main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada possible boycott on Canadian goods

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Sniper_Wolf, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    When I was watching the O'Reilly Factor (live in US, get Fox News) and O'Rielly has this idea of "punishing" Canada for what it seems, IMO, not blidnly following the US.
    Personal Story Segment
    Canada boycott?
    Our new BillOReilly.com poll question asks whether or not you will boycott Canadian goods and services if that country grants asylum to the two US Army deserters who are currently being harbored there, and all week the Factor has kept you abreast of developments in the Canadian press that continue to portray the US in a negative light. Bill speaks to Toronto Sun journalist Peter Worthington, who is a proponent for bringing the Fox News Channel to Canada.

what do you think of possibly having a boycott against Canada by a powerful media voice down here in the States?

wolf

2. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Never happen...the United States depends too much on Canada for stuff...

And before any Americans get all up in a huff, just so you know, I'm one hundred percent American, too. I've just lived in Canada for the past five years. You learn a lot.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    What I can say about Fox News would get me permabanned. It involves anatomically interesting phraseology.

The polite version is that Fox News represents an extremely small extreme right wing point of view that does not represent the feelings or attitudes of most US citizens (heck most of the planet for that matter).

Just ignore them. If anything should be boycotted it should be the Toronto Sun (and its ilk) for even supporting Fox News.

4. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I didn't Fox news was all that powerful. I would CNN would hold the power for an American news station.

5. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    "What I can say about Fox News would get me permabanned"

LOL Woofer...my feelings exactly. Bill O'Riely has had some pretty interesting "interviews" and "news segments" that would make nearly anyone laugh.

I think he's just trying to make his own news.

6. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    DarthBabe, I believe that Fox News gets a lot higher ratings than CNN down here.

wolf

7. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Really? That's interesting. I'll have to check that out.

I'm so used to having CNN shoved in my face.

8. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I want to know what American in their right mind would boycott water, the lumber in their houses and electricity?

9. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    Fanatics.
    In my opinion, the Americans that really count all recognize Canada's right to have an opinion of its own and make decisions for itself that will affect its citizens. We've always had a reputation internationally for being peacekeepers and diplomats. The decision our government made by sticking with the U.N. was financially and (largely) diplomatically sound, and I beleive, in the long run, the right choice for us. I think (and hope) most Americans recognize this and don't harbor continuing ill will over it.
    Besides, any American with the will to investigate a bit can plainly see we didn't have anything to send in the first place, even if we had supported their war. Hell, we only just finished outfitting out soldiers in Afghanistan with desert-camoflague uniforms last month.

10. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    All we'd have to do is turn the switch off on the electricity supply for 24 hours....that'd teach 'em how much they depend on Canada. ;)

11. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Everyone knows Fox news is in the pocket of the Republican party and must support the views and opinions thereof. Fox news is nothing more than a republican puppet.

12. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    Just saw results of about 40,000 people voting.
    86% yes
    14% no

wolf

13. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Now that shows ignorance. They probably presume the only thing's Canadian in their homes would be labeled "made in Canada". We tried tatooing it on Jim Carry, but he kept fidgeting.

14. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    How many people actually watch FOX News though...

The Simpsons themselves will have us beleive its nothin but undereducated "white trash" having anything to do with that network.

I don't beleive America would really boycott us.
    Or if they did it would be a crappy, half-hearted boycott.

How many people down there actually care anyway??

15. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    40,000 out of 293,000,000.

0.014% of the US population responded. Does that sound like Fox News is influential?

86% of those think they should boycott Canadian goods. Thats 34,400 people. Thats a whopping 0.012%.

Look out, the equivalent of a small town won't buy any back bacon, cheddar or Labbatt's!! Oh well more for us then.

16. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    Bill did a new segement on story about the two deserters. He vows that if the hearings on the deserters end with them being allowed to stay in Canada that he will start a boycott on Canada similiar to the one he has on France. O'Reilly also says a new poll of Canadian youth supposedly said that 40% of young Canadians finds the US to be evil. Thoughts on this?

wolf

17. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I think Americans seriously need to stop watching and listening to news supplied by major american news outlets (the big four and CNN). It seems lately that news is being controlled by someone. Reading some of the info available on Fairenheit 911 apparently there are a lot of things in that doc that surprised lots of people that I knew for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.