main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Naboo Nightgown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by QueenLaniAmidala, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    This just came to me, I was wondering if anybody had made Padme's Naboo nightgown or was planning on making it, the white nightgown with the cool blue robe. I hadn't even thought, that'd be really cool to make, not only would you have a costume, but I'm sure the robe you could actually wear around your house and stuff during the winter.

Of course, there is the problem that there are hardly any pictures of this costume! So I'll post a few here, to get started. If anybody else has other pictures of the outfit, just post them here, we'll see what we can come up with.

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/42c2c75/bc/Costumes/Amidala+1.jpg?bcBodQ9AbgApB6SB]

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/42c2c75/bc/Costumes/Amidala+3.jpg?bcBodQ9AtHuKyoi.]

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/42c2c75/bc/Costumes/Amidala78.jpg?bcBodQ9AJPJvcerc]

Well what do you guys think? Fabric ideas? I really hope theres not another thread about this, I looked and didn't find one, so I hope I'm not being redundant.

sg edit -- just unlocking!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I know we've talked about this costume before. Especially that gorgeous robe, but I don't remember where. I don't *think* it has its own thread.
    Anyway, I got to see this costume in person at the Celebration. The nightgown is simple enough, but that robe is yards and yards and yards and yards of ruched up fabric. I can't remember how many yards was said...30 or something outrageous like that? I'm sure queenseamstress will remember because I know she really likes it. :)

A lot help that was....LOL!

edit: Oh! I think I recall Trisha Biggar saying that the gold trim along the sleeves of the robe was antique. Anyone else remember this, or am I just making stuff up again? [face_mischief]

3. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    OBI DAWN- I remember the discussion too--although I don't remember where :confused: I remember having a big discussion on it because we had heard it was smocked. I personally do a lot of hand smocking and have even taught it--but I couldn't see the version of smocking I'm familiar with anywhere in this garment. English smocking is embroidery worked on pleats to create pictures and geometric design-it is used a lot on children's clothing-when the holding threads come out the fabric becomes like elastic. However, I have since come to the conclusion that this garment is hand "runched" which other countries sometimes call smocking. Runching looks like puckered fabric in a no rhyme or reason sort of way. I heard somewhere that this piece was done using irredescent threads (green, blue, purple) and that they started with something like 50 yards [face_shocked] I think Trisha likes the # 50 (picnic dress yardage too)
    I also read that the trim on the sleeves is antique.
    My take on the gown is that is bias cut. This cut makes the gown figure hugging and slinky and sexy [face_devil] and being cut on the bias diagonal makes the pastel embroidered flowers run diagonal. The underbust seams also flatter and show off the bustline.
    I have not even begun to think about making this outfit---BUT I have to say I did spot some fabric on one of my many trips to the fabric stores. I found a runched up bright royal blue velvet--that I thought could have some emboidery worked on to look pretty close--HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    NO!!! I must chain myself back to my machine and not be tempted by the evil projects on these boards!! I need help--too many projects--not enough time to sew them!!
    FERD

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, but Ferd, if you've found the perfect fabric then you are obligated to make it! :p

5. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    I envy you, I haven't found any perfect fabrics at my local stores. Bah humbug. Er... :)

6. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    OBI-DAWN = [face_devil] [face_devil]

You are EVIL!!! Don't tempt me--believe me it doesn't take much!! LOL!!!

If any of you want to see the fabric for yourself here is the link to the store I saw it in. They usually are pretty good a sending samples, and happily do mail orders--they are not a chain so I know this is the only location.

fabric store

You can email them a picture of whatever kind of fabric you're looking for and they will send you samples. NO minimum order!!!

P.S> Their website has just a FRACTION of what they carry--they are an awesome costumer's store!!! A great place to come and drool!! :)

7. Mst_Anakin

Mst_Anakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    man I wish I could make that, I would die happy having that outfit. Well the Padawans guide has some nice pictures. If any of you guys, or gals I guess would be more correct, know of a patter for this dress please do share. Like I said I would die happy having this dress! :)

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/padme_nightdress_new3.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/padme_nightdress_new4.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/elpais.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/makingof5.jpg

mind you these are not mine so don't go steeling them or anything.

8. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Yay. I found it: the original nightgown thread, way back on page 10. And I have my settings set to show 40 threads on a page. Yikes.

Anyways. Yep, it's 30+ yards of hand smocked fabric. And it was Obi-Dawn that gave us the information.

*procurer of random thread knowledge*

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    the nightgown itself must be quite simple to do though, I guess you could almost find that one in any good clothes shop, and then maybe just embroider the flowers on it.

But of course it wouldn't be right without the blue robe...

10. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Do you think it might be possible to find a fabric already hand-smocked like that? Of course it would probably be really expensive, huh... grr. no fair. I have zippo moola at the moment.

11. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    If figures, the two dresses I really absolutly adore have to be the hardest to make it seems. Darn beautiful night gown and rainbow dress.... how you taunt me so! :p

12. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Everyone,

I also had the pleasure of hearing about and seeing this gown and robe at CII.

In Saturday's session with Trisha, I specifically remember her saying the robe started as 25 yards of fabric that were "hand-smocked" into a geometric pattern by one person over the period of at least a month. She also mentioned something about breaking a thread and the poor woman nearly losing her sanity, but that said was (mostly) in jest. :) The number 25 could have been meant literally, but I'm not sure.

I've told EVERYONE I've seen the movie with this story because it is so incredible to me that so much time would be spent for so little screen time! The artistry of this movie continues to astound me! This is definitely on my to-do list, but not for public wearing. ;)

Regards,
    M.

PS Dawn - Since you're becoming one of our resident embroidery experts, any thoughts on the flowers on the gown? What kind of thread do you think, variagated? They don't seem outrageously difficult, but it may have to wait for the DVD.

13. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about that embroidery.

14. Maulwalker

Maulwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 1999
    I suspect the mention of 25 yards of velvet in the robe was accurate. If you remember, Anthony Daniels remarked about the weight of the robe when he was handling it and the robe threatened to slip off the mannequin.

As for the embroidery, I have some silk floss that is ombre dyed. Wonder if that is what was used?

15. blueeyes_and_a_smile

blueeyes_and_a_smile Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    i have a question. would the fabric need to be smocked before it was cut out, or after?
    i have a book that has a little bit on hand smocking in a geometric pattern (actually, its for a curtain pelmet in a home furnishings book but it looks exactly the same). and how would you embroider the slip dress? praps with small straight lines cunningly assemled to look like flowers?

i probably need a lot of help as ive NEVER made anything from scratch before so if any of you kind and generous seamstresses or costume makers could e-mail me with help (blueeyesandasmile@fsmail.net), it would be greatly appreciated

rebecca xx

16. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Question: anybody actually know what the design is on the gold strip that runs down her arm?

17. blueeyes_and_a_smile

Jun 21, 2002
    looks like a gold taffeta ribbon with velvet trim, might be mistaken but dont think so

18. QueenLaniAmidala

Jun 9, 2002
    Do you guys think any of these look similar? I need a second or third opinion, I've been staring at this trim for too long. :)

[image=http://www.designerfabricoutlet.ca/images/71527lg.jpg]

[image=http://www.designerfabricoutlet.ca/images/44005lg.jpg]

[image=http://designerfabricoutlet.ca/images/44001lg.jpg]

I'm thinking I like the first one the most, except I can't tell if theres any red in the actual robe's trim. What do you guys think? Has anyone else found anything else?

19. KEDA

KEDA Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    i think the last one..
    but thats what i think so.......

20. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    It looks to me that hte arm trim is more of a grecian/greek type of pattern...
    The velvet in person seemed to have an iridescence-it looked really blue in some light, and then more purpley-indigo when the light hit it differently.
    I would say it would have to be cut first, and then smocked or ruched...you will just have to figure out how to make it so when it is scrunched down, that it is the right size...this definitely is one of my AOTC favourites.
    Trisha did say it was hand-smocked in the talks at CII...

21. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Thanks MIRAX for the description from CII.
    I do a lot of hand smocking and it is a time consuming-but rewarding type of handwork. It is a dying artform of needlework. The traditional/English and Australian form of smocking is done like this: You must eith hand pleat rows into your fabric, pr run your fabric through a pleater (not Velvet because it will get crushed) The pleasts are a standard distance apart (like 3/4") The pleats are all uniform and are held in place by quilting thread. These threads create rows--you then work your embroidery stitches ontop of the pleats. The pleats are heavily starched and then the holding threads are removed thus keeping the stiches and accoridan pleats in place. The end result is a very uniform design with a pleated background. Here's a website with some examples and smocking supplies.
    smocking site

Australian Smocking, Creative Needle and Sea Beautiful are all publications for hand smockers.
    Again, my version and knowledge of smocking is VERY different than the "smocking" on this particular garment. I figured I have some expertise in this arena and would bounce off my thoughts to ya'll.
    What do you think??? Is it smocked or runched??

22. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I just thought of this while looking at my skirt, which has rows of pintucks on the front panel that make diamonds. I personally think you're probably going to have to do the runching/smocking before cutting out the pieces, so that the pattern pieces all end up the same.

As for the trim, this picture: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/nightdress/makingof4.jpg has a very good shot of it. To me it looks like it's just blue and gold.

23. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    If there is a way to smock it first, and then cut out the pieces-pray tell.
    I would think that if you did that, that it could cause the cut edges to "undo" while you are cutting, pinning, and sewing.
    Ferdalump-when you smiock the bodices on children's dresses-do you cut first, then smock it down to a certain size? I have never done it, but that seems to be the way to go-I have my daughter's summer dress here-and it looks to be done this way.
    When I sew gathered things, like the many panels of a bassinet skirt-I have to use a pattern piece to keep putting the panel up against to make sure that each side is gathered down to the same size...could the pieces be smocked to size this way? Using a finished size pattern piece as a guide?

24. blueeyes_and_a_smile

Jun 21, 2002
    ah ha! ive got it this time! the trim has black rectangles on it in forward and backward S shapes so it does actually look kina greek but also like 'columns' (you know, the game ?)

25. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    QS- When I do smocking I work with the fabric as a whole. I pleat it down---and then "block" the design--meaning you pin is down unto a smocking board which has the appropriate size and shape of the piece it is going to be (such as a bodice you would do the width and height of the bodice) you adjust the holding threads and distribute the pleats to fit that pattern piece. You then tie off the threads to hold the shape and steam and starch it to hold it.You of couse leave a seam allowance all around the piece. You then "smock" or embroider the piece on top of the pleats. THEN you ZIGZAG around all the edges (within seam allowance) to secure your end stitches-which have also been tied off. Then you would cut the pieces out and sew them together. DO NOT remove the holding threads until the pieces are stiched together--because the pieces will destort and "grow", once they are sewn together it works nicely to give some elasticity.
    SORRY I'm so lengthy--just trying to be thorough!! If you have more specific smocking questions you can PM me to keep from boring the others! LOL!!
    FERD :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.