main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Other Boards are still down...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mobius, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Wow, I surprised no one has migrated back over here yet, while our normal boards are down. FYI, for those who don't know, we're currently moving our regular boards to new hosting. Things are a little bumpy right now, but Erica and Marty are working to resolve the MS SQL issues an get them back online.

2. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    I'd have thunk the same thing.

Go figure.

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    There was a time when this would have caused widespread panic.

4. Mexchewy70

Mexchewy70 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Glad I came back just in time to know this was happening.

5. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    If I panic, does that count??

I'm told that I'm widespread...

6. clichekiller

clichekiller Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2003
    Personally I forgot about these boards until just now. What are the details of the bumps Mo?

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Are you panicking? If you are the world as we know it is coming to an end.

8. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Since I still have admin rights to the old boards, I updated the "down message" to include a link to these boards. For us old-timers, we come back here as a force of habit. But for the newer guys who have only known "the new boards" the new message should steer them here. I hope that helps.

9. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    Most excellent.

And now I remember one of the reasons that we moved...

"Only one post per 60 seconds allowed. Please wait 28 seconds."

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Haha, OPPMed! :p

11. clichekiller

Sep 29, 2003
    What's the problem anyway? Did the database not make it over correctly? Are they having a hard time connecting to it from the ASP? Is the connection string borked? I'm just looking for a little details to see if I can help.

12. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    It has to do with the fact that MS SQL is crap and ridiculously finicky. Marty is having to recode a portion of the Dbase. I'm told that the server is now set and ready, and it's just waiting for the finished Dbase. I'll post updates in this thread as I get them. I'm told at this point it should hopefully be just a few more days.

13. clichekiller

Sep 29, 2003
    I code against SQL Server all the time, it really isn't all that finicky, especially when working with ASP which our site is coded in. That's why I was trying to get more details on the actual problems. I could probably have saved them a lot of headaches. Snitch is designed to work with a variety of databases too, just point it to one and it'll create everything it needs, which is where I imagine some of the difficulty might arise.

14. antistar

antistar Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2009
    Greetings, Programs.

Thought I would register and give everyone a much-needed update.

Not going to lie, CK, really wish I knew how familiar you were with this before we started here, considering I don't know much of anything about MS SQL and Marty's been pulling out her hair over this... either way, we're where we are now, so we'll make the most of it.

Also, the thought of converting the existing format to an easier one, such as MySQL, which the current boards software does run on, did cross our minds. The fact that it would likely have taken much, much longer (at least a month) to accomplish, and the fact that neither of us has done that before, made us reconsider this.

Anyway. Reasons for the delay and update as follows:

To make a long story somewhat less long, the first problem was getting the database into a decipherable format for the GoDaddy Database Publishing Wizard (TM), which was the only available uploading method at the time and took at least two days and having to reformat everything to version 2005. Then we uploaded it, couldn't get the site and the DB talking, backed it up, deleted it, and tried to restore everything to a database with a different username. This made everything basically "explode" (to use the technical term) and we had to get the GD hosting higher-ups involved (thankfully we know people, otherwise who knows how long this would have taken).

This was all last week. Also last week, I flew back home to help my good friend move down here this past weekend, and Marty started school. So, a week off of working on this, give or take. Plus a week waiting for the GD hosting devs to pull their heads out of each other's orifices.

Currently:

Domain is being pointed as we speak to the new host. The database, after a long and tedious process, needed to be deleted and recreated due to the database not being able to recognize the content due to a different username than the previous setup. This has been remedied, and right now we're waiting for a fresh backup to be published to the SQL database and hopefully we can get the site to actually play nice with the content.

I have the message at the site now displaying the address of the PFF boards here for everyone to see, as well as my email so people can yell at me firsthand or whatever. In the words of a true tech support representative, I apologize for any inconvenience with this matter. At least I really do mean it this time. This is what happens when people go "Oh, it can't be that hard" and then realize that yes, yes it can be that hard, and for ridiculously stupid reasons...

Cross your fingers it'll be up within the week. If not, I'm taking a hammer to Microsoft.

15. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    Take a hammer to Microsith anyway...

It's all good.

16. clichekiller

Sep 29, 2003
    Woof, sorry to hear about all the problems. Some of that I could probably have helped on, but I would have been equally thrown by the GoDaddy data migration tool, which seems to be the heart of most of your troubles. Thanks for the update and above all else the huge effort and angst you've put into making this migration happen.

MTFBWY and failing that go see the wizard =)

17. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Now I'm just getting this:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'

Login failed for user 'phxff'.

/inc_top.asp, line 32

18. antistar

antistar Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah, there may be error messages popping up as we try and get everything hooked up. I'll post here and on the boards when the site is actually up and running. Since the domain is pointing to the site now, you guys might see messages like that come up.

19. Balisong

Balisong Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2009
    I was to understand there'd be cake and punch here?

20. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    *psst* The cake is a lie.

21. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

22. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    Any updates?