main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Polls" in this forum? We have 2 options... (3 options, actually!- Proof Inside!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Apr 9, 2002.

?

"Polls" in this forum? We have 2 options...

Poll closed Apr 19, 2002.
  1. Keep them enabled, carry on as we currently are.

26 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. Move Games related polls to "Census" Forum, and have an index thread here that points to t

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I voted to keep the polls here, but really - polls are not that important in games.

"Which ship do you like?"

"Which console?"

etc

I don't care. [face_plain]

2. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    These two options suck. Where's the "No polls shall be created by morons" option? [face_plain]

3. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Good point.

4. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I wish only mods and VIP's could create polls in games instead of having it on either end of the spectrum, but despite my position much earlier on I want the useless polls gone. Get rid of em.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    That would be immoral.

:eek: ....

ROFL!

6. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I voted to keep polls but I wish people would stop making so many idiotic topics for them.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmm.

Option 3

In Terra's Thingie / Welcome to Games / FAQ we come up with strict guidelines on polls.

Any polls created that don't fall within this forum's poll policy will be closed, then after a day, deleted.

Terra's Thingie / Welcome to Games / FAQ will be a continual work in progress. Expect v1.0 to go live within a week.

8. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I think we need to call it Terra's Proposal. Referring to his "thingie" just seems awkward. ;)

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Seconded, and... carried.

10. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I voted for polls. Discussion is still possible with polls. Whats the big deal, if it's a stupid poll it will fall off the front page and die just like a stupid thread will fall off the front page and die. If you have something against polls don't post in them and let them die.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nice theory. But often times a poorly constructed thread or poll is upped by the starter.

Or by grumpy oldbies moaning in it.

A lot of tension and rudeness in this forum would disappear if people simply kept out of the topics that didn't interest them.

Goodness knows they do that in YJCC or wherever.

Any ideas on how to change the posting habits of grumpy oldbies without resorting to trivial spankings? I'm open to suggestion.

12. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    The stats say different.

What is your favourite SW space combat game?

36 votes, yet only 18 replies, divided between 15 people. One of those was me arguing, and another was BH2999, so doesn't count either.

Best Battle of Endor Mission (the fleet)

14 votes, yet only 2 replies out of the 10 that actually apply to the poll (excluding the author). The rest are BH2999 and me arguing, and long-term members pissing on polls.

When did you start playing video games?

21 replies, a fine 20 of which apply to the question. However, this still leaves 23 of the 44 individual voters who have not really contributed. And it's a worthy question, for a change.

Best PC Game Star Wars Game Ever?

Bad grammar encapsulates a 37-vote poll with only 15 replies. 14 useful. Again, the lacking one was mine, arguing against Trekkie's fondness for polls and useless threads.

X-wing alliance- what is your favorite fighter?

21 replies, 14 of which are useful discussion. But again, this is out of 38 voters.

Now I'm pissed off at this. I'm all for off-topic discussion, but when threads are redundant and polls do not add anything to discussion, there's very little point.

By my calculation, and it is very arguable, the average amount of useful discussion in these particular polls is A MERE 35%. And that's just the front page. Imagine what goes on in those that HAVEN'T survived?

13. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm all for trivial spankings. Martyr to the cause, that's me...

A lot of tension and rudeness in this forum would disappear if people simply kept out of the topics that didn't interest them.

They're not necessarily disinteresting topics, the subject matter is just abused. I'm sure there's been four or five editions of favourite XWA fighters, a different set of choices for each. Not to mention all of the "best game" polls.

When there is such a variety of choices, and discussion points, there is little point in a poll. Usually there is no need for a thread at all, there's often one that will serve the need. With only two or three replies as it is, probably.

To be honest, the only thing I'd be satisfied with is is JP pre-approves poll topics, either by posting them in census (which probably wouldn't work, to be honest), or by opening and closing poll permission so he can post them himself on this board. The best overall option is the third one, I'm sure.

14. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3 option 3

15. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    FORCE BOAT! ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

16. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  17. Project_Starscream

Project_Starscream Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 7, 2001
    You think me question is a worthy question? I'm flattered :)

18. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    Don't be. My judgment has been laxed by the dumbness of most polls. It sits at the top of a sliding scale...

19. Project_Starscream

Project_Starscream Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 7, 2001
    One good thing about polls is that you can choose an option without having to make your opinion public. Some people want to choose less popular choices but don't because they don't want others to not like them. Polls fix this problem.

20. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    I voted to move them to Census. It seems to me that Pat's objection (that is, never visiting Census) would be obviated by the index thread, which would presumably link to all the Games-related polls over there.

EDIT: P_S, that is one of the main objections to polls, or rather to the habit people have of voting then not posting. If you have an opinion, why are you afraid to say it?

21. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Wipe them out. All of them.

22. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I've been writing some more of my generic banter.

'Jedi Knight: Fight Club'.

A nice 40kb issue where I explain all the basics of Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Mysteries and Outcast to newbies, existing threads, where to look for stuff, and so on and so forth; perhaps this would be well suited in the Index.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah. Send it through!

24. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    You'll have to give me until tomorrow.

Longer than previous submission.

25. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I see that these polls will be moved sooner or later........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.