main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    [​IMG]
    The Jedi Council sent Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Mandalore during the Mandalorian Civil War

Seerow likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I want to use all three of them as an avatar at once. x.x;

3. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    But I think all this Mandalore junk is really gonna work out. Think about it: Mandalore is in ruin, there is complete anarchy; Pre Vizsla, Maul, and Savage Oppress are all dead. Darth Sidious doesn't want 1,000 systems to follow this trend. He's aware of a group called the Mandalorian Protectors under the leadership of a clone deserter and all this goes with the previously-established EU from the Republic Commando series.

Seerow likes this.
  4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think this is going to play a part in sowing distrust for the Jedi in how Palpatine is able to convince the senate of the Jedi's treason in ROTS. The average person does not know the difference between a Jedi and a Sith. They know lightsaber equals Jedi. I don't they know a red lightsaber colors or anything like that. Then we have Obi-wan who is going to be in the middle of this in Mando armor. Pretty interesting stuff.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, and Satine is lame doesn't really like Obi-Wan's beard. :p

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Somebody likes red gemstones.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I love Qui-gon in that image, he looks epic there. I swear there needs to be an SW anime that takes place before TPM just so it can have Qui-gon in it. =b

8. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, it was during the Great Clan Wars, which followed the civil war. With the True Mandalorians out of their way, Death Watch moved against the New Mandalorians, and it was during the course of that conflict that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were assigned to protect Satine.

That's mostly new information, though, coming from the new Shadow Conspiracy novel. Prior to that, it was generally assumed to have been the Mandalorian Civil War they were referring to. However, the timeline didn't really add up, as the Battle of Galidraan (the destruction of the True Mandalorians and the end of the war) took place circa 44 BBY, but that was years before Obi-Wan had been taken as Qui-Gon's apprentice. So Jason Fry created a new, later conflict, as the most logical outcome of a Death Watch victory in the civil war.

Esg likes this.
  9. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    i know.. that one cameo from mortis isn't enough!

10. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Is The Clone Wars worth watching other than the fact that threw in Darth Maul to the storyline? From what it seems like, a lot of fans don't like it and it breaks canon.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You'll get a wide range of opinions on that one and it depends on what interests you. If throwing Darth Maul into the storyline is interesting to you, you might want to check out the last couple of episodes of season 4, the first episode of this season and the current episodes.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Speaking for myself. I think The Clone Wars is worth checking out. I wish I'd gotten into it earlier than I did. I had always heard bad things about the movies. Then I found a blu-ray sleeve with season 1 discs from Neflex in the house on day (ordered by someone else) and I was hood. TCW early on feels like a campy 90s cartoon with cool 3D animation and as it goes on it get progressively darker and sheds that skin. There were a few lighter episodes this season but Young Jedi seemed popular with most. There is alot of great stuff that came before Maul and although bringing him back is still lame, I feel its working out awesomely.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'd suggest checking it out and deciding for yourself.

Do many fans hate it? Yes.
    Do many fans like it? Yes.

Does it break canon? Short answer: sometimes. Again, sometimes it creates new canon. Some love it, some hate it, some are "meh."

14. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  15. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Any Star Wars fan on the fence should give it a go. I think a lot of people don't realise how perfectly the show captures the high-spirited adventurous quality of the OT, as well as the slow ensnaring of darkness seen in the PT. When it's at its best, I'd say the Clone Wars is some of the best Star Wars we've had.

InterestingLurker and cwustudent like this.
  16. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    EDIT: Sorry about the double post :confused:

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    And what would they do without bringing Maul back? I honestly don't think they could have come up with better storylines without him, because if it was a completely new villain, it'd be unlikely to be another Sith, they wouldn't be seeking revenge on Obi-Wan, or anyone for that matter, and Savage wouldn't have role like he does now, but hey, it's TCW, anything could be done and it'd be worth watching, so definitely check it out!

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Coming from someone who's read the vast majority of novels, comics, and obscure RPGs out there, I think the show has incorporated the EU far more than it has trashed it. It's major crime thus far has been killing a couple of characters who shouldn't be dead yet. Buuuuut.... I still think a clever EU writer could retcon those.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's a double-edged sword. They put in so many subtle nods to Expanded Universe material, while simultaneously tearing apart other material for the sake of writing their own narratives.

20. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I'd go watch some of the worst, and the best arcs/one offs and see if it's worth it to you.
    Then you can just skip whole arcs that don't fit in with your taste.

21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    You'd be surprised what creative things people can come up with if they actually just sit down and devote time to thinking about it. And that comes across as condescending, but I don't mean it to be. I mean, Barriss mentions that a clever EU writer could retcon deaths and chances are, if you have someone creative enough, they could - in a non-campy way.

Maul's resurrection came from Lucas and I feel like it was just fan service. Kind of like with Boba's appearance in AOTC, only instead of Maul appearing in a prequel installment to his death, they resurrected him and shoehorned him into TCW.

I mean if they were absolutely hell-bent on bringing another Sith into the picture, I'm sure there would be a number of ways it could be done. Many of them would probably be really really forced and bad, but someone creative enough could probably do it without the need of resurrecting Maul.

Off the top of my head:

• More than two Jedi escaped the Jedi purge and in the EU, Vitiate fled with ships filled with followers unknown to the Republic and resurfaced over 1,000 years later. If they wanted to, they could have played the angle that Darth Bane and the Jedi did not successfully kill every last Sith and maybe they went into hiding and were rebuilding their own Empire or it could have been that they settled another planet in a very similar manner to how Dark Jedi settled on Korriban, and Palpatine or the Jedi might become aware of a resurgent Empire built on Sith philosophy.
    • They could do something as simple as a Sith encased in carbonite waking up thousands of years later. Maybe he was a Jedi prisoner that was being transported in carbonite, the ship comes under attack, it loses life support, the crew dies and poor Sithy is adrift for thousands of years in a derelict ship for millennia.
    • A Jedi could have been studying forbidden teachings and proclaimed himself Sith leading the Jedi to believe that perhaps this Jedi is the Darth Sidious that Dooku spoke of and perhaps Palpatine allows that charade to go on because it serves his purposes of making the Jedi look responsible for the war while making the Jedi think that they've finally identified the second Sith.
    • They could have done something with the idea of Plagueis. Maybe he's not dead, or maybe he is but he trained a second apprentice (much like Tenebrous had) that surfaces to challenge Sidious and jeopardizes everything by having knowledge of what Plagueis' goal was.
    • A Sith spirit posession?
    That's like 5 ideas in 5 minutes. If someone actually sat down for even just an hour or two, I'm sure there are other ways it could have been done, or they could refine those ideas to make them more palatable and not look like they were so lazily thought up.

Maul coming back seems like a spur of the moment, lazy idea. IMO, they didn't need more Sith. They could have used Dark Jedi and "assassins" like Asajj Ventress or Jedi turncoats if they needed more lightsaber wielding baddies. And even if they absolutely had to have another Sith, there were other options, they just would have required more creativity than defaulting to Maul.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I like the contrast in Maul's refusal to give up his mortal being/vessel and Obi-Wan's complete acceptance in giving up his mortal self as he did in ANH. I think those two perfectly illustrate the difference between the Light and Dark side of the Force.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

While it technnicaly breaks canon as we are in yr5 of a 4 year clone war its still good fun.

Its the old fun adventure feel of the OT while the charachters (most of the time) work. The stories are varied. When they work they work really well, when the don't put simply they don't

What I like the most is that the Anakin Skywalker of the TCW show bears no resembelence to the whiner of the PT, so is kinda like the real Prequel to the OT. While I think and his relationship with Ahsoka by giving him a student actually works for me.

So yeah its not the greatest show on earth but it is good fun

24. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought the war was only 3 years? anyways, 1 season doesn't equal 1 year.

I enjoy the show. It has it's ups and downs, but over all I think it's been great and has added a lot to the Star Wars franchise.

25. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    22 BBY ended around early Season 1, then 21 BBY took from that point to around the Battle of Dathomir, and now we're in 20 BBY.