main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh Comicon 09

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by del, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    My husband is a member of the Comicon mailing list/forum, and they have said that the date for this year's Con has changed to September. I think it has something to do with the toy show. Will you guys still be there for the Con and/or the toy show?

2. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    does a taun-taun pee in the snow?

3. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Ugh, Dragon*Con is the weekend before.

4. SpinceLarrin

SpinceLarrin Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2008
    Hey all sorry been a while... got to love a hellish work schedule...

anyway, going to try and see if I can get all 3 Spirits of the Force Movies and play them at the Con... Give them a little east coast debut!

5. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    sweet! does that mean the third one is done?

6. SpinceLarrin

SpinceLarrin Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2008
    the third one is being released on friday the 6th @ spiritsofthecorce.com

7. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    By Odin's Beard! AWESOME.

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/2959021798_469412eedc_o.jpg]

8. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    I was thinking about things to do this year. I'll do the Action Figure customizing thing again, and hopefully have something good to show this year [face_whistling]

Are we still doing a tattoo contest?

Other ideas for presentations:

Lightsaber building / modding. (i can take a stab at this. I think Bonnie did one a few years back before i joined up with you guys)

Fanfic writing (Chris & Michele?)

costuming (Bonnie you would rule for this imho.)

Fanfilm making (Spince?)

Prop building

Any other ideas? Its not too early to start thinking about this stuff. After I-Con I'm feeling really energized about this.

9. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    After two years of talking amongst ourselves during the costuming panel, I am not interested in doing another one.

10. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    yea but, you're so good at it!

:-B

11. del

Jul 4, 2008
    I'm really psyched about Pittsburgh now. I convinced my husband to dress up for the first time. We just got the first piece of his costume.
    [image=[​IMG]]

12. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
  13. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    Stan Lee is signed on to appear @ Pittsburgh Comicon!!!

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Stan's autograph is $40, which means I will now be able to charge at least $50. Sweet!

15. Jedi_Heather27

Jedi_Heather27 Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2008
    Hey everyone, haven't been around in awhile. Most people probably won't even remember me. Does anyone know if anyone from the Star Wars universe is going to attend the Comicon in September?

16. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
  17. DarthHooper

DarthHooper Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2008
    And so will I!!!

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh Panels for 2009

Crafting and Scifi ? Combine your love of crafting and science fiction/fantasy. Crochet, knitting, sewing and other techniques will be demonstrated and discussed.

Custom Figures ? Can?t find that perfect J?Quille figure or want to create your own original characters in 3 ¾? form? This panel will go over the basics of customizing figures. Q&A during the panel.

Props ? Lightsabers, weapons, and holocrons, oh my. Create props with just random bits and a bit of know how.

How to Be Evil ? An introductory course co-sponsored by the Pittsburgh branch of the Evil League of Evil.

Surviving the Big Cons ? Tricks and tips for getting the most out of the Big Cons.

Trek V Wars Trivia Challenge ?Teams representing Star Wars and Star Trek will be asked trivia questions from their own and other fandoms to determine which fans can claim the title of UberFans.

Fandoms We Love to Hate ? Furries, sparkling vampires and the eternal struggle between Trek and Wars.

Planning a SciFi Vacation ? Science fiction and fantasy themed vacations.

TENTATIVE

Collecting ? Co-sponsored by the DC Area Collectors

Anime 101 ? An introduction to the world of anime, including characters and terminology.

How To Get Published ? The basics of how to get that precious manuscript of yours into print.

Zombies in Literature -- Discussion on the shambling undead in literature.

SciFi and the Cold War --- How the Cold War influenced science fiction in movies, television and literature.

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Sci-Fi and the Cold War. Sounds cool. Wargames FTW!

20. del

Jul 4, 2008
    Hey Christine, I know you had asked me about doing a panel on Women in SciFi/Comics/Fantasy, etc. I'm sorry, but I don't see how I'd be able to do the research in time. I've been pretty busy with work and getting my husband's and my costumes finished, and life in general. My father had a heart attack last month, and it's been all surgery and aftercare appointments until recently. You and I haven't really talked about the panel since Steel City Con and it's not on your list in this thread, so I'm assuming that you weren't really worried about it. I hope that hasn't left anyone high and dry, but there's no way I can design a panel like that on my own - it's just too massive a topic. If anyone else ends up doing it, I'd be glad to contribute some comic book knowlege. Also if you'd want me to bring some finished stuff to the customs panel or talk about non-SW custom figures(aspects like sewing, hair rerooting, etc), I'd be cool with that. As I told Cern, I have projects in the works for SW customs, but haven't finished any just yet. Most of mine are 6"(DC Direct) or 8"(Mego).

21. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    ok. Good to have you on the custom panel. :) could you pm me your full name again, so I can add you to the list. thnx.

22. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Panels for the September Comicon. (the next comicon is in April, for which I'm hoping to have a much more extensive panel list)

Panels for Saturday:
    11-12 Custom figures and Prop building
    12- 1 How to Survive the Big Cons
    1-2 Crafting and Scifi
    2-3 Scifi Vacations

Panels for Sunday
    Anime 101 (time to be announced)

Sunday is also the kids room. As always, folks will be needed to work the table.

23. del

Jul 4, 2008
    Hey greencat and CernStormrunner, I had sent you both private messages containing my email address. Did either of you get them?

24. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I got your email and forwarded it to Neil. Hopefully you have heard back from him. :)

Also, I need to know who is going to work the table at comicon. Please let me know ASAP. (which day and what hours)

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Schedule for comicon:

No one will really be there on Friday. I'll see if I can get in on Thursday evening to set up the table. Saturday, while SWAP folks aren't in panels, it would be good to be at the table. I'm going to try to put together some charity fundraising thing. Maybe the trivia wheel, rather than a raffle. Sunday, Michele will be in the kids room, and again, folks will be needed at the table. I have to leave early Sunday afternoon because of a family thing.

Panels:

Saturday
    11 - 12 "Creating custom figures and props" -- Neil, Jack, Amy

12 - 1 "Surviving the Big cons" -- Chris, Michele, Rebecca(maybe)

1 - 2 "Crafting and Sci-fi" -- Chris, Rebecca

2 - 3 "Getting Published" -- Paul A. (friend of Chris)

Sunday
    10 - 5 Kids Room -- Michele, James (nephew of Chris), Neil (as needed)

12 - 1 "Anime 101" -- Rebecca

1 -- 2 "planning your sci fi vacation" -- Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.