main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Boba_Fett_of_Nine, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    To discuss wrestling. Favorite wrestlers, how crappy WWE is right now, the older glory days, etc....

2. Q_of_the_Continuum

Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2003
    Well, all I know is Goldberg gets to be #30 at the Royal Rumble tonight. :)

3. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    Benoit won! From the rumors hes jumping to Raw, so I'm sure he'll be choosing to go after the Triple H World Title...

4. Q_of_the_Continuum

Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2003
    Yep, I watched RAW tonight and sure enough Benoit came out when Triple H and HBK were in the ring. I'm looking forward to this. Benoit is as tough as they come pound for pound. Wasn't he the first wrestler to enter the ring for the Royal Rumble last night?

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah - I was pretty psyched to see Benoit on Raw. Now I don't have to bother with Smackdown anymore. Benoit was the first to enter the Rumble. The only other person to do that and win was Shawn Michaels. I hope he doesn't get buried like every other guy that HHH beats. I think Benoit is long overdue for a title. It was great to hear the crowd chanting his name. I was worried he might not get a great reception.

6. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I had a great time at the Mid-Atlantic Legends Convention last weekend. Got to meet many of my childhood heroes including several of the original Horsemen. I had pictures taken with several of the guys and hopefully I'll get those back this week. Almost all of the wrestlers were complete gentlemen and seemed genuinely glad at the turnout for the event which ended up much larger than anticipated. The downside was that led to long lines and crowded rooms, but other than that, it was great fun!

7. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I uploaded a few of my Mid-Atlantic Legends Convention photos into my Yahoo! photo album. Unfortunately, most of my pictures did not turn out well. I could tell the battery in my camera was struggling whenever the film advanced, so most pictures that I took from any sort of distance ended up way too dark. Most upsetting is I had a picture with Dory Funk Jr. that I took in a big glass sunroom. Unfortunately it ended up as two silohuettes (sp?) against a bright background. I am really bummed that picture didn't turn out. Anyway, you can check out a few in my album. Also, my old Celebration II pictures are in there too, so if you haven't seen those, you can check those out also.

http://photos.yahoo.com/flair4thegold.geo

8. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    so, how was Buddy Landell. I heard that he got kicked out because of being a dip.

Long live V.1. The only man to give Zach Gowen a clean win on national TV, thereby burying him further than any other wreslter in history. We'll miss you funny man

9. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    He was definitely a dip. He stayed drunk most of the time. He was asked to leave the autograph area by the promoter because the rest of the wrestlers were sick of his crap. Unfortunately he did that literally as I was setting my program down to be signed. He was pretty crude to some guests and their wives and walked out on a bar tab at the hotel. Some other stuff went on also involving thrown beer bottles, a trip to his room with a couple of women and a video camera (and neither of those women were his wife), and the authorities before it was all done. He really made an @ss of himself.

10. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    That's so sad. He was even saying the Rock stole the People's Elbow from him. He had nothing good to say about anyone. Check out www.getinthering.tv for an interview they did with him before the alcohol.

11. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Apparently Landel had a problem with Arn for something Arn said about him in his book. It's been several years since I've read that book, so I can't remember what he said. Either way, it amazes me how long some of these wrestlers hold grudges and the reasons for it.

12. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Brock Lesnar to Quit WWE after WM

According to PWInsider, he had a long talk with Vince and then, before the weekly SD meeting, he announced that he was burnt out from everything involved in wrestling and that it's no longer for him, so he's quitting the business and, get this, going to try out for the NFL.

Wow. Smackdown definitely needs to acquire Edge now and then at least another name heel. That's a huge blow to their roster considering their recent loss of Benoit also.

13. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    Edge is not coming back heel. Trips wants to take a run at someone with some credibility, while HBK and Benoit re-enact the Montreal Screwjob in Edmonton next month.

14. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Screw HHH. The entire balance of two shows just became completely out of whack. If Edge is put on Raw just to make HHH look good, then an entire half of the WWE locker room will flip out and Vinnie Mac will be shown to be totally out of touch with his company's needs. They either need to send Edge to SD (not as a heel, I meant they need Edge and at least one name heel to replace Benoit and Lesnar) or either ship over RVD perhaps. There's a huge void there now and Big Slow ain't fillin' it, no matter how big he is. The thing that sucks about sending people like RVD, Booker T, or Steiner over to SD is that they've all been squashed by HHH. If they go to SD and suddenly becomes big players over there, it reflects poorly on the entire SD roster because it looks like wrestlers that couldn't win anything on Raw can win on SD.

15. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    PRO WRESTLERS FIGHT FOR A CURE

A fundraising event will be held on Sat. May 1 in Greenville to benefit the American Cancer Society. The card is being presented by Just Cause Pro Wrestling and will feature 6 action-packed matches.

The bill is highlighted by NWA Wrestling Legends "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton, George South and former WCW Star, David Flair. Eaton will take on WWE prospect "Bad" Brad Hunter in the main event.

Advanced tickets are on sale now, Wednesday-Sunday after 5:00pm, at Wings Over Greenville (Harris Teeter Shopping Center) and are just $8 for adults and $4 for kids 12 and under. Tickets will be available at the door for slightly more. Doors will open at 7:00pm, with the bell time set for 7:30pm at the Pitt County Fair Grounds on US HWY 264. A free show will be held at noon on May 1 at the Fair Grounds with three matches open to the public.

For more info, call 252.327.8835 or visit www.jcpw4hope.com All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society.

More detail forthcoming! Tickets are on sale NOW. Buy early and save.

16. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    Thanks for posting this Dal, I havd forgotten about it. We know the guy who runs it ;)

17. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    So is Mark still part of the UWC? Is the UWC still around? I rarely hear of them running shows anymore.

18. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Saturday and Sunday, August 14-15, 2004
    Fayetteville, North Carolina

Rarely do we have an opportunity to meet our childhood heroes, to come face to
    face with legends and icons. This past January, more than 1,000 diehard
    wrestling fans from 38 states, Canada and Japan converged on Charlotte, North
    Carolina for the first-ever Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Legends Convention and
    Fanfest.

Never before had there been an opportunity to see so many legendary heroes and
    villains from the old Mid-Atlantic territory in one place. More than 40
    wrestling greats from that era came together in Charlotte on Super Bowl weekend
    2004 to meet fans and friends, and reminisce about the days when wrestling was
    wrestling, not sports entertainment.

Technically, Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling came to an end in the
    mid-1980's. The National Wrestling Alliance, with many of those same
    Mid-Atlantic stars and some new faces, continued to build on the rich tradition
    in the Carolinas throughout the latter part of the decade and into the
    early-1990's. New stars continued to develop and legends grew.

To honor the stars of the late-80's and early-90's -- the ones that may not be
    old enough and may not exactly qualify as a "Mid-Atlantic" legend -- is the
    reason for our second gathering: The NWA Wrestling Legends Fanfest.

Later this Summer, more than three dozen former NWA wrestling superstars -- like
    Sting, Cactus Jack, members of the Four Horsemen and The Rock-n-Roll Express --
    will gather in Fayetteville, North Carolina for a very special event. Some of
    the greatest names associated with the National Wrestling Alliance and Jim
    Crockett Promotions will be there, not only to renew old friendships (and
    rivalries), but to meet and greet and talk over old times with their fans.

Old-school wrestling fans have longed for the opportunity to meet, chat with and
    get autographs from the legendary performers from their childhood. These dreams
    will soon become a reality for some. The two-day NWA Wrestling Legends Fanfest
    takes place at the Clarion Hotel on Saturday and Sunday, August 14-15 and will
    feature autograph signings with each of the wrestling legends. The convention
    hall will echo with the sights and sounds of the good ol' days. Many interactive
    events have been planned. Fans will watch as the legendary TV voice of
    Mid-Atlantic and NWA Pro Wrestling, Bob Caudle, will emcee the weekend's
    festivities. For fans and enthusiasts, it will be a wonderful and special
    opportunity to celebrate a great era in wrestling history.

There will be an exhibit hall with dealers from all over the United States
    offering all sorts of wrestling-related memorabilia. Independent wrestling
    promoters will be there to showcase some of today's hottest wrestling stars.
    Hourly door prizes will be given away throughout the weekend, and two lucky fans
    will "Win Lunch with a Legend!" How cool is that?

VIP ticketholders will have special access to the event, including exclusive
    "Question & Answer" sessions on Saturday evening. One of the original Four
    Horsemen, Tully Blanchard, will take center stage and, for two hours, will take
    questions from fans, share tales from the road, and who knows what else will
    happen in this no-holds-barred exchange, hosted by wrestling magazine guru Bill
    Apter. A late-night Q&A with another featured guest will be announced soon.

Don?t miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of a truly special
    weekend in the heart of the greatest wrestling territory ever!

For more information or to purchase advance tickets, please visit
    http://www.NWALegends.com

19. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    UWC is still around. Mark and Donny had a "disagreement" and split up. Donnie still runs UWC and they're pretty much back on almost every month. I no longer work with them so that's pretty much all I know. As far as I know, the show with David Flair and Eaton is Mark's show..

20. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I talked to West the other day and he said Donnie was getting kind of bad about not paying his workers. He said he hasn't worked with him for quite a while because of that. I wanted to go to the show last weekend, but couldn't make it. West was working the show and was gonna get me in free and get me backstage to meet Eaton. I had this cool promotional 8x10 of the Midnight Express I wanted him to sign. I hate I couldn't go. But I did end up producing the commercial for it that ran during Raw and Smackdown the last couple of weeks. It was kind of a rush job so it didn't look as good as I would've liked, but it got the job done.

21. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    there is never a reason to not pay your workers. ever. Even if they stink the places up, you still pay them something.

I was just asked to do a wrestling bit on an upcoming secret internet radio show that can't be mentioned yet. I'm stoked. Whoooooooooo. Always wanted to do one.

22. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    Plus, I am also doing an interview with the Stro (formerly Maestro and Georgous George III of WCW) about fight choreography for the audio show. Let me know if you have an fight type questions. We're recording Saturday at 9am

23. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    man that guy is nice. I met him a couple of years ago at a UWC show. he came up to jason and I who were working the doors/consession stand and introduced himself and was suuuper nice. great Dusty Rhodes impression. Get him to do that...*if he weeel*

24. cinemafreak

May 13, 2002
    yes he did. He was a helluva guy, and I am looking forward to working with him in the future on a top secret project. We took him to lunch and had an amazing time. I even have a great pic of him flexing with Ron and Janine.

25. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.