main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] Lord of the Rings TCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I don't mind an OT thread on the active board as it pertains to Lord of the Rings card game. Just keep it to one thread.

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    He's back :)

Anyways, cool, I'm looking at getting into it, any advice?

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Starting out? My advice is simple: Buy a few starter decks, some boosters, read the rules and try it out. The rule book is somewhat lacking, but Decipher has posted an EXPANDED rule book on their web site, plus they already have a FAQ started.

Browse the Decipher LOTR message boards for gameplay and deck ideas. DeckTech has opened a new LOTR section, too.

I love the game. It's a lot of fun.

4. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    DeckTech?

Maybe Decipher will get smart and use the only good idea WotC has ever had just about.
    Make a deck designer for the computer, and expand their technology from Star Trek and make it playable online.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Maybe Decipher will get smart and use the only good idea WotC has ever had just about. Make a deck designer for the computer, and expand their technology from Star Trek and make it playable online<<

they had wanted to, but LFL veto'd the idea

6. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Well I wanted that, but I meant about LotR.

Well, I went and bought a starter deck, anyone want to play a game?

7. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Hey, Red84, Anonymous_Jedi and I are thinking of playing a game of LOTR online here on the message board, so everyone can see how it's played. Is that okay? Should we use this thread, or start a new one?

8. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    The LotR tcg is a lot of fun to play. I play it a whole lot more right now than swccg for a number of reasons. If you're going to play a game, you can bet I'll drop in and watch :)

9. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Well, it'll be a learning experiance for me as well, I have read the rules but I have not played a game yet.

First game I played of SWCCG after reading the rules was waaaaaaaay off from what I interpreted the rules as ;)

10. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Sure, go ahead. Make a new [OT] thread and put that it's a LOTR sample game because I don't want more than one game on here and I'd like to keep this thread more or less "general" in discussion (i.e. how to start playing, rules Q's, etc.).

11. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok, thanks :)

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I picked up the two starter decks and two boosters today to take a look at the game...I've gotten partway through the rulesbook so far and it looks pretty inetresting...I like the idea that both players are basicly acting as both good and evil at the same time, and for some reason, on a very basic level, it reminds me partially of "Trouble" ::) The rules are a little intimidating though (so were the ones for SW:CCG, but the titles of actions you took during your turn as well as the titles of the phases themselves were more intuitive than LOTR thus far). The need of tokens botehrs me as well, but i'll give it a shot. Regardless, I was curious if any of the rares and foils i got, listed below, were considered good cards or not....or maybe i should i'm wondering if these are considered good pulls or not.

Gandalf starter rares:

ancient chieftain
    the witch king
    the misadventure of mr. underhill

Aragorn starter rares:

the gaffer
    power according to his stature
    saruman's reach

Booster Pack #1 rares & foils:

Hate (r)
    Swordarm of the white tower (foil) (c)

Booster Pack #2 rares and foils:

Dark Whispers (foil) (r)
    Parry (r)

13. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    and for some reason, on a very basic level, it reminds me partially of "Trouble" ::)

Ha! Does that mean we can use the Pop-O-Matic for resolving skirmishes? :)

The rules are a little intimidating though

You'll get the hang of it. Check out the sample game Anonymous Jedi and I are playing.

The need of tokens botehrs me as well, but i'll give it a shot.

Well, you don't need tokens if you can remember exactly how many wounds and/or burdens are on each of your characters, and exactly how many tokens are in the twilight pool.
    ;)

The tokens in this game are well done, imo.

ancient chieftain - great card for the Gandalf starter deck!
    the witch king - an awesome card! Nazgul are a popular choice among serious players because of their strength and killer support cards.
    the misadventure of mr. underhill - useless in your Gandalf deck, but great in your Aragorn deck.

the gaffer - eh, nice but usually not necessary.
    power according to his stature - nice card if you plan on using your ring-bearer in skirmishes, which most only do as a last resort.
    saruman's reach - nice in combination with other cards, like Uruk Spy, otherwise, eh.

Hate (r) - eh, fair
    Swordarm of the white tower (foil) (c) - good

Dark Whispers (foil) (r) - good
    Parry (r) - good
    two rares in one pack? nice!!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>two rares in one pack? nice!!<<

yeah, i noticed that and that the wrapper says foils come 1 in 6 packs...so getting 2 outta 2 seems to be a pretty good nab as well::)

thanks for the card comments...now, to finish the rule book...[face_batting]

15. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    In my first starter (aragorn) I got the other Aragorn, Gimli SOG, and Gandalf FOTSF. I thought they were part of the "fixed cards" and I kept looking for the rares and couldn't find any and then I noticed how dumb I was and realized that those 3 were the rares lol

16. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    :eek:
    I don't even know which rares I got :(

17. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Did you buy any boosters or do you still have your starter deck? because rares have an "R" in the bottom right hand..hell, i'm sure you already know and i'm wasting my TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

18. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Someone mentioned Saruman's Reach and the possibility of card combos with it. I've been trying to make one work, but I think it would only really be possible in a multiplayer game, with one Shadow player using Isengard and another using Ringwraiths. The idea is to put out about two Uruks (prefereably Savages) and one Ringwraith (preferably the Witch-King, but most any will do). Play a Saruman's Snows, and then as many Saruman's Reaches as it takes until they choose to put on the Ring (if they can't discard 3, they have to). Then play Return To Its Master and whoop Frodo with your Ringwraith. If you can't get a Snows out, at least play Their Power Lies In Terror so they can't use Bounders, and maybe make your Ringwraith Ulaire Cantea so you can get rid of Sting. What do you think? Would such a strategy ever work?

19. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Theoretically it should work. However, that probability is slim to none! I would love to see that happen in the game. But the situation has to be perfect and the right cards need to be drawn. It's one of those things that could happen, but usually never do. Clever strategy though :)

20. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Hmmm... but what if the deck was based ENTIRELY around setting up that combo? It might go something like this:

The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Fellowhip:
    Frodo, Son Of Drogo (start)
    Gandalf, Friend Of The Shirefolk (start)
    4 Elrond, Lord Of Rivendell
    4 Ottar, Man Of Laketown
    4 Old Toby
    4 Longbottom Leaf
    4 Risk A Little Light
    4 Hobbit Stealth
    4 Hobbit Intuition

Shadow:
    4 Uruk Savage
    4 Uruk Shaman
    2 Uruk Fighter
    4 Saruman's Snows
    4 Saruman's Reach
    4 The Witch-King, Lord Of Angmar
    4 Return To Its Master
    4 They Are Coming

Sites:
    East Road
    Weatherhills
    Ford Of Bruinen
    Moria Lake
    The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
    Galadriel's Glade
    Anduin Wilderland
    Shores Of Nen Hithoel
    Slopes Of Amon Hen

Strategy: Try to go second, and only move once per turn. Use Elrond, Ottar, Light, and Old Toby to draw like crazy, and Longbottom Leaf, Ottar (again), and They Are Coming (you CAN discard and "try" to play an orc even if there aren't any, right?) to discard stuff you don't want. Once you get an 8-card hand of 2 Uruk Savages, Saruman's Snows, 3 Saruman's Reaches, The Witch-King, and Return To Its Master and enough twilight to play them all, play the Savages and the Witch King, exert one Savage for the Snows and then keep exerting them for the Reaches, and once they put the Ring on, just pray the Witch-King is still alive at the end of the first skirmish phase. With the Snows out, only archery could kill him, so don't do this at a forest or river. If you spend the whole game setting up a combo and then blow it because you left yourself open to A Ranger's Versatility, you deserve to lose. Heck, this deck'll probably lose anyway, but when it DOES win, it'll be so sweet. The greatest is if you can get them to double move to site 9. How bad would that be for your opponent, to lose at site 9 to a deck that only moved once every turn and didn't play a single minion at any of the other sites?

21. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    <"Once you get an 8-card hand of 2 Uruk Savages, Saruman's Snows, 3 Saruman's Reaches, The Witch-King, and Return To Its Master and enough twilight to play them all">

man, you'd have to cheat to get that situation to come up. But if it worked just perfectly, that would totally rule

22. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    anyone on ICQ wanna teach me how to play?

23. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Check out the other OT thread, the sample game. Anonymous_Jedi and I made it through a couple of turns, enough to give you a basic idea of how the game works. We're getting ready to play a multi-player version. If you want, go pick up a starter deck and some boosters (or print the starter decks from PDF files posted on decipher.com) and join us! Playing the game is the best way to learn, I think.

24. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I have cards. the rules just don't make sense

25. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    You could also play it through Apprentice. Which is like 100 times more fun than messageboard/IM/Email play. It's like the real card game, without the cards lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.