main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT Goofs, Nitpicks, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by george_starwars, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    When I watch Star Wars, or any other movie, I am always alert for goofs and plotholes. So just for fun, lets talk about the little things we've noticed.

This thread isn't meant to bash Star Wars, just constrctive observations of everyone's favorite movies.

OK I'll start. In ROTJ as Han is running away from the bunker yelling, you can see the actor's reflection on the glass behind them that sheilds them from the explosion. This is best see in Slow-Motion.

Any other things people?

2. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    The obvious one, in the tESB when being lowered into the carbon freezing chamber Han's vest disappears and reappears at random.

Plus, same scene, his hands were shackled, yet in the carbonite they're up by his head on seperate sides and when he's thawed there's no shackles.

3. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Good one! I never noticed that. I'm told that in the wide-screen version, you can see one of those creatures taking off the hand-cuffs, but I personally can't see that. Any more anyone?

4. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Just what was Han saying to the Imperial when he and Luke got in that elevator on the Death Star? As he enters the elevator he is clearly gesturing to the Imperial who doesn't seem to care.

If "All systems were alerted to their presence", why were they only sending 5 stormtroopers at a time to try to capture them?

Where was the Imperial fleet during the battle of Yavin IV?

5. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Another good one. Keep em coming!

6. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I don't have widescreen (I have special edition and I have the untouched OT recorded off the Sci-Fi Channel when they had a special) and I have always been able to see the little dudes (their names start with M, ahh, I know this!) take the shakles off. The first time I watch ESB, I didn't notice they did it. Then I read about 'bloopers' and decided to look through them... And I noticed you CAN tell they take the cuffs off. It's really quick, like don't blink type of thing. The creatures just sort of surround him, and that's when they take his bindings off. It's also kind of hard to tell because Han keeps his hands where they are the whole time.

I think the worst bloopers are editing bloopers. I hate in the garbage masher scene when they constantly switch to scenes where Han and Leia are nearby, then to a piece of film where they aren't. It's hard to describe, sorry. But the one that annoys me the most is in ESB, during Han/Leia's Falcon kiss. When they're firsting kissing, his hands are still low... Maybe even still holding hers. Then all of the sudden the shot gets wide to show Threepio, and her hand is all of Han's neck! I don't know, it just looks sloppy, to me, to have problems like that. They're often very noticable and distracting.

But even so, the garbage masher scene has ALWAYS (even when I was little) been my favorite scene from ANH, and the Falcon kiss is still a precious Han/Leia moment :D

Devilanse: I think Han's asking the guy if he wants to use the elevator... I always thought that gesture meant "Do you need to come in, too? Because I'm closing the door now."

7. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I can't get enough of the stormtrooper hitting his noggin on the door in ANH. It gets funnier every time I watch it.

@Puggy: Did you know there's a character in the move Big Trouble by that name?

8. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    To add to the first post:

Han runs maybe 20 or 30 feet away from the bunker.

Cut to: GIANT EXPLOSION

Cut back to Han 30 feet away and aperently encased in some kind of personal shield whos perimeter is just beyond the edge of the camera's field of vision.

I guess the explosion was so powerful that all the flaming debris flew over Han's head and landed far far behind him.

9. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    The ANH garbage masher. First off, if you fell - what, 20 feet it seems like? - into a water logged junkyard I think you'd be in pretty bad shape. And just how is that thing built? They seem to be standing on a floor, yet Luke is pulled down so deep that they can't even see him. Where does he go? I mean, if they are just precariously standing on the very top of a large pile of garbage (and again, that landing - ouch!) it sure doesn't look like it.

10. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    TheWombat: Are you talking about my name, Puggy? A character in Big Trouble? You're kidding! Somebody stole my name! I never saw that movie, I meant to, but it had to go back to Blockbuster before I had the chance. I can't believe someone actually called a character Puggy! I've had this alias for about three years now. I changed my alias to Puggy when we got out pug puppy, heehee.

*thinks of another goofamabobber* I used to have a website bookmarked with a gazillion bloopers, it was actually incredibly interesting. Oh, I remember one.. In ANH, during the "This is some rescue!"-scene, a little piece of Leia's hair keeps falling out. One seconds it's out, one second it's tucked nicely back into her hair. Then it's like fallen out again, and then back into her hair. LOL.

More on the Infamous Garbage Masher Scene: What's with the POLE Han and Leia pick up? It's like super bendy, but it looks like pure metal! So they take it and try to keep the walls from closing in, right? Well, it bends a little, and holds the doors for a little while, then that doesn't work and they get rid of the pole... It flops back into the exact position it was in the first place! It's just... Weird. And another thing. When Luke says "Something just went past my leg" or whatever it is he says--How can he FEEL it?! He's got the Stormtrooper get up on, so there's plastic armor around his legs! My friend picked up on that one over the summer...

Am the only one who thinks Han looks TOTALLY different in the beginning and end of TESB? He's so incredibly droolable in the beginning (that haircut is just perfect, not to mention the full jacket he wears looks so nice. And those pants!)... But then when he's frozen, it looks like he has a different haircut? LOL, and when he's unfrozen, he looks COMPLETELY different, heh. I know that's because it had been awhile since he filmed the last movie, but yeah.. Anyway. I'm done ramblin'.

11. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Best goof ever: (In ANH)

Luke has arrived back on Yavin IV after blowing up the Death Star. As he getting out of his X-wing all the rebels are rush up to him with joy. Leia runs to him screaming Luke!

Luke yells back at her...Carrie!

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

12. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Ahh the little things directors miss. I love doing this. :)

13. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    Going back to ESB:
    The little creatures DO take Han's wrist shackles off, but what about the thin, white binder behind his back, attached to his biceps?
    When Leia frees him in ROTJ, it seems to have magically disappeared.

Also, in TPM, why does Obi-Wan's little Braid of Masculinity move from behind one ear to the other?

Also, Why does Luke call Leia "Carrie" when he hugs her after the Battle of Yavin? Is that her middle name?

14. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Carrie is the first name of the actress that plays Leia. :)

Another goof, you if you look closely when C3PO floats in the chair in RotJ, you can see the rigging holding up the chair.

15. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Hammerhead: The Garbage Masher Scene has always puzzled me. :confused:

16. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    DarthZchour said "Also, in TPM, why does Obi-Wan's little Braid of Masculinity move from behind one ear to the other?"

If you listen to the commentary on the DVD George Lucas says that in that scene he originally intended to mirror the film (just for that scene) for the final cut so they put the braid on the other side to prevent the error. But it never got reversed! Oops!

Also, during the pod-race there's a part where Sebulba's pod comes screaming up behind Anakin's and Sebulba isn't in the cockpit!!

Also, I believe the little creatures on Bespin are called Ugnaughts.

d.m.

17. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
  18. The_Spider-Man

The_Spider-Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    Han was never wearing the vest in TESB. I doubt it was even on the set. It's just the lighting. Watch it again.

19. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Great link Eclipsed! :cool:

20. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Well, if we're including the PT, here's one. During the execution scene, part of the crowd (several rows) disappears for a split second. It happens during a short crowd shot where a clothed genosian stands up, shouts, and points. It happens just as the camera pops to this shot. It appears as a very quick flicker in the crowd to the left (our left) of the clothed dude.

21. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Luke does NOT yell "Carrie."

Mark Hamill talked about this one, hehe. What happened is he was supposed to say "Hey, there she is!" But he, as he said, "swallowed the 'is' part" and it came out sounding similar to "Carrie." He never said, nor intended to say, "Carrie."

22. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    The matte paintings in ROTJ are terrible all of a sudden. I mean, they're far better than I could do for sure, but compared to the previous 2 movies they really look like paintings. I'm thinking of the Death Star exteriors and the hideous "not a scratch" backdrop - the Falcon's worst moment! But they're all pretty obvious.

23. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Here is one from TPM. If one podracer = one slave, why didn't Qui-Gon use the money he got from selling the pod to buy Anakins mother? [face_shocked] We nead to think our plots GL!!

24. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    The creatures from ESB are called Ugnaughts. Just a little nit-pick of mine... :p

25. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    No one has mentioned Vader's rock-paper-scissors game he seems to be playing with Tarkin when David Prowse had additional Vader lines he read, but they were not dubbed over.

It amazes me how many people believe it's the lighting that makes Han look like he's wearing his jacket in the close-ups when he says, "I know" in response to Leia's "I love you." It's his jacket, not his vest, and it's certainly not lighting. If you can tell the difference between lighting and a layer of clothing, then it's clear as day. Watch it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.