main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Official Sequel Trilogy - Let the Wild Speculation Begin!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 31, 2012.

1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
  2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Why tell Fisher and Hamill ahead of time? Did he tell Ford?

20-30 years post-ROTJ makes more sense if they want to have an obvious connection to the Saga.

But I can see descendants of Luke or Leia being the main characters.

As far as using the term "Episode VII", how could they not? They've got plans no doubt for offshoot films beyond the next trilogy but need the goodwill from the OT.

3. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    The skepticism is strong with this one. :)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I love the "if everything shakes out as intended. Which it will, I promise you" line. It reminds me of the Godfather making someone an offer he can't refuse.

"You see, Harrison, it'd be a real shame if you had an accident or something..."

5. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    What would be crazy frustrating is when 2015 comes and we sit down with our popcorn and drinks.

Theater goes dark.

LUCASFILM

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

STAR WARS

EPISODE X

Let that sink in.

He just skips right over the ST and jumps into the FT.

I think I'd just strangle myself. Right then.

7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    They look like hobbits next to Chewy!

8. Mantigrue

Mantigrue Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    This is how I see one possible plot for Episode 7:​
    STAR WARS​
    Episode VII​
    THE JEDI SEARCH​
    For almost forty years, the New Republic​
    has flourished under the strong leadership​
    of Princess Leia Organa. Now, reorganized​
    into the Galactic Alliance, it enjoys a period​
    of fragile peace.​
    Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker has established​
    a Jedi Academy where the new order of the​
    Jedi has been trained in the ways of the Force.​
    Luke, Leia and Han Solo have departured on​
    the perilous mission to the Outer Rim Territories​
    and they did not come back. It is up to Luke's son​
    Ben and Leia's daughter Jaina, two formidable​
    Jedi Knights, to find their parents...​
    We follow Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo and Lowbacca flying The Millennium Falcon into the Outer Rim. There, they find out Luke, Leia and Han are held captive by some unknown species, or some new warlord. Leia had a task to go on a diplomatic mission to their territory, accompanied by Luke and Han, but their ship, of the Imperial Star Destroyer class, was destroyed, and they were captured by the same species they were sent to establish diplomatic relationship with.​
    At about half of the movie, we see old Luke, Leia and Han for the first time, but not in their cells being freed by the children, but somewhere in the halls of the structure they are trying to escape. Jaina, Ben and Lowbacca are trying to free them, but they fall into a trap themselves and are being rescued afterwards by Luke, Leia and Han. This is the scene we see those old three for the first time and the audience should go crazy! A grand applause in the theater!​
    Next, they all successfully come back to Coruscant where Luke, being The Grand Master, informs the Jedi Council of the new threat rising in the Outer Rim, while Leia and other leaders of the Galactic Alliance decide what to do with this new threat. Soon, the invasion begins from the Outer Rim, and they must defend the Alliance. A great battle ensues at the end of the film! There we discover the new enemy is strong with the dark side of the Force, and threatens not only to conquer the Alliance, but to destroy all the Jedi as well. The film ends with clues that announce the next Episode.​

9. DarthCeltic

DarthCeltic Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2010

I think that is a good way to set it up.. but for it to be epic you have to have this new darkside member seduce one of the children.. history should repeat itself..

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The reveal of the original cast feels a little Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for me with the reveal of Marian. It could work if done better. I do like the idea of those going to save end up having to get saved themselves - it's a little 1930 movie serial with a dash of Star Wars Episode 2 - in other words, very Star Wars-esque.

11. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Hello all, First time poster who grew up w/ the OT. After visiting this site for over 10 years, I finally decided to register and have some constructive dialogue with fellow fans.

There are 2 facts here: 1- Disney bought out GL to make more $$$$ and Darth Vader is the most marketable character of the saga.

What I'd like to see in Ep7: Kamino was under orders to clone Palpitine along w/ Anakin in the event of their deaths. Anakin duels w/ Luke which sets up the rest of the trilogy AS fighting w/ Luck and Leia's offspring while Plapatine ressurects the fight between the New Republic and the Empire. I like this because of the clones and cloning theme of the PT and OT.

Whether I might be onto something or far out in left field, am certain we'll see the Darth Vader suit (Anakin or someone else in it) in the ST.

I also like the Darth Plagueis discussion in this thread.

Cheers, KH

12. Mantigrue

Mantigrue Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2012
    I don't think so...

Maybe Anakin, or Obi-Wan, or even Yoda as a spirit, but no Darth Vader.

And no more clones, please! I like them as well, but even Season 5 of The Clone Wars is too much for me... They should end that series and move on with the live-action TV series!

13. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I've only seen the movies and read the Thrawn trilogy.. haven't watched any of the cartoons so I cant say if TCW is saturaated or not w/ clones.

Cheers, K

14. Chief_Spirit_of_Evil

Chief_Spirit_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    I think the villain needs to be something very different from Palpatine. Not a guy who conjures some absurdly complex plan to rule the Galaxy. This time it needs an anarchist, with no real agenda other than to destroy and wreck havoc. He needs to be physically formidable to the point of being unbeatable. Tom Hardy's Bane in TDK Rises is kind of along the lines I'm thinking.

As for the story. You could go in a million directions with the characters, both original and old. But the central story needs to be about the New Generation shaping the future of the world. The old characters simply there to pass on what they have learned.
    So with that in mind, I'd have the new villain bring a challenge never seen before, a challenge beyond the original characters that the New Generation must face and overcome to ensure the survival of the New Republic.

Who these 'kids' will be is up for debate. Most likely and relevant idea is that they are Skywalkers/Solo's.
    But what really matters is the journey they go on and at some point they must go on it alone.

So, going into 'speculation/fanboy' mode'.
    I'd start the film with the 'President' or Chancellor of the Republic, Leia Organa, being assassinated by this new villain.
    This will give Harrison Ford something to play with. But it might be an event strong enough to get him out of the way for a bit (e.g, he disappears into the Galaxy a broken man), only to return later when needed)
    This new villain should have an army of 'Sith' trained soliders/mercenaries working for him (no more rule of two).
    At the same time, other lesser villains will be trying to get some of the power that is always up for grabs in situations such as these.
    So, with Luke's wise guidance, it's down to the new heroes to find out what is going on and put a stop to it.
    That's where I'd begin. With the Galaxy on a knife edge. A dangerous new villain unlike any from before. A death of a major and loved character.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In that picture they all look so awkward. You can tell Ewan is just thinking "Why am I here?". Pretty funny picture.

16. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I see what you did there :p
    Thrawn Trilogy FTW

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The trouble with bringing back Vader as a clone is that without the Anakin redemption arc, is he that interesting any more? I'd much rather see a new villain. Also, say for whatever reason they did bring him back and JEJ couldn't do the voice... I cannot stand the Chad Vader guy who does the voice for TFU and all the other spin offs. Just isn't Vader for me.

18. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    The main characters of the Original Trilogy were Luke, Han and Leia. The main character was never Anakin/Vader until the Prequel revisionism that said it was all about Anakin's story all along (funny, because I seem to remember Luke being the lead). If anything comes of this trilogy, it would be restoring the saga's focus to being perhaps the Skywalker family, with Luke as the ultimate hero of the saga (as is appropriate). Anakin would not have been redeemed if not for Luke. Similarly, Han and Leia need to stop being treated as afterthoughts within the greater universe. This trilogy could also help make that clearer that the original trio are the ultimate heroes that defeated the Empire.

One of the issues I had with the EU was the decentralized focus outside of the core cast that you find in most other fantasy/sci-fi dramas. The saga is not just a tale of fanboy-pleasing droid armies, space battles, x-wing pilots, a story for each background alien, bounty hunters, etc... It's the very human drama that is the point of the saga. If I had any advice for making this trilogy, it would be remembering that the biggest difference between the best of the Original Trilogy and the weakest aspects of the Prequel Trilogy was the far greater reliance on human actors and their chemistry in the former. There really are large swaths of the classic films that are carried entirely by the actors' performances and charisma on top of the family and budding relationship dramas. That's what made it work in the first place. That's what this trilogy needs to return to.

Yes, you need the fantasy/sci-fi set pieces and backdrop (hopefully with as many muppets and real locations as possible), but what Disney needs to be doing is making sure that the franchise returns to the feel of this long ago era of film-making, otherwise you're going to get the completely jolting juxtaposition between, say, the Indy trilogy with KotCS. It was one thing to completely change up the feel of the 'verse in the prequels (though it was a far too unlived-in as a universe and felt plastic and sanitized, despite all the technological wizardry--far too few malfunctioning pieces of junk), but dropping Luke, Han and Leia into something a bit too different from *their* world would, like KotCS, make them feel like they don't belong in this universe. A bit of rust and dirt, a talkier pace and more reliance on the actors acting (and really--this is your last chance to have Harrison, Carrie and Mark--why on Earth would you waste them and their chemistry?) would really help sell the feeling of the film. And if you need us to invest in a new generation of characters that will be taking on from them for many years to come, you need to focus on making us fall in love with them just as much as we loved Han, Luke and Leia. It's a balance.

And if Disney's smart, they'll be trying to prove to the audience that they're really serious about the scripts, direction and stories by trying to create something that will get critical acclaim as well as butts in seats. This sequel saga has something to prove again. Amazing visuals won't hide flaws, because people will be looking for them. The Empire Strikes Back should be looked at very closely for clues on how to bring back prestige and epicness. The director chosen needs to push all of our old favorites fearlessly (don't pick an old guard pal of theirs that they've known for decades--pick someone that will be willing to slaughter the script if needed like the Kershner/Ford ESB rewrites and someone who will try to get to the emotional truth of the characters and really think about what they're trying to achieve) to recapture what they had together and what made them iconic in the first place, even if they are decades older. Star Wars has something to prove again. It can't be lazy and looking for the easy buck. This is critical for the very survival of this franchise.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Just put in vader's ghost.

20. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
  21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Matthew Vaughn is a good fit. Brad Bird would be better (I still think the 1952 rumors still have life in them) though but Matthew is diverse and has shown adeptness with large casts.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What needs to be done with this movie is so blindingly obvious it doesn't even need to be stated. It should be the easiest home-run in cinema history. It is literally impossible to drop this ball!! We had the surprise hit/classic of the originals, we had the deeper, crazier Lucas vision with PT & TCW, now it's time to really invest in SW as a major global story for everyone and just do the obvious. Only over-thinking could possibly crash this project.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    May the Force protect us from Abrams/Lindelof. That would crash the whole thing right away.

No, I think it will obviously be Spielberg. "Trendy" doesn't go with SW, "classic" does.

24. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Man.... Seeing that pic of Chewie, Han, Lando and Obi Wan gets me so stoked to see them on-screen. Perhaps Harrison will get his wish and have a very heartbreaking dramatic moment where he sacrifices him and the Millenium Falcon to save others (allowing them to escape). That would be somethin

25. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Like it to take place 20 years after ROTJ.

Love to see a villain from the planet Kessel that is part of the criminal underworld of Star Wars. He could have force like powers by abusing Spice. Be great to see him wreck havoc after ingesting Spice. Maybe have him accuse the Supreme Chancellor Leia of practicing witch craft (force magic). He could blame the Jedi for the down fall of the old republic and empire and OUT Leia and Luke about them being brother and sister and related to Darth Vader. Pretty much get the public to start questioning Leia'S leadership in politics and bring back the idea that all Jedi are evil. But secretly he would use Spice to gain Jedi like powers, and search for amulets and such to bring him more power. Could have Luke try to stop him from finding a mcguffin like the Kyber Crystal or The Journal of the Whills.

Also love to see elderly Luke start questioning if he made the right choice to start training Jedi again, and constantly fearing that one of his students could turn to the dark side. Or maybe the flip side of that, where Luke never trains anyone because of his fear of the dark side, but then is forced to because of the situations going on in the movie.

Love to see remnants of the empire still around and make the main stars of the movie new and young people with Luke as the mentor. Have r2 and 3po passed down to younger gen too.