main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Edited by ObiWan506 on February 4th, 2009

Long-Term VIP and Titles:

2. Anyone involved in LFL or commercially-available SW product. (this also includes editors, LFL employees, etc.)

3. TF.n Staff

4. Colors: Font Color must be red, Background Color must be transparent, and Border Color (if used) must be red. All remaining styles may be used and manipulated while a long-term VIP.

Ex Mods/Managers:

Colors: Font Color can be any color except for the specific options of Green and Blue. You can use the various shades of those colors, but not the exact color. Background Color must be transparent and Border Color (if used) must match the Font Color. All remaining styles may be used and manipulated.

Short-Term VIP and Titles:

5. MS-approved game winners and/or participants

6. - One week duration
    - Game hosts may only have VIP status during the duration of the current game they are hosting.
    - Exception: Big Brother: One person for two weeks. The other for one month.
    - Exception: EUC Chancellor. Duration 90 days.
    - Exception: SWC Chancellor. Duration one month.

7. MS-approved banner contest winners

8. - One month duration

Colors: All styles may be used and manipulated while a short-term VIP with the exception of the EUC Chancellor as the long-standing policy is the VIP must use the default VIP colors.

Titles Only:

9. None

10. Anyone who has a title now that is a regular user will have the title removed. Anyone who is a VIP that should no longer be one because it has long since expired will have the VIP and title removed. Your contributions to the site are noticed, very much appreciated, and we thank you so much for it.

From here on out, please feel free to add a title or talk of your contributions in your signature. As moderators, we will also try to do more to publicly thank you for your efforts be it in a thread, a Mod Squad update, or some other form of personal thanks.

The current EUC Chancellor will keep the VIP and title until the end of the term. Then the VIP and title will be removed. The new duration for keeping the VIP and title for subsequent EUC Chancellors will be 90 days.

I created a Mod Squad thread dedicated solely to who received a VIP status and title, why, and when it expires. The moderator who granted the title and VIP status will also need to report they also removed it when it was time. This should help keep track of things in one central location.

This is considered policy. Feel free to discuss and share your thoughts and reactions in here, but realize this is the result of a lengthy Mod Squad discussion, lots of user input, a vote, and a decision that comes from the mods who represent all the forums.

Thanks. :)

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Sounds good, with one minor exception.

"Exception: EUC Chancellor. Duration 90 days."

I still have no idea what this person does, or why their VIP status is so necessary.

12. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Excellent, it looks great. It will be really nice to have this more closely watched. We had way too many people carrying VIP status far longer than they should have because of mod transitions and then things were forgotten. :(

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good work :).

14. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I feel so naked. :p

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    You look good to me. [face_love]

16. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Why was removing everyone's titles necessary?

17. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    In a related question, how come Amazing doesnt have VIP-red in his name anymore ? What happened there ?

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    DanakinSkywalker: Please read the explanation in my initial post. The title distribution went way beyond its initial intention. Thanks for your understanding. :)

DVader316: An ex-mod is given the choice of whether they want VIP status and a title. AmazingB did not want it. There are many ex-mods who chose the same thing. A recent person I can think of is Mara_Jade_Fan.

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Why was removing everyone's titles necessary?

Because there were so many people with titles and/or VIP status that having it became largely meaningless.

We'd like to see it return to the situation where having colours or a title actually means something important.

I think its a great idea.

20. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah, I did read it. Icon artists aren't that important anymore?

21. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Then you didn't read it completely. Your work is important and extremely appreciated. We will try very hard to let you know how appreciated you are. Personally, as an artist, I'd feel quite appreciated when I saw my icon uploaded. Beyond that, we will try to give more public thanks in threads and updates.

22. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Ah, I see. Id been wondering about that for a few weeks now. Thanks, Sape.

In another related question, should people who were mods for like two weeks get long term VIP colors ? I mean, if theyre gone that quickly than personally I dont think that they really earned their colors, you know ? Why should they be rewarded for that ?

23. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Before a debate starts, I just want to say that my primary motivation was and will be to see my work here (and this is for all artists). I'm more concerned about my icons up for voting than my title status.

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Before a debate starts, I just want to say that my primary motivation was and will be to see my work here (and this is for all artists). I'm more concerned about my icons up for voting than my title status.

Of course we know that. It goes without saying. We hope that's the feeling across the board.

DVader316: All they needed to be was a moderator to meet the criteria.

25. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Before a debate starts, I just want to say that my primary motivation was and will be to see my work here (and this is for all artists).

And I think remvoing the titles helps remind us of that. :) Good attitude!

26. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Personally I see it more as using someones work without giving them proper credit for it. But whatever works...

27. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Icon artists aren't that important anymore?

Far from it. Everyone appreciates the hard work of the icon artists and banner makers. However, the point of spending the time and effort making the graphics is to see your work on display at TFn, not to get a title.

A long time ago I had a banner upload (which is still up), and an icon uploaded too. Just seeing them on the boards was enough for me.

Furthermore, a few of the banner makers / icon makers have said they'll happily contribute to the site without title or VIP award.

28. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Personally I see it more as using someones work without giving them proper credit for it. But whatever works...

If you don't want your work used, don't submit it.

29. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Can one of you moderator or admin folk explain the EUC Chancellor thing to me (and anyone else who has no idea what they do)?

It looks to me like it's no more important than most other people who had titles, except they possibly had a mod or two who thought they were more important, so the rest of the MS said "fine, whatever, I'm too lazy to argue".

30. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I still don't understand why some people think making icons is only worth it if you get rewarded with a title.

In a related question, how come Amazing doesnt have VIP-red in his name anymore ? What happened there ?

I asked to have them removed in a fit of bitter ex-modiness. It feels good to be regular.

Amazing.

31. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Maybe the 'choose your icon' page should have a link to the active and past icon maker page.

32. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Does the removal of titles include FanForce members also? I mean the ones that arent CR's?

33. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The JC policy applies to their titles. For instance, a FF member with a FF title and JC Icon Artist would have the Icon Artist part removed. In fact, I've already edited a number of situations like that.

34. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Members with FanForce related titles will keep those.

(edited for clarity)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.