main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Random Star Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
  2. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I generally don't care about guys dressed up in armor or pictures thereof, but these are some pretty sweet shots.

D'

3. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
  4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
  5. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005

I like that one too[face_laugh]

[image=http://www.eisenhowerhall.com/images/artist/annieL.jpg]

6. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Something tells me that this is JediAutobot's ringtone.

7. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Amen, brother!

8. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Cartoon Network will have a preview of the new Clone Wars cartoon this Thurday at 7:58 pm ET. No cable for me, so thank goodness for YouTube on Friday :)

9. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't have $2900 to spend on an R2-D2 DVD player/projector, but you have to admit it's pretty cool. Too bad they didn't make it 1:1 scale.

10. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    If this doesn't make you yearn for the golden age of SW gaming nothing will. If you are wondering why that video is so important then you need to play those games and get educated. There is a reason they still top many "all time" lists. They are just that good.

Lucasarts, please take note, we need these games back. Don't "reimagine" the formula is there and it works don't muck with it. Just remake them all in their entirety.

11. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    It's telling that TIE-Fighter and XWA STILL hold their own against such things as the "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion for SWG and other titles. A good game is a good game, even if it doesn't have specular lighting and supports DX10. Between those and the Wing Commander series, I used my joystick more than my mouse in the '90s.

12. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I gotz 3 months open, an Intertoobz connection and copies of XWvsTF & XWA dusted and ready to rock if anyone thinks they can hang.

Bosh

"Have Server Will Jump."

13. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Is there a better sim that TIE Fighter? Check that. Is there a better game than TIE Fighter? I can make arguments that Tetris, Half-Life, Warcraft and World of Warcraft are at least its equal; but I honestly don't know of any game that has captured my attention and imagination so completely with both its gameplay and narrative. I could go on for hours about how much fun it is, the responsiveness of the controls, the 3D realtime mission records, the coolness of the plot's subversive missions (and secret tattoo "trophy room") and graphic design that is technically primitive today but still a beautiful creation (akin to older comic book artists like John Romita Sr and Kieth Giffen who drew with simpler lines but utilized the layout of a page as the true artform.) But all that was already mentioned in the video.

One thing that made TIE Fighter a truly great video game (and not just a cool SW experience) was its multiple planes of escalating difficulty. First, the missions themselves slowly ramped up in intricacy (not just difficulty) so that each new mission seemed to require learning one more aspect of piloting. By the time mission 15 or so rolled around, you suddenly realized that you had almost total control over everything in the cockpit without ever being made to feel like you were pushed out of the tree too young. Until WoW came around, I don't think a game's instruction manual had ever felt so useless. My dad, in his mid-40s when I got the game, would watch over my shoulder as I tooled around in later missions, utilizing every button on my gamepad and a handful of keyboard commands. He tried flying a few of those missions and was completely lost. I created a new username for him, and within a few weeks' time, we were at equal playing levels.

I also loved how the game handed over new and more powerful ships without making you Godlike. I love HL2, but the supercharged gravity gun is easy mode; same deal with the Hero classes in Warcraft III. The TIE Advanced and Defenders, as badass as they were, were simply the right tool for the job; just as the regular TIE was for earlier in the game. Subsequently, missions #20+ still carried the same risk of failure as mission #3.

One lone complaint, and it's not really a complaint... more of a cry of frustration. There's a mission (fairly early on if I recall) to attack a rebel space platform. The instant you enter the mission, you're given an alternate mission to capture/destroy a fleeing Corellian ship. To stop it, you had to divert ALL power to the engines and take off like a laser on an intercept course. Even if everything went right, I still only got to it about 50% of the time.

Man... I wonder how much a cheap gamepad would run me these days.

"I have you now!"

14. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Gravis gamepad pros run about 10-20 bucks.

I cannot recall a game I have played through from beginning to end more than Tie Fighter. Perhaps the first Jedi Knight? I must have logged hundreds of hours on that game over the course of 4 years of college. My Tie Fighter /played would likely have dwarfed my WoW /played if I had measured.

That is the only game also that I don't have a single complaint about other than we need more!!! That is not so much a complaint as it is a demand of Lucasarts.

Also
    http://www.xwaupgrade.com/

I may have to reinstall now.

I've been considering a cheapo flightstick for BSG: Beyond the Red Line. This may have just pushed me over from active research to purchase mode.

15. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I have to say I love all of the X-wing derived games. When I was in middle school, my good friend Mike and myself would sometime go to his house when his parents were home after school,(we were in the after school program)and play the original X-wing on his dads pc, which I think ran windows 3.something. It is amazing what a step up tie fighter was in graphics wise.Plus it was a christmas present along with a Logitech wingman joystick, I loved that game. X-Wing Alliance was a lot of fun introducing new types of fire modes and crafts. Plus the capital ship mod was really fun. I really wish they bring these games back. I used to rule in the online games, man it has been so long since I played.

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000

Oh, I think there is.

Bosh
    "Naw, but they will be there to kill you...[/link]"

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    The best part was spending hours and hours making boot disks for XW and TF and when you got one that finally worked it was like you swallowed a planet's worth of awesome then punched a troll in the nuts. Lots of people hated the custom boot disk thing but I really enjoyed making them. It made you really know what was in your machine.

18. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Swallowed a troll's whats?

19. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    Project for this weekend: Look for all my XW / TF CD-ROMS and see if they work on this POS computer....

If these work, oh I'm in soooooo much trouble!

20. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    sounds like we might have to all put them back on our computers and go at it.

21. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    [image=http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/15309-2/ban_him.jpg]

22. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Installing....

23. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    which game does everyone have. I have X-wing Vs Tie with the expansion balance of power. The best and most recent one I would say is X-wing Alliance.

24. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    X-Wing comment:)

Not sure when this first came out, but this was the moment in time that
    something on my PC beat out my old Atari-800 STAR RAIDERS game.

Also, when X-Wing went to CD-ROM, (Yes, I still have all the Floppies
    and boxes in MINT condition)

it was "upgraded?"

and was no longer as much fun as the original.

also, all the original add on-s,
    tho very good,
    were not as much fun.

currently I play nothing,

tho I will load X-Wing aliance just to fly the practice course.

25. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.