main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    He just needed a better translator.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, it has been stated that lightsabers usually cauterize the wounds they make. This being the first time we see a lightsaber used on someone, I'm not sure George had thought of that yet.

EHT likes this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, Darth Maul also squirts a bit of a bloody mist when he is cut down. And Obi-Wan clearly has blood on him where he was jabbed by Dooku's saber in AotC.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I think I No Prized an explanation that some sentient's physiology doesn't cauterize their wounds. Same with Maul with the bloody burst that happens.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Does he? I always thought those were burns. The cauterizing thing was to keep Star Wars from getting too bloody, I believe. Anakin never bled from his wounds. Neither did Luke. But yeah, there are some exceptions.

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Hmm, looking at it again (oh, the convenience of YouTube) I think you're probably right. A bit hard to tell, though.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Pat Darksider

Pat Darksider Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2000
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    We all knew this would happen. Deep down, we did. There was no way post-ROTJ EU was going to survive the purge that is Episode 7. No way. In terms of the PT era: for now, yes, I suppose Disney does have no interest in that period. Reason being the ST and Rebels is more closely linked to the OT than the PT. I'm sure they'll delve into the pre-TPM period in time, and maybe the PT era itself.

Your Doomsayers post is unfounded.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The EU will basically become an alternate expanded universe, but what the directive to Hasbro says to me is Disney intends to use some of it's characters, but with altered names/storylines, therefore they want Hasbro to stop making the existing ones to avoid the inevitable confusion they would cause.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    No, the old EU is done everything from now on is canon, the purpose of the Story Group is to unify everything new.
    They've eliminated the Hierarchy, all future stories, Movie, TV, Netflix, Comics, and books will be in the same universe, and continuity.
    Their will be no more canon levels.

It will no longer be an expanded univese just the Star Wars Universe, under Disney.

Dra--- and Krueger like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The EU....like your franchise....is now mine!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    PT era has been the driving force of Star Wars since 1999. Not that I dislike it or anything, but I'm cool with focus on the ST/Rebels/some dipping into the OT. Mostly ST, though is what I'm looking forward to.

13. The Shrike

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, everything from now on is cannon, and they are deciding what characters/storylines from the EU are interesting enough to incorporate into the storyline going forward. Character names will be changed to avoid confusion with ones in the pre existing, but now defunct E.U.

newdawn12 likes this.
  14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Yep.....old EU is dead. Anybody wanna hold a funeral and say some nice touching words? Anybody?....ok

Anywho...here's hoping the new EU is good

Mange likes this.
  15. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    When they announced that the TCW bonus content was going on Netflix, it also said that they would be getting original Star Wars content in 2016

Ryus likes this.
  16. The Shrike

Oct 31, 2012
    I feel bad for the people who read most of the EU novels.

I only read them until what happened to Chewy, then gave up, which was pretty early on.

They're basically fan fiction now, but with much better writers.

Mange likes this.
  17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hope they at let honor names to some degree... like Jaina Solo becoming Nomi Jaina Solo (of course only referred to in full once, maybe even just written in Basic on her ID or something and fans translate it later and have there fangushing moment then), or the new Mara Jade once had that cover name but her real name is _______ and her and Luke still joke about how bad her cover name was when they first meet. Just throwing out some ideas of ways they could at least honor the EU characters if they choose not to use their names.

For the record, yes I've read most of the EU... I've wanted the plot of the EU burned to the ground for ages though, but have wanted key EU charcters to carry over into a new verse.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Now we're entering a new era.

these are the members of the Story Group
    who work with people from Movies, TV, books, Netflix, comics, and games.

Kiri Hart - Development Lead
    Carrie Beck - Director, Creative Content Strategy
    Diana Williams - Producer, Franchise Synergy
    Pablo Hidalgo - Brand Communications Manager
    Leland Chee - Keeper of the Holocron

19. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Do you guys think that the current EU books will stop getting published?

20. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    We'll see as we get closer to the new movies.

21. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Oh, you'd be amazed at how many people didn't know this would happen. I have had many arguments to that end over the past few months.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think the post ROTJ EU is going to be utterly decimated, I think there's a good chance that there will be many cherry-picked elements used to flesh out the world, if not be beholden to how they were used in the EU Exactly As Exactly As Their Wookipedia Article Describes Them Exactly. TCW used a lot of EU, it just didn't take it as gospel, but a source, which is what I think the ST will do.

As a wise Architect once said to his unknowing pawn:

[​IMG]

23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    They have to honor contracts already in place and deals already signed but yes, I think the current post-ROTJ EU will stop being published in its current form. I doubt they'll do much to KOTOR since there's really no need to make any changes there, but the post-ROTJ EU is in for a major overhaul.

Mange, Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  24. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I personally do not believe they will bother treading into the Old Republic 'Old Sith Wars' eras and whatnot, it would not do them well to retcon the KotOR series and SWTOR, BiOWare/Obsidian has tried very very hard to create a perfectly consistent timeline for back then, given that EA just got the decade long license, it's probably a good idea not to PO BiOWare considering how much work they could do in co-operation with the Story Group to set up New-Star Wars.

I reckon Pre-TPM is largely safe, with some elements being changed or dropped, I also don't believe that they'd be stupid enough to end TCW with one of the biggest retcons of all time: Korriban into Moriband, there is likely some confusion or something else going on.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Retcons! Retcons everywhere!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.