main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Power of the Force Christmas Charity Event

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by KudosDas, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/kudosdas/PotFNoDate.jpg]

Power of the Force
    Christmas Charity Event

Despite the genesis of this idea lying in several places, I have to thank haruwindsong for inspiring me to actually turn this idea into reality.

The idea for Power of the Force Christmas Charity Con is as follows; hold a Star Wars gaming con to raise money for children in need. Add on showings of movies broken up into the originals and the prequels. Add in a toy drive associated with the event. Invite various members of to participate in any capacity they can. "Troop" Queen Alexandra Centre, hand out the toys, donate the money, and sit down with the kids to watch TPM. This would all occur sometime in late November/ early December.

The idea only came to me yesterday so details are lacking. So far I've emailed Matthew Tweed, the creator of the print I've use for the preliminary banner above, Charlie Ross of the One Man Star Wars Trilogy, Child's Play Charity and the Queen Alexandra Foundation for Children about the event in addition to talking to various resources at the University of Victoria where I am hoping to hold the event.

While nothing is for sure at this point in time, if you're interested in participating in any way, or would like to donate down the road once this event is up and running, feel free to email or message me. The official email for the event is poweroftheforcecon@gmail.com.

Any feedback or ideas are greatly welcome!

John Grieve
    AKA Kudos Das
    Power of the Force Organizer
    Victoria "Victory Base" BC

2. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    For quite some time now, I'd actually had quite a similar idea and had thus considered it something well-worth bruiting about for a future outing, definitely a worthwhile and entirely positive venture, for sure....and really, now, whatever makes others happy like this clearly only makes us happy in turn....and certainly a-trooping (though I do wonder, incidentally, is there perhaps a different word out there for it? Because doesn't calling it "trooping" per se seem at least on the surface of it to exclude....well, it doesn't exactly name those of us who aren't so much troopers, and who are thus rather more....of the Jedi or Rebel persuasion, let's say....aaahhhh, I'm just joking, I think.... *chuckles* ;) :D ) out and about like that, well, who knows but what we do it for the pleasure, delight and glee of others....though obviously for our own most of all. Naturally. :D Makes for benefits all around, though, as I see it.... Still, though, yes - the matter at hand, then....

When it comes to this very worthwhile and fine idea of a hospital venture of some sort, I mean, finding some way to brighten their day like htis, you *know* they'd be entirely receptive to us and we'd doubtless be the biggest hit they'd *ever* seen....I do have the sneaking suspicion, anyway....call it a hunch. ;) But, ye-es - for sure and certain this was, then, something I'd been musing about, been curious about meself at least to some extent - aaahhhh, now, you see, perhaps the old adage is true after all, and great minds really do think alike ;) - although, actually, when I was discussing it with someone else "in the know", well, he had I guess potentially some insight to offer into it - don't know if it would necessarily affect our plans in this case, but it might be something to keep in mind, the way it was related to me.... *shrugs mildly, good-naturedly* For example, well, apparently we might want to - I guess consider trying such a thing at another time o' the year, like spring-ish apparently....

I presumed, of course, that this was likely because come holiday-time everyone's already so preoccupied with gift-giving and planning and celebrations and whatnot, so it might be just a wee bit too frenzied and overwhelming to try tackling it then, like close to Christmas-time, I mean....everyone else may already be doing a toy drive or fundraiser of some sort, come that time of year....so maybe we'd have better luck or at least be able to do it better, greater justice, and thus maybe it would only be an even more fabulous treat and a genuine surprise for the kids, let's say....if we went with another time of year for it. I don't know if it's something to consider, but it did have me wondering just the same, and I could definitely see the point.... :) (I'm guessing that we wouldn't ever want to run into a situation of "gift-giving fatigue", I think that's how it was put to me.... :) )

Dawn. (also, I'm somewhat curious - why would we be "splitting up" the PT - which comes first, as in order, natch :D - and the OT? It's all one great big marvellous, fabuloso and vividly-realized, exquisitely intricate and altogether wonderful and finely interwoven tapestry of a whole Saga, one pure codified story....just told in six parts, but one story nonetheless....unless of course you're thinking of perhaps necessary-breaks in between each film, and that, to be sure - in the midst of a monster marathon like that - I could, to be sure, likely understand.... ;) :D *tee hee* )

3. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    Thanks for the input Dawn.

Seeing as this is only the second day I've actually been working on this I'm totally open to any and all suggestions. In terms of the movies I was worried about finding a venue that would let us stay for nearly thirteen hours (Yes, I counted up the run times ;)) but by no means would I object to showing them all in one night/day. It might actually work out better given an idea I just came up with. I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet. I need to hear back from the concerned parties one way or another so as to avoid breaking all of your hopes.

Now, time of year. Yeah, this is definitely last minute with only two months to go and the holidays were obviously a huge part during the selection of potential dates. There's nothing to say we couldn't break up the con and the movies/other events while still holding them under the same banner. The only issue is that I'm gone back to Courtenay for work in the summer as of the end of April. That and I'm worried that we might not be able to get the same amount of community support early spring. If we hit up the community within the next couple of weeks, BEFORE the holiday season really hits I we should still have a great chance of getting the support we need for this event to be a success.

Of course in the end this whole thing is about a love of Star Wars and a desire to see a child's face break open in a smile. Whenever and however we make this work is secondary to that goal. If we get it done within the timeline I've come up with, fantastic. If not, like you said Dawn, there's no reason why we can't still put something on in the spring. What I most need right now are awesome people on board to help make the ideas and sentiments become reality.

Oh, and in my defence "Trooping" was just the word I was given. Seeing as I'm currently trying to get a Jedi costume together (I've never done costuming before) how about something along the lies of "Obeying the will of the Living Force?":D

Right, lets keep this discussion going!

4. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *chuckles good-naturedly* Ohhhh, no biggie, it's totally no worry at all, for I know that "trooping" does seem to be the term we just naturally use and I supposed by default, like if all else fails, I mean, tend to use for occasions such as this....and it works, to be sure, I suppose it's just that I was sitting there idly a-pondering and bruiting it all about, well, maybe I did just think it was a mite....ironic, if you will. ;) Aaaahhhh, but then, I'm guessing that we'd just want to see those of the Jedi and the distinctly Rebellious persuasion....getting their lovin' too, as 'twere. ;) :D Hey, we're all in this together, is the thing....armoureds and otherwise....although, hrmmmm, if they're said to be trooping, strictly speaking, I wonder if that would mean the rest of us....are actually *traipsing*? :) Hee!

Dawn.

5. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    Bowing under the weight of the evils of this technological world, I've created a Facebook group for anyone interested in helping plan PotF. I've done this mainly because many of those that have expressed interest in helping out, regrettably, are not part of FanForce.

That said I still think FanForce has the potential to be a huge part of this event. You guys are my true "hardcores" and its your passion for Star Wars that I'm hoping will help fuel my own when the days of planing are long and arduous, dark and rainy. Those from the West Coast will understand just how frequently those last two occur.;)

As for the latest news. I've spoken to Jane at Queen Alexandra's and will be meeting with her later this week to work out details. In addition Charlie Ross, front man of the One Man Star Wars Show, has expressed interests in being part of this event. This is, of course, not set in stone but his interest is a huge boost for this effort to get PotF off the ground.

Stay tuned for more info!

- John

6. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    Oct. 3/07

A very productive day indeed! For those of you who didn't know Derek and I meet with Jane Bowers from the Queen Alexandra Foundation for Children this afternoon. Jane was extremely supportive idea and gave us tons of information about the Foundation and about how we can best help them. Jane was even a bit of a Star Wars fan herself. Given that we now the green light from the Foundation, excluding paperwork, we're ready to move forward.

We also spoke with the UVSS about the possibility of using the Vertigo Lounge as a venue. The 30th is currently booked but the 1st is still free. As we need a UVic affiliated club backing us in order to book the room I've contacted the UVic Games Club about becoming involved with this project.

We've also contacted Paul Wild about bringing the films to the IMAX here in Victoria as part of PotF, a suggestion echoed by both Tessa, our secretary, and Jane at the foundation.

Next step is contacting Lucas Licensing about the possibility of using some of their images. Wish us luck!

- John

7. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *rueful expression* Well, hey, now I feel like a bit of a ditz, that I'll grant you - as though I was perhaps having something of a "blonde" moment, which would be all sorts of ironic considering the fact that I'm a redhead ;) - but I guess that for whatever reason, then, I'd apparently been labouring under the misapprehension or presumption that the Queen Alexandra foundation or group in question....was actually located way the heck over on the mainland instead of 'round hereabouts. *shrugs cheerfully, good-naturedly* Dunno quite where or how I was led a bit astray there, though I know 'tis no big deal, to be sure....heck, maybe I was automatically thinking of the big children's hospital over there in Vancouver, and thus who knows but what I may have gotten 'em a wee bit confuzzled there. 'Course, it's no harm, no foul, I quite agree, because all's well....and it sounds like things are coming together nicely, and that's excellent! Any thought to potential media coverage for it....maybe? :)

Dawn. (dunno about CH these days - ugh, I hate their new layout and colours scheme, am I the only one? - but A Channel might, emphasize *might*, perchance be okay....I still have fond memories of their coverage from the AOTC premiere line over at the Odeon, they were mighty nice and quite obliging actually, and Adam Sawatsky seemed to take to the idea of it very well....so - well, who knows, perhaps.... :) )

8. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    We've got a bunch of contacts through QA (Queen Alexandra's) that we're going to try to hit up once we've got something official, such as dates, times and venues, put together in a nice little release package. I also have avenues here at UVic I'm going to explore. If anyone has any connections out there we may be able to utilize or suggestions, shoot them my way.

We're not quite ready to announce this from every street corner but we're getting closer and closer every day. ;)

- John

9. StellaArtoo

StellaArtoo Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    This sounds fun!

10. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    Indeed. :)

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    So-o, is it true that - I guess apparently this Queen Alexandra thing might've fallen through, as it turns out....because supposedly there aren't any children actually in residence there at the centre, do I have that right....? I seem to recall that was the gist of an E-mail I got yesterday, and for all intents and purposes then that did make it look like, strictly speaking anyway, what we'd specifically been thinking to do in this case, with the Queen Alexandra centre, might not be a "go" after all. Confirmation on this, always a good thing, to be sure.... :) Although, well, hey, I'd also think that even if this particular plan did happen to fall through for whatever reason, surely that doesn't mean we can't come up with something similar....like what about visiting a childrens' ward at one hospital or another, for instance? I happened to idly mention such an idea to my parents, both of whom are nurses, and they seemed to think it could work, that it was nice enough, certainly. :) *shrugs cheerfully*

Dawn.

12. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    There are some children staying at QA but most not simply come to the centre for their treatment. Jane, the women I spoke to about this entire project, said that if we really wanted to do something with the kids they would be willing at inviting families who use the centre to show up for that day.

So, "Trooping" isn't necessarily out but you're right Dawn, in regards that most of the children who use the centre don't actually stay there. At this point in time I haven't seen that much support for the idea. I was really hoping FanForce would be the main driving force behind this aspect of it, but so far Victory Base seems pretty much dead (with the exception of you and Stella). If we get some more people interested in "Trooping" I'll do what I can to make it happen but if the support isn't there I need to focus my time elsewhere.

So, if you're lurking out there or know people who might be interested in getting involved with "Trooping" or any aspect of this project, let me know! :)

- John

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, now, I suppose you're right enough at least inasmuch as the fact that Victory Base, for example, in and of itself....is at the very least an obviously sorely limping, crippled gazelle staggering along drunkenly at the very rear of the herd, or else it's basically long-since been already run to ground by lions and now it's just the hyenas, vultures and other opportunistic scavengers who are greedily picking at the bones of the carcass of what was once a functional Fanforce enclave....if you follow the metaphor, ahem.... ;) STill, though, it's certainly by *no* means the only outlet and thus the only way to round up enough folks to participate for most anything, and actually we've had *far* greater and more sustainable, still more enjoyable luck and success actually, with the Outer Rim Squadron....local RL'ers and 501st'ers, all....although I gather that we now apparently come more under the collective umbrella of the Badlands Squadron....

And, to be sure, it does seem to make enough sense in that regard, to have us all banded together like that, since it *can* seem....at least on occasion, I know....that maybe there aren't nearly enough folks around, so basically what it comes down to is that we clearly need everyone we actually can get, and then some....hence the fact that we've been somewhat absorbed into the greater Badlands Squadron, from what I understand, though actually it seems like a pretty beneficial thing all around anyway. :) So-o, then, yes, I suppose that at the very least, then, we certainly do have our local Outer Rim Squad, and I suppose we're not exactly insignificant in and of ourselves, either....FF might be relatively "meh", but at least the Squad seems to have proven successful enough, in my experience. :) (and, hey, we're apparently even in the latest issue of Bantha Tracks online, our appearance over at the PNE....score, eh? :D )

Dawn.

14. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005

Not bad at all in my books. ;)

As for Power of the Force, asides from filling out paper work, nothing new at this point thanks in a large part to the holiday weekend. Hopefully the ball will get rolling again now that we're all beyond stuffed with turkey and pie and some real info will come in soon.

- John

15. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Victory Base will only be dead if the rest of the group stop posting. I've been trying to rouse people out of their complacency, unfortunately with Randy gone and Briana no longer posting the boards, a lot of activity has died.

With regards to setting up a trooping event, it would be great if we could coordinate something for the weekend prior to Halloween, in conjunction with IMAX. However we need someone with a more of a hand in the local business community to set it up (I don't and presently don't have the time---in fact just recovering from a five-day bout of the flu). If you can do it, please do get moving. Sunday seems the best day for all concerned.

I'm setting up a trooping for the Sidney Sparkles Parade. If you need to contact me and the local 501st and RL, please touch base through my home e-mail.

16. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005

I'll have a full update tomorrow. :)

17. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Please pm me with updates as I don't go into the Forums more than once a week --- too much on the go elsewhere, I'm afraid.
    If you need a mailing address for LFL, I have one for the old business offices. Of course, that may no longer be in effect with the move to the Presidio.

18. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005
    Sorry for the lack of updates folks. Between university and work there I haven't had an over abundance of spare time. That said I'll have all of my midterms over and done with as of tomorrow which means that I hope to have tons of stuff to update you on by Friday.

19. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005

Well, this post is a little later than I would have like but the good news is that POWER OF THE FORCE IS A GO!

We'll be hosting a Movie Marathon of the Original Trilogy (don't know which version yet, sorry) on Friday, Nov. 30 in the David Strong auditorium (C103) from 2:30 - 10:30 p.m. at UVic. Tickets are $10 at the door. Once you have your ticket you may come, go and come back as need be. As with all of our events, all proceeds beyond the cost of holding the event are going directly to the Queen Alexandra's Foundation for Children.

Our second event, Force-Con, is taking place Saturday, Dec. 1st from 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. in the Vertigo Lounge in the Student Union Building, again at UVic. Admission is free but donations are greatly appreciated. We'll have everything from the WotC and WEG Miniatures, Battlefront II, WizKids PocketModel game, Star Wars Risk, Monopoly, Star Warriors, Star Munchkin and much, much more.

Jon Woodland will be there with his amazing Lava Land terrain for a day long WEG Miniatures event. Other main events include the Dawn of Defiance Star Wars Saga Campaign, WotC Miniatures Force Unleashed Sealed Tournament, and WizKids PocketModels TCG Sealed Tournament.

Whether you're looking to simply roll some dice and have a good laugh with fellow fans of the movie or are looking for some hardcore gaming, you'll find it at Force-Con. If there's an event you think should be there and isn't, let us know and we'll make space available for it.

Hope to see you all there, and may the Force be with you.

Sincerely,

- John Grieve
    Power of the Force Organizer
    poweroftheforcecon@gmail.com

20. Tib_Senshi

Tib_Senshi Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2005
    I honestly wish I could go. The dates and times, unfortunately are too short notice for me. I work u to 6 days a week and it is during the times you post.... I really wanted to roll some dice...

21. KudosDas

Jan 14, 2005

Sorry guys, but the Movie Marathon is cancelled due to licensing issues. Force-Con, however, is still a go - This Saturday from 10-10.

Hope to see you there!

- John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.