main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's ROTS Blue Dressing Gown

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by cathiecat, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    anyone have any ideas on where to find the material.. very smooth/soft feeling.. furry, hairy soft chenille is what it looks like..though I am not sure that is what it is..the ROTS Blue Dressing Gown.. the dress she wears when she talks to Obi Wan about Anakin.

the more I look.. it definitely does not look like chenille.. it looks like that silky material you see easter bunnies and the like made out of..

2. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Check your local wal-mart supercenter fabric department. They (at least where I am) all have eyelash fabric (its probably the stuff you are talking about, but I have never looked at the names.) in different colors that looks like what you are describing.

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    kewl.. thank you..perhaps MJDS will let me go to walmart after I go to get my staples removed on Monday.. this would be an easy dress for me to work on from bed by hand. I can no longer wear my Shaak Ti headpiece for the next six months to a year.. and I need a new costume for events.. I am not a small person.. so I can pull off a pregnant Padme' I look just like I am carrying a bun in the oven. though I am not at all.. I am just that much of a fatty in the tummy [face_blush] 8-}. Granted since surgery I have been losing weight.. but even at my smallest ever.. my large bone frame is never gonna pull off any of Padme's more revealing outfits. Plus I figure Pregnant Padme' has to be at least a little bit careful.. and since I can't bend, lift, or twist for awhile.. this seems to be the best choice for my new costume look.

I don't know.. anyone have any other ideas if not this one.. I need a new costume for our fan force events.. I just had back surgery and am on restriction for three/six months to a year on my outtings and what I am allowed to do with my body.. I think Pregnant Padme' is my best bet.. though the guys amusingly thought Dead Padme' was the way to go.. that I could just lie still and they could carry me through the streets/aisles of the event area.. I tend to think that would scare the kids.. though me then getting up and walking around would be awesome.. I could be Padme' Lives!!

4. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Lol cathie cat!! Padme lives! I love it! :)

Hey, I feel ya on the large bone frame. It's the german side of the family, lol. I'm getting thinner, but right with ya, I'll never be a small as padme is lol. :) But that's alright... episode 3 costumes are pretty... and maybe I will do a episode 2 once in a while.

I hope you get better soon from the surgery. I think this padme outfit you are going to make is very beautiful. Also, to save you some time, you may have seen all this already, but I'll go ahead and put it up anyways:

Alright, now here's the making of page:
    http://padawansguide.com/bluerobe_makingof.shtml

there's allot of information on this page of fan ideas and places to get the various things you'll need to make it 'perfect'. :) You may need to copy and paste the link, if it doesn't work.

Now also, the real thing has an underdress which we really never see, but if you so feel inclined to make it, there is a pattern that is absolutely perfect for it that doesn't require any alterations. it is below, view c on the package (the padawansguide lady used it, otherwise I wouldnt' know it was view c.)
    http://www.costumersguide.com/robe/4996.jpg

And here's a gallery of pictures of the robe.
    http://padawansguide.com/bluerobe_gallery.shtml

I hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them all!!

Take care and God bless!
    ~Nidrail

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    thank you so much.. I had not seen these pages at all.. this will help immensely!

6. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Once upon a time there was another thread on this costume, but I couldn't find it! Oh well!

Both myself and princesslesa have made this costume - she used one of those furry fleeces that were really big last winter, and I used a fabric.com poodleknit fabric that they no longer have.

However, Hancock still has a nice navy silky fleece online that would work well:
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=21818&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=silky+fleece

My writeup on how I made mine is here:
    http://www.costumersguide.com/maggie_costumes/padme_robe.html

A few of us had custom trim made to match the original and it turned out really well - it's a bit pricy so it depends on how accurate you want to go. If you are interested in the Padme trim, you can email Suomynona Couture at suomynonacouture@earthlink.net - you can see pics of the trim on my page.

PrincessLesa's page on her costume is here:
    http://www.lesawilliams.com/Padme/Dressing_Robe.htm

And the Padawan's Guide page, which someone already pointed you to is here:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/bluerobe.shtml

Good luck!

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    thank you.. tutorials will help me so much.. when you say pricey.. just how pricey do you mean? Because I do want it fairly accurate.. or is it already in the link you sent me.

8. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I also made a version of this gown... mailny as a robe to wear around the house cause it was cold this winter, but it's getting upgrades to match the original. To answer your question about the trim, I think it ended up costing somewhere around...50 bucks a yard minus ten percent, according to the padawansguide.com. But it looks dead on... I lust after that stuff for my own.

I used the same fabric that padawansguide used, and I liked it. If I were to re-make it, I might go for something a bit.. denser? And a tad bit more on the really dark purple side. I honestly think this was a custom dye job.

But that's just my .02

~Laura

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Jedilucass do you have any photos of your finished gown.

10. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... yes, I do have pics, although the lighting is terrible in them. Here's a half shot... I"d take more, but I'm re-doing the trim right now.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/gunslingerpadme/finishedhalfshot2.jpg]

11. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Your gown looks pretty from the photo Jedilucass!

One of these days I'll be making this costume too. I got the blue fleece from Hancock fabrics thanks to the advise of Princess_Lesa. It's a little heavier than some other eyelash knits I've seen, but the color and length of the pile seems good so I'll stick with it. However, I can't imagine wearing this around at a hot summer convention all day! I better make the nightgown look really good because I can just see myself needing to take off the robe for a breather now and then.

Oh, I ordered the trim Maggie had custom made. For a while I was contemplating making my own trim. But I know myself, and sometimes after doing a labor intensive costume I like to go the easy route with one. Why kill myself when the custom trim is so close to the real stuff.

I think I'll probably make the head piece out of sintra. I know it will be trickier than foam but after playing with some this weekend I really like how solid it is.

- Kay Dee

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    hmm sintra.. I have a friend that is good with sintra.. keep us posted on how this goes.. I am curious as he has a lot left over from a previous project.. anything to save [face_money_eyes]

Jedilucass.. your gown looks great! I am so excited to get my material.. but I have to get my wedding gown and my daughter's wedding gown done first.. however I am not sewing them.. can't lean over the sewing machine for several months still.. a friend's mother-in-law has offered to do all the sewing for me.. so I am just looking for pointers to give to her.. and of course I can do the beading and tassels from bed and my comfy chair..

13. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh, the way my costume schedule looks I won't be doing this until the very end of the year or next year. I do plan to make a Padme head band out of Sintra and styrene strips for the project I'm working on now (deleted EP II family gown). So I was just playing with boiling, curving, sanding, and applying CA adhesive to the porous edges of the sintra to seal them. I then sanded the edges to make it all rounded and smooth. I think for this costume I'd have to make some kind of mold of my head shape (maybe wire mesh reinforced with plaster strips?), draw on the design, then apply each cut and softend strip one by one onto the head form following the outlines of the template.

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.