main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renaissance_Woman

Renaissance_Woman Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    Just for the record, the Bed, Bath & Beyond curtain and the Meijer tablecloth are in fact the same pattern. However, the tablecloth fabric seems a bit stiffer...perhaps it just has a bit more sizeing on it. I bought the curtain when I saw it in the store, and MIL just brought me the tablecloth from Ohio, so I have a spare if needed. But I think I'll go with the curtain and my own edging since I think it drapes a bit better. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    liannb-

I found a mesh fabric that has the same rose pattern as the actual cape. (The roses are a lighter pink, but the pattern is exactly the same) I scanned in a sample of the fabric at 100% scale. You can print it and trace over it using clear plastic tear away stabilzer (Sulky makes some sold by the roll) in order to make a pattern for embroidering your cape. Just lay the plastic stabilzer with your traced pattern over your netting and embroider away!

http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/capeemb2.jpg

I finally saw the Halloween pattern catalogue with Padme and Anakin on the cover - they used those premade ribbon roses and sewed them onto the corset and the top of the blouse. JoAnns didn't have the patterns in yet though.

-Kay Dee

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    afaeryschild, I can't wait to hear how your gold swirly design comes out! Any tips on how you are going to do it would be much appreciated. ;)

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Thanks kay_dee. That picture helps a lot. I did see the curtain at linens and things but I didn't want to spend $50 to get it.
    liannb

5. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    Where can I find a pic of the Halloween catolouge??

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    You can see the cover of the Simplicity Halloween Catalogue here:

http://simplicity.com/s2a.htm

It is hard to see the details in the photo at the site, but if you go to a fabric store you can see that they sewed on some of those ribbon roses that come in packages. This was inspired by Episode II for sure!

-Kay Dee

7. Astra-Khan

Astra-Khan Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2002
    Thank you so much Obi-Dawn! That was very helpful! I am one of those new people who didn't want to search through 25 pages for the costume. And I hate to ask for more but is it possible for somebody to do this for some of her other dresses too?

Thank you again Obi-Dawn!

-Khan

8. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    liannb,

Yes, I plan on cutting out and
    sewing around the edges really
    small.. hopefully almost
    invisible. Here is a sad, but
    hopefully helpful sketch on how
    I plan to do the cut outs.

The gold swirl pattern is coming
    along! YAY! But I think I am going
    cross eyed... hehe... I am going to
    embroidery it with matching silk
    thread and do it by hand since my
    machine and I are arguing.

The corset is a long ways off
    for me though... I have to
    finish embroidering the skirt
    and blouse first.. and my pesky
    life keeps interfering!!

Must keep priorities straight! ;)

9. Catatonic-Van

Catatonic-Van Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    ::retail slave at Joanns:: we just got that blasted pattern in the day I brought in photos of my costume to show the girls! I was putting away some Home dec. stuff and dropped everything on the floor(oops) so I could cry out in agony.. The pattern is on it's own little display shelf on the pattern cabinets in my store.

Does anyone feel a gripe about the pattern? It's like, we've been doing all this work and research to perfect our costumes. Then simplicity tosses this out in the playing field so everyone else can make the costume with ease. Granted it's not perfect, but it does kind of irritate me..

Oh yah! ^_^ Kay dee, thanks for the info on how to find that ribbon. I can't wait to go!

-Van

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Van - I honestly don't think the Simplicity pattern is that much better than what we have been using. I could see it being useful for making the blouse, but I think there are better patterns for the corset and skirt out there. Don't be too bummed out ;)

-Kay Dee

11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, even the Simplicity LOTR pattern needs work to make it look very close to any of Arwen's gowns. In my opinion, the only really good movie pattern they've come out with is the one for Shakespeare in Love, although the Titanic one isn't quite so bad either, for a easy version of two of Rose's gowns.

So, I'll probably buy this one, but only for that blue dress, and not to use for SW. I'd much rather spend the time and effort making a more accurate (and visually pleasing) reproduction of the picnic gown.

12. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    It's kind off annoying to see the pattern after all the trouble I've gone to deciding what patterns to go with, but I prefer what I've used to that pattern. I like my sleeves and skirt much more. liannb

13. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I am biting my nails off right now!!!

My corset fabric is in the dye bath right now! I am so scared to see the results... I've never dyed anything before. I hope I don't mess this up!

Oh well, we'll find out in 15 minutes or so!

Question for you dye experts: After I take it out of the dye bath and rinse it, what do I do? Let the fabric hang to dry?

14. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Good Luck Mrs M! Don't fret it will turn out great :)
    As far as drying--as long as you rinse it ok, and the fabric can tollerate it I usually just use my dryer. When I was dyeing the Pastel dress I used a clothes line drying system because I didn't want to colors to touch until they were dry. If you use the dryer just make sure you clean it out after wards or you might have yellow/gold underwear and socks. :) Basically you want it to dry evenly so go with your gut.
    Ferd

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, the dye bath is done. Judging from the color of the fabric while it's still wet, it turned out pretty good. It is slightly darker in some areas, but not enough to make a difference. Besides, it is on the corners of the fabric, which may end up in the scrap pile after I cut out my pieces.

The fabric is in the washer right now, getting rinsed. I'm going to go ahead and use the dryer to dry it. I think it's going to turn out ok, and I like the color so far. [face_clown]

I guess my next step is sewing the front together and then doing the embroidery. Those of you who have done the embroidery, did you embroider it all in before you sewed the lining in? It seems like that would be the best way to do it, but embroidery is new to me too!

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Woo! Mrs_M is finally starting! :p

I sew the corset fabric pieces to their interfacing pieces before I start embroidering. It helps give it more body. With the one I'm doing now it actually has three layers of fabric: the outer crinkly fabric, the inner fabric which gives off a yellowish undertone because the outer fabric is a tiny bit sheer, and then the interfacing. I sew the lining on after the embroidery and boning is all done.

So, how's it looking? How's it looking?

I keep obsessing over whether or not to even think about trying the 'cut-out' squares. I have that underfabric already sewn in so it's possible it could work. Anybody got any suggestions about the best way to go about it? I should have cut them out from the very start...but, you know, I like to make things difficult for myself. LOL!

17. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I was thinking about those "squares" too, Dawn. What I thought about doing is cutting "slits" in the fabric and lacing a ribbon through them, you know? Does that make sense? I'm gonna try it out on scrap fabric first, so that I don't ruin my corset if it doesn't work.

LOL -- part of me thinks I should just forget about it, but I'm such an accuracy freak. I want this to be perfect! And if there's something on the actual dress that's not on my costume...well I know I won't be satisfied! [face_clown]

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You are in for a massive amount of work then! :p (It's so worth it though!)

19. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Sure, guys, just raise that bar again for the rest of us! :) If you all are going to try the squares and the gold swirls, I'm gonna do it, too. Afterall, we're in this together, right? Picnic Dress Perfectionists unite! ;)

Regards,
    M.

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You go Mirax! :D

See, it's all afaeryschild's fault! She's the one who started talking about doing the gold swirlies! :p

edit: Mirax, have you made your corset mock-up yet? I'm really happy that you are also re-doing the whole thing. I feel like we are picnic kindred spirits since we went through making the first one together here too!

21. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh, Dawn, I like that! Picnic kindred spirits. :) Are you an Anne of Green Gables fan, too by chance?

No mock-up yet. I'm in the middle of repainting my house right now, so I've been putting off starting any sewing projects until that's done. Duty before pleasure, right? :) And, I keep saying I'm going to make a dress form before I even cut out the pattern so there will be no mistakes. (Ok, note to self, go to hardware store and buy the stuff for dressform! This week! No more excuses. ;) )

I think you're going to get way ahead of me on this one, Dawn. I've got three weeks til school starts back up, so it's going to be a slow process. But, that's not a bad thing. No deadline this time means it will look that much more perfect. :)

Regards,
    M.

PS - Yes, let's put all the blame on afaeryschild for our obsessiveness. ;) Good thinking!

22. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Mirax and Obi-Dawn, I just have to jump in to the Anne of Green Gables/kindred spirits talk. LOL!! Anne is the reason I dyed my hair RED. Aren't we all just searching for a Bussom Friend? :)
    So glad I found some here--Picnic Dress Kindred Spirits.

OK...I'm leaving now-can't think about Picnic dresses right now--must sew other things.
    Ferd :)

23. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)

I cannot help it though! The beauty
    of this dress is in the details! The
    many, many, many details! ;)

I love Anne!! My best friend is a red
    head so we were obsessed as
    children and... well we still are!

This is why I love this thread! So
    many wonderful kindred spirits.. or
    picnic kindred spirits.. well put!

MiraxT, I know what you mean! I
    have school, a job and now I am
    moving! :( Maybe I'll be done
    by 2003?

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I can't decide about cutting out the gold squares. I have gold satin underneath my crinkle fabric so it would look ok if I cut it out but with my luck I'd probably screw it up. I sewed just the top two layers of my corset together before doing the embroidery. I was extremely stupid and after getting the top of the corset the right size I trimmed off all the edges before pinning the lining together therefore making it harder to get the lining the match the top, but of course i was to impatient to start the embroidery to wait to get the lining together.

other problems, started to emboider the roses onto my corset only to find out #1 the pink ribbon I bought was too wide, didn't know they came in different widths, so I figured I just cut it down the centre to get it the right size which was fine except while I was doing the embroidey it was fraying very badly, but I trimmed it up and it was ok, then #2 I was sitting with it in front of the computer looking at the photo only to realize I bought the wrong colour pink, so I had to rip the whole thing out and buy more ribbon. This time the colours dead on thankfully. What a pain.
    liannb, i love anne of green gables.

25. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    hey all,

I finally figured out what you're talking about with "gold squares"! The first time I looked at the close-up, I missed it. But a couple minutes ago I looked again and see it. But how do you keep that from fraying?!?

man...I'd better start on this dress NOW if I want people to do it with!!! :-( But I'm going with the light blue Tatooine and Zam Wesell first. Gotta start easy. I am, however, going to buy the Simplicity pattern for this dress when it goes on sale in a couple weeks. Then when I'm ready to start this dress, I'll have a base pattern to modify.

-sky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.