main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Academy Training Manual mentions it.

I thought that it was translating from the computer game- though I suppose it could have been some other source.

Wookieepedia mentions a few:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hethrir

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    MOD WARNING
    Guys let's play nice. Next person to disregard this, will be banned. Thank You.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    But if you disregard 'Crystal Star' why not 'Children of the Jedi?' (The one book I actually threw away - it made my eyes bleed) - and dare I say, I don't wantt o see Dorian Gray herself? She who never ages? Eternally 25 with leather pants, Mace's Saber and not a gray hair to be seen? Do they even have Miss Clariol in a GFFA?

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    If the rumors of Disney wanting complete content control moving forward and in the ST (which is apparently part of why TCW was canceled etc...) I don't think t hey'll just make up a "break point", as that still puts some big limits on what they can do and the characters they can have moving forward.

I don't think we are going to see any "half measure" solutions, to use a Break Bad term. I don't think we are going to get some of this or a little of that. Its just more info they have to educate fans on, and limits on their creative people, in all departments. If they keep up until 19 ABY, it puts a lot of limits on prequel material they can make leading up to and coming out of Episode VII and the ST. It will either be they stop the current EU and re-start it or they take more of a Marvel approach.

5. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats the issue with "just make a cut point" EVERYONE will have a different opinion on were it should be.

6. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

I don't think so either, just my personal preference that some of it stays.

7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    My personal preference would be that the ST is fully EU compatible. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's going to happen.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Also, re-starting and the Marvel approach give Disney the most oppertunities for profit. Both open up lots of space and options to produce and sell more material. The more current EU they keep the fewer options they have to make new/more material to sell.

Lots of people already own Heir to the Empire. If they scrap the EU or ignore continuity and produce new novels or comics or tv shows set int hat time period, no one will own that material day one which gives them a higher customer base.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Disregarding and not acknowledging isn't really the same thing. There's nothing in Children of the Jedi that needs to be acknowledged in the ST, or needs to be disregarded. It would be extremely difficult to render specific events in Children of the Jedi or The Crystal Star non-canon, you'd basically have to go out of your way to do it. (barring major things like Leia and Han's marriage and their kids, which aren't specific to CotJ or The Crystal Star, but carried over from other sources)

I think, for the sake of discussion, the assumption is that they should keep as much intact as possible, that some is better than nothing. That's just for the sake of discussion, though.

Personally, if the continuity disruption is more than minor, which it almost certainly will be, I'm done with the EU entirely.

Robimus likes this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I forgot about CotJ, include it in my desired Disney should not feel forced to follow list.

Anyways, I still honestly believe the new tv show is post RotJ and will, like TCW before it, take EU elements they like and run with their own original ideas. I do think some things will mostly stay intact but much of it will be reworked/reimagined. I do feel that quite a few characters will survive any EU cuts, even Marvel with its alternate universes often brings back old characters and they sell... I see no difference here. Yes many will I suspect be reinterpureted but their core character will remain or be close enough.

I like a lot of elements from books that are on my personal list of stuff Im fine with getting cut, and I will try out any new "EU" regardless of what gets cut. Just saying there is some stuff that has expended beyond the popularity levels any EU character should and as such I expect LFL will not fail to capitalize on many of these characters... maybe not all in episode VII but throw in a TV show and endless spinoff movies and the odds of us not getting them seems very unlikely to me.

jedimikey likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Filonis involvement hints a bit at Dark Times series because then Ahsoka and other characters they already have models for could be reused.
    Of course, suited Darth Vader and the Empire itself and so on is likely to also draw audiences.

12. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Yay for Allana and her pet nexu! Love that kid! It would be nice if she was the NG protagonist, but we'll see.

Did you know that R.A. Salvatore received death threats when fans blamed HIM for Chewie's death, back when VP was first released? Some fans really ARE crazy...

I pretty much agree with what you're saying here, Jones. D/LFL can, and should, incorporate EU elements into the ST, AND it would be a new story and a very good series of films. But, that doesn't mean they will, and in fact they probably won't. It all depends largely on what kind of treatment GL came up with, and what Arndt is willing to do.

Anyways...it's weird reading this thread when some of the posters are being "ignored"...it's disjointed. ;) LOL!

Robimus and Ryus like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was majorly unfortunate about R.A. Salvatore. I loved Vector Prime. Great book even with Chewie's death. I want another book in the SW universe from him.

Ryus and jedimikey like this.
  14. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Offer him a jelly baby...maybe that'll work.

Actually, maybe not...it's best to NOT feed the rancor.

Ryus likes this.
  15. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Me too, Smuggler, me too. But alas, it's not gonna happen. His life basically revolves around Drizzt, and the Demon Wars series.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And the backlash from Vector Prime. Though I'm surprised Salvatore was used for the AOTC novelization which came out 2 and a half years after Vector Prime. I must look into his other books as well.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, but what if the villain of the ST is Waru but he's actually a 4-foot tall vampire Jawa? How would you retcon Crystal Star into fitting into that?

18. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, you must, Smuggler! Start with either the Icewind Dale trilogy or the Homeland trilogy (AKA "the Legend of Drizzt").

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh joy. Another two things added to my buying list. I will look into them. Good to know where to start.

20. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    You have no idea how happy it makes me to get a fellow reader into the amazingness that is Drizzt Do'urden. Also, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into! :) These stories will make you laugh and cry, they will make your heart leap with joy, and they will break it. You will be awestruck by his fighting prowess, his loyalty to his friends, his altruism, his self-refllection....I could go on and on... :p

LOL! Don't get me wrong, either...Drizzt isn't an infallible Gary Stu...he makes plenty of mistakes, has plenty of self-doubt, etc...

But I should stop...the Forgotten Realms and Drizzt's place in it has nothing to do with the SW EU! :) :) :)

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol good to know. Sounds exciting. I like the sound of this character and series. Stories that make me laugh are a must. So I will get emotionally invested in these characters? Enjoy their triumphs and mourn and get emotionally devastated by their deaths? Works for me. I will look into this asap.

22. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, and yes. The fall of a certain barbarian comrade is particularly heartbreaking. You will enjoy these books, I promise. :)

I've wanted a Forgotten Realms film starring Drizzt and his friends for a long time now, but that's even less likely than a straight SW EU adaptation... ;) It could be done, but it'd have to be on a level with the LotR trilogy...and that kind of production value on what would basically be a Dungeons & Dragons series of films is just wishful thinking. Whereas a CGI animated adaptation of TTT is actually possible considering how much money D/LFL has to throw around. ;)

23. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    That wouldn't fit with the rumors/reports that Disney wants to shift the focus to the ST era, which they will have complete control over.
    amazing books or anything.

jedimikey - I think you are overselling the Drizz't books a little bit. I like most of them (some are just bad, the Homeland series was terrible) but they are the fantasy novel equilvant of GI Joe - dumb fun. Oh, and Drizz't is a total Gary Stu (I like him much better then Corran Horn, but still......he is). He didn't start out that way, but as time went on Salvatore just made him more and more invincible and greater and greater. He has ALL the aspects/trade marks of a Gary Stu. Still fun to read, but he is.

Did you know Wulfgar was orignally the main character of the Icewind Dale books and Drizz't only got added when Salvatore made up him during a meeting with an executive who was going to pass on the book because he didn't think Wulfgar was a good enough character to base a trilogy around?

24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Just cause someone is a Gary Stu in an EU book doesnt mean they have to be portrayed as one in the ST.

Plus Corran Horn in FotJ was more portrayed as a helpless father, with his kids being mind control victims... not so Gary Stu

jedimikey likes this.
  25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Kinda like you keep putting words in Bob Iger's mouth wouldn't you say?

You don't know that he doesn't care, he never said that to you. That is fenton speaking for Bob Iger, not Bob Iger speaking for Bob Iger.

CT-867-5309 and Ryus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.