main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels canon level?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Has there been any statement yet on where SW:R will sit on the canon table?

IIRC TCW was G-level canon - the highest tier, equivalent to the live action movies. But is Rebels continuing that or will it have lower canonicity?

I don't know but I'm just asking in case anyone else has heard.

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    It probably will. <Sigh>

13thsithlord likes this.
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I imagine that it would sit lower than G-canon due to Lucas not being involved (AFAIK). Place it next to the micro-series and the rest of the EU, methinks. that being said, it will probably be flaunted as G-canon.

4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wonder if Disney will add a D-canon.. I suspect Rebels will be T-canon.

5. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    TCW is T-level canon which also Rebels will be in all probability.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've been wondering about this too. It could cover anything, tv or movie, made by Disney-owned LFL.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to make up my own canon levels.

A-canon: Awesome!Canon. Speaks for itself. See: Bounty.

G-canon: Good!Canon. Also speaks for itself. See: the Umbara arc.

WTF-canon: Stories that make no sense. See: Maul returning. See: Anakin not being able to use the Force underwater. See: Plo Koon covering Ahsoka's ass in the Citadel arc.

STFU-canon: includes all characters that I don't like, plus Anakin's lines in the Onderon arc.

We'll see where Rebels falls.

8. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Sources on wookieepedia saing that TCW is T-Canon does not exist anymore
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#cite_note-5
    Do you have any sources confirming it ?
    Because TCW is George Lucas very high involvement so it has to be G-Canon, it's a part of the saga, it's not EU.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Chee said on the starwars.com forum that TCW is T-Canon. Later on, GL said that he no longer distinguishes TCW from the Saga.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That's awesome

11. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Wow... I have been a Star Wars fan all my life and I never knew how seriously people took what is or is not canon until I signed up here.

Discussing which fictional events actually happened is supremely murky territory.

It's all canon to me, regardless of who says so I or if I like it or not.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This I agree with. I'm sick of this whole EU religion.

13. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    T-canon is above C-canon (EU-canon), but I don't see anywhere either on the Wookieepedia page itself or in the "Talk"-section that T-canon doesn't exist anymore (and not in the citation either).

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL pretty much merged T-Canon into G-Canon.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  15. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The thing is if you take everything as canon then the Death Star plans have been stolen about 20 times (maybe significantly more than that!) and Yoda is not so much in exile on Dagobah as serving as a pit stop for every semi-important character that happens to cross his sector of the galaxy.

There's just so much SW content that things naturally contradict each other. It's impossible for everything to be canon.

I have my own personal canon that includes the stuff I enjoy (or that I don't but feel is necessary). Of course, I never use this as a basis for discussion on this forum because, well, I consider it a bit arrogant to expect everyone to conform to what I consider canon.

So Chee's canon system has to suffice.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And I think that Chee's canon is too inclusive. IG-88? Marvel Jabba? Visual Dictionary typos?

07jonesj likes this.
  17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The concept of G-canon seems irrelevant now, since George has no further input (except for penning the treatments). But for all we know Disney could re-release the unaltered theatrical versions of the OT and say those are canon and everything subsequently revised by Lucas is not, and Lucas wouldn't have any say in the matter. Maybe Disney gets Hayden and Ewan back and decides to make a The Clone Wars film that completely ignores anything Lucas and Filoni did with TCW, rendering Ahsoka non-canon.

It may or may not happen. But by the logic of "G-canon" only what Lucas actually wrote into the treatments is "G-canon" while everything else that Abrams, Kennedy (etc.) add int sits at a lower level. And I don't think that will prove to hold true at all.

Basically, everything is canon until it's overwritten. Which IMO renders the concept of a canon hierarchy a little pointless, since G-canon was by no mean gospel. Lucas would go back and revise the movies. At one point Greedo shooting first would have been "G-canon," but now it's not. At one point Palpatine in ESB told Vader A, B and C, but now he also says X, Y and Z. At one point the Sarlaac was merely a pit lined with teeth, then it was given a beak, etc. And in the ROTJ commentary Lucas even mentions nearly including a shot of Boba Fett crawling out of the Sarlaac pit, which would have made that G-canon (that obviously did not happen, but easily could have).

All the hierarchy established was who could overwrite whom. It established that Lucas could overwrite anyone (even himself). But now Lucas has the authority to overwrite nobody. So maybe it's time to retire the G-canon rung on the ladder.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's what I call the "Lucasverse" in which only the movies, TCW, and the intent behind them are canon.

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It appears even Chee himself would agree with this statement; he seems to think that G-canon will now be converted into M-canon (movies) or F-canon (films). What this means for the other tiers, T-canon and C-canon, remains to be seen.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  20. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: The whole levels of canon thing we've seen in Star Wars up till the buyout is done - over, finished, ended, gone, kaput, fork-stuck. That was a George thing. It is not how Disney does business. Disney simply sees a franchise with its constituent parts; they all complement each other, and don't contradict each other. Rebels won't be at a different level than, nor will it present anything that contradicts Ep. VII any more than Agents of SHIELD will be at a different level than or contradict The Avengers.

Star Wars in under new management now - the old rules do not apply anymore.

darth fluffy and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I've written a couple of articles about this for our fan club which will be published shortly. Until it's confirmed by Chee my belief is that the structure will be.

In order of authority
    • G Canon (mainly the 6 x movies)
    • D Canon (Ep VII and other films Disney make. My belief is that is if a D Canon film contradicts a G Canon film then the fans will take the G Canon as being correct no matter what)
    • T Canon (for both TCW and Rebels)
    • C Canon (EU)
    • S Canon (pre EU)
    and so on.

I actually chat about it a bit more in an article here regarding TCW and its place in Canon.

http://starwalking.weebly.com/dags-page.html

Oh, and Canon levels HAVE to exist because we're talking about the continuity of the saga and what information is correct within that continuity.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The only reason there were any contradictions in the first place was because of GL's desire to be free to overwrite stuff while keeping everything else canon. So without GL, there won't be a need for canon levels.

23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The only reason there were any levels of canon in the first place is because GL wanted quick-and-easy cash ins on tie-in novels, comics, and games without wanting to be arsed to do any quality control to make sure they were all telling the same story. So he licensed them to make some dough, then simply used this convoluted canon level system to be able to retcon in the idea that they weren't ever "real" Star Wars, so he could totally contradict them anytime he wanted. This was pure George - but it isn't pure Disney. After some dark times in the 80s and 90s, we're at a point where quality control is everything at Disney. There won't be anything - not a comic, not a game, not a novel, not a toy, not a Burger King collectible soda cup - that will leave the warehouse with a Disney-owned Star Wars logo on it that doesn't support, jibe with, flow with, and fit in with their tentpole movie releases.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wow, where does this infinite knowledge of what Disney will be doing stem from?

25. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Speculation The Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.