main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Hey, some of those freaking weird shows are pretty freaking good. Better than TCW was IMO.

2. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
  4. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I really like the Citadel arc it is one of my favorites, although the republic winning yet again did ruin it quite a bit, but still the CIS were quite threatening and Osi Sobeck was a brilliant villain. I also loved the look of the Citadel and the planet.

5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The planet ground my nerdgears.

Removing that much mass from a planet should not result in a big round planet with a huge chunk bitten out of it like a partially eaten apple.

Gravity should reconfigure the remaining mass into a smaller sphere around the new, displaced center of gravity.

But SW is actually in good company with this particular transgression. Multiple sci-fi franchises have done it. Including Trek, with that big chunk of about half of Praxis flying through space, looking a bit like Lola Sayu did.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    SRAW-ENOLC! SRAW-ENOLC!

Togruta likes this.
  7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Yeah, they seem to be somewhere inbetween Spongebob and toned down Adult Swim shows.

And Lola Sayu looked pretty cool. The Citadel arc has some fun moments. Poor Echo.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My kids always turn on CN if we stay in a hotel; we don't have it at home. Some of the shows are weird.

And I am so co-opting the expression "grinds my nerd gears".

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    CN was so much better in the 90's and early 2000's. Heck most cartoons were better back then.

podjazd likes this.
  10. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, and weird. Try watching Courage the Cowardly Dog or Ren and Stimpy.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, back then shows were weird but good. Now? Granted I don't watch any of CN's or Nick's lineups, but IDK. Maybe Adventure Time is as good as some 90s shows, but I haven't watched it recently.

Seerow likes this.
  12. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Praise from whom? If you're referring to your own praise, then that's perhaps accurate. Otherwise, that is inaccurate, even as a generalisation. It received great praise for its writing from numerous quarters.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Most of the comments I remember in the discussion threads were "omg it looked amazing" and there was plenty of criticism of the writing, which was typical TCW simplicity.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It seems the arc got some pretty good praise over all. Its mainly "Plan of Dissent" that's the exception.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/grade-the-episode-407-darkness-on-umbara.31965255/
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/grade-the-episode-408-the-general.31974986/
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/grade-the-episode-409-plan-of-dissent.31984891/
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/grade-the-episode-410-carnage-of-krell.31994667/

Speaking for myself,

Visually the Umbara arc was awesome, its amazing enough it could have been used to show off your HDTV's picture. I say "could have" because I feel Umbara has been largely superceded in the graphics department in season 5 and I'm sure some of the Bonus Material will knock my socks off again. But I personally feel that arc has more going for it and Matt Michnovetz was the writer on that one. In my opinion its one of the best in season 4 rivaled only by the Rako Hardeen arc and I think it still stands up to all but the final two arcs of season 5.

Umbara could definitely be stripped down to TCW's regular monster of the day formula that was used regularly throughout its run but it built more on top of telling a story about the horrors and pointlessness of war. Krell could be looked at as simple since he didn't seem much for strategy but that was on purpose. Krell needed to be a big meaning throwing clones into razor wire death in order to drive them far enough to disobey him. How many times did Anakin do just that yet because he respects them the clones go to it smiling? Krell fit into the story as an example of a Jedi gone cold and rogue as a result of the war. I mentioned in another thread recently how I thought they did a good job with Krell's visions which were his motives.

I can find flaws in that Rex feels slightly different in "The General" compared to the other three episodes but that's my main complaint.

Adventure Time is good once in a while and may be the only really deserving show in a while after going threw Chowder and Flapjack (dear Pete.). I loathe the "Amazing World of Gumball" which was actually pitched to Adult Swim originally, Courage the Cowardly Dog was weird but didn't rely on pure randomness as its only crutch. Ren and Stimpy is just what Spumco does, its still amazing looking back Nick aired that. You ever seen their Yogi Bear short "Boo Boo Runs Wild"? Without a doubt Joe Murray is the god of weird but good shows.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Krell was interesting. He was really, really full of himself, to the point where I wondered how he was allowed to remain a Jedi...but Anakin got to stay in the Order and unlike Anakin, Krell showed the Jedi Council at least a modicum of respect. As far as his attitude towards the clones, I think many more of the Jedi viewed them as inferior, they just weren't as blatant about it as Krell was and probably didn't go so far as to view them as subhuman.

I'm a little over the idea of "Jedi going psycho due to the war" (hellooo, Barriss Offee) so in my head-canon that was just Krell's personality all along. One of the few villains in TCW who seemed threatening.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I not sure Krell would have been like that all along seeing how he would have been one of those Younglings just like in 'that' arc brought up into the order. Perhaps Krell's high casualty rates as mentioned by Fives had something to do with it. They just numbed him and made him more cold. Then at some point after that Krell started having visions and it was an easy transition from cold general just trying to do his best and losing alot of men to cold general sending these men he sees as some kinda key to the destruction of the Jedi to their death.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I know how much you love Zahn characters, AF, and Jorus C'Baoth from Outbound Flight was pretty similar to Krell. Of course, he felt everyone was inferior to Jedi, but he was no more dark than Krell was, and was also seemingly not scrutinized by other Jedi.

But yeah, haughtiness and Jedi do not combine. [face_shame_on_you]

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah, must hold back another obscure Animorphs comparison.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had made that comparison in my mind as well.

I did find C'baoth far more interesting than Thrawn or Mara, maybe because I wasn't told I was supposed to like him.

20. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Actually I got tired of the look of Umbara and all its glowy purple plants. It was an OK arc, but another one that had more episodes than necessary.

21. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Umbara's length kind of culminated to deliver a strong impact at the end of the final episode. It honestly had felt like we had gone through that harrowing journey on an hostile world alongside those Clones. So yeah, I agree it could have been cut down an episode, but I also believe that doing so could of potentially blunted the emotional effect.

If we're talking an arc in which I'd like to see an episode cut out from, I'm going with Onderon. Front Runners felt entirely superficial.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the arc format was bad in general. Two episodes on the same storyline would be OK, but when the writers got locked into a three- or four-episode arc for every damn story...the stories suffered.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Krell was an absolute bastard. It was a joy to see him killed, cut down mid-sentence by the clones he had betrayed, the clones he had openly told (to their faces) that he considered them mass-produced, subhuman pieces of filth, the clones he was continuing to taunt.

I about jumped out of my chair. "Oh YEAH! Suck on that you SOB!"

I'd say it's about tied with Rex's kill of Agruss for the prize of "best feel-good kill."

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Fixed.
    [​IMG]

Togruta and Darth Valkyrus like this.
  25. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Each to their own, CT.

:)

Dark Lord Tarkas and CT-867-5309 like this.