main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Problems with Celebration 2

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by JediYvette , Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I couldn't find anything.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Some of the events on the current Celebration 2 schedule on the official Celebration site are for Fan Club members only....I'll repost this in the Celebration Update forum, but for the current stream of conversation....
    Come prepared to Star Wars Celebration II. Do your homework and check out the show hours below.

Friday, May 3

Show Hours 10:00 A.M.-8:00 P.M.
    Attendee registration 9:00 A.M.-7:00 P.M.
    Exhibit Hall and Store open for
    Star Wars Fan Club Members Only 10:00 A.M.-11:00 A.M.
    Exhibit Hall open for all attendees 11:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
    Art show hours 11:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
    Star Wars Celebration II Store open
    for all attendees 11:00 A.M.-8:00 P.M.
    Star Wars Opening Ceremony 6:00 P.M.

Saturday, May 4

Show Hours 9:00 A.M.-8:00 P.M.
    Attendee registration 8:00 A.M.-7:00 P.M.
    Star Wars Fan Club Members Only 9:00 A.M.-10:00 A.M.
    Exhibit Hall open for all attendees 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
    Art show hours 10:00 A.M.-6:00 P.M.
    for all attendees 10:00 A.M.-8:00 P.M.

Sunday, May 5

Show Hours 9:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.
    Attendee registration 8:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.
    Star Wars Fan Club Members Only 9:00 A.M.-10:00 A.M.
    Exhibit Hall open for all attendees 10:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.
    Art show hours 10:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.
    for all attendees 10:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.

Mostly just being able to buy SW stuff an hour or two before everyone else, but since most people are members of the fan club.... [face_plain]

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    You all have to tell me everything after the event. I am so jealous!!!

4. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    DISCLAIMER: What I am about to say will offend some people, if it offends you please flame me privately Also, this post is not directed at JediYvette, BTW rest assured that there will be play by play news posts at TFN and there will probably be 50 documentaries to watch.

I hear people whine about the location of Celebration II all the time in all kinds of forums. Nearly all of them are still in high school and some aren't even old enough to drive. They will whine and complain until Celebration is across the street from them. The world isn't going to hand you everything on a silver platter and you have to stop whining every time things don't go your way. You don't see many 25+ aged people whining about this, probably because they know that the world doesn't always work the way they want it to.

I was still in high school when Celebration I was happening. I lived in Vancouver, WA (across the Columbia River from Portland, OR). Did I wish I could have been there? Yes. Did I throw a temper-tantrum and whine about how mean and unfair the SW Fan Club was for not having it in my hometown or in nearby Portland, OR (which is a fairly large city)? Hell no. Right now I am going to film school in Nashville, TN so it is easier for me to go to C2.

The way I see it, you can either spend your life in anger and self-pity, waiting for someone to give you a handout, or you can get out of bed and solve your own problems.

The reasons for choosing Indy are obvious: Indianapolis has 5 major freeways running through it according to my US road map book. Indianapolis International Airport is served by 12 major and 10 national passenger airlines. Geographically it's a short distance for many people and considering the fact that 5 major freeways run right through it, it's faster for most people and cheaper (cars have better fuel mileage at freeway speeds).
    It also has a hell of allot of hotels, not to mention more fast food joints than any other city in the U.S, and the convention center is a nice, huge, modern place to do this. It sure beats putting lots of stuff in tents like they did for Celebration I.

If you can't make it to this one, start saving your money. It's not that expensive if you live in the U.S. Figure out the estimated cost and add a little to be safe, put away a few bucks every week or every month if u get a little extra spending money, put that away. If you live on your own, cut back on groceries, stop spending so much at fast food joints and avoid impulse purchases. In order for me to save up I am going to live off of microwave corn dogs (4 bucks for 18 pack), milk (not microwaved 2 for skim), and instant noodles (60 cents for a cup).
    I highly recommend buying Quicken or another financial program to help plan for this financially.

Why you shouldn't miss a Celebration convention: This is like Woodstock for star wars fans, yes I know that Celebration will never have the 1 million+ attendees that Woodstock had, but there is never going to be an event like this again. Yes like Woodstock there may be more Celebrations, but after the prequels are done there aren't going to be anymore movies and the emotional high that can be felt at a convention like this will be lost. Attendance will decrease with each one and it just won?t have the same energy as the original 3. If you miss this or C3 you will regret it for the rest of your life. Like I said above, plan in advance. Yes I am aware that no body knows where C3 will be held but you can bet it will be in a major city, set your estimate to the furthest likely location from you and start financially planning for it.
    If you plan on writing a response against me please type "yoda is my father" somewhere in your post. Allot of people will flame me without reading my long-winded post.

5. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    I live in downtown Indianapolis, about 15 minutes walking-distance from the Convention Center. Lemme tell you, it is a FANTASTIC place to hold the Celebration.

Indianapolis' newest, most high-profile shopping mall is right next to the Convention Center. It is also a short distance from the Indianapolis Zoo and within walking distance to a gorgeous public walkway down a canal, which is especially beautiful in May. Furthermore, there are buttloads of restaurants nearby.

Indianapolis is unusual in that it has a highly commercial downtown. When they opened the Circle Centre Mall in 1995, all these large businesses moved in and revitalized the area. Downtown Indy really is an urban-area anomoly.

Furthermore, you all under-estimate the beauty of "Hoosier Hospitality". Any time I go to the East Coast (or out west) I find that people in service jobs are incredibly rude when compared to those back home in Indiana. Indianapolis will treat you as guests.

6. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Dude, where do you live? (you can PM me on that one) and why have you not joined us aat Indy Knights meetings?

Everything Emuboy said is rue. And unlike many other metropolitan cities I've been too (i.e. Atlanta, St. Louis) we have a very lively downtown every day of the week. I think the average time restaarants are open is 11 p.m. and bars are open even later.

We have a movie theatre in that mall too, 14 screens, and I'll be looking into when showtimes will be for spiderman...because if you guys didn't realize it, it comes out the weekend of C2 :)

7. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    Hey, I was really bummed out when I realized that there was a CELEBRATION I!!! I found out only after the event was over. It was then I decided we were going, no matter what!

If you want something bad enough you will work hard enough to make it happen. Unless you are too young...but, that's a different matter alltogether. I know whole families that are going.

My husband and I were talking about how we would have loved if the Celebration was closer, but, everything goes on in California. And, everyone WOULD like it right in their own backyard.
    But, Indianapolis is centrally located for the entire country.

Hey, if you save up and buy you air tix cheaply (Priceline can be as low as $222 per person round trip from 100 miles OUTSIDE of Los Angeles!) You can do this cheaply...heck even if you didn't have to save up, you could do it cheaply and have more money to spend on 'souvenirs'!. We used to do it for local Conventions, pile as many friends as you can in the hotel room, everyone brings their sleeping bags.

I've made the trip part business, mostly pleasure and a family reunion. My grandfather lives in Bloomington and I haven't seen him for 30 years, in fact most of my relatives live in the states around Indiana, so this will be more than just a rare Star Wars treat!

I am so looking forward to meeting everyone.

8. ShiraBrie

ShiraBrie Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2001
    Spiderman is starting that weekend? I didn't realize that. I hope there will be some free time so I can go see it. :)

9. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    "Indiana is a long way from here"

"That's your Uncle talking"

10. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    In 1987, I was in high school on the opposite side of the country, so I missed the 10th anniversary con in L.A..

In 1999, I was broke on the opposite side of the country, so I missed Celebration I.

I live in the Washington, D.C. area and let me tell ya, we almost never get anything around here. I'm going to Celebration II; with my luck it's probably my only chance. The next one will probably be in Budapest or Antartica or Ulaan-Bator.

11. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    I live in Frederick, MD (kinda close to D.C.) and I'm driving there. It's a 10 hour drive. That's plenty of time to listen to all of my Star Wars music CD's in a row....

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Emuboy- Shara is one of the IndyKnights I spoke of. You really should join. ;)

I had a thought... for all those people who won't be attending Celebration II, why not hold your own min-Fanforce Celebration? That weekend you could get together with fellow fans, dress up in costumes, watch the movies, share spoilers (if you read such things), play games, etc. It wouldn't be the same, and I do realize that, but at least it would be a way for you to interact with other fans that are unable to make it to Indianapolis. ;)

~*~Bria

13. Obi-Wans_Mistress

Obi-Wans_Mistress Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    This discussion is way off topic. IS there anyone else who is upset about the Star Wars Celebration? I still am. It pisses me off so much! I would love to protest it.

14. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Why does it piss you off so much? There is no way any one location is going to make every single fan happy. It's just not going to happen. At least by having it at a somewhat more central location, more fans will be able to attend. :)

~*~Bria

15. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    If you could go there to protest wouldn't it just be better if you went and had fun????

They really cannot please everyone with the location. If they had it where you wanted it then someone else would be $#$#$ off about it. A central location is a good idea. It makes the event reachable for a larger number than one of the coasts would. I am sure they will have the next one in a different location. Where ever it is they will have it where there is a major airport. It's not like they will be choosing Ely Minnesota for the next one. Plus you should try to be Tick off, not #$#$ off.. Your not really suppose to use those kinds of words around here.

16. zathraaas

zathraaas Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    Indy was chosen for several reasons, central location and facility & hotel accommodations were at the top of the list. Also, WOTC has a good relationship with the Indianapolis Convention Center since they have a contract to move their annual Gencon game convention there for a number of years beginning in 2003.

I know some of the people in charge of this convention and they are very excited about it- ya'll are in for a fantastic time.

It would be great if SWCII could be close to everyone, but it can't..

17. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Also, something that Steve Sansweet added in his radio interview (SS is such a good sport): Indianapolis is within a days drive of most of the United States. That was another plus. They don't call us the Crossroads of America for nothing ;)

18. Darth_Payback

Darth_Payback Jedi Master star 1

May 14, 2001
    Right on JediToren! Some people just whine too much! I missed Celebration I because I couldn't get any friends to cough up the dough to go with me, and I didn't know about these forums then, so I didn't know anyone who was going. I didn't complain though, I just thought "Hope I get to go to the next one". Being more centrally located in Indy means I can, but even if I couldn't, life goes on. People except everything to be handed to them.

19. ORANGESNAKE

ORANGESNAKE Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    hello snap-hiss!hey it is just 10 hours from Harrisurg -- I am in Williamsburg VA--not much difference. i am debating whether to fly or drive. Any thoughts?

20. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    I had originally planned to drive, but Southwest has some really good deals, so I bought a ticket. I'm coming in from Baltimore (BWI), and the cash I save from not having to buy gas to drive there, and staying in a hotel an extra night, AND now only missing one day of work instead of three? Made it alot easier I tell you!

21. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    A friend of mine went to Celebration I and she was not a member of the fan club. Even with the special benefits like getting in early, the line was so huge according to her that it made absolutely no difference!

I am also a poor University student. I'd love to complain about the US-Canadian exchange rate and whine about how Celebration is not in Toronto or Canada, but I think it's pretty fortunate that it is only 12 or 14 hours away from me instead of across the ocean :D The fact that I'm working my butt off to afford it and get myself there will make it sweeter than it would be if it was right across the street.
    Remember...
    "Do or do not - there is no try"

22. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I'll tell you the biggest problem with CII that I just found out about recently. They (Wizards) have gotten a bigger response then they expected (apparently they paid no attention to the numbers from CI). As a consequence, they didn't get a large enough block of rooms from the hotels, so rooms are selling out faster than expected.

Kinda makes you wonder what they're thinking over there at Wizards, doesn't it.

23. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well, WotC was expecting 25,000 people over the 3 day weekend. Another problem getting in the way is that there is another convention in the convention center at the same time as ours but not near as big. Also on Saturday, the Indianapolis 500 Minimarathon will be going on as well. That brings in about 20,000 in itself just to run.

I don't know if WotC was aware of this going into it. Needless to say, there are going to be a lot of people in Indianapolis that weekend.

24. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    The Indianapolis Indians will also be playing a home stand throughout the entire weekend as well, which will put a crimp on parking and pedestrian traffic...nothing to worry about though.

25. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    From the sounds of it all, they might as well hold it in NYC ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.