!!! I can't believe Johnny's name is going to be tacked on to that!!!

:eek:

4. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Why not? It's already been tacked onto "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".

Anyway. Let's not discuss the title here. Let's discuss the music.

I think the DotF theme may return in one form or another. It could be very emotional if orchestrated differently, and maybe augmented rhythmically.

5. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I reckon the Duel of the Fates will be hinted at in some fight scene or other, also I reckon Anakin's Theme will becoming more and more like The Imperial March. Also, does anyone reckon it would be good if Obi-Wan got a theme of his own for this story? I know back in Star Wars he's got a theme, but now that's more associated with the Force, so I think maybe he should be given a brand new theme of his own. I wonder if Mace Windu will be given a theme of his own...

6. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Maybe DotF when Anakins fighting, slowly hinting at the Imperial March. It'd be showing just where Anakins getting his strength in battle...

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    wow, you guys really think that DOTF will make an appearance? I hope JW keeps just in TPM, and thinks up new music for AOTC.

~Sithy

8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, the only reason I think he'll reuse it, even if only briefly is because he reused many of the themes from Star Wars in Empire Strikes Back. Also, through using Duel of the Fates, hopefully it will refresh people's memories of the events of The Phantom Menace.

9. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I hope "Duel of the Fates" doesn't show up in AOTC. I'd like to see some new music representing the duels in the film.

As for new themes.. I think Anakin and Padme will get a love theme. Since we know their relationship won't last, I hope Williams will add a little foreshadowing to it as he did with "Anakin's Theme". I also think we might get a "March of the Clones" theme, since they seem to have a large role in the film.

Of the themes from the previous films... I hope the underused droid motif from ESB makes an appearance. "Yoda's Theme" really should make a triumphant return, as it was only used for a few seconds in TPM. "Anakin's Theme" will most likely return, sounding closer to "The Imperial March" than before. And of course, "The Emperor's Theme" will have to play whenever Sidious is onscreen.

10. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    I doubt we'll be hearing Duel of the Fates in this film because it's own title describes and event (the death of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan revenging him with Rage, and the eventual acceptance by Obi-Wan to train Anakin). Thus the DUEL of the Fates. It wouldn't make any sense to reuse it AOTC. Though, if they could work it into the trailer, that would be cool. I'm thinking John will develope a semi-familiar force-style theme for Obi-Wan in this film.

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, how about Boba Fett's motif returning in AOTC and EpIII? I think it should, just for the 1st time we see him. :D That'd be cool cuz it's such a subtle, foreboding motif.

~Sithy

12. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    If Duel of the Fates shows up in the trailers, I wouldn't be surprised. It's the most memorable piece from the previous movie.

Though I hope it doesn't show up in the movie proper. It should have its own signature piece.

13. Maatkk

Maatkk Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Yeah, Sithman! I always loved the subtle Fett theme.... Only a few well choosen notes... for a mysterious and somewhat creepy feeling. That theme could very well take much more importance in AOTC! :D

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    For those of you who don't know what Maatkk and I are talking about, you can hear Boba Fett's motif (since it's not really a theme) at the very beginning of track 3 on the ESB CD2 in it's entirety.

I love it because it shows the quiet, quick, deadly, yet somewhat mysterious air that Fett has about him.

~Sithy~

15. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    My hope is that JW leaves the duel sequences unscored, as he did for most of ANH and ESB. He scored the duel sequences for ESB, but most of it was left on the floor. The only part of the ANH duel that was scored was Ben's death.

I hope he does the same for AOTC. Just let the sound effects provide the score. Absence of score, especially its sudden removal, can create a great deal of tension.

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    It depends on the type of fight that George decides to depict. If it's an all-out, Jedi-hates-Sith fight with no emotional ties like TPM, then by all means, put in some uptempo music!

But if it's like the ANH, ESB, and ROTJ fights (the ROTJ fight was subtly scored), that were mostly mental and emotional battles, then yes, either score them in a subdued manner or not at all.

~Sithy~

17. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    It would be nice if JW could create a new theme for Obi-Wan that combined elements from Qui-Gon's theme and the Force theme. That way, there would be connections to both Ep. I and the OT.

18. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Big new romantic theme. :)

I think what we need to see in general are simpler, more hummable/whistlable melodies.

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    More hummable melodies? Well, I found Qui-Gon's theme very hummable, same with DOTF. The only ones that weren't were Anakin's theme and the TF theme from TPM.

Ooh, and ja, I'm looking foward to the new love theme, JW is so good at those. :D

~Sithy~

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    A very minor theme that I would love to see return and expanded on is the one used in "The Racer Roars to Life" which is repeated later on a recorder in "Anakin is Free" when Shmi tells Ani that he can't stop the change. It was also used in the Shmi Tone Poem commercial. I think the melody is stunning and would love to hear it used more... Perhaps it is Shmi's theme??

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, is that Shmi's theme? I love that piece, and I've heard people talk about "Shmi's Theme", but never knew what it was.

Hmm, yah, if we see Shmi again in AOTC, then I really hope to hear it. :D Also, what if Obi-Wan or Anakin is sometime reminiscing about Qui-Gon, it'd lover to hear it in it's subtle version heard while Qui-Gon dies. :_|

~Sithy~

22. Maatkk

Maatkk Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Well, I find the Anakin's theme to be VERY hummable! (ask my exasperated wife ;) )

23. THE-SITH

THE-SITH Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2001
    I really think Duel of the Fates should be in the film, but in a very subtle form and redone a bit.

For the most part, I want most of the music in AOTC to be completely original and focus less on TPM or any of the other films. Of course, there will be some music returning... but John Williams is a genious when it comes to composing, and I'd love to hear something new, because for the most part it's almost always fitting for the movie.

As for the original music itself, it will depend on the duels and scenes in the movie for the "feel" of it. But if this is a love story with a bit of trajedy... a few good "feeligns" to get from the music would be sadness, hope and anger mixed with uncertainity.

24. pianoman02045

pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    What i think should happen is that there should be a trace of Duel of the Fates but diffenatly not in the trailer cause then we wouldn't know what new stuff JW wrote or atleast get a taste of it. Also i think that Anikans theme is gonna be a bit darker than at the end with just a bit of the Imerial March.

25. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    I wonder if DOTF will fit in anymore. I don't know why but i think the "action-music" will sound a bit different this time.
    One more thing, as far as I always thought, when people say force theme,you mean obi's theme right. I take it they have become synonomus.. (or however you spell that)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.