main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    It's only a rumour, but it'd be a pretty neat coincidence.

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "Jason Court" is so formal. Most people call me "the Dude," or Your Dudeness," or "El Duderino"...

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Why do I get this feeling the reason that rumor started is because her last name is Solo. Like they went "Ok guys we need to make a Star Wars rumor. Hey this chick is last named Solo lets go say she's playing Han's daughter. Its brilliant!" :p

4. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    Yeah, I considered that. Shame on them if that's the case.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Hope Solo plays Han's daughter.

Gallandro and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Ksenia Solo would make a perfect Vestara Khai. Perfect. Not only is she bloody hot, but she is very diverse actress and quite nimble.

I could also see her as a Tahiri Veila as well.

But, I don't see her as a Jaina solo at all. Maybe an older Alana Solo however, but not Jaina.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm 99% certain this is the case. She might be perfectly suited for the role, or a terrible choice - I personally know nothing whatsoever about her except that her first name is very close to that of an alien in a comic I write - but it's pretty likely that the rumor-makers didn't look any farther than her last name.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    A new Hope.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    That calls for a bad pun on "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my Solo Hope", right?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  11. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
  12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wasn't this in a thread earlier that got locked?

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That website... something familiar... a presence I have not felt since...

I'm actually growing fond of their strange speculating. With a new trilogy we should have a new supershadow, I suppose...

Vthuil and ScorpionJedi like this.
  14. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    I don´t know, i didn´t wrote it, i just found it and i thought that the article fit with the title of this thread (EU and ST).

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I saw a picture of Vong, Dash Rednar (in all his N64 cutscene glory) and saw the words "Judi Dench Mon Mothma" and then erased it from my brain. At least, hopefully.

16. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    As a big fan of Kyle Katarn and the EU in general, particularly the post-RotJ EU...

...that is the dumbest fake outline. The mere mention of Dash and Kyle is enough to throw all credibility to the winds, let alone all of the other tripe involved.

17. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Frankly, I haven't read up on all 300 pages here, but my feeling is basically this:

Forcing the filmmakers to conform to the continuity of the post-ROTJ EU is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Ultimately, Star Wars is a film series that happens to have a sprawling expanded universe of novels that, in essence, are ancillary merchandise. I'm not saying that the books are crap or don't have any artistic value - I'm an admirer of the Thrawn Trilogy, for one. But it would be different if Star Wars was primarily a book series, like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, or Game of Thrones - then it's the filmmakers' job to conform as best they can to the books. In the case of Star Wars, the opposite is true. Now, I realize it's difficult for books written 20 years ago to somehow magically conform to what Michael Arndt and J.J. Abrams cook up in 2013, but well... that's just tough noogies. It's only because George Lucas didn't anticipate he'd ever actually do Episode VII that he allowed authors such free reign to pick up the narrative to begin with, and perhaps in retrospect that was a mistake.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    As an EU fan myself, that is about as objective as it can get, in my honest opinion.

19. Crankcase

Crankcase Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2012

He he. Sorry guys you're not getting another supershadow. :)
    The blog is mine and I'm just a fan like you. I just share my personal opinion on some of the articles. Nothing more. I always wanted to have something like a database for all news and rumors about the new trilogy. That's why I made the blog. It would be very funny in few years time when we go back and check through the archived posts and see what we've been going through. :)

20. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    ...ive only ever flicked through a few EU novels so I have no attatchment to them, it as you say, a film series! I disagree though that GL never anticipated ther ST, he did, but just never got to make them for a variety of reasons. There is evidence that he always had plans for them as he forbid the writers to kill the big three characters or the droids in the books - plus the fact it seems they had to keep 45 ABY and 104 ABY free. I also think its very very freaky that the big three are almost exactly the right age for that period. Whatever their role in the story, if he had made the ST in that timeframe say in 86 or 99....they would have needed to have had major make up.

21. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Well, Lucas' plans for a potential ST have always seemed to be extremely... fluid, shall we say? It's very difficult to ascertain with certainty what his intentions really were. My impression is that Lucas largely abandoned the idea of a ST when he condensed a lot of the story into ROTJ, and after ROTJ Lucas had no real desire to tackle the era (indeed, he didn't even want to do the PT for quite some time and only came around to the idea around 1993-94 - right when the EU was starting.) During and after the PT, Lucas always categorically denied the possibility of the ST, saying that its over when Anakin dies at Endor. I get the feeling that Lucas didn't seriously consider it until very, very recently - when the idea of selling the company came up.

Now, I know some people argue that Lucas' occasional vetoes of big things in the EU (like the plot of Dark Empire, Luke dying in Vector Prime, Anakin Solo) are proof that Lucas monitors what's going on in the EU and, therefore, everything that isn't vetoed has tacit approval from the big guy. I actually perceive this very differently. I think Lucas really, really never wanted to have to get involved in the EU; that's the licensing department's responsibility. He gave authors an unprecedented amount of free reign in that era (totally unlike the prequel era, which was strictly off-limits before the films came out) simply because he never really thought he'd end up doing VII, VIII, and IX. I think Lucas only stepped in when something was so offensive to him that he couldn't let it happen. That's very different from "Oh, everything else is great, just don't kill Luke." It's more like, "Kill off Luke?! What the hell are you guys doing over there?!" I'd bet good money if you gave Lucas a line-item list of "things that happen in the EU" very few would actually get his personal approval. The point being here, of course, that once Lucas came around to outlining the ST himself, he probably didn't feel very beholden to the EU, since that really wasn't his vision of things anyway. That's speculation of course, but I feel it's fairly plausible.

BigAl6ft6, aleja2 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  22. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I know what you're saying and I'd like to add to what you're saying. In 2011, The Clone Wars (which has ideas straight from Lucas, (which while I'm her let me say it wasn't Filoni who contradicted the EU in TCW but Lucas)) had a trilogy of episodes that featured the planet Mortis. Shortly after in 2011 and 2012, the Fate of the Jedi series ended with a quest for Mortis (an original Lucas idea). From most people I've heard, this was shoehorned straight from Lucas. So maybe that has something to do with the upcoming trilogy. This is also speculation, but I feel it's possible.

SionsBrother likes this.
  23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  24. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I also agree with you that he didn't seriously consider the ST until he had breakfast with Bob Iger in May of 2011 in Disney World. I think the rest of your speculation is fairly close to the reality of the situation.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    back in a 'making of Star Wars' documentary back in the 80's, I distinctly recall Mark Hamill saying about plans for a story after ep6...its always been there, just in the background...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.