main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels canon level?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    From what Disney has done with the rest of its entertainment empire. Get used to Star Wars being run the Disney Way.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Disney said that the stand-alone character movies were not going to be a part of the Saga but a part of the EU ( it was said when they made one of the first announcements ), so the stand-alone character movies would be C-canon.
    So :
    G-Canon will contain Ep I-II-TCW Movie-TCW TV Show-III- SW Rebels -IV-V-VI-VII-VIII-IX
    C-Canon will contain EU and stand-alone character movies.
    because no source anymore exists about a T-canon as the sw.com forums have been shut down so T-canon and George Lucas has merged T-canon in G-canon as there is no difference between TCW and the movies, so movies + TCW is the saga.
    Until Disney changes it if it happens but for me it will always be the George Lucas way, he created all of this so he knows better than Disney what is right from what is wrong.

Darth_Harmon likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what canon levels will be included in the starwars.com encyclopedia in the future.

4. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I hope there's a category for "things we like to pretend never happened"

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Slightly inaccurate... Disney said the spin-offs wouldn't be part of the Saga, meaning not part of the numbered "Episodes". That's all.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Canon will basically be:
    1. Episodes 1-9
    2. Spin-off films
    3. The Clone Wars
    4. Rebels

Everything else will be EU. Still canon, but on as high of a level as the other "cinematic canon" as LFL is calling it.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  7. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    So it's quite accurate, if it's not part of the saga, it's EU.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I consider anything not in the six movies to be EU, hence the 'expanded' universe.

9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The show will most likely and will be on the same level as "The Clone Wars" in terms of canon - on the same level as the movies, but higher than comics, books and games.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think the canon system will become more blurred or irrelevant for a couple reasons. For one, the canon hierarchy largely seemed like it existed to feed Lucas' ego. His version of events is that Howard Roffman pitched the EU to him as an alternate universe that would in no way impact the films - giving Lucas free reign to contradict anything he wanted. Star Wars was Lucas' baby and he wanted to ensure that he could raise it however he wanted without input from old Uncle EU.

In the case of Disney, Star Wars is not their baby. They own it, but they don't have that same emotional investment in it that Lucas had. I think they will merely do whatever makes them money, and I don't think they will approve a TV show with the express intention that they may overwrite it at a later date. I don't see the desire to constantly reassert dominance over the franchise as being as big of a thing for Disney as it was for Lucas. They seem to be more interested in getting an All-Star TEAM on board for Episode VII for instance, rather than pulling a Lucas and putting a single person in control. I think they'll be more amenable to playing with others in the Star Wars universe, so long as it's profitable. If the EU proves to remain profitable, we may see it get folded into a single level of canon, rather than maintaining the convoluted hierarchy or who can contradict whom that Lucas had (which put Lucas at the top).

Having said that, this is my guess at what will happen going forward. Whether or not future Star Wars projects like Episode VII or Rebels will steamroll existing pre-Disney continuity, and how badly, have yet to be seen.

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Indeed. Even though....
    Lucas acted almost the same. He owned, he produced it and he did not care for the EU other than what made him money.

Given that Filoni at times cares more for the EU than Lucas, we might see more and more EU elements in Rebels being treated better than what was done to TCW's EU relationship. With Lucas not so involved, we might get a better linking with the EU and the things that already exist in this time frame.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm tempted to call the pre-Disney EU "Tatooine-1" and the post-Disney EU "Tatooine-2". Anyway, I would expect "Tatooine-2" "EU" material not to cover important events.

13. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    No, it's just not part of the numerical episodes. It'll still be just as canon as the Saga.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But without GL's treatments...

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    But GL's not really involved anymore. Let's leave fans out of this.-mod edit

16. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I assume canon levels will change. This is how I foresee it:

S-canon: Saga canon level; the films in the saga, from I-IX.
    F-canon: Film canon; the spin-off films.
    T-canon: The television shows The Clone Wars and Rebels.
    C-canon: Continuity canon. The books, comics and video games.
    N-canon: Non-canon. Most of the Marvel comics, the parodies, infinities and other material.

At least, that's how I would have made it. :p

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  17. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I think it's canon level will depend entirely on if i like it or not.

At least for me personally.

18. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think that anything that will appear in the movie theatres under the Disney name you can pretty much rate as the highest level of canon. More than likely you will be able to put the television shows in that same category. The books and games will probably continue to be a lower level of canon (some of their stuff may get adopted into the higher levels of canon and other things won't get adopted)..

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if we'll have a "Tatooine-1" and a "Tatooine-2".

20. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I assume that Rebels will be T-Canon. Or maybe as others have mentioned some Disney type canon. [face_dunno]
    Oh goodie.
    *Takes out box with a label that says "TCW related things that I like to pretend never happened"*
    *Puts in paper with the words 'Mandalore's Poison Tea, Jogan Fruit Cake & Droid Spas, Obi-Wan getting beat up in S4, and A Sunny Day in the Void' on it inside the box*
    *Seals box tightly and then sends it to some polar bears in the Arctic*

21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The Star Wars wiki is back up and T canon is still around for now.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#cite_note-5

IMO, I throught the dual canon, dual universe approach Lucas used worked well so that both the film purists and EU completists would be correct and happy. For example: X happens this way in the films, while X happens this way in the EU, both lines of continuality were correct from the dual canon view. But I guess hardliners on either side probably didn't like it.

Even TCW contradicts the first 6 films several times from changing the gunships to giving key film characters altered personalities which is why I think it was given T canon rating instead of G. It is a shame Filoni, Lucas, and Disney are merging the dual universes into one again which is bound to restart canon arguments on a wide scale. The EU has also contradicted the OOT several times let alone the SE and PT.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where did you hear that?

23. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Didn't think there ever was a dual cannon approach such as what you get in other stories where there are alternate universes. In Star Wars I thought it was always (and still is) a situation where C cannon could be considered the way things happened until G or T cannon comes in and retcons it.

24. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013

Cad Bane ?@A_Targaryen 14h
    Infinata is the start of the Rebel Alliance from TFU considered canon with the Rebels storyline? Or is TFU not canon at all?
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
    Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 1h
    @A_Targaryen no. The TFU version isn't canon. The season 5 Clone Wars stuff is.

Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 21 Nov
    @A_Targaryen and keep in mind, some story threads were started with no intent to end them in TCW, but instead somewhere else.

Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 6 Nov
    @clubjade I like the canon Fett from films and Clone Wars. But the EU Fett is kind of ridiculous.

Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 4h
    @86Cujo George was always candid when asked in interviews: he doesn't read the books and said his films were only beholden to his films.

Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 5h
    @starsymbiotes in the future... We're working on it. :)
    View conversation Reply Retweeted Favorited More
    @starsymbiotes and then everything else was EU. Stuff that might be true. Might also not be.
    View conversation Reply Retweeted Favorited More
    @starsymbiotes I can say that in the past, if it was intended for the screen and developed by George Lucas, it was canon.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

TCW contradicting the films gave me much more of a headache than it contradicting the EU.

But if people can choose to believe T-canon instead of G-canon or C-canon or WTFEVER canon...I suppose it makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.