main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OS announces return of OT character

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_Master201, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    First topic I've started in a long time... Just wanted to get some discussion going on the recent announcement at the OS that Chewbacca will be in Ep. III.

Cool. :)

What do ya'll think? Glad? Disappointed? Indifferent? Shocked? Eh?

EDIT: "Episode III will further connect the Star Wars saga, bridging the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy in new and surprising ways. As such, familiar faces and places will return in this new Star Wars film, which is currently in pre-production.
    Reprising their classic roles from the original trilogy are actors Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker. They return to Star Wars as Chewbacca the Wookiee, C-3PO and R2-D2.

"I'm delighted to return as Chewbacca," says Mayhew. "I think his re-appearance in this film is a fitting way to tie the whole saga together, especially for Wookiee fans." Given that Chewbacca is a sprightly 200 years old in Episode IV, he is more than old enough to fit into the prequel timeline."
    - Official Site

2. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Isn't this a spoiler?

I think you should do the right thing and lock this before you offend someone who really cares about such things.

3. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Considering it's been released on the official site... I wouldn't think it's a spoiler. ?[face_plain]

4. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    It doesn't matter where the info comes from. Trailers constitute spoilers. Novelizations constitute spoilers.

This is a spoiler.

5. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Alright, I asked a mod. We shall see. :)

And tell me, how is one supposed to avoid the very obvious message down at the bottom of the screen, in the headline section?

6. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    As far as I understand it, information released on the official site is not considered spoiler material, and is okay for this forum. People used to discuss the select images from AOTC on the 2NS board, and those were more spoilerish than this news.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    (1) If it's on the official site, it ain't a spoiler. Them's the rules.
    And since when are officially released trailers spoilers?

(2) Regarding the news: I'm really really SURPRISED. I wonder how this will play out?
    Didn't McCallum say there weren't gonna be any OT cameos?

Ah well.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Perhaps we should be careful of the titles we pick then? Return of an OT Charcter may have been better. Or not. But who who didn't won't to know could comment.

Anyway, I'm wondering just how large a part the role will be. I'm guessing he'll be on Tatooine and Kenobi will meet him.

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, when will Chewie make his appearance?

What's the story with him and Han? Han freed him from Imperial slavery?

Maybe we'll see the Wookiees becoming enslaved...

N.B. I realize according to forum rules that OS releases are not spoilers....that being said, perhaps a "*SPOILERS*" flag can be attached so those like me can avoid these threads.

Of course, I was stupid enough to click on the thread - but I thought it was going to be speculation about Wookiees in Episode III.

Maybe it's already time to take my leave of this forum...I want to be as unspoiled as possible, and I didn't think I'd be spoiled for a while yet.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    <<(2) Regarding the news: I'm really really SURPRISED. I wonder how this will play out?
    Didn't McCallum say there weren't gonna be any OT cameos?>>

Wasn't there a Jedi Council question at TOS that asked about Tarkin, Chewie, or Mon Mothma being in it, and he replied that one would be?

11. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I changed the title for the ultra-spoiler sensitive.

12. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    I apologize for ruining anyone's spoiler-free attempts. :( I'll put up a notice in the thread title.

Anyway, I think it will just be a cameo. I think Obi-Wan wil meet him, which is why we see him talking to Chewie in the cantina, and why he chose him specifically out of all the pilots...

EDIT: Nevermind. Friendly neighborhood mod took care of it. :p

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    thank you. mock me if you will, but I'm attempting to be spoiled as little as possible.

and, all things considered, this info isn't THAT surprising.

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    This could be good or it could be very bad. I certainly hope that he doesn't have any sort of major role in the movie.

15. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I hope Chewie does NOT meet any of the 'major' characters -- the SW universe is small enough as it is.

Exception: I guess he can meet Threepio or Artoo, as they get memory wipes, and we don't know from his 'dialogue' in ANH what he thinks of them!

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'm indifferent, I guess. It's nice to see another familiar face in the PT, but as Jeff said, too much would be overkill. I think a couple of minutes, if that, should be plenty.

17. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    Cool! Chewie rules. Man I can't wait to here him roar on screen again. :)

18. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Let's hope he isn't CG (at any point in the movie)! :p

I hope he's not in any action scenes or anything. Some people I've talked to speculated he'll be flying in Ep. III... It would be bad if GL tried to sneak in a CG shot of him.

19. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Oh my God. Chewbacca in Episode III... yes. I hope it's more than a cameo though.

20. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    How CAN it be? There's too much to tie-up... The death of the Republic/birth of the Empire, death of Anakin/birth of Vader (which will take up most of the story), hiding of the twins, end of the Clone Wars, death of Dooku, death of Mace, not to mention all the little things that are a part of each movie (creature fight, chase sequence...)

As far as I can see the only logical place to put him in is at the hiding of the twins.

21. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't think we'll be able to predict how Chewie gets worked in...

I mean, when they announced that Owen and Beru were gonna be in AOTC, did anyone predict that it would be because Shmi married Owen's dad?

Rick McCallum loves you!

22. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Hopefully he will not have a big role. I really do not see the need for him to be in it.

23. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Good point, Adam.

I know. He'll be Palpatine's personal pilot. :p

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    just to generate some more discussion,

could anything happen involving Chewie and Anakin or anyone close to him that would justify or explain Vader's preventing Boba Fett from shooting the Wookiee in ESB?

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hmmm. I have to say that when I saw this headline in TFN's news box, my jaw practically hit the desk. Official info or not, it just seems... spoilerish somehow. Hopefully when Windy gets in tomorrow or the day after, we can all reopen discussion on how official info should be treated in this forum.

In any case, I'm not thrilled by the idea of any more OT cameos. The whole galaxy is not related, George. Give it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.