main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

One year later - How many stars do you give AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by YodaJeff, May 15, 2003.

?

One year later - How many stars do you give AOTC?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 5 stars

255 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. 4 stars

127 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. 3 stars

48 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. 2 stars

37 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. 1 star

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Still 5/5

Together with ESB the only flawless Star Wars movie (imo)

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    What I can't understand is users opinions of the movie are asked for, but if you have anything negative to say, your automatically attacked.(no pun intended)

I can't agree with it being that one-sided, BobaFrank. People have also been attacked for expressing enjoyment for the film in equal measure, just a brief skim through this thread will show that.

Of course, it's disappointing that that happens both ways. But there you go, that's human beings for you. If someone thinks one thing, you can bet that someone else out there will think the complete opposite, and some people just like to put it a bit more forcefully than others.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    For me, it's hard to sit back when someone says AOTC is a perfect movie or flawless. I'm not trying to zero anyone out by that, because I see alot of people say it. To me AOTC is tremendously flawed. Believe me, I wish I could love it like other people, but while disagreeing with them, I respect they're views and hope they respect mine.

What's funny is I was on the othere side of the debate when TPM came out. :D I don't think that TPM is flawless but I just enjoyed it better.

4. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    There are only 4 stars when talking about movies, you wierdos!

ANH > ROTJ > AOTC > ESB (I'll have to agree w/ Adam on this, it's overrated) > TPM

Keep in mind, these are all very good.

ANH = 4 Stars/100%

ROTJ = 4 Stars/100%

AOTC = 3 1/2 Stars/87.5%

ESB = 3 1/2 Stars/87.5%

TPM = 3 Stars/75%

-KNick

5. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Be careful Jedi_kNick.

As far as ESB being overrated I couldn't disagree more with either of you.

6. NotPadme

NotPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2004
    something I'm picking up straight from my own Message Board, since we're having the same discussion there :

a guy wrote : "I think the problem with Star Wars is that George Lucas managed to make (though not direct them all) three really good films (well, ROTJ was okay) on relatively low budgets and now that he has a massive budgets is making films that just aren't as good. Crap films I can live with, but the prequels (in particular the scripts and production design) are a waste of an amazing idea.

People may be a bit harsh, but the fact is that these films are very frustrating. It's hard to ignore something when you're already a fan of it, I guess.

To which I replied : I agree to the a "managed to make three really good films (well, ROTJ was okay) on relatively low budgets " thing, but not entirely on the rest.

Maybe he's too busty experimenting new stuff to care about a good script, or maybe he's desperately trying to please th fanboys (who will never be happy anyway) giving out bags of tech stuff.

i don't know. I quite enjoyed the prequels (and not only because Hayden was in there [face_laugh] ) though I must say that I missed the wit of the OT, because too much space was given to duels, battles and all. This is the problem IMHO. When you don't have much money and you know that a space battle scene will cost money and time, you tend to do something quick and effective, without losing time and money in style effects, and therefore you will give more space to character developement and good dialogue.

But since for many SW is now sinonym of "huge space battles" he must please his audience... you see what I mean? i think he's got trapped in his own machine.

I am quite happy with the Prequel Trilogy though. And I really feel that we will never watch the OT in the same way after seeing Ep III.

This more or less resume my view on Star Wars productions so far :)

7. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    I give it 2 1/2 stars.

Mandatory one point deduction for Portman's acting.

Mandatory one point deduction for the flawed and excruciating romance.

1/2 point deduction for over-reliance on CGI.

8. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I give it 5 stars! :)

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I give it 3,234 stars.

250 for Portman's acting, and 500 for the realistic and believable romantic story, and 1000 for Jake Lloyd's portral in TPM, even though he wasn't in AOTC (you could see his performance in Hayden's delivery).

10. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    Five stars. AOTC is still my favorite Star Wars movie although TPM is pretty damn good, too.

11. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Will there be a third poll? :)

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Perhaps if they do a third poll, they could try just doing a "Do you like AOTC?" poll, to mirror the TPM one. Just "Yes", "No", and "Mixed bag".

13. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "Sounds like you didnt watch AOTC or at least you watched it but are pretending that it doesn't fit into the saga and has these "problems" with continuity, just so you can keep up your bashing."

What a ridiculous comment Tee-Sin_Quay. Did you really type this with a straight face?

14. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Everybody is always ready to complain about something, bashing the movies, the script, the director, the actors and whatever. If you really think you can do better, what are you doing in front of a computer? You should be in the director's chair, directing the best movie ever produced."

If you go to a resturant, your favorite resturant infact, and you order a meal, and it taste like poop, and the service is terrible, and the dishes have dirt on them, you would complain, right?

And if you did, would that automatically mean you should be able to run the greatest resturant in the world and cool the finnest cusines ever served?

Of course not. You should follow one of the many terrible lines in AOTC: "We live in a real world, come back to it"

"There is validity in DarthDuckie's argument about what he calls the "grittiness" of live-action over CGI. I describe it as the difference between something that the actor 'could reach out and touch', compared to something he 'could ALMOST reach out and touch'"

exactly, I like to put it this way:

Animation is like slaughering cattle. Shooting live action is like Hunting wild animals.

15. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    RS, could you explain that one more? Don't really get it. :)

16. Darth-Kyp

Darth-Kyp Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2004
    I give it 4 stars. Got to minus 1 because of Hayden's acting. He was way to whiny.

17. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    it's a sw movie....I give it 5 stars

18. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "RS, could you explain that one more? Don't really get it."

Sure, its an odd medifore given that I'm a vegatarian, but I'll try and clarify.

With animation you are creating, its like painting, in theory anything you want to be their can be their. Everythings set up and adjustable, not that it doesn't take immense talent, because it does, but everything is subject to change and alteration which gives it a bit less natural energy and spontenaity. A stormtrooper would never bump his head in animation, unless it was planned, but then its not really the same thing anymore is it.

With photography you have to capture the images. They're out their in real life, and might only exist for a fraction of a second, so its like hunting in that there is a raw energy which comes from the director having catch the footage they are looking for.

19. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    It has a few minor flaws but overall I'd say it was excellent 4 out of 5

20. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Replace Portman with Keira Knightly

Replace Lucas with Ang Lee.

Replace blue screen with live action.

Replace romance with gratuitous jar jar execution scene.

A recipe for success!

21. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Thanks Rebel Scumb. I won't say I agree, but you explained that well enough so I also won't disagree. :)

22. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I'd give it three stars out of four. Very good and entertaining film, but not excellent.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    After two years and several viewings to reflect, I
    give it *** 1/2 stars. (This is in the context of
    a Star Wars movie, to which I hold higher standards
    than any other films) Every one of the OT films I
    give **** and to TPM I give ** 1/2.

24. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    AAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL OF YOU! Star Wars.

If AOTC was a general it would be the first five star ha ha ha ha.

25. obi_wanmeister

obi_wanmeister Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    The more I watched AOTC, the more I did not enjoy it. Not that I saw it multiple times successively, I gave about a month or two breather in between.

The acting really got me.

Most of the time you can see right through Hayden Christensen and see george lucas talking in an interview about how "dark" he wanted episode II to be.
    (His political chat with Padme on Naboo, that particular seen was quite hokey; and his mawkish diatribe that followed the death of his mother.)

But, nonetheless, it had its good moments (Palpatines ascent to Chancellor; and the initial plans for the Death Star.)

3 1/2 stars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.