main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Picnic Dress v2.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    It sounds great Ferd!! I definitely want to see pic! :)

And Mirax, your picnic gown is lovely!

Maggie

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey FERD, wanna be my interior designer? ;) What you're doing sounds lovely! *swoon*

Mirax, your fireplace pics are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them. :) I was so excited to a)see a picnic clad fan in the Insider and b)realize that it was you!

Petite_Padme, I can host your pics if you still need a site for them. Send me a private message and we can set it up, because I know everyone would love to see your dress!

3. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Our picnic dress will be on it's way to New York City next week. It is a finalist in a national costume contest.
    I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

4. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Padme picnic dress hair tutorial:

What do you need? :)

-waist long hair
    - Fabric strokes
    -plastic fume roll-up things (thank god, I have a picture of this)
    -big and small pins
    -something to make a bun with (see picture above)
    -hairnet
    -hairspray
    -styling mousse

- 1padme picnic dress head-ribbon
    - 3 other ribbons
    - 2 golden buns

Wash your hair, make it half-dry and then put lots of styling mousse in it. Blow-dry it, until it?s just a little moist.
    Then take the plastic rollers, and roll them on top of your head. The plastic rollers make better curls then the fabric strokes do, and further on you will need some good curls from the top of your head to place them on the side of your face.
    Take the fabric strokes and role the rest of your hair with them. Just take a little part of your hair, make a knot at the end of your hair with the fabric stroke, roll it up and make another knot on top of your head.
    Near the end, you should look like this:
    Hairspray it, put the hairnet over your superb hair-creation, and let it stay overnight.
    The next morning, take the fabric strokes and plastic rollers out one by one, and spray the curls individual with hairspray.

Now, separate 2 good curls to hang aside your face. Take the top part of your hair and put the elastic in it, then take the ribbon, run it across your forehead and under the top part of your hair.
    Make a bun out of that part of your hair. Make sure the bun is high on your head. Secure it with pins.
    Take the other part of your hair, and tie it with the 3 ribbons. Next secure the 2 golden buns on your head with a lot of pins. Take the 2 curls you kept apart, see this picture how you should secure it on your head, because I have some difficulties to describe it :p . You basically pull the curl to the back of your head and then guide it to the front again. Secure the curl.

Well that?s about it. I hope this has been of any help to you. If you have problems or have questions, you can always ask me, and I will see if I can help you

Tenyon

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow Tenyon, what a great hair tutorial! Good timing too - I'm in the middle of doing the new Picnic Thread consolidation summary and I will be sure to add a link to it on the section on hair!

-Kay Dee

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Great stuff, Tenyon. :)

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've finally managed to get some digital photos of my corset, click here

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks fantastic Obi Anne!

9. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Ooooh - Beautiful Embroidery Obi-Anne! What an accomplishment :)

Thanks for sharing the photos!

-Kay Dee

10. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Great job Obi-Anne, It's amazing how many different approaches people take to the embroidering, it never occured to me to do the outline first then fill in the flames. Liann

Edit: I've emailed MacCulloch and Wallis about the cape fabric they sell and they are sending me a sample.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Obi-Anne, it's beautiful. An accomplishment, indeed! :D Congrats on finishing the embroidery.

liann, I look forward to hearing about the fabric sample.

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Liann, I felt that it was good to get it all outlined first, so that I could correct anything if had turned out wrong, without having to redo everything.

Another thing I thought about today; It's winter here and I've seen quite a lot of people with ear muffs, the warm fluffy sort. I think that you could quite easily turn a pair of ear muffs into the head buns, especially if you are making the dress for a small girl and don't want to involve a lot of hair pins. You find a pair of light coloured or brown ear muffs, cover them with some fake hair and then put a gold net over them, when you want to wear them you would put them on and then comb your own hair over the plastic thing that goes between the ears.

13. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Way to go, Obi-Anne! It looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it all finished!

Regards,
    M.

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've started embroidering vines on the cape now. As I see it the cape will consist of several stages.

1. cut it out and hem it - done
    2. sew on 30 pre-made rosed - done
    3. connect the roses with vines - in progress
    4. fill out the areas between the vines and pre-made roses with embroidered roses
    5. replace the pre-made roses with embroidered roses
    6. add leaves and roses where I think it is needed.

The good thing is that I'm able to use the cape once I finished one stage and before I start the next one. I feel that the dress needs a cape, even if it isn't totally completed.

15. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    Wow! Obi-Anne your embroidery looks absolutely amazing! :) Verrry beautiful! :D

Good idea on the ear muffs thing, never thought of that one. It's a very economic way to make qute looking head buns.

And this dress does indeed needs a cape, it makes the dress more 'lovely' more princess like, with all those little roses on it :) . Good luck :)

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have made vines around about a third of the roses, it takes time, even if it's easy.

17. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I received the cape fabric sample. The embroidery is exactly the same as the movie but it is on a white organza. it is 33.19 pounds a metre about $61 US, $80 cdn. code number is 24914 rose/green embroidered organza. I'll try to get a picture of it up this week. liann

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoah! That's some expensive fabric! Thanks for all the research and info on this, liann.

How many roses are in the clusters?

(I just realized how completely geektastical it is of me to be concerned with whether there are three or four roses in a cluster.... [face_laugh] )

19. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    The roses are in clusters of three, they are in varying shades of pink same as the original the leaves and vines are in varying shades of green.
    I have some not so good photos of it here
    liann

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've been out today searching the whole town for chiffon for the skirt and blouse, and I really don't have any luck. The chiffons are either too dark or way too light. I have one last chance of finding a perfect fabric, otherwise I will have to use the too dark chiffon. It has the same colour has the darkest part of the swirls on the corset, so it looks really good, but it isn't as close to the original as I want it to be.

On the plus side, I've found a store that carries McCall patterns, and they also had a trim with flowers that would be perfect to cut out and sew on to the skirt, until I get enough with the beads that I'm ordering.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    ObiAnne, have you considered maybe dyeing your own chiffon? I know finding fabric in the right shade was impossible for me, so I had to dye my own.
    I'm sure whatever you pick out will look gorgeous, but I just don't want you to always think to yourself that your dress isn't as accurate as you wanted it to be.

liann, the roses on that fabric look PERFECT! Gah! I'm so torn over whether or not I should invest in a new cape or not....You mentioned that the base fabric is white? Are you going to try dyeing it to match? Is it a silk or a poly organza? *sigh* It's so pretty. :)

22. Tenyon

Sep 12, 2003
    I also found exact the same fabric that was used for the cape, and it's also in white, so you have to dye it. But it is REALLY expensive, 50 euro a metre. But I am considering to buy it. Liann, do the flowers become a bit darker when you dye the fabric?

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've checked the options for dyeing, but they don't have any reall good dyes available around here. They are just pure yellow, and no brown colours that I could mix them with.

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm not sure if its silk or poly. I don't know if I'm going to get it or not, its so expensive. I've never died organza before so I'm not sure how it would take, depending how long you had to keep it in the dye the flower might change colour slightly. I scanned the fabric on my scanner and it came out better than with the camera liann

25. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hi Everyone,

Since I posted to the "My Wedding Dress" thread, I thought I should mention it here, too. I'm getting married in June and I'm sewing my own dress. :) I've decided to borrow some of the Picnic Dress elements for my dress. (It really does get into your blood!)

I've been working on a muslin mock-up (actually, the second version, but long story.) Anyway, yesterday, it occurred to me to try the PD cape with it. I pulled my as-yet-unfinished cape out and tried it. I really liked how it looked, but I'm not sure yet if it will add to the overall dress or look silly.

I'm trying to envision wearing a cape in wedding photos and that's where I'm stuck. I was wondering what my fellow caped-picnickers might think. Have you had pictures with you in your cape holding someone's arm or any other poses? (I never finished mine, so I've yet to wear my picnic dress with a cape.) Any pros or cons you could add would be helpful.

Regards,
    M.

(Now you know why my poor PD 2.0 is STILL on hold. :) Back to work on that this summer, I swear! Only 14 months til CIII.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.