main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Operation Overlord

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Jango10, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Hill "overlooking" battlefield, Rommel & etourage observing 12th SS Panzer on attack. 7th June 1944

There was a lot of smoke, and not a few armored vehicles streaming forward. There were several crossing points where the river was shallow enough for the Panzers to ford. Other armored vehicles; halftracks laden with the child-grenadiers of the 12ths mounted infantry, SP guns taking up firing positions, and Opels and tractors hauling heavy weapons could be seen.
    Forward of this stream, there was a a British Artillery barrage on the Main line of advance of the panzers. he could spy a few dug in English tanks, as well as AT guns dug in to hinder the advance. The heavier German tanks, the Tigers and Panthers were having a slightly better time of it. But every time there was an artillery barrage, the Tigers and Panthers would have to make for the nearest trees or building so as to protect their tracks from shrapnel.
    The British had been ready, apparently.
    They had seemingly planned defense in depth, something that the British army was loathe to do. But it seems that they had anticipated this attack and had prepared for it.
    Rommel missed the desert even more, maneuver here was terrible. THe bocage and the hills made great sweeping maneuvers impossible. It would be all down to firepower and who had the most nerves.
    His men had set up the defensive perimeter and stood nervously by.
    "12th SS reports that they have encountered Dug in British Infantry and tanks. Preliminary Intelligence indicates that the tanks are of the British 7th Armored Division. The Desert Rats."
    The Desert Rats!
    Perhaps it was more like the desert than Rommel had assumed.
    Rommel was soured. How did they get so many tanks ashore so quickly? The Allies had no harbors to bring ashore heavy weapons. Right?
    "Grenadiers are encountering tough resistance from the enemy dug into the Bocage. Enemy Artillery is accurate and continuous. All from land-based batteries, though. The Roal Navy has not begun firing yet, and thankfully the enemy air force has not arrived yet either."
    The signals officer drew on a map.
    "we've achieved a penetration here..." He indicated a salient about a hundred yards deep, reaching for the main road which was another 75 yards away.
    "But massed artillery and dug in tanks have bogged the attack. They're attempting to retire and flank. That will take time."
    He then indicated some hedged fields south of the salient.
    "Grenadiers attacked through here. Dug in British Infantry halted them with heavy casualties, They're holding, and are requesting artillery. 12th SS panzers commander is trying to find it for them."
    A mortar round thumped onto the grassy hillside nearby. A trickle of dirt rain came down, bouncing off Rommel's cap and desert goggles. Somebody saw them. IT was time to issue orders and perhaps move to a new position.

TAG: Cmdrmitthrawnuruodo

OOC: 12th SS panzer as attacing from the falnk, north of St. Aubin. 21st Panzer is making a "pinning" attack straight on against St. Aubin Should've Clarified, sorry.

St. Aubin-Arquenay. Lieutenant Staples (and all other British Soldiers present at St. Aubin)

The Tank ground forward, it's peculiar mix of roaring bass engine and squeaking sporano gears and bogey wheels was quite terrifying. The Heavily armed Panzergreandiers around it barely less so, They clung near the tank, watching carefully for any sign of the enemy, like worker bees protecting their massive queen.
    He felt the Bazooka tube shift slightly as the loader slammed the rocket into the breech of the launcher and then tapped Staples atop his head.
    The panzer, a Mark IV he saw, came to a small dip in the approach. It shifted down and bellowed as it powered up to cross the lip of the depression.
    Then the vickers Heavy MG and the Bren guns opened up and the Enemy infantry went to ground. They began firing back, and the turret of the Panzer IV began to turn, lending it's turret MG to the fray.
    Staples then stood up while all were distracted and pressed the trigger. there was a Whoosh and the rocket streake

2. TheTatooineRexTrader

TheTatooineRexTrader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2006
    Lieutenant Staples, St. Aubin-Arquenay

I grabbed my loader and pushed him forward. I struggled to my feet and pelted it as fast as I could run from the corner of that house. An explosion rocked the ground and threw us to the ground. The American bazooka flew from under my arm. Out of reflex, I screamed. But I forgot I was using the more reliable American anti-tank gun. The bazooka hit the dirt and rolled away. If that had been a PIAT, me and my friend would be smokey pieces of flesh by now. I got up, picked up the gun, and kept running, trusting the loader would follow.

TAG: Deiskrad maybe, whoever controls Germans

3. masterjedi343

masterjedi343 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 26, 2005
    ::Billy glanced around after the barrage had lifted,and picked up his head glancing around.He rolled out of the bush and shouldered his rifel and looked went for a the pack of cigs,but they had fallen when Billy rolled into the bush.he shrugged and looked at miller. "what the hell was that about?"

tagged:Miller

4. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    IC: PrivateFirstClass Miller

Miller lifted himself and glace at the the Squad to see if they were ok then saw billy serching for his cigs he dropped "what the hell was that about?" Miller herd billy in fornt of him but was dizzy and feeling light-headed. "I dont know but...****." Miller notice a large woulnd on his left leg casue by shrapnel from the barrage."*damn it im hit bad.. MEDIC!!!!"

TAG:billy, anyone

5. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    7 June 1944, Mixed Ameircan Unit, South of Utah beach.

Billy looked over at Miler. A chunk of meat was missing from Miller's Leg. It was bleeding like a leaky bucket. The medic came ove over, staying low, whipping out his scissors and cutting away the trouser leg and revealing the raw, running wound. Billy watched in fascination and felt quite disgusted at the sight of so much blood. He could smell the copper.
    The medic applied sulfa powder, and reached around with a forceps, clicking it twice. He withdrew a tiny dosage of Morphine, even though Miller was not screaming. He administered the grains of morphine.
    A rush of well-being rushed through Miller, he leaned his head back and his fear and pain abated considerably. He could feel the medic reaching around in his wound, trying to find and clamp off the lacerated artery.
    Billy came over to his friend. Miller looked up at him spacily, Morphine and blood loss dimming the usual spark of Intelligence.
    "Is this his ticket home?" Billy asked.
    "Let's not get ahead of ourselves." The Medic said, withdrawing field bandages.
    "I need you to hold it down and tape it off. I've got other wounded to attend to."
    He pressed Billy's hand on the carmine soup and went off.
    There was then a great ripping of machine gun fire. BIlly instinctively went to earth, but was able to maintain pressure on the wound to prevent it from spurting all over the place.
    The germans were counterattacking.
    Dilemma of choice: Stay wiht Miller and close the wound, or risk moving him to a safer location, as the artillery barrage had wasted much of the Hedges that Miller had sought cover under?
    He thought he could see movement as the German Infantry began to move against the Americans

TAG: Miller, Billy

7 June 1944, with Lt. Staples & loader, St. Aubin Arquenay

Staples moved round behind the house just as the Panzer spoke. He was temporarily thrown to earth by the shockwave as the 75 mm gun blasted in one wall searching for Staples and his loader. MG fire from it's coaxial mount joined in with bullets zipping around like insane, angry hornets.
    Staples rose, seizing his slightly slower loader and ran towards the far side of the house, trying to get to the small shed on the edge of the property.
    He stopped suddenly, as he heard voices and running footsteps above the din of the grinding Panzer.
    Panzergrenadiers.
    They were trying to flank him as the tank pinned him in place.

TAG: Staples

6. TheTatooineRexTrader

May 16, 2006
    IC: Staples & Loader
    St. Aubin Arquenay

The two-man rocket team both heard the Panzergrenadiers approaching.

The loader ran ahead and slid behind the shed.

Lieutenent Staples slid in just afterwards, to have the bazooka shoved into his arms.

His loader, Sergeant Castro, pulled out his Carbine.

Staples had no small arms, they'd broken in previous battles. They both knew Castro didnt have much hope with a Carbine. Carbine's were given out for moral, basically. Lieutenant Staples looked the Sergeant in the eyes and nodded.

TAG: Open tag

7. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    OCC: since miller is basicly incapacitated ill let billy post first.

8. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Just letting Deis know that I havent been hit by a car or anything, but DRL is cutting into my RPing time considerably. Keep a look out for me though, cos when I finally get the time I will return,
    and the Nazi War Machine will be shaking in their boots once more knowing that the mighty Sabre has returned to kick their arses back to the Fatherland!

9. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: I want to let everyone know that I've not abandoned this sim. But a combination of Real Life and other factors have caused me to slack off a bit from this sim. I have not forgotten it.
    I got permission form the mods to start work on a second sim, and I'm busily scripting away one Big idea, and a series of backup ideas if that fails.
    So, to sum up, I have not forgotten, though I have been neglectful, and for that I apologize.

Sabre: Are you a professional wrestler? So many of your OOC's sound like Promo's that would spring from the mouths of so many great wrestlers both past and present. ;-)

10. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    *Stumbles into thread during a lull in the annoying routine of real life*

OOC: [face_laugh] Me? A wrestler? Hardly. I am just a foolish adolescence being dragged under by the endless propaganda spoon-fed to todays society (in other words, I watch WAY too much TV, and spend WAY too much time on the PC :p)

11. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    7 June 1944, Mixed American Unit, South of Utah Beach. Miller, billy, Scubs, Taylor et al

Billy seized Miler and dragged him under a hedge. It was not exactly good protection, but if they didn't see him the germans would not shoot at him. All they had to do now was worry about a stray bullet.
    The German attack came out of the woods to the east of the road. Infantry. Their machine guns spat and roared, adn the riflemen advanced slowly. towards the American unit, dropping down and firing to cover the MG crews as they advanced.
    The Americans began to fire back, some of them dropping back into town for better cover. The tank, though immobilized, rotated its turret and added it's cannon to the din as well.
    The Germans then began to back off a bit, and sought a route of advance that was out of the line of fire of the tank.
    Taylor crouch-ran to the side of the immobilized tank, bullets hissing all about. He chanced a look around the side and saw an officer or NCO leading about a dozen German troops around the right, perhaps trying to slip through a hedge and come around the flank.
    Billy secured miller, and then crawled back, he tried to sight in under the hedges, but couldn't get any lines of fire, so he rolled into a ditch and planned. He would fire off a few shots with his sniper rifle, and then withdraw towards the Town. There he would get in a building with a good line of sight and pick off more German infantry from there.
    The German attack continued.

TAG: Miller, Billy, et al

7 June 1944, St. Aubin Arquenay, with Staples, Morton, et al

The Grenadiers were just outside the house. Staples could hear them. He didn't know much German, and their voices were muffled anyway, but they kept moving about. They came alongside the wall that Staples and his loader were crouched against. And he heard clearly, "Haben Sie Handgranate?" It froze his blood. He understood that!
    Just as he was about to bail with his loader, the Grenadiers were taken under fire from a Vickers Heavy MG. They beat a hasty retreat around the side of the hosue, seeking cover from the hot lead.
    This gave an opportunity. They heard the Panzer roaring it's engine like the infernal beast it was, as it ground forward again. And the line of sight to it was now clear of grenadiers who might take the intrepid bazooka-men down with their rifles.
    Quickly, Staples upended the Bazooka for his loader to slam a rocket home, and daring fate, peeked out the window to gage the panzer's distance. 20 yards...
    "She's up!" the loader yelled, placing the bazooka on Staples shoulder and tapping his helmet.

TAG: Staples, all at St. Aubin

OOC: Sorry guys. I've been out of it lately. Things went down in RL, and this had to drop off the priority list for a while. I apologize for that.

12. TheTatooineRexTrader

May 16, 2006
    IC: Lieutenant Staples & loader
    7 June 1944, St. Aubin Arquenay

Todd looked down the sight of his bazooka and aimed it right into the center of their group.

Behind him, Sergeant Castro slammed in a rocket and yelled something, then tepped him on the helmet.

He let the rocket rip straight at the Grenadiers.

They had no time to move.

The group exploded in a ball of fire, when Lieutenant Staples pulled Fidel down.

TAG: Germans, all at St. Aubin.

13. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Guess whos back with a kinda different, basically the same but will claim its new rap? Sabre!!! RL has eased up on me a little as of late and I'm ready and rarin to go!

One thing though, do I read correct that Staples' loader/companion's name is Fidel Castro?!? [face_laugh] You gotta be kidding me thats hilarious!

Will try and get a post up before the weekend, a few assignments to finish off over the next couple days before I am free for a while.

14. TheTatooineRexTrader

May 16, 2006
    OOC: Damn stright! Where do you think he was before that fatal 26th of July?

15. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    IC: Miller
    Miller could feel his wound starting to itch but his left arm was numb and he counld'nt move it."Billy find a foxhole then drag me to it leave me here till you find or i would slow you down." Miller grab his M1 and loaded the .50 cal round in the rifle."**** my helmet." Miller look around for his helmet, after scaning the ground for a few mins he found a helmet with a spade on it."Thats it 506th got to be mine." Miller crawled toward his helmet dispite the machine gun fire, he quickly grabed his helemt and started firing on the MG position.

TAG: Anyone in the battle

16. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Morning 7 June 1944, with Miller, Billy, Taylor, et al. South of Utah beach.

Gritting his teeth against the pain in his mangled leg, Miller began firing at the light MG position the Germans had set up to provide cover for their advancing infantry. After discharging a clip and a half, the machine gun noticed him after he took out one of the ammo bearers. It turned on him, it's black maw reeling on him and spraying lead death at him. The bullets ricoheted around him, eruptions of dirt blinded him, and he rolled back into the depression to avoid being sawed in two.
    He accidentally rolled onto his wound, and the pain that screamed through his leg was such that he thought he would pass out. His vision went blurry and cross-eyed for a moment, but he regained his composure and was able to examine the leg. Luckily, he hadn't torn open the wound, and the dressing seemed to be holding.
    He glanced up, still seeing tracers hiss bare centimeters over his head. Then the machine-gun fire stopped. A moment later, the Sherman's cannon boomed. Miller surmised that the immobile tank had turned it's gun on the MG Crew, and they had sensibly displaced to a position with more cover. That gave him perhaps half-a-minute of let-up in murderous MG-42 fire.

TAG: Miller, all others at this fight

7 June 1944, St. Aubin-Arquenay, With Morton, Hanley, Staples, and Castro (!)

The tank burned this time. The crew bailed out the back and headed for the rear. A steady-handed man with an Enfield got one of them. The Grenadiers were effectively pinned, and the loss of the tank made them more cautious. They began to focus their fire on the heavy Vickers, which they determined would have to be knocked out before they could continue advancing. above their din, Staples could hear a halftrack milling about, but coming forward. There were sure tMroo be other armored vehicles there as well.
    Bullets sang through the house. The Germans definitely knew that Staples and castro were in there now, and were trying to suppress it while more grenadiers moved against it. If they captured the house. they could use it as a staging area before making the assault against the British line at the edge of town, or they could use it as a base of fire to suppress the rest of the line. Either way it had to be kept from happening.
    Staples spied an Schmeisser armed NCO with about four riflemen advancing on the left in surges. They were approaching a position where they would be unable to get a clear line of fire on them. Then the grenadiers would doubtless advance the rest of the way, chuck in a few grenades, and that would be all for Staples and Castro.
    There was a dilemma: Attempt to suppress them with just the rifle, as the bazooka was not suitable for individual targets, or one of them to rush to the rear to gather a force to bolster the house, or in event of capture, to retake it.
    The decision was upon Staples. Castro snapped closed his Webley. and looked to his superior.

TAG: Morton, Hanley, Staples, etc.

OOC: Guys, I'm a nitwit. I've been neglecting this sim, wasting my time on a mega-crossover RPG that will probably never happen, and is not even very good in the first place now that I've been revising it. I'm going to do what I can to make up for it.
    Staples, just to let you know, Bazookas were not used against infantry. Unless they were in bunkers or buildings. Out in the open, the effect of a shaped charge would be minimal against the fighting effectiveness of an Infantry squad. I've retconned slightly what happened: You and Castro took out the tank. the Heavy Weapons company suppressed and broke the Squad of Grenadiers that almost ate your lunch. They fled to the rear.
    I still have an option with the Mod to start a second RPG on the NSWRPG boards. It probably won't be the clunker mega-crossover, but I'd like to know what Genre people would want to play. Should it be an Eastern Front equivalent to this? A Napoleonic RPG? Or something completely different?

17. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Either something to do with the Eastern Front or something to do with Australians.
    Oh wait, How about we open one for the Battle of The Bulge? or Operation Market Garden?

EDIT: A post to go along with this could be a good idea...

IC: Sgt. Hanley, 50th Division, St. Aubin

Jake's head was ringing like mad as he lifted himself out of the dirt. A grenade had gone off nearby and he was still shaken by the explosion. With dirt across most of his face Jake squinted over towards the right flank to see the nearest Panzer disfigured and burning. To the left a squad of German grenadiers were attempting to the flank the main British line.

Wait, no they werent. They were charging for the Vickers!. Getting to his feet and grabbing his rifle Sgt. Hanley got up and ran to the secondary trench line and continued down the line towards the Vickers gun. Peering out across the battlefield Hanley saw the Germans were within 50 metres of the gun.

Coming up to the gun emplacement Jake yelled at the gunners in a raspy voice "Get some fire on those bleeding Jerries on the left!"

"Aye Sergeant!" yelled one as he brang the guns muzzle around and unleashed a dozen kinds of hell on his new targets.

Leaning against the side of the trench Jake got out his Binoculars and quickly surveyed the field for the next immediate threat. The germans were everywhere, but the main road into town had become too congested by destroyed and un-manned Panzers and halftracks, leaving most of the assault to the grenadiers and riflemen.

There, on the right flank. Some Jerries were making a move on the farmhouse. The farnhouse was essential to keeping the germans at bay on the cities outskirts, and if captured would allow them a position to launch a more directed assault.

"They are trying to take the farmhouse!" Hanley shouted to no one in particular. They needed to reinforce the building. Looking around him Jake noticed 4 of his men holed up in a large crater a few yards away. Running closer, Jake shouted "Oi lads, come with me, we've got to secure the farmhouse."

The men lifted their heads and scrambled back towards Sgt. Hanley who was still in the secondary trench. The firefight was getting fierce.

"Right lads lets move, head around the back of the hedges and we should have cover all the way to the house."

With that Hanley darted off behind the hedge...

TAG: Morton, Staples, Deiskrad

18. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    IC: Miller
    Miller was feeling faint he used his rifle as a crutch and began to walk behind the tank for some cover, Miller noticed why the tank was immoble the tracks were puntured my a nearby A200 wooden landmine. Miller could tell the crew how to fix it, when joining the Army miller was Combat Engineer during the Italy campaign but it was short lived when he was assigned as an RTO but Miller still rember his trainig. When trying to speak his voice broke an couldint talk from all the pain he was feeling,"Ok it i cant talk damn alright i only got 5 clips plus the 4 in my rifle, os that end up with a grand total of 44 rounds, that would last me thought the day if I pick my targest off carefully." Miller was making all these calculations in his head and decide that he couldint do anything with a bad leg, Miller bagan to bang against the tank to get the crew's attention.

TAG: anyone

19. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    you should do a Holland Campain sicnce we are already doing the normandy breakout/.

20. masterjedi343

Jan 26, 2005
    ooc:sorry ive been away awhile ill start posting more for this

ic:billy

:Billy runs up to miller who was standing next to the tank:: how you doin Miller? ::eek:ffers him a cigarate from his pack, he then saw that Miller looked incapacitated and looked for a nedic;; damn never a medic around when you need one. ::He then saw one talking and changed his thinking;; thank god for medics.HEY GET OVER HERE :;he motioned the medic over to look at miller

tag:all,Miller

21. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    IC:Miller

Miller was glad to see billy responding from the choas of the german attack. "Billy get my ass out of here now!" The MG Pair was back and with a vengence, setting up a new position with better cover they put lead into anyone within their feild of fire."Nevermind on second thought stay here, I don't know how we are going to get out of this one."

TAG: anyone.

22. masterjedi343

Jan 26, 2005
    ic:Billy

::Billy grabs Miller from the fire of the MGs into a fox hole as he tries to find himself cover for a good shot to take out the MG. He grabs a grenade and launches it over twords the germans, not only missing the guns completly but instead toppling a building onto their troops covering the area with dust::

ooc:if we are not in the same spot when i dissapeared i will edit my post or repost if my edit time runs out. :)

23. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    South of Utah beach, with miller, Billy, Taylor, et al. 7 June 1944

Miller pulled back from the fire of the German MG, doing his best to ignore the pain in his thigh, and trying even harded to keep from going into shock. The tourniquette was designed only to be a stopgap until they could get him to the rear. Who knew how long that would be? But it better be soon, as his thigh was leaking still as adrenaline shot his heartrate up.
    He looked over and saw two colonies of ants fighting, and he imagined briefly that they might well both be wearing different helmets, just as the men. They were focused on their predicament and cared not a whit fro the bullets and mortar bombs that were causing an upheaval to their territories.
    Billy's rifle cracked, he was in this fight at last. The germans continued to advance in small leaps, their Machine Guns providing covering fire while their infantry closed. There was a whoosh and smoke and the crippled sherman blew up as a panzerfaust round took it down. It's burning husk instanty seared the flesh from the bones of the poor wretches within. Worse still, it provided an impromptu smoke screen. Several German smoke grenades added to it. The German advance was obscured.
    That meant they were about to assault the town.

TAG: Miller, Billy, et al

24. masterjedi343

Jan 26, 2005
    ic:billy

::Billy curses as he sees the germans advance and he grabs his backup pistol and starts shooting the germans as they run into town, he manages to clip a few in the head, but not many. He retreats with the rest deeper into town trying to think of a plan::

tag:all in fight

25. Lord_Lunan

Lord_Lunan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2006
    ooc: what if you like German weapons but want to be American? Can i steal German weapons like in Call of Duty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.