main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pull your socks up time!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by JONJEDI, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Heya guys.

I think its time the South pulled its socks up and got going. It seems like most of you have just lost interest and can't really be bothered anymore and it?s just Serena on her own trying to keep this place above the surface. Like one person PMed Tim for the Temp leader, no one seems to care about the msn chat. Well I don?t think that?s fair on her, she can?t make this place on her own. I know others are putting effort in (Cobra, Maat, moosemousse etc) and are/have done useful things to help out in getting the South going, but you are all gunna have to put a lot of work into it.

Well if you are all interested in making a go of this thing your gunna have to take action, no more talking. No more blabbing about meets, posters, flyers etc. The more you talk about these things the more it is just going to fizzle out into nothing. You are just gunna have to get them done. Set a date for a meet and just do it! That?s how the other FF?s took off the ground. The North, they had enough members for a FF, they decided what they were gunna do and they did it! In a short space of time they have rapidly grown and are right up there. Its only a year since the first Midlands meet happened, enough people wanted to make a go of it, they arranged a time they were all free, a location that suited them all. BAM! Now look at them. Probably the leading one of the lot and now has a new name and are going in all new, bright directions.

Now, there are a lot of members from the South region. Looking back at the old South thread there is a long list of people from the South who originally got interested in taking part. I put together a list of members who are still around and from the South area. From the old South thread and the Member roll call thing this is what I have so far:

lukesgirlie = Bedford, Bedfordshire
    DewbackRider88 = High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
    Cobranaconda = Salisbury, Wiltshire
    moosemousse = Salisbury, Wiltshire
    marté = Devonshire (currently not in the country)
    Ripper = Exmouth, Devon
    Blade = Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Mustafar_66 = Thornbury, Bristol
    Sinrebirth = Dunstable, Bedfordshire
    GeneralGrievous1 = Isle of Wight, Hampshire
    tomo123 = Eastleigh, Hampshire
    russelguppy - Bognor Regis, West Sussex
    Space_Chicken = Surrey
    master_stumpy = Somerset
    Darkgloom = Wiltshire (Salisbury)

Now that?s more than enough people! I don?t think you realize how many Southerners there are! Now what you need to do, find out who is interested in making a go of it. I know Tim made that awesome flyer, your gunna have to sort getting that out and get it around. And I?m sure the ones not really involved can be swayed into making a meet. I didn?t get involved with any of the Midlands meets or anything, but Wiz kept pestering me to come :p and I haven?t missed a meet since! It is fun once you get on the wagon and you need to sort out the flyers and posters etc and find ways of attracting people. Like I said, take action for crying out loud! Enough talk, do it. Have a quick chat, who is printing them etc, who is putting them where, then print them and do it!

If anyone on here isn?t interested or can?t be bothered that?s fair enough and that?s there choice, but now you need to find out who is and isn?t and pull up your socks and make a shoot for it. It isn?t easy, but you need to remember what the point of a fan force is. A bunch of like minded individuals getting together to socialize and do things for fun, that?s it really, fun. And in all honesty, watching this place limp on doesn?t look fun, but frustrating. It isn?t easy setting all this up but if you put in the work to get it up and running, you will get back exactly what you put into it. This place has the potential to be a strong Fan Force, I suggest you use the rapid growth of the Midlands and North chapters as a role model; they put in the hard work to get it rolling now they are fun, buzzing, active Fan Forces.

And you are not alone, the other chapters I?m sure are willing to help. Ask for advice, you are a young group, ask older m

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Hey! Someone stole my RSA hat! :p
    But what he ^ said =D= This is the most difficult time for you as a group - making the first move.

I think you really need to have people say "yes" and finalise meets. If you want it to work, talking over and over won't get you anywhere. So, it's time to put the commitment where your hearts are. Like I said, I'll help, I can't make all meets, but when I can I will.

You have to decide - social group, convention group, or both. You also will need to travel a little - Milton Keynes can't be the only place you go. It's not fair on all members. And the people who want this so much have to be fair themselves on that.

At the end of the day, this is your group. Decide how you want it to move. I'll advise, so make sure you include me if you feel you need help.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, I'm an outsider, so I don't know about what goes on behind the scenes here

But it looks to me like the South is doing Ok
    You have a flier and poster, and once you're official you can get a banner & an avatar.

You have a number of members who seem to want to meet, and have a number of things planned in the near future.....that doesn't mean they won't get done

You have had one meet already as I understand it, and a second was planned but failed slightly cos there weren't enough South members attending, but still it got done.

There is a meet idea planned for Salisbury, and another for C10, and an xmas event planned. And I'm sure 3 or more of you could make the FFUK Grand Day Out meet in August

Don't forget, the South is a big area, and since you have a lot of young members travel is not always easy. Some might need lifts or parental permission, and some may lack the money to travel very far

obviously things will be easier once the South is official, so best to try and get official as soon as possible.
    But the interest seems to be here, as are the ideas......and that is how things get done

4. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Ok, I think we need contributions from South members from now on please. I am going to step in and put my foot down. Thanks for the contributions from both of you already though.

Tomorrow, Serena and Rob, I will make time to chat with you. We'll do it via msn. Sometime in the evening. I am sorry its taken this long, but there are lots of things a RSA has to do. It's the South's turn tomorrow.

5. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Hey guys,
    great to see there is so much interest!
    I have an even larger list of southerners on my computer, and tried to get at least the Devon bunch together; the biggest problem was that none of them has been on the boards since ages, last time I checked (I admit, that was 2 weeks ago). I thought about sending emails, but then this step could be seen as very intrusive. Another difficulty is the age of the members, which means no driver's permits (ok, so I'm the exception in age, but still don't have one), and the confuse british rail system. Thirdly, the south is a huge area - I believe it is much easier to meet within London than througout 18 counties. These are not excuses, just explanations. I understand your frustration, and I appreciate very much all the work serena put into this. I generally agree with your opinion concerning the points you have adressed.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  7. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Well said, Hal!

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well I was gonna say something, but it's clear that non-southerners are completely unwelcome here, so thought better of it. Don't want to upset the upper echelon.

9. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Eh?

What gives you that idea? That we aren't always online?

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Not at all

"I think we need contributions from South members from now on please. I am going to step in and put my foot down."

Our RSA taking a firm stand on non-Southerners posting. Enjoy your chapter :)

Guess I'll head off back to mine, and never the twain shall meet.

11. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Yay for poor interchapter relations :p

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yeah, tis funny. Of all people, I'd have thought the RSA would be the person to welcome chapter interbreeding. Apparently not though. I'll probably get banned for posting this many times in an "alien" chapter :rolleyes:

13. lukesgirlie

lukesgirlie Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2005
    As a young and relativly small chapter, we do of course welcome contributions from outside the south, as I think was shown with our HM scheme. I think that all Tim was trying to do here was stop us from becoming over run with contributions so much so that the south did not have a voice of their own, and were instead just a mixture of different chapters. You will notice that no one from the south had made a post in this thread before that post you're talking about, and so that is how I view it.

From my POV as joint unoffical leader (nice long title :p ) I happily welcome any help we can get. We need it, and I think Rob would agree. :)

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    You're missing the main point though.

This thread was started by a non-Southerner, and Tim welcomed and even endorsed it. Then when another non-Southerner replied, suddenly it was forbidden for Non-Southerners.

Let's look at the timings.

Thread started 4:45 by a non-Southerner
    Replied to by the RSA at 5:09

This is 24 minutes later, and the thread is endorsed and welcomed.
    "what he ^ said =D= "

Then at 5:22, another non-Southerner offers sound very sound advice and help (13 mins later)

Then suddenly at 6:02, we get a "No non-southerners" post from Tim.

Where did that come from??? I have suspicions, but I will not post them here.

The first post is fine, but the 2nd isn't????

We should all be embracing all members of the UK.

Serena, you said " From my POV as joint unoffical leader, I happily welcome any help we can get", and you are absolutely spot on.

Yet the RSA disagrees with you, and would rather new chapters find their own way forward without any advice from other chapters who have been through the same thing.

I attended the FF-UK:M (Can I say that here?) meet last month, and people from other chapters were welcomed open-handed. I've been invited to meet-ups from FF-UK:N.

Why are people allowed to go to other chapters meet-ups? Why? BECAUSE WE'RE ALL PART OF THE SAME GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who doesn't that spread to assisting other chapters to grow?

EVERYONE WANTS THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! We want ALL chapters to grow, so if people can offer advice to others, then what's the bloody problem??

The fact that within 2 posts and/or 13 minutes we suddenly go from "Non-southerner's advice is welcome" to "Non-Southerner's advice is NOT welcome" is very worrying.

I totally agree with chapter members being the only people allowed to VOTE for certain things, but to limit that to discussion on how the chapter should proceed, or how the chapter should start is a TERRIBLE thing, and something I cannot believe the RSA endorses.

We are a family, yet the father is telling the siblings not to offer advice to each other. Is that normal?

15. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Serena, thanks for trying but this will happen in the foreseeable future, don't worry about me.

Hal, you have a PM with some reasons, but to be honest, I'd have thought you would give me at least some respect and started this rant via PM first, rather than marching over here to have a go at me, and I think we both know why you did so, it has nothing to do with the South.

Advice from other chapters is always welcome (in this circumstance there was a reason for me saying what I did, I had reasons, I stick to them), but the chapters themselves have to make the final decisions. And I meant on this ocassion when I stopped the two people arguing.

Do you really think all that goes on happens just in the public areas of these boards. PMs, MSN, and other methods are used, what you quite often get is the tailend of a long debate.

Sad to see you feel the need to attack me, you don't know the work I put in behind the scenes of these boards, or real life meets. I wish you could be RSA for a week, then really understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.