main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Old Trilogy and New Trilogy Oddities

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by theSonofsKYwaLkER, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theSonofsKYwaLkER

theSonofsKYwaLkER Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2003
    I've become such an intense Star Wars fan that I see everything in every movie, including things that don't fit together.

ANH---Owen doesn't recognize 3-PO: This bugs me because yes, it has been a long time since Owen last saw Threepio, but come on...who can forget such an annoying droid!?

ANH---Obi-Wan says Stormtroopers are accurate shooters, yet can't shoot worth a crap at anyone, and Clonetroopers are good shots in comparison to droids....

ANH---Obi-Wan says Tuskens aren't good shooters, yet they shot Anakin's pod twice, captured a grown woman, and killed 26 men? Doesn't seem right to me.

Has anyone else seen anything that doesn't match the new trilogy? These things just bug me. HA HA.

2. Darth_Malt

Darth_Malt Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Sorry, but explain more. Maybe connect this in with the prequel trilogy.

3. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    ANH---Owen doesn't recognize 3-PO: This bugs me because yes, it has been a long time since Owen last saw Threepio, but come on...who can forget such an annoying droid!?

C-3PO has different coverings in ANH. Also droids are generally regarded as appliances in the GFFA. Would you remember a TV set you had 20 years ago, if you saw it today? Maybe, maybe not. Especially if it was modified and changed.

Also, Owen might be lying about not remembering 3PO. He seems adamant about having the droids memories wiped. Perhaps he does remember 3PO and who built him... maybe he doesn't want those old memories stirred up and have the droid tell Luke something he's not supposed to.

ANH---Obi-Wan says Stormtroopers are accurate shooters, yet can't shoot worth a crap at anyone, and Clonetroopers are good shots in comparison to droids....

Stormtroopers are supposed to be deadly, but not when shooting at the main characters of the story, or you'd have Luke crippled or dead by the first half of ANH... would you really want them that deadly?
    Clone troopers seem more effecient, because we've only seen them in action as the good guys.

ANH---Obi-Wan says Tuskens aren't good shooters, yet they shot Anakin's pod twice, captured a grown woman, and killed 26 men? Doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, they shot Anakin's pod, but what were they aiming at? Anakin, or the pod?

I don't know how capturing a grown woman makes you a good shot. And we don't know how they killed those 26 men, who weren't warriors, but most likely neighboring farmers of the Larses.

The Tuskens are like animals, ferocious and anyone who can't put up a half-decent fight is doomed.

4. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003

There are a lot of droids that look the exact same as 3p0. Like the one at the beggining of TPM. Right behind 3p0 at the beggining of ANH. And the one that says "Echuta" in ESB. I'm sure there are a few more I can't think of right now. One is the same as the other. Plus C-3P0 has changed quite a bit since the last time Owen has seen him.

They have strenght in numbers, to kill 26 men. Plus I believe they set up some sort of trap. Who couldn't capture Shimi. And he didn't say they were really bad shots, he stated that they were less accurate than stormtroopers.

This is all I have to say.

5. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    One oddity I've noticed is...

the tombstones in the funeral scene in Ep. II. They're no where to be seen in Ep. IV. Where'd they go?

6. The_Moog

The_Moog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    The thing about the shooting is easy to explain. Obi-Wan says the blast points are "too accurate for sandpeople" and "only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise". The words he uses, "accurate" and "precise", are referring to the fact that the stormtroopers knew exactly where to shoot the sandcrawler's tracks to efficiently disable the vehicle. It's not about their ability to hit a small, fast-moving target (especially as a sandcrawler is neither of those things). So the stormtroopers' lesser ability (as seen through all the OT films), and the sandpeople's apparent greater ability (as seen in The Phantom Menace) does make sense.

7. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    ^^This guy knows what he's talking about.^^

People really need to get into the habit of reading novelazations and many of these discrepencies will dissapear. (though many more appear to arise ;))OB1 states very clearly in the ANH novel that he is referring to the efficiency.

"Look at the precision with which the fire power was applied. Sandpeople aren't this accurate. In fact, no one on Tatooine fires and destroys with this kind of efficiency....Only Imperial troops would mount an attack on a sand crawler with this cold accuracy."

8. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Its what the big man up stairs wanted he wrote the story he can decide to leave plot holes....

9. RahrKast

RahrKast Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    I would go the other way. I would say that, for 5 such immense, long,and epic movies, it is incredible how FEW mistakes of this kind are in there.

10. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    "I would go the other way. I would say that, for 5 such immense, long,and epic movies, it is incredible how FEW mistakes of this kind are in there. "

What can I say? People have high standards. Sometimes those high standards are without merrit... but other times they are.

11. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Part of the problem is that these movies get watched constantly. When you've seen the scene twenty gazillion times, you pick up on small things.

Whereas many other movies have many more errors, but because they don't command such a huge, devoted following the mistakes don't get noticed.

12. RahrKast

RahrKast Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    You're absolutely right! That's the same with me. For example, the thing about Shmi's tombstone that was mentioned before... I also noticed that the first time I saw AOTC. Did George Lucas or MC Callum ever comment on that?

13. darthdiggler75

darthdiggler75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    I just want to know how Obi-Wans braid moved from the right side of his head to the left side of his head for one scene in TPM ????

14. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I just want to know how Obi-Wans braid moved from the right side of his head to the left side of his head for one scene in TPM ????

I'm not sure which scene you're talking about, but I've heard of this before. Sometimes GL will "flip" the image because it looks better - thus it appears that the braid is on the wrong side. I think the same happened with Anakin's braid in AOTC.

15. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    With MyEternalRest I agree. And while we're on the subject of "novel" explanations:

"And we don't know how they killed those 26 men, who weren't warriors, but most likely neighboring farmers of the Larses."

The AOTC novel says something about the Tuscans stretching a wire across the path of the bikes, beheading many of the 26. This was also how Cliegg lost his leg.

16. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    What Obi wan says in ANH is not referring to blaster accuracy but the accuracy of the crippling destruction wrought upon the Jawas. Not a single jawa was alive and they made sure to cripple the sandcrawler.

Obi wan was stating that only Imperial troops would go out of their way to do so much damage. Sand people would not have done as much.

Obi wan said "too accurate for sand people only imperial troops are so precise"

He wasn't talking about marksmenship.

17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Between ep2&4 3po turned form rusty gray to polished gold. I dont think I would regonize him at all. It kinda when you see a relative when your yound then see them in about 15 or 20 later they dont even regonize you.

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Anyone who expects every single plot hole and inconsistency between the two trilogies to be explained is unrealistic. Not everything is meant to be explained...

And since when does capturing a woman and killing twenty-six men become credibility to argue that someone is a "good shooter"? I doubt the Tusken Raiders captured Shmi by sniping her from 200 yards away with a tranquilizer/stun rifle. I also doubt very seriously that they sat up in the rocks, waiting for a search party, and sniped out twenty six men riding swoop bikes and speeders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.